Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You typed it for the thanks but that's not what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well yea Salah will be leaving in January off to Côte d'Ivoire, I don't think he would have time then to talk about transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

"Wouldn't mind a Hendo this season tbf."

I think that qualifies as lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

To be fair, we all thought that Hendo might take on the Milner role in the team, but as it turned out, Endo is far more useful so I'm glad things are how they are. Since Jordan wanted out, good luck to him. I'd honestly forgotten about him till the recent discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Salah was the 5th person to score 200 goals for us in 131 years.

Thankfully he seems obsessed to move higher up that ranking list.

As someone else mentioned, he probably earns a million per week all in, unless the club force his hand then he will want to stay for 2-3 more seasons to try to get to 250+ goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Reckon he would love to be 3rd on that list which is achievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yesterday’s ruling by the European Court of Justice does not change Liverpool FC’s previous stance on a proposed European Super League. Our involvement has been discontinued.

We will continue to work with fellow clubs through the ECA and participate in UEFA competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Effectively a holding statement. I think most of the EPL clubs will be keeping their powder dry and seeing how this plays out. The big Continental clubs have a big issue competing with the EPL, and now that the EPL clubs have taken in the oil nations in board with no effective policing they have to do something to compete, and this looks like it's it. We dipowd our ties and showed our hands last year, they count be first to jump this time.

Interesting times ahead, for better or worse....its a big challenge to UEFA this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Perhaps, but I know exactly what you meant and it had to be said.

• Advertisement

What did you think I mean?

I'll tell you what I meant.

Sobo and Mac are untouchable but after that no one has nailed down a starting place and we have varied strength in depth.

Big Endo fan but half the forum was criticising him until recently. Jones can be poor for months but then have a game like Wednesday and we forget his other shortcomings. Grav has really struggled to make an impact.

Elliott has been the most impressive imo but rarely as a starter in a league game.

Saying Hendo would have a place in that squad isn't pining but don't let it stop your thanks baiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

With Kane gone, Mo is the highest currently playing player in the all time EPL list too, just after breaking into the top 10 this season.

If he stayed for 1 further season he could close to top 5.

No.     1         Alan Shearer        260     

2         Harry Kane             213

3         Wayne Rooney        208

4         Andrew Cole           187

5         Sergio Agüero         184

6         Frank Lampard        177

7         Thierry Henry         175

8         Robbie Fowler         163

9         Jermain Defoe         162

10       Mohamed Salah      150 (11 this season)

21       Raheem Sterling      120 (5)

23       Heung-min Son       113 (10)

Mo is 78th on the list if you discount that football was invented in 1992.

Thinking there is a place in that squad for Henderson is lunacy. His decline last year - though not as catastrophic as Fab - was obvious.

He would have offered absolutely nothing this year on the field with the exception of experience and leadership.

Playing him ahead of Endo, Jones, Elliott and Grav (I'd agree with you on his lack of impact) or even the thought of it is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't mind that Hendo's gone at all, and don't miss him - particularly in light of his so-disappointing about-turn about his new employers - but it wouldn't have been the worst thing to have him on the books over the first few months. He'd have played 6, with Mac Allister then free to play left CM, beside Szobo in right CM. That alone would've been of value to us while Endo was bedding in (as so many stated after he signed, Endo was never gonna be a regular until christmas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Could Salah overtake Fowler this season? It's not too farfetched. A couple of braces will get him very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

I think Mo stays one more season after this. Him and Virgil will want one more crack at the Champions League (and PL).

After that I think it's a case of seeing how his form is and if he wants to stay. Could be rolling one contract extensions. VVD in the same boat.

Whenever they leave, they'll go as club legends in my eyes. Both strong candidates for a place in the all time Liverpool XI.

I've a weird bad feeling about tomorrow.

Can't get the 2001 1-2 Xmas Anfield loss to 10 man Arsenal out of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Mo has one more year on his contract after this season. If he wants another crack at the CL, he'll have to sign an extension next summer as we don't want him leaving on a free the following one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lads need to loosen up and enjoy Mo while he's here.

He's a tremendous player, a real lad by all accounts, and a true legend. Why waste the next 19 months(as well as tge last 12) worrying about whether he'll stay or go, enjoy the ride.

Mo comes across as a good egg, I doubt he'll be anything other than straightforward and honest in his dealings with the club. He'll do right by the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. A rolling one year contract might suit both sides. There’s a risk to Liverpool if you sign a player at his age on huge money on a multi year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You suggested that after the crack at the CL for the 24/25 season, see how his form is and if he wants to stay....but his contract will be up (summer 2025) so he can just leave for nothing if he wishes. Offering him a rolling contract at that time is too risky. Unless you've made an error or your original post or I'm reading it incorrectly. I'm suggesting that at the end of this season, when he'll have 1 year left to go, a decision has to be made then.....offer him an extension, and if he doesn't want one, sell him then rather than having him run down his contract and get nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

but but but he brings "Chaos" 🥱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone remember the time Jota went 31 games without a goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

Well if Barry on twitter says it,it must be true

What would Klopp know...

Karen on Facebook deserves a crack at picking the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

its pretty obvious its true. the mans a mid table player and thats being generous to him, take the blinkers off lads , he's not up to it

It's really not, though

He's not what we all want to be, that's obvious, but the potential is evident

He's constantly active, always making things happen, never has an anonymous game (unlike every other forward in our team, possibly the league). His running in behind is often mistimed and he's offside too much, but it causes defenders headaches and can be finetuned

His instinctive shooting is great, and he can learn not to overthink when he has time, which is currently his biggest weakness

He's come on so much on the last year with his link up play, as evidenced by his assists this season

People may say he creates chaos as shorthand for all of that, but that doesn't mean it's an oversimplistic argument

He clearly had a long way to go, and is not justifying the transfer fee yet, but when I see people say he's useless I genuinely don't believe they watch him in games. It's a reductive argument suggestive of people who watch football through youtube highlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I think I read a yellow card for Darwin this evening will mean he'll miss the Burnley game but if he avoids a yellow that amnesty or reset of yellows kicks in after this round of games

Missed yesterday's press conference. Nice to see this from Klopp. People make out it's just him moaning about fixtures, but here he is, defending another club...

“I saw that West Ham play the 12.30 tomorrow. You have to ask the question: is that right? You’re playing a competition where each team should get the same treatment. People think it’s all right to put West Ham in that game and criticise David Moyes in the week when he makes changes [against Liverpool in the Carabao Cup]. What was his alternative? We have to make changes otherwise you cannot get through this.

We play at 5.30pm tomorrow – that means the boys sleep longer. West Ham get up at 7.30 and at 9 they throw in the noodles! How is that fair? Why can’t they look at that, whoever is doing it? For once, put your [club] shirt away and just think about general football problems. Somebody has to change. They say: ‘Well yes but you signed the [broadcasting] contract.’ It has nothing to do with that.”

I hope so. Going to the Newcastle game with the young lad and it has been a loooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time since I was over. He's desperate to see Salah but I'm equally interested to see Nunez.

His redeeming quality for me is his belief in himself. Some frustration yes but he doesn't appear to get bogged down with his own failings. He keeps going.

I'm able to look outside his price tag at what he does bring to the team (already mentioned in Electric Nitwits excellent post above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

To be fair it's surely should be simple for a professional footballer not to be constantly offside.

I think he has great potential but he does some silly things at times that I can easily see why people are getting annoyed after 18 months. I think he's gotten worse at offside the last few weeks or else I didn't really recognise beforehand.

Alright, moaning aside.

I'm starting to see his head drop a fair bit in recent games (as it would with anyone in such bad form) but I think even his own self belief is starting to wane a bit.

Enjoy it though. Nowhere near as concerned playing Newcastle now as I was a few months ago but I spose if utd can successfully low block us then Newcastle probably could too!

I admire your faith.

I think that kind of post held more weight a year ago but we'll see.

Hopefully we aren't still talking about potential in another year's time.

Please god he can terrorise Arsenal today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭ratracer

It must be the Christmas spirit(s), but I’m hopeful we’re gonna get back on track today and pull out a superb performance that we’ve really not yet seen this season from the lads! Top for Christmas!

Come on you Reds! YNWA 💪💪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He'd need to hit a goal a game pretty much. Remember he misses two or three because of AFCON

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It’s 5 for the first 19 and then 10 for the first 32. He’ll have to not get booked in the next 2 games to avoid a ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The ones in the West Ham game were very tight and with VAR might have been on.

I think some of them are because people are slow to release at times but most are Nunez just being oblivious.

I think his head has dropped a bit and especially in the West Ham game. He needed that one off the post to go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1st is achievable , in Salahs last 6 seasons, not including this one, he has averaged 30 goals per season, he only turned 31, 6 months ago. Salah will be 34 before you see a drop off in form, he just needs to stay at the club to catch Rush, and to score 15- 20 more goals in second half of this season.

Klopp's final column in the matchday programme for 2023 ahead of Liverpool's meeting with Arsenal at Anfield this evening.

"Welcome to Anfield for our Premier League fixture against Arsenal, our final home game of 2023 and an opportunity to end what I would call 'the year in front of our own fans' in a really positive way.

"I know fixtures against Arsenal are always looked forward to anyway because our clubs are two of the biggest in English football, but the timing of this one – just before Christmas Day and with the two teams positioned where we are in the Premier League table – will hopefully make the atmosphere even more special.

"I spoke about the atmosphere after our win against West Ham United in midweek and the only reason for that was because I know how good it can be at Anfield and what a difference it can make. The truth is that if we have our fans on their toes it is a massive help. It really is.

"One of the things I believe most strongly in football is that when the fans and players are singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak, you become a much more powerful force.

"There are so many examples of this and so many of them happened at this place that it can only make sense that we should look to create some more.

"Arsenal arrive as league leaders and this speaks for itself. We do not need any reminders of their quality, their form or their ambition – all of this is clear in the results they have had this season and further back. This also means that the job Mikel Arteta and his staff have done there speaks for itself.

"So while welcoming Arsenal to Anfield, I do so with huge respect for what they are doing under Mikel's leadership. A team which was already really, really strong last season was added to with even more quality during the summer, so it is clear that they will be contenders once again. Like our supporters, we will have to be on our toes for this game.

"The fixture schedule at this time of year does not give us too much time to reflect on what has gone before but I would like to take the opportunity afforded to me by these notes to take stock of where we are right now and the direction that we are heading in, particularly after qualifying for the semi-finals of the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night.

"That we will head into the New Year still involved in all of the competitions that we entered at the start of the season is clearly a positive sign. We have not set ourselves any targets and we know that the hard work is only just beginning, but at the same time we have put some building blocks in place that will hopefully only help us going forward.

"The challenge now is clear: to keep going. Yes, we have cleared a lot of hurdles and some of the obstacles have been really big, but experience tells us that the challenges will keep on coming. We have to be ready for this.

"Finally, on behalf of everyone at Liverpool, I would like to wish all of our supporters and fans of all clubs a very Happy Christmas. However you choose to celebrate – or not – I hope and pray that you are able to enjoy it in the best way that you possibly can.

"Having been in Liverpool for a number of years now, I have become used to people wishing me 'All the best' and these simple words and the sentiment behind it are something I love.

"If we can wish the best to one another and mean it, we will not be in too bad a place I do not think. Without making too many exceptions, I would like to wish a particular 'All the best' to the staff, patients and parents who make Alder Hey Children's Hospital one of the most special places I will ever visit.

"We were able to visit earlier this week and the positivity is something that inspired me in a way that is difficult to describe. It is clear that we are blessed to have this kind of facility in our city."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

As predicted by many of us, Fernandes missing the game last week was ideal for them to get a 0-0. Wonder what Roy Keane will say about West Ham’s post match interviews?

Still living on that famous draw. Big ask for them to get top 4 now. Good for us obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Could do with them getting a plucky underdog draw/win against Arsenal or Man City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just saw Man City had their game postponed this weekend because of the Club World Cup, must be nice

Nunez in 1373 minutes has 7 goals and 8 assists

1373 divided by 90 minutes, is 15.25 games, although games these days are 98 minutes or longer, either way he's contributing so much, also no player has walloped the woodwork more than Nunez this season, call it unlucky, or poor finishing, who knows.

Hit Woodwork in PL

No 1: Nunez 5

No 21: Salah 1

Add the strikes on the woodwork, to the ...

Big Chances Missed In PL

No2: Nunez 15 😮

&

Most Offsides in PL

No2: Nunez 14

All leads to huge potential , for what is a young player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

To be fair City bound to be exhausted after digging deep for 4-0 and 3-0 wins and an open yacht parade in Abu Dhabi.

No Nunez!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement