Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Even though we've not seen him in a million years, I'm also delighted that Thiago is finally back from injury - it's also great that it actually matched the timeline they laid out a few months ago, that he would be back in full training by the end of January/start of Feb. Will take him a wee while to get properly up to speed I'm sure, but to have him as an option even just for 20 minutes here and there at the end of games is potentially huge. I'd never rely on him to be starting with any regularity again, but just little pockets of use here and there is a big bonus as we push on in 4 competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've been thinking for months that with so many comps there's be some use for him.

With Mac, Sobo, Jone, Elliot, Endo all playing well, I think it'll be even hard for him to get games in cups.

I'd love to see an impact similar to the 2021/2022 season though. Beating utd 4-0 at home for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bradley has been unreal.

But Trent is literally a generational footballer. And he's not a fully fledged midfielder, so he won't go there.

If he's fully fit, he starts at RB in the Arsenal game, and it's MacAllister, Jones and Szoboszlai in the middle. It's the second toughest game of the season. You start your best players if they're fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

We’ve rejected a 15 million bid from forest for Kelleher, lad could do with the move and realistically he’s only going to play one more game this year unless. Better safe then sorry I guess is the clubs stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We'd still get at least that for him in the summer and not selling now on deadline day allows for a bit of a bidding war on him in the summer

Even with those 5 options, basically all of them play every game when fit, with 3 starting and 2 coming on as subs. Being able to bring on a safe pair of hands in Thiago gives us the opportunity to properly rest Szobo, or Mac, or Jones for a full game - invaluable when the games will be coming thick and fast for the second half of the season. Never a bad thing to have a lad with Thiago's control and culture coming on late in a game. Would've been a nice option to have last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

What's been forgotten in the midst of the Bradley form is that Trent was one of the best players in the league before his injury. His form was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really makes no sense selling him now. Get the same or more buyers in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t think he’d be No1 at Forest either, so he’s as well off staying and hopefully collecting a few more medals before seeking a new challenge in the summer!

Matt Turner's made a few costly blunder's recently (including in their last game), so I wouldn't be surprised if whoever they sign is thrown in as starter alright. But it's still probably not the right move for Liverpool anyway, given there's no time to get a replacement backup and the drop to Adrian is a worrying one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Imagine Ali damages hus leg and is out for a few months.

Anyone fancy going for a Quad with Adrian?

Can't think of a single second choice keeper that I would trust more than Kelleher. I'd actually trust him more than a lot of first choice keepers.

He is worth his weight in gold by simply having him as an option. We go on about having so many options in different positions - having a good backup keeper could be absolutely crucial. It may be of benefit for him to move for his career, but not until we get an option better than Adrian as backup.

We can't lose a keeper on a Jan window anyway.

I don't think the keeper situation is a conversation for now but it certainly will be one in the summer. Especially if the talk of Kelleher wanting to leave and play first team football elsewhere is true.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a HG 3rd choice GK to come in and be the experienced cup player. But that also depends on how Pitaluga fares out in the LOI, to see if he is ready to step up to the first team.

Koumetio's gone on loan to Blackburn

A few preseasons ago he looked unreal, just shows how fine the margins for the kids coming through. Not sure we'll see him in red again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

Billy Koumetio has gone on loan to Blackburn. It'll be interesting to see how he copes with the physicality of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's mad that for the last few years, I couldn't conceive of a Liverpool team being able to function without TAA and Robertson, now there is a strong case for neither to start on Sunday.

I'm not sure how Klopp will play it. I suspect Gomez gets the nod, he's been really excellent recently. On the right, it's close but TAA was great in the FA cup match and is a generational talent, I think he starts but Bradley is pushing him close.

Fantastic to have such a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think Gomez and Trent start.

It's up to Robbo to earn his place back, Jo has been excellent and the team shape is really good with him at LB.

Trent/Bradley is different. Conor is only 20, earning his corn, but even physically he had to be minded and can't play 90 minutes several times a week - we fvcked Baijetic doing that last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Bradley has been MOTM in the last two games. I wouldn't be dropping him. He played 53 games for Bolton last season so I'm not convinced he needs minding. He only played 70 mins against Chelsea too. It's just lovely having a RB who won't let a winger waltz past him all the time.

I'd keep Gomez in also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Exactly, start Bradley and let trent sweat it out on the bench, kick up the behind would do him no harm, the way he gets beaten sometimes makes u wonder is he doing it on purpose so he won't be asked to defend

Are ye forgetting that Trent was one of the best players in the league before his injury, overall and not just his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think Trent will start on Sunday with Bradley coming on with 15 or 20 to go. Bradley gets a rest and will start other games before season ends. Good squad management with so many games left. I think Gomez will start too with Robbo coming on.

Robertson and Trent have to come back in. There is plenty of games for Bradley and Gomez still, Robertson and Trent were out due to injury not lack of form. Bradley can keep working and impressing in the squad, there is a new manager on the way in he will have his own ideas. Players will leave, the selection we are looking at now could be different under the next manager who isn't far away.

Does Trent need a kick up the behind? He's one our most important players. He is a totally different profile of player to Bradley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Probably from that tackle where he set up Diaz goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Robertson does not have to come straight back in. Gomez has been rock solid this season and he does not deserve to be left out just because Robbo is back.

It's up to Robbo to force his way back into the team. TAA is a little different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I agree, I think Robbo has been out a lot longer than Trent and will take longer to get up to match fitness.

Start with Gomez and Trent and have the options then of taking a midfielder off push Trent up and bring Bradley on with Gomez being a straight sub for Robbo to get 30 minutes under his belt.

With the form of the players we have there is no need to bring 2 players back to the first team after injury.

Catching the video, it was after 20mins apparently

"After 20 minutes, somebody stepped on his foot and it was painful. He left the stadium in a boot, and not a football one"

Sounds like he probably did fairly well to play on but also, hopefully, not too serious

• Advertisement

I think Gomez & Trent will start, it is who I would pick anyways.

Nunez will be a big loss if he is injured and out. He caused Chelsea all kinds of havoc midweek, and tormented Ben White in the last game against Arsenal too when he was moved to that side. The spearhead of the attack missing and Gakpo doesn't strike that same fear into defenders.

Klopp has hinted that the re-arranged Luton game will take place midweek before the cup final.

Part of me says you'd be unlikely to play another 70 mins and be as active as he was if it was a break.

Hopefully just heavy bruising.

Yeah, confirmed that the x-ray was clear, just swollen. I'd optimistic he can play.

Would be an absolutely huge game for Gakpo if Darwin doesn't make it.

I'd almost wonder would we use , Elliott, Sobo or some other option just cos if Gakpo starts that's all our attackers utilized from the off.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gapko started either way, even in place of Diaz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be a big game for Gakpo alright. He's very much fallen to 5th choice of the 5 options up front. Jota, Darwin and Diaz have forged a nice partnership in Salah's absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Trent will start Sunday, I’ve no doubt on that. Bradley has been unbelievable lately, but this game is our biggest of the season so far. If Trent is back fit, he will start and Bradley may come on the see it out, if we happen to be winning with 20 minutes to go.

However, Gomez will definitely start on the other side. Robbo has had a long lay off and was very suspect in defense up to that point. The last thing he will want to face is going toe to toe with Saka for 90 minutes! 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

February games

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

They're posting Thiago training videos again, time for an injury setback announcement.

The biggest thing that Bradley has done, apart from show his obvious talent, is illustrate the danger and effectiveness of a good overlapping fullback.

Trent obviously offers something in the central, underlapping role, but we see with Bradley a good player offering width at pace who is able to deliver accurate passes and crosses is very hard to counter when done well. For the last while, with Gomez (who is not a natural attacker) and Trent (who now tends to come inside more) at 2 and 3,we've lacked that width and very often we've struggled to break teams down.

Nice to have options with both of course, but they are very different players nowadays.

It is a joy to see him with the ball for those 30 seconds though 😋

Looks like Nunez trained today which is a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

Bradley reminds me of a younger Robertson, with more composure and technical ability. He has reinvented our attacking play on the right by utilizing the width of the pitch on that side. We lost that when TAA began to play more centrally and left Salah as the lone player on the right.

On Sunday, I'd be delighted to see both of them start. Bradley can shackle Martinelli and get him turned around. TAA can pull strings in midfield alongside Mac Allister and also provide cover for Bradley. If Nunez isn't fit to play then we're a lot easier to defend against having Gakpo on the right without somebody going outside him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Salah had a video up yesterday on his Instagram of him running outside in straight lines. Seems to be making good progress. If he doesn't make the Burnley game then he should surely make the Brentford game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think Trent has been too bad defensively this year, probably more to do with actual cover in midfield than anything else.

As for creativity, nobody else can turn defence into attack in seconds like Trent does, especially under pressure as we will be at Arsenal. Nunez would be great to have fit as with no Salah, he's a great outlet to have with his pace and strength. Bradley is always an option if we are too narrow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Gomez should definitely start, Robertson has been out too long to bring in for a game like this, especially as Gomez has been outstanding in his absence. Trent and Bradley is a different issue, if Trent is fully fit he'll play, if not fully fit, then Bradley should start, it also depends on what Klopp wants, as Trent and Bradley offer different things in the way they play. For all the criticism of Nunez (his finishing definitely warrants criticism), he would be a massive loss if he misses out on Sunday, hopefully he's fit to play.

It'll be a tough game, important that at a minimum we don't lose, hopefully we can get the 3 points and tick off another match.

Bench for Burnley and back in for Brentford I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement
Advertisement