Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The decline in Mane's first touch is sad to watch.

We really could do with someone in the forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This is how this season will be, so many of the stronger teams will take points off of each other. It's a good point, we held our own, and will again away to Chelsea.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Without wanting to sound reactionary IMO our front 3 is stale and needs a fresh face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We should look at our best seasons. So many times the goal we scored to win was a set piece or a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The second half was a good preparation for facing Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Champions of Europe and Premier league favorite was there for the taking...

Think we need a bit wd40 and we'll be grand.

Top of the table.

It's a 35 game season now. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Roll on next game.

Only Spurs can make it 3 wins from 3. They are at home to WATFORD tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Not great looking back on the circumstances of the match to only get the draw, but this is still a Chelsea team that has spent almost 230m euro net the past 4 years. That is including a transfer ban where they sold Hazard for 115m euro. You don't win the Champions League by not being able to defend and this Chelsea team know how to defend. They only conceded 12 goals in the 19 games Tuchel was in charge last year.

So disappointing but this Chelsea team will make it hard for all the other teams competing for the title.

• Advertisement

No way United, City take 6 points from Chelsea, not a hope.

Two weeks till away to Leeds,

Damn international break during Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We do need another attacking player. Once Thiago and Jota come on, we don't have many other options up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Im still not sure what Thiago brings to the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd also like another option for the Fabinho position, when Henderson went off and Fab looked like he was close to picking up a booking.. I looked at the subs and there was nothing there that inspired confidence, Keita is not a No 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Chelsea miss to make it 2-0 was a big moment.

We lacked quality in our crosses.

A point is a good result considering we did not play well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hamstring injury for Bobby. Having a scan.

It seems Jota is being used to put pressure on Bobby and Mane's starting role isn't under any real pressure.

That is something that needs to be addressed for me Mane can't just keep getting free passes he needs someone to challenge him for a starting role.

Hopefully that means Bobby doesn't go to South America.

Taylor is a poor ref for all teams however he wasn't the reason we dropped 2 points today. We very often don't have a plan B. As hard as Mane tries these days it just is not happening. While it is disappointing especially as the game played out 11 v 10 it isn't the end of the world. On we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mane absolutely awful again.

Really poor 2nd half bar the first 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

In fairness I taught the Chelsea defence was very good.

They are are really good team but no way is Lukaku worth that money. I reckon he will have a great season against the fodder but up against top defenders he will struggle to have the same impact.

I taught the first half was a really good game between two top teams.

What a season this could be...

Disappointed that we didn't win but hell, we are as good as anyone in this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Terrible last 30 mins, same as last season not being able to break down the 11-men buses. Definitely need another attacker.

Klopp obviously has no confidence in Minamino/Ox & Origi so hopefully they are sold for their sake and replacement/s can be bought. I would love a move for Saka since Arsenal look like they are in turmoil.

It might sound odd, but I think we would have won if Chelsea hadn’t a man sent off. We are great at breaking quick on the counterattack and struggle when teams park the bus. Jota is a good header of the ball but floating the ball into a crowded box just doesn’t work unless you get a lucky break. In games like this, I’d like to see TAA play more centrally in midfield where he can have a go from outside the box. Virgil showed the way with his effort, there was another shot, can’t remember who it was where Mendy got down low and punched it straight out towards the penalty spot. This tendency to try and walk the ball in past a packed defence is going to cost us points against lesser teams who don’t intend to attack and just want to defend for a point or after they score. Very frustrating to watch, feels like we dropped 2 points instead of gaining one against a title rival. You could see after a few minutes of second half starting that this was going to end a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Horrible display again today, this team has lost its fight and passion, that 2nd half was hard to watch as a Liverpool fan, that front 3 is no longer effective, mane is finished, robbo should have been hooked at half time, there is zero creativity in midfield

Not much point in having virgil back if everything in front of him is incapable

Same problems as last season with the problems of scoring, after that 7-0 win against Palace its like all the magic has disappeared from the front 2(as Salah is still scoring for fun).

Then you have have Utd and Chelsea both signing world class strikers

How did Chelseas world class striker get on today?

We came up against an extremely well drilled Chelsea side. They are no slouches defensively.

If someone offered a 1-1 before the match I'd say a lot of people would have taken it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Stop would ya..

Mane wasn't great I will give you that but a horrible display!!!

Check that Chelsea squad. They defended well for the draw. We are right up there with them.

Bit of positivity please..we will do well this season. Did ya see Chelsea hugging each other as if they won. That's because they got a good result against a top team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I'd have taken 1-1 before the match but to play the entire second half with an extra man and create nothing is bad.

It pains me to say it but Mane needs to be replaced he was so bad and this is now a real problem to my eyes. Why a clearly not 100% Robertson started is also odd and Henderson had a bad day at the office. If this doesn't show how much we need to sign a quality player or two then I don't know what does.

Its moreso they addressed a problem and did something about it. He was up against the best cb pairing in the league to be fair. Had chances in first half for a couple of assist but final pass wasn't there.

Liverpool are going into there 4th depending on the same 3 with Jota only added. Mane is passed it, was way below standard last season and still looks below par now. He seems to be undroppable as no other options u less origi(who can't get a spot on the bench) comes in. Think one more attacker is badly needed as the AFCON will take a chunk of games as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That is some amount of waffle in one post. No fight or passion? Plenty as evidenced by the fact we got ourselves back into the game. Mane is finished? He was poor today, but was good in the opening two games. I'm not gonna bother going on.

Some of the posts here are just bizarre. People thinking or hoping we'll somehow be selling three squad players in the next three days and signing a replacement for each. Crazy, deluded stuff.

Mane is past it?

He literally scored a picture perfect volley in his last game.

He ball retention and ability to win the ball back high up the pitch is incredible and he done that today.

The went up against an 8 man defence in the second half.

No shame in what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Elliott is some talent, the future is bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya he's settled in well to first team life it seems. He was good for large spells today. Decision making towards the end could have been better but he's young and more game time will help.

If someone offered you a draw playing the entire second half against 10 men, I doubt you would have taken it before the match though.

Its tough for any striker, even a world class one to play well when your team is down a man and they retreat into an ultra defensive mode.

Yes, with 10 men, away from home, of course they were happy, they probably couldn't believe how easy it was

Mane hasnt done a rap in nearly 2 years, did you not see last season, or have you just brushed that under the carpet because he scored a goal against Burnley last week

Could have seriously done with shaq coming on today but alas the yanks prefer to have 8 mill in their ass pocket then to give a **** about lfc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not sure why minamino didn't come on?

Think Klopp would like another pacy forward, not sure we will get it. Think Chelsea will be there or there abouts so not too pushed on the result, beat the dross and don't lose to the big teams and we'll be there or there about ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

What a brutal 2nd half to watch. Not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

United, City, and Chelsea all dropping serious money this Summer. Even Arsenal have laid down some cash (although you can argue they did it poorly). I would have liked us to bring in just one player who we could get excited about. I can see us being just that little bit stale this year and not doing as well as we might have expected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1-1 against a very good team would have been a perfectly acceptable result so early in the season. I think in the context of the red card it seems like a big disappointment but Chelsea were always going to be difficult to break down with basically 9 players back in their own penalty area and only Lukaku up the field.

I think we need a couple players in but not sure how likely it is. I think it's obvious that Elliott is going to be a top player but it already feels like we're relying on him at only 18. No replacement for Gini and Shaq seems bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Any suggestions of a transfer target? Jones, origi,Philips, Milner (injured) didn't make the squad today, our only signing didn't make the team. We have an issue with a homegrown players shortage, Henderson hasn't signed a new contract and Milner can't play forever so that would have to be taken into account. Chamberlain hasn't taken his opportunities, without doing much wrong, minamino hasn't either. If the likes of Jones can't get into the squad he will want a transfer and with concerns about the future of at least three more homegrown players any big transfer in needs to be homegrown imo. Is sterling less significant than he would like at City? The squad is big, the likes of keita, minamino and to a lesser extent Thiago have not consistently delivered, with their wages they are not easily sold either and we are back to needing to buy homegrown players who would make a definite improvement to the starting eleven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I couldn't disagree more. If you ask me, he was more ineffective than effective whoever he came on as a sub. He's gone, no great loss.

But I do think that we need better attacking options.

Why? As someone previously said, Klopp doesn't seem to trust Minamino, Ox nor (understandably) Origi.

But they might have done better than Mané today. Worried that he might have another poor season.

Keita too inconsistent and injury prone. Milner getting old.

What has happened to Jones?

I think we will see a Henderson past his best this season.

Despite his obvious talent, I'm still not totally convinced by Thiago.

I think Gini will prove to be a big loss.

On the plus side, we have good defenders.

Elliot looks like he'll have a lot to offer in midfield.

I think Salah will again score the goals this season.

If not overplayed, I think Bobby and Jota will be good this season.

We've had a pretty good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The red card ruined the game for both sides today

Chelsea again have a great defensive structure and its vital you dont let them score first this season

He also missed an absolute sitter before that just like last season.

As I said we need a different option when he isn't performing(thought the volley might have did something for his confidence) I would have even liked Keita to come actually which I don't know why he was left on the bench all game.

Although I would have liked thiago on at ht. Henderson had a bad 1st half and against 10 men seemed like perfect timing for him to come on and dominate.

Really excited about watching Elliott this season if we had dropped 40m on him during the summer the buzz would be unnatural around but since he is coming up through the ranks he is nearly forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The team as an attacking unit is in serious decline, lets be honest here. Yesterday just showed again how clueless we are at breaking down defences, it's all gone very stale up there only Salah has maintained his form, Mane and Firmino are both offering very little this past year or two, even Jota who started off brilliantly doesn't look great, I know he's scored a couple this season but I thought his all round play looked class when he came in, now he just seems to score or be anonymous. I think a 3rd or 4th place finish this season is most realistic, honestly don't think there's a sniff of winning the league, not sure where peoples confidence is coming from tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement