Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So that's Robertson,Tsimikas,Matip,MacAllister,Thiago and Jota all out injured at the moment. Can we call it an injury crisis yet🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Endo was excellent again tonight, arguably MOTM, Gomez was also very good, honestly we'll be fine at LB with Gomez, actually think he's better there than Tsmikas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As a defender yes but offers little going forward, maybe that will suit the way we are set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

The goal aside, the back 4 defended very well. Konate MOTM for me but Endo did play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

He'd feel right at home in this current squad then wouldn't he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,706 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh , I thought they said AFCON on sky .I didn't know Asia was on as well

Diaz and nunez have 7 premier lge goals between them

Dominic solanke has 8 playing for bournmouth

BRING BACK SOLANKE

He does'nt really need to be great going forward, prime Fabinho was never great going forward, No.6 for us has a specific primary job and that is to win back possession high up the pitch/stifle counter attacks, Fabinho did that excellently for us and Endo is doing a fine job lately.

The two things going against Endo at the minute is lack of pace when he does'nt win that first tackle and also his age, but he buys us some time to find the No.6 that is the right fit and also the right age for us.

He'd be better then nunez any day of the week and we'll you know it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

City will roll up their sleeves and march ahead now I feel.

We had our chances.

Could do with some inspired signings in Jan.

Konate was excellent too, makes such a big difference in our back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,404 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gomez won't be able to play every game. He's covering RB, CB and LB at the moment.

Tsimikas and Matip out for the season. Robbo probably not back until late January. I think we could do with a left sided defender in January that could play CB/LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sorry I was replying about Gomez should have stated that !

Either you are trolling or not watching the season the rest of us are. Liverpool are ahead of where most expected them to be with the midfield rebuild .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Up to a point, Joe is having a good season and has filled gaps all across the bact 4 very well, even this week he has covered all 4 positions. He can cover LB quite well, won't give much in attack but as cover that's fine.

The problem though is there is no cover, Ibra cannot play 90 minutes bc some after game without getting injured, his body doesn't seem up to it (he's carrying a lot of body mass around) and the only ones now to give him a rest if Joe stays at LB is Quansah and the returning Nat Phillips.

Doak is also injured for whoever made that list earlier, not an integral player but well able to carry minutes at times, if even to give others a break here and there, and would be handy when Mo goes away given the other absences.

To be fair, Big Dom scored more goals today that Man utd have this MONTH lol.

• Advertisement

Big Dom has 8 goals in the PL this season. That's double all United forward players goals combined in the PL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

He's a troll. Man Utd fan with a few accounts. Thought the mods would have him banned by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Hard to see how this season will go from here.....

1. We're way ahead of schedule on Klopp's rebuild of the squad. 1 point off the top on Christmas Day is quite remarkable given our performances of late (not including today's as I felt we were definitely the better side and deserved the win). Plenty of key squad players out injured (another one today) yet we're right in the mix.
    2. We don't have that killer instinct - and it's been proven on a few occasions - to turn draws into wins. That should have been a win today, last Sunday the same. Simply not enough goals coming from midfield and still a ridiculous overeliance on an ageing Mo.
    3. It's one of those seasons when winning a title - United were masters at this - doesn't require a ridiculous number of points, just enough to be better than our challengers. I think draws like today and last weekend will bite us hugely in the 2nd half of the season when City and Arsenal (possibly) stretch their legs.
    4. Mo and Endo (who really looks to have settled in well) will be big misses at a crucial point in the season. That gap at number 6 will look even bigger in the coming weeks - really hope we address it in January, though it's unlikely.
    5. A 3rd round defeat in the FA Cup to Arsenal might not be the worst thing in the greater scheme of things, especially with a quite favourable Carabao Cup semi-final draw and more games to come in the Europa League.
    6. Misfiring strikers the biggest worry for me at this stage. Gakpo's form has dropped off a cliff, Nunez has been really poor and Diaz is possibly in the worst form of his Liverpool career. The importance of Jota cannot be understated.

Anyway, been great following the club this season - exciting as hell for the most part. Here's to more of the same.

Just on point no. 2. We have got plenty of goals from midfield imo. The problem is our front 3 are misfiring big time at exactly the wrong time

Plenty? In the PL, we have the following:

Mo 11

Nunez 4

Jota 4

Diaz 3

Szobo 2

Trent 2

Gakpo 2

Everyone else 1. I just think that now when the front line aren't firing, the mids should be stepping up with goals but it isn't really happening.

• Advertisement

MacAllister,Elliott and Endo have also scored goals in the league this season. To me anyway our forwards not scoring is our biggest problem at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The current squad that is 1 point off the top of the table with half a season played, in a cup semi final and won the European group, while also managing a large injury list?

Yeah I'm sure Kozma would fit right in alright.

Just to add to this, Liverpool have scored 37 PL goals so far this season.

Man City have scored the most with 40.

Villa 38

Spurs 37

Arsenal & Newcastle 36

Liverpool have conceded the (joint) least number of goals and have the best overall goal difference. It's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's the concentration rather than the overall amount.

Just can't see us coping without Mo.

Not without doing something drastic like a 4-4-2 or something

Hadn't remotely suggested it was all bad! I'd just like a spread of the goals from a squad peppered with players who have goal potential. No Mo in Jan so time to step it up hugely.

• Advertisement

I wonder will we set up differently with Salah gone? And maybe even show how future Liverpool might look.

Move away from wide forwards cutting inside and more play outside down the wings and creating chances for a CF in Nunez to finish? Gakpo playing off of him? More direct etc. Like how Nunez was fed when playing for Benfica, and the Newcastle away game earlier this season too. Balls for Nunez to run onto and finish.

Actually buddy I am a liverpool fan since the early 80s and have one account,just because I have a different opinion doesnt make me a troll,if your happy with this current liverpool squad and the way we are playing then good for you I'm happy for you.

I am not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

City are laughing, neither us or arsenal are legitimate challengers. I'm done with all title talk till march, if we're still close by then I'll entertain it.

Honestly expectations at the start of the season were top 4, Europa league and maybe a domestic cup. Well do that I think, and build again next summer towards a complete squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,511 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Last 15.

The truth is no one is truly at it, so it only takes someone to grab this chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Semis of the League cup

Last 16 of the EL.

2nd in the league at Xmas.

Tough man to please but while the squad is definitely far from perfect, all the above is going well regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Seriously lads I'm very disappointed with nunez and also gakpo for a big man is too easily muscled off the ball without and resistance and he just looks too timid, Diaz is having a poor spell buy hopefully can rediscover his old form. Gravenberch for me has not impressed one bit and any time I see him play I'm fierce disappointed, I know it's early days for him but I was expecting so much more from him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Diaz is cooked since his injury. Lost that explosive pace over the first yard, looks sluggish. Pity, looked a special player before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Nunez drives me up the wall, such inconsistency, I think gapko is solid but not getting a run so he's getting it hard to find form, I think he would be better if they left him and Nunez on together today.

Diaz has disappointed me the most recently. With our forwards being so so poor and where we are, I keep thinking where we could be if those were firing but also where we can go if we strengthen in January it's all there for the taking.

Gravenberch turned 21 few months ago, looks 32, but he's just a kid playing in the toughest league in the world. He deserves time, Fabinho was shocking when he arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He's shown well at times, clearly there is talent there (he was good in the first half last week against United for instance). He was shot after the break though, barely lasted 50/55 minutes. He's struggling to maintain the level required, hopefully it will come with time and he'll build his stamina.

I can't remember a CB having such a dominant performance against Martenili before. It was a man playing against an under 16s player.

Konate has all the traits to be one of the best CBs in the world but it's just if his body can hold up.

Klopp will mold him in time, ideally we needed two proven 27 year old midfielders last summer, but alas none arrived, Endo is only midfielder over 24, rest are ,19, 22, 20, 23, 18, 24, 21.

Plus Thiago, 32, but he hasn't played.

All we have in midfield is inexperienced kids who have won nothing, so it's actually incredible Klopp has them 2nd in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

wouldn’t go quite as far as calling them inexperienced kids who’ve won nothing… Mac Allister’s a World Cup winner, and Szoboslai has basically done nothing but win in his career so far… he’s a 23 year old with 4 league titles and 5 cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

One of them won a World Cup medal with his country, so hardly nothing.

True

But RB Salzburg have won the league and cup for the last 40 years in a row😅 Exaggeration, but for at least the last 10 years. And then Sobo won two cups with RB Leipzig. I don't doubt his ability, this is just another level for him, and the rest of the midfield. MacAllister is a WC winner, can't knock that, but Djimi Traoré is a CL winner. Sometimes you can be in the right moment at the right time. MacAllister is class though, I've always thought that.

My only point is there are young, and dips in performances are bound to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I've supported them since 1977 (i think). So I've seen them at their very best....Dalglish, Rush, Hansen, Souness etc. I'm not happy with the way we are playing this season. I've said on here recently that Alisson and Virgil are the only 2 that have been consistent this season. I'm not happy with the form of Diaz, Gakpo, Gravenberch or Nunez. I'm not even that happy with Salah. We all have our own opinions which is totally fine.... but mate, there's negativity, and there's you. You seem to hate the majority of the players. So why even bother? Why not wait until Liverpool are up to your standards and then maybe chime in? Because they just seem to make you miserable.

I'm of the opinion that you know your football, you can see when a team are good or not, and when players are playing well or not. But I just seem to see you in here when the team aren't playing well and you come in all guns blazing...."he's sh1te, sell him, worst signing ever".....everything is to the extreme. Which makes me wonder what goes through your mind that makes you want to come into the thread just to vent anger. Most of us get really angry when we lose, or play sh1t. But you take it to another level. And don't get me started on your air of superiority.

I am genuinely suspicious that you are a troll. Because something doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Enzokk

City are flawed as well this season. This is very much like 2019-20 for them where one injury leaves the squad short and the team short. So at the moment it is De Bryune, or when Rodri is not playing they look even more vulnerable. I did not see their matches at the CWC but seeing as they scored 7 without Haaland it is not the miss you would think. I do think a prolonged absence from Haaland will be better for them as a team. I think Pep knows that as well but you cannot drop Haaland.

It was a disappointing result for sure, but we did not get the rub of the green with the referee. On the other side of it Arsenal, who like us could complain about referees not giving them those calls some of the time, got them today. So hopefully one of the away games we need it this will be in our favour, although I know it will not even out during the season as that is not the way it works. But we did draw against a very good team today and we held our own. We probably should have won it with the shot from Trent that hit the bar.

Say it quietly, but we are once again a very good team. Will that translate into a league win? I don't know, but there is way too much moaning about players struggling on a tough day against a very good opponent when you weren't played off the park and should have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just for the record, even with the penalty, I don't think we automatically win. It might go level at that point and Salah doesn’t get to do what he ended up doing.

I'm more annoyed, to be honest, about Saka. He's a sneaky thug. Took out Taimikas and Diaz. Kicked the ball away. If he wasn't the golden boy, he's off.

And yet I'm still looking at some Arsenal fans online claiming that refs are corrupt against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

And Saka's 'facial' injury.

It does my absolute head in. Dominik did it against Utd (or was it West Ham) and I nearly lost the plot.

I see it at my boy's U8 trainings and how can they be blamed when they see their idols at it?

With so much technology out there, this should be stamped out across all the major leagues. Start docking wages for this sh*t and it might bring them into line. I'm at a loss as to why it is tolerated to the extent it is. Do players even be asked about it in interviews?

Advertisement