Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mourinho mentioned before he reckons Alonso has what it takes. Given the type of player he was, the level of manager he played under, the level he played at and his father was a manager.

From an FSG standpoint he fits the recruitment policy too. I don't care what he says, he would swim to Liverpool to be manager, that opportunity might never come again.

De Zerbi I also like, don't rate nanglesmann and I hope to Christ we don't look at Tuchel, he has to be the most overrated coach around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What about Amorim from Sporting Lisbon?

Just as important as the next manager will be the sporting director. Could really do with Michael Edwards type director to oversee the next few years at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

Just on that point about a sporting director, in an ideal scenario should that appointment be done before the process of hiring a new manager?

For the sporting director role, I wonder how obtainable would Dan Ashworth be from Newcastle? He could be an excellent appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's a bit harsh, and I don't think actually shows that. Hughton didn't get poached or anything, he was sacked because he wasn't doing well enough. Nobody was exactly banging his door down after. And Potter is a manager of his level - he's decent, he's not top level. The things he was bad at at Brighton - getting the team to actually score goals - continued to be his same problem at Chelsea.

De Zerbi is a totally different kettle of fish, he's completely changed how they play and made a lot of their young players better. And if anything, you should look at Bloom's astute development as going from ok (Hughton) to better (Potter) to best (De Zerbi). If yo ubelieve their analytics and scouting are so great (which i agree with) then the fact this was the guy they plucked to take them further is a positive for him, not a negative. With each better manager brought in, they've demonstrably taken another big step forward.

He was already well respected from his work with Sassuolo and Shahktar too anyway, and there was no shortage of Italian journo's very excited by his move to the PL.

Definitely imo more important that a sporting director is appointed before a manager. James Pearce mention it in this article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,407 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was going to suggest him yesterday but don't see it happening. Giorna manager as well but he's City group so no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

This is exactly why we need a manager with past ties to the club,it's the way it was always done with lads from the old boot room,I know times are different now but we need someone who has liverpool in their blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,530 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I hate when clueless managers raid their old club as they have no experience in finding talent, huge red flag.

• Advertisement

Emery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Richard Hughes, the Bournemouth sporting director was linked last night.

We could look to the future and appoint an AI Robot Manager, kill em that way .

One thing I would say about Alonso v De Zerbi and their varying levels of experience.

De Zerbi hasn't really had that experience of being at a big club with all the expectations of winning every game, either as a player or manager. Alonso has had that expectation as a player, at numerous clubs. Obviously hasn't had it as a manager but he does have some experience as a player.

De Zerbi is struggling somewhat this season to balance domestic and European football in a tough league. Alonso is balancing European football and excelling domestically, in an easier league.

De Zerbi has much more managerial experience than Alonso and has also lifted a trophy as a manager, albeit in a much weaker league.

De Zerbi. Another one that shouldn't even be considered. No experience of a top club, farmers league managerial honours.

Brendan Rodgers v2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah, Potter took on the wrong job, even Poc is struggling there. I think he'll be more careful where he goes next, but nope, not us.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭antimatterx

This isn't Rodgers going for Joe Allen or Borini. It's a few steps above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Brighton have loads of injuries this year, so with European football to deal with for the first time, he's doing well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Very different character to Rodgers in fairness.

If you're writing off a bright up-and-comer like him, and only want top-club-in-top-league experience the list suddenly becomes very short, and mostly full of has-beens like Jose and Conte.

Who would actually be on it? Maybe Allegri? Maybe Spalletti after the Euros? Anyone else? Zidane perhaps, but he seems like a guy who only works in a specific set of circumstances. Luis Enrique when it all inevitably collapses at PSG?

So just say we can't get Alonso,who do we get? because going by your recommendations that makes it a very small pool to pick from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

FFS, This is exactly what we don't want. We need to look to the future, not to the past.

I don't know about De Zerbi. If I was to bring anyone from Brighton, it would be from the back office. We need to get things in order behind the scenes. Since Edwards left, there is a bit of a void there, and a lot of stuff seems to have been hanging in Klopps shoulders. The back office, likes of a sporting director or director of football will be our most important appointment in the coming year.

We won't get another man like Klopp to come in and do everything, we need to build proper structures to move us forward.

Newcastle & Chelsea poached all of Brighton's recruitment team already.

And their transfer business over the last 12-18 months haven't exactly been outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Anyone "from the real world" who thinks their is a chance of Mbappe coming to Liverpool does not "know their sport" unless their sport is not football of course. I've seen the type of people you mean and sure they watch football but they don't know it, they just parrot what they hear other people saying without thinking critically about it first. Far too many football fans are this way unfrotunately.

This is just moronic and ignorant tbh. Anything that anyone has ever complained about in this world has been done with the backdrop of major atrocities going on in the world somewhere so what exactly is his point? People should just always accept their lot in life and never complain about anything. The device he wrote that article on was probably put together by a 10 year old child in a sweat shop somewhere so I dunno wtf he is going on about

That's an interesting point I'd never thought of tbh. Xabi is probably more likely to stay longer than any other candidate due to his connection to the club and age.

And what about his connection with Real, if Real come calling in a few years won't he feel compelled to go there because of his "connection" with that club

That's nonsense to be honest. You might as well go for Gerrard so.

No I'm not saying his connection to us helps us land him but once in the job I think it helps him stay longer, that plus his age versus other candidates. Nothing to do with joining us in the first place so your question is moot.

I could be wrong of course but I think that is possible is all I'm saying. It's not something I would really take into account when interviewing for the job but it would be more like a nice added bonus if it transpires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If I was looking at value in the betting market I'd be looking at Emery.

He's longer odds than Gerrard which is mental.

• Advertisement

He's hands down the best candidate of the current favourites.

I'd take him in a heartbeat over Alonso and De Zerbi.

Gerrard I wouldn't let anywhere near the place. He's struggling in Saudi ffs.

Klopp has a great backroom staff, what does Alonso bring. Gerrard also, no staff, Gary freaking McCallister 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Wouldn't take Emery, his level has been found at villa, don't think he's a top tier manager, surprised no-one has mentioned Thomas Frank yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Emery hands down the best candidate to replace Klopp? Absolute madness. The man who bought Nicolas Pepe and David Luiz at Arsenal? Who totally failed to address the problems with that Arsenal team post-Wenger? He's a Europa League-level manager. He's had his shots at the big-time but failed at PSG, and failed at Arsenal. Did well at mid-table clubs: Valencia, Sevilla, Villareal and now doing well at Aston Villa. 

There are not many managers that do fit the bill (too old, burnt out or inexperienced) but Emery is one I really do not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was thinking about Frank too. I don't think it'll happen, but I'm also surprised he's not been mentioned more

• Advertisement

According to The Athletic Liverpool have made contact with multiple agents since November as they assess their options to ensure that the post-Klopp transition is as smooth as possible.

''The Athletic has also claimed that Brentford boss Thomas Frank is admired by the Anfield hierarchy.

Frank has impressed in his three seasons in the Premier League with the Bees, and the high-pressing, energetic style that he demands from his players is viewed as similar to the approach Klopp has implemented at Liverpool.

Frank is also known for his big personality on the touchline and in press conferences, much like Klopp.''

Frank I've always thought of as like a klopp-lite, wouldn't be a bad a choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

Thats exactly why I suggested earlier that the club should be looking at Dan Ashworth at Newcastle. Before joining them he did amazing work at Brighton. His time at West Brom is also held in high regard. He was also head of the England youth setup with the team enjoyed a lot of success a number of years ago. Surely Liverpool would entice him enough to leave Newcastle. If he can be got then for me he's the only choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Xavi is leaving Barca at the end of the season. Klopp wouldn’t…. Would he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Not next year but think he'd be far more likely to take Barca at some stage rather than Madrid. Think the latter would be far too Disney for him also.

Why you would leave Liverpool to go to that mess would be bizarre. Few years time maybe but but not now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We wouldn't... would we? 😉

I mean, no, clearly not. But the timing is kind of funny

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I recall Ange Postecoglou saying a few years ago that he was a Liverpool fan and he has an ambition to manage them. I think his style of management and football would be a good fit for Liverpool.

He'll be back in Liverpool in a few years time, I'd give him 4 years, before the epic return.🙏🙏

He would not turn us down if we are in a place of need.

What about Brendan Rodgers? Lets get real, he had to go once Klopp confirmed behind closed doors he'd love to manage Liverpool. But Rodgers was unlucky, lost Suarez, Sterling, and then Sturridge due to injury at the start of the season he got sacked, not sure how we'd do if we had lost Salah, Mane and Firmino with no replacements.

Just having a bit of a think here, and maybe it's coincidental, but it could be joining up the dots.

Klopp told FSG he wanted to leave in November. They had to get working on replacements then, and knowing what we know about the way they operate on player recruitment, there is always a plan in place for every scenario. A properly run club has to have those. The club will have a succession plan for Salah and for VVD and for Alisson, and many different routes can arise like we saw in the summer when they missed out on Jude, and moved to Mount but financially didn't work out so went for Szobozlai instead. The club have to work quickly in each scenario too, as if they are too late, they could miss out on the target. The initial talk was that Newcastle wanted Szobozlai and they ended up having pivot to Tonali instead. So why wouldn't they have a plan in place for Klopp with multiple routes, in different years, in different scenarios with different clubs going down different avenues. For example Pep leaving Man City and Man City choosing De Zerbi so he is off the market and so on.

But why is this relevant? Well it has been talked about for a few months, and not just for the last 2 days, that Alonso has this gentleman's agreement with Leverkusen about being allowed to leave if one of his former clubs (Bayern, Real Madrid & Liverpool) come in for him. There was a good bit of chat last year about Ancelotti leaving Real Madrid at the end of the season and taking over the Brazil job, and Alonso then replacing him. Real Madrid not against to giving a newbie the big job, as we've seen with Zidane. In December, Ancelotti then signed a new contract extension with Real Madrid for a another few years, even after a poor 2022-2023 campaign by their standards.

Were Real Madrid given a hint that Alonso was off the market, as Liverpool had acted quickly in the month after Klopp told Liverpool he was leaving? which resulted in them playing it safe and rather than join the manager market just keep things rolling along for another year and wait until 2024/2025 ish and see how things look then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Relax with the speculation lads,it ain't healthy, you don't know, trying to get inside people's heads you have never met.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Absolutely not for me, don’t like listening to him. Dead pan bluntness that almost polar opposite to Klopp in terms of passion and charisma during matches . 1 half decent season at spurs who are 5th. His refusal to adapt tactics (ridiculous high line) when being dominated would drive fans mental.

I really can’t imagine any other manager better suited to Liverpool than Klopp. Every option out there feels a huge downgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Honestly,if I start a next Liverpool manager thread it will probably be shut down but unfollowing this as they are obviously not separate, but they are separate discussions and msg count is too high,I will follow again when there is certainty, best of luck lads, hope you get your choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement