Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Interesting bit there where Klopp kept saying about the one year commitment between players and himself because of how contracts working and sackings as manager etc. It gives some insight to how he manages the squad over time and then renewing that commitment each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭roverjoyce

From a non Pool fan, i cant understand this love in for Klopp, am i missing something?

4 trophies in 9 years doesnt show a successful legacy with proably the best squad in 3/4 years

It was a squad 1 year after they should have won the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'd not been sure when JK contract was up but he's seeing it out as per his last extension. and I guess like a lot of other supporters we'd hope he'd renew again. Such a shame he wont be going further than this season. What a legacy he is gonna leave. The club will definitely have to build a statue for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Wonder would they be looking at Eddie Howe?

I don't think Newcastle would stand in his way and it would go down well with the pool fans I remember a lot seemed to be mega fans of his around the time ole got sacked from United.

Gonna be interesting too see how they rebuild the entire backroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Your lack of understanding is your own ignorance . He won every trophy going and won them the right way , winning the league by biggest distance in prem history . lost twice by a point with 90+ points to an oil state with 115 FFP charges which something Fergie or wenger never achieved or had to endure.

Without Klopp city would have turned the league into more of farmers league than the SPL with City winning by miles each year.

Klopp gone deeper in winning the quad than any other manager in history , won every trophy worth winning having to sell to buy to the point Brighton had a higher net spend than us before we bought Nunez.

Hes without doubt one of greatest premiership managers of all time and supporting Liverpool without him will take some getting used to.

Post edited by bdmc16 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,978 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Awful lot of rival celebrations going on for the departure of a manager who apparently wasn't that good anyway

I'm convinced some people don't even watch the sport, they just get on wikipedia and scroll to the "Honours and Awards" section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As a non Liverpool fan, I assume its not just about what trophies he's won. He changed the mindset of the club, and has been an extremely steady hand at the ship for years now. Clearly loves the club at every level, and always came across well in the press (even when i disagreed with him). He gave everything to the club, literally it seems, and is just burnt out from management.

Look at Spurs (touchy subject in here i know 🤣) with Ange. 6 months into his tenure and fans are actually enjoying supporting the club again. Went through years of utter shite, but we have a manager that seems to enjoy his job, and has changed things at the club already. We've won nothing, and may continue to win nothing, but the vast majority of fans will still be delighted.

And i'm not comparing Ange to Klopp obviously, just highlighting how important it is for a manager to fully embrace the fans/club.

There is no football fan on the planet who earnestly "can't understand why Liverpool fans love Klopp."

FWIW I agree with Kiith's post above and appreciate the genuine effort to explain it, I just don't think the question really needs answering. I don't believe that a single person would ask a question like that for any reason other than a weak attempt at having a dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

I thought he was looking too happy lately. He's been having an affair with his wife. His legacy to the premiership is to have kept it relevant as a contest during his time. His legacy to Liverpool fc is inestimable. We were so lucky to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They're not being ignorant, they know exactly what they're doing. Easy instant 'ignore' list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

While Eddie Howe would be appropriate for a team like united he wouldn’t have any business at a team looking to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

No point in explaining it if your not a liverpool fan bud,you just wouldn't get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

rofl.

The “club was made for the man”.

This god complex is hilarious.

Pep lijnders would be a great choice I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

Here they come, froth foaming at the mouth. They were fine and quiet for years.

Some shrewd decisions to made by FSG, whether that is Alonso or someone else. The director of football is another important signing and will be interesting to see who they get.

Anyways, a few more trophies yet to be won. Last crack of the whip.

Give them a break lads.

With how often we've gone 1-0 down and come back to win this season they must have typed out and had to delete dozens of messages in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Asa9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

There were a few posters here, myself included, who predicted that he would leave in 2024 and that the new contract till 2026 was to help with signing players in the meantime. It seemed plausible enough at the time but now thinking back that actually would have been quite deceptive to those new players so maybe it wasn't planned like this all along. Plus I had totally forgotten all about that and this has come as a total shock.

This could honestly be the last nail in the coffin of football for me. I've enjoyed it less and less this past few years for whatever reason. "Winning the league", my only experience of winning a league in my lifetime, was obviously destroyed as an experience for me (for all of us) and simply does not count as a league win in my head cos I never got to go to a champions parade like I had been planning for a bout a decade before it finally happened.

Alot of you seem to think this will give the players that extra 10% to win the trophies we would like to win this season but all I can think of is the year Fergie announced he was leaving and how bad his side were for the rest of that season. I really really hope I'm wrong here but this feels like the end...as in it's already over. Jurgen has given me the best times I have ever experienced supporting this team but, through no fault of his own, he has not delivered that champion's parade that I have longed for all my life and now with this announcement I just can't see it happening this year either. If Jurgen Norbert Klopp cannot deliver this then I can't see another man on this planet capable of it.

I'm heartbroken tbh cos I really thought it would happen, now I've lost all hope.

A few instant-ignores today by the looks of things! Mad how some lads just can't help themselves, even on a forum that's gotta be populated almost entirely by fellas over at least 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I actually feel sick.

The quality of managers being linked makes me feel even sicker. If it's not Alonso, I won't be happy.

You're missing footballing knowledge. And quite possible a brain. Although it's just very obvious you're trolling, nobody is that stupid. So just move along

Sounds like he's not in the running anyway, already announced as leaving the club in the summer. He's an interesting one to keep an eye on in his managerial career though, could be one to come back down the line.

• Advertisement

Bring back The Brain! He was the genius pulling the strings anyway or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jayus . A full back named Robinson and another named Robertson . The thread would go into meltdown 😷😷

What gets me about it is how somebody can be sitting at home thinking to themselves "Oh I know what I'll do, I'll go into the Liverpool thread today now that Klopp has announced he is leaving and feign ignorance claiming klopp wasn't all that good anyway and his trophy record isn't great. Oooooh that'll annoy them, they will be seething cos i'm such a smart guy"

LOL!!! Are people in this world actually that dumb?? Like I mean I guess the answer is yes cos that guy just posted what he posted but it just blows my mind how dumb some people are, especially while thinking they are being clever. It causes me to lose some belief in humanity that some amongst us can be so dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭cmac2009

You'll notice there's a larger majority out there that stopped developing mentally at a very young age. Saddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

This is a forum for Liverpool fans so perhaps you are lost, for someone you don't rate you have taken a bit of effort to convey your insights into this announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

For anyone awaiting March TV fixtures, they only announced the first weekend today (away to Forest staying at 3pm Sat) and said "remaining March fixtures will be announced in due course."

Useless buggers

So we thinking Kelleher or Alisson for the weekend? 😄

Would it have been better for jurgen to come out with this announcement at the end of the season,how will this effect the team from here on in,I hope to god it won't have a negative effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Absolutely shocked like everyone else when I heard the news this morning, but, also not totally surprised as he only did 7 seasons at both his previous clubs and has surpassed that already here, perhaps he was thinking of leaving last summer, but, stayed on, on to try to turn things around this season, which he has succeeded in doing.

I've supported Liverpool since the mid eighties, so have seen the highs under Dalglish where winning the league was taken for granted and and the absolute low under Hodgson. I remember the shock when King Kenny resigned (I think we were top of the league too, but, unfortunately unravelled after that), it feels very similar today, albeit Klopp is staying until the end of the season.

It's so hard to put into words the effect he has had on the club. He has made us serious challengers again, won all the major silverware again and given the club and fans some of the best memories in the clubs history. He is by far the best manager we have had in my time following Liverpool ( Shankly and Paisley were before my time).

I hope this pushes the players on to deliver another league title this season, it would be a fitting end to Klopp's time if he could get another league title, his efforts over the years certainly deserve more than one, he had the misfortune of coming up against a financially doped Man City with Gaudiola in charge, an almost impossible task to overcome.

Klopp is not only a wonderful manager, but, comes across as a wonderful human being too, someone that we can be proud and honoured to have been in charge of Liverpool for so long, he owes us absolutely nothing and I wish him and his family all the best in the future.

As for who takes over, whoever it is wil have massive shoes to fill. Alonso seems the obvious choice, one of my favourite Liverpool players ever and he'd be my choice too, would prefer if he had a few more years under his belt, but, I think he'll do well if given the chance and he'll also have the supporters on his side from the start which would help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

My opinion is that it's the right thing.

It gives people the chance to say goodbye I suppose, but more importantly I actually think it probably galvanises the team - whether it works out that way or not remains to be seen.

For Klopp and Liverpool it allows them to control the PR side of things, ie. not having a leak if they are contacting potential successors. The fact that if its works out like 2 years ago where we were so close to an historic year but don't quite reach that level, that it's not viewed as reactionary. Like a world where we just lose out to City again, and then maybe finish losing a cup final, if we were to also throw in losing Klopp in the mix of that it would be a nightmare.

I think for him, his family, the clubs ability to plan ahead, the players to be given the respect of knowing what lies in front of them - I think it has to be looked at as the right way to do things.

He explains it all in his interview. He wanted to keep it quiet longer, but ultimately was too hard to stop it getting out given the number of people he felt obliged to have informed (all the staff members etc) since it directly effects their careers and lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really don’t think it would be possible to keep quiet until then, especially with the club looking to start the recruitment process. So I can understand the club wanting to get the announcement out of the way without it being leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

"He's been having an affair with his wife"

as long as its not someone elses wife then good for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Don't know if it's been posted here already, but according to BILD in Germany it seems Alonso has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave at the end of the season for one of his previous 3 clubs if they come knocking (Liverpool, Madrid, Munich).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Was thinking the same regarding Fergie's announcement, United's season fell apart that year, so it could go either way for us. Sven Goran Ericsson was rumored to be lined up to replace him, but, Fergie's wasn't happy with that and did a U-turn, wasn't there a rumour last week to get Sven to manage Liverpool ( legends) after he announced he had terminal cancer, perhaps history will repeat itself and Klopp will perform a U-turn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Alonso looks best option out there. Xabi might be a bit inexperienced, but the foundation of a team Klopp is leaving, could go some way to give him the space to find his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Xabi was very cagey in his press conference. Certainly made no effort to deny his interest without really saying anything. Obviously he's still fairly inexperienced but I don't see a whole pile of options out there. Most big name managers are either past it (Mourinho) or already in jobs. Seems more likely the club will go for an up and coming manager but with the risk that they'll have never managed a club with the size and expectations of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

There's a bit of this going on today from certain sections. The vast majority of rivals know exactly why Klopp is a legend. But I'm going to treat the above question seriously, just in case you genuinely don't know.

He took a club that was doing nothing, and over the course of 9 years had us in major finals, winning finals, challenging for leagues (and winning one) against the greatest PL club team we've ever seen - all while totally getting the values of the club, blatantly being an amazing character, never really falling out with any players, always speaking his mind, and blatantly just being a superb human being.

His team also gave fans some unforgettable moments:

Comeback v Dortmund

The away win in the CL v City

Barcelona semi

Divock bar hopping header v Everton ... with the Klopp/Alisson celebration

CL win

PL win

Running City close in multiple run ins, having to win many games to stay in it - every game meaning something.

106 out of 108 points

Liverpool 7-0 Utd

Utd 0-5 Liverpool

And many more I've forgotten.

He's a legend who has given me more positive football memories over his 9 years than I could've ever managed.

A legend forever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement