Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Just thinking that the draw might make us get an attacking midfielder before the transfer window shuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah agree with everything about Harvey Elliott, hopefully he can continue the good start. Some show of confidence from Klopp to give him 2 90mins in a row as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

We started the second half well for the first 10 mins of it then it seemed we just ran out of ideas. Chelsea were defensively well organised but we also didn't seem to have a clue. We dont seem to get in to those high and wide positions for cutbacks in to the box that we used to get many goals from. Mane continues to struggle to beat anyone these days. Elliot should have been hooked instead of Henderson. He gave the ball away so much in that second half. Wouldn't panic yet but our midfield balance and Mane's form and lack of an adequate alternative to him continues to worry me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thiago was a mistake I fear. An unnecessary luxury. He is very talented but doesn't do what we need. He can't unlock defences like we'd hoped, has very little athleticism (compared to Gini) and he certainly can't tackle. If he isn't at the races, he disappears. Ox on a good day offers just about as much, is homegrown, younger and on lower wages, admittedly, Ox rarely has good days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wouldn't get your hopes up - the midfielders that the club is consistently linked with are not likely to be used as attacking midfielders in the conventional sense. Coutinho was the last attacking midfielder to regularly play under Klopp. Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita have been used as harriers and runners in midfield rather than more creative roles. Wijnaldum is an attacking threat in the Dutch national team, Liverpool didn't utilise that element of what he had to offer. Klopp used his energy and athletic ability to cover ground and make it difficult for the opponents midfield, a very different role. If there is another player added to the midfield as a rotation option, it will be more of the same.

I just want to give 100 per cent to the club, I just want to play for the club and just run my socks off until I can't run anymore, to be honest.

Those are Harvey Elliott's words after the game yesterday. Adam Lallana said almost the exact same thing after Klopp's first game in charge and the iconic hug he received when he was substituted.

Above all else Klopp wants his midfield players to run themselves and their opponents into the ground in every game. Unless there is some tactical variation that sees us using a diamond midfield I don't think we will utilise an attacking midfielder under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exactly this.

People see other teams spending big and just act like it's a computer game and we have to go and do the same. It's silly and childish. The manager has, time and again, said he's happy with the squad he has yet you've people here thinking we'll sign two or three players or wanting Shaq back to be something he never really was, a difference maker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d actually welcome Coutinho back at this stage. Team were really bereft of ideas in the second half yesterday. Thiago offered nothing.

Id agree we would probably up have done better against 11men, as Chelsea may have tried to play, and the counter attack is our main scoring threat.

Defensively, team were ok, but also not overly tested as Lukaku was the Lone Ranger up front for the second half. The defending for the corner that lead to the goal was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

To be honest I wouldn't be that disappointed in third in the league, a couple of good cup runs, the club is strengthening,growing fan base, bigger stadium, good youth system, 4th /6th is about where we would be with any other manager, United have the income, Chelsea /City, even Everton don't have to balance the books,arsenal, spurs have bigger stadiums and good income. We have to be realistic and hope for better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thiago wad brilliant the bck end of last season, For example United away he controlled the whole game, He was injured durning the summer and probably isnt 100%

He is a wolrd class player dont be mistaken

It’s silly and childish to want to replace one of our best and most consistent players, and to add more quality in attack? Then all top clubs and their fans are silly and childish. Few clubs with ambition don’t try and replace top players when they leave, or improve on what they have.

I doubt Klopp is the type to criticise the owners directly for their refusal to provide more transfer funds, but I am sure he is hugely ambitious, that combination may not be compatible in the long term if he sees a fall off in competitiveness. Also, I’d be a lot happier if Salah had signed that contract, he also wants to play in a competitive team, I wouldn’t blame him for holding off to see if this team has peaked, and is on the downward side of the curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea's goal was part luck, part great finish. It's very much a lucky dip to get your head on a low short corner into the box, flicked it on, and it looped millimeter perfect up and over Alisson's finger tips. Do that again...

I don't recall Alisson making a great save in this match, yes he saved through expectation 3 balls on target, nothing shots.

Mendy on the other hand was making saves ongoing. Most from distance, Chelsea flooded the space, until there was none.

I think it's a great point, as we're 3 games in, and no one has a 100% record yet, Spurs may do it today. But this is how this season is going to be, everyone taking points off each other.

On another day we'd lose to Chelsea, but we were better than them yesterday, and fought them head to head, matched them, and then did better than them time and time again.

VVD is improving every game,

Firmino did nothing, then went off injured, sad we dropped Jota, not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It is disappointing to have so few options off the bench. I still can't understand the Shaq sale (and lack of use previously tbh).

Ox, Origi and Minamino as options is not a new thing and if he doesn't fancy them then it's annoying there has been no effort/success in upgrading.

I couldn't understand Roberson starting in his current state and I really thought Elliott starting was a mistake. He will come good I'd say but starting against Chelsea is very different to starting against against Burnley and I was very disappointed with some of his decision making.

It was a disappointing last 30, not just in terms of imagination, but also in terms of energy and intensity.

What's silly and childish is the attitude of some supporters who are blatantly ignoring the manager in what he has said about the squad. Constantly talking tosh about signing x, y and z when there's pretty much no prospect of that happening.

I'm assuming you're talking about Gini being replaced in your comment, Imo the manager has replaced him with Elliott. He's said as much. An attacking addition would be great but again the manager has said we aren't operating like other teams, transfer wise.

Some of the tosh that gets posted here is just reactionary, not based in reality and immature. Some of the stuff from the last year eg Klopp out, Mane finished etc is just laughably bad. I never really post in the thread (just read) for these very reasons and I'll probably stop again as it's just quite mind numbing really.

Players can lose form, have an off period, but can anyone deny that both Mane and Firmino are in decline from their zenith?

To say that any supporters who want their team to improve by signing new players are being silly/childish is bizarre. All of our competitors have improved, have Liverpool? Why wouldn’t fans want better players to replace those whose loss in form is no longer a blip? Liverpool FC are a footballing behemoth, yet really haven’t invested to any large degree since VVD and Alisson arrived, the jury is still out on Thiago and Konate, who were both signed for fees which would not be considered by any mean excessive. Jota is in and out of the team and doesn’t seem to be trusted yet to get a starting place ahead of Mane/Formino, being favoured more as an impact sub.

Elliott has great potential, but he is 18, he is not a replacement for Gini, yet. Added into that we have the ageing Henderson, brittle Keita, old Milner, inconsistent Ox and talented but developing Jones, so why the hell would supporters not want some more signings. I found comments like yours equally moronic as you find the comments from posters wanting new talent to come in.

People are making the mistake of projecting their own thinking on to Klopp. If he doesn't want a player then the club won't force a signing upon him. We have seen this happen more than once, yet we hear the same nonsense from fans about the owners lacking ambition etc.

In 2015 Liverpool failed to sign Ben Chilwell from Leicester, Klopp chose to use Milner as a left back instead of signing an alternative option. A year later Robertson was signed.

In 2017, Liverpool failed to sign Julian Brandt from Bayer Leverkusen and Klopp wasn't interested in signing an alternative option. Michael Edwards had to persuade him that Mohamed Salah was the player Liverpool needed to sign.

Klavan left in 2018 to secure more playing time, Klopp decided there wasn't a need for a replacement. He made the same decision in 2020 after Lovren left the club, it derailed the season when Gomez, Matip and Van Dijk got injured.

When it was clear that Loris Karius had been profoundly affected by the events of the Champions League Final the club acted decisively to replace him with Alisson Becker. Klopp was saying everything was fine for Karius up until the replacement happened.

Klopp is a stubborn manager and persists with players at his disposal who he trusts. He has never before rebuilt a team he has created himself. It's new territory for him as a manager and the loyalty that he feels towards the players who have served him will weigh on his judgement.

If the forward line is to be refreshed, the change may have to be forced upon him. He was happy to go into the 2020/21 season without a new forward option and then Jota was signed out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, some of this is definitely true... but we do also have to take into account that Klopp isn't all that likely to tell the media exactly what's on his mind. As with any manager, you have to take what they say with a pinch of salt, because ultimately they don't want to go creating stories where they don't have to.

What would have been gained by saying of Karius; "Nah, this lad's fallen to pieces, we're in the market for a new keeper big time!". Or last summer saying "yeah, we're a bit goosed with just the three lads up top as serious options - definitely want to get ourselves a new centre forward alright".

He'll always say whatever needs to be said to produce the least noise as a result.

I’m old enough to remember this same thinking applied to the great Liverpool team of the 80’s, great players trusted for too long, then Kenny realised, too late that half the team were too old and that the rebuild was too big for Liverpool to have continuity. In his autobiography Souness said the Liverpool chairman told him that he was sorry that he had only one good player to work with, John Barnes.

This Liverpool team is not the premiership winning team of two years ago, neither are MC, Chelsea or MU. They have improved since 2019, Liverpool have declined. That quite rightly concerns fans. If Salah decides not to sign a new contract, that will be an enormous blow as they will have to sell next summer or risk losing him for free.

Fans wanting their team to sign great players is not childish, silly, immature, or projecting their thinking onto a manager, when we see other teams improving, we want our team to improve so that we win, that is the nature of being a fan, particularly of a team with a chance of challenging for the top honours.

Yes but you see the difference here is that I'm happy for the manager and club to do deals and pick players. You seem to feel that your opinions are those that the club and manager should be listening to and going with.

Again, let me be very clear as you seem to be misunderstanding my point. One can call for transfers and upgrades etc. But to continually do it in spite of the manager being happy with his lot is silly. It's immature and childish and speaks to people who are reactionary and can't see beyond their own opinion or who spend too much time playing computer games. I'd love us to go out and sign Haaland and Mbappe, or whoever is flavour of the month with the fans. Is it going to happen? Absolutely not. So why bother continually whining about it. Move on.

We do at least know the manager and club are hyper conscious of this, being that it was the biggest reason given for Klopp's extended contract.

“This squad in the moment is outstanding, we all love it, but we have to stay on track as other teams don’t sleep and we don’t sleep. We have to see what we change, what we don’t change. All of these decisions should be made out of a real comfortable situation. When you are in, you should be responsible for all that stuff and I feel responsible for it. When I leave at any point in my life it is important that it is still in a very good place."

“We will have to refresh things in moments... To keep the level we are on we have to be really on our toes and to be on your toes you need to sometimes change a little bit and that is what we will do.”

“When you want to bring new players in they ask: ‘How long is the manager going to be here?’ We all wanted to avoid that so it’s done and I am really happy about that.”

• Advertisement

You honestly believe that posters on boards think that the managers should be listening to their opinions? Seriously?

Do you also think every utterance to the media from managers and players is an honest reflection of their thinking? That is naivety on a grand scale.

Well why post some of the drivel posted here then? Yes I firmly believe some of the less bright posters believe what they write to be fact.

Absolutely not every utterance from the club needs to be gospel. But it rings true this summer again that we weren't going to spend big and weren't going to be heavily involved in the Transfer market. Have you evidence to the contrary on that?

Don't get too worked up about my posts though, I'm not directing any of it at you really. Moreso some of the regular more off the wall posters we have here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Was it Roy keane that said every big club gets a top signing every year. Id have to agree with that - keeps the regulars on their toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm guessing signing one of the most highly rated and sort after young center backs in the world isn't a shiny enough or expensive enough new toy for some fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It’s BS, as is much of what that man says. Real Madrid, the biggest club in the world, signed nobody last summer, and nobody of any real importance in the summers of 2016 or 2017 on the back of Champions League victories, certainly not players of a higher calibre than Konate anyway.

And they don’t have as much quality coming through their academy as we have in recent years.

Spending at the levels of a top club just for the sake of it is pointless. I’d still like another signing before the window closes but I think we’ll have a good season even if we don’t bring one in.

As this is a discussion forum for fans of Liverpool FC, I’m not sure why you seem to have elevated yourself to the position deciding what fans should and shouldn’t post in relation to players they would like to see the club sign, why is that?

I think the policy you advocate, keep faith in players who are ageing/injury prone/declining, and hoping to win titles against teams who have obviously benefited from investment, is moronic, but hey, it’s just an opinion.

• Advertisement

Ironically, I’d see RM and Barca as a case in point of what happens when clubs don’t replace good players who leave/age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We can't keep going from season to season without strengthening or at least replacing the players we let go/sell on every window. Lovern was let go last summer, not replaced until Konate this summer, we saw how that impacted the club last season, Gini and Shaqiri gone this summer, no replacement in yet despite availability issues hanging over all our backup midfielders (Ox, Kieta both injury prone, Milner aging, Jones and Elliott young & inexperienced so consistency will be a problem). We seem to be happy to leave ourselves short in certain areas.

We hear that Klopp likes to work with a small squad, but, he makes it even smaller by not using/ trusting some players e.g. Origi, Minamino ( Shaqiriin the past), Philips last season you can argue that they're not up to standard, but, if that's the case, ship them out and replace them with players who Klopp will play.

United, Chelsea and City have massive squads and can afford to carry some passengers or players the manager doesn't fancy, we can't, we need to be using every single player in the squad. No one is asking us to break the bank, but, spending an extra 20 million a season ( as most of the rest of the league does) shouldn't be an issue and using every player in the squad should be a given.

Never suggested anyone can't post, did I? I questioned why people post drivel. People are free to post whatever they wish, if it's nonsense it'll be called out as such. Pretty much what's always happened here.

Does anyone know if the ignore option has been reinstated actually? It would certainly help with my reading of this thread. (Again not aimed at yourself dav010).

Also what happens teams that spend recklessly on getting players there managers don't want or need just so they can have the new shiny toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I'm not on either side of this argument but there is a whole chasm of players available to us between Haaland, Mbappe and no one. As I've said many times I would love for us to sign St Maximin for example, or Traore or Raphinha. If those guys are too pricey then someone from the French league where money is tight right now. Can't think of any names off the top of my head but there are alternatives to spending £100+ million on a player. I think we need to be able to "rest" both Mane and Firmino for games at the same time as they have both been out of form for well over a year now but just continue to start every match. It's killing us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A fair point, but I’d argue there was no urgency for Real Madrid to do so in the 2016 and 2017 windows, last year is a different story altogether but they do have two of the very best young talents in Vinicius and Rodrygo to keep them going for another decade up front. Replacing Ramos will be near impossible, and now they’ve lost Varane as well so it’ll be interesting to see what their trajectory is like over the next few years.

Barca are a shambles of an organisation at this stage. They’re in danger of becoming irrelevant at the top level in Europe unless Pedri and De Jong truly are the second coming of Xavi and Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I thought overall we played well yesterday. Started quickly, kept the ball and moved it to the final third well. This is where Chelsea had our number, we struggled to create clear chances, still had the Henderson chance and then Mane created the peno pouncing on a loose ball. Chelsea did well to press at the right times and we gave up some sloppy balls in midfield allowing them to break but they didn't create much either. Havertz scored a great header, not sure what our defence was at but he had a free run on the corner, hopefully that was a mistake and not how we plan to defend corners. I thought we where the better team in the first half.

Second half, all of the ball but where limited to pot shots. Rushed it when we had time and took a touch when we didn't. That could be put down to sharpness now, as we're only a few games in. Still the case in a month and it'll be a little worrying. Chelsea did what the really good teams can do, shut the game down when down to 10 men. They have a fantastic defensive record since Tuchel came in, they know how to defend and deserved the point.

Positives - VVD and Matip showed what actual defenders look like against Lukaku. The bed wetting over him pushing Mari around last week was over the top, barely had a kick even in the first half when it was 11v11. Elliott did not look out of place in a big game, thought he had a very good game, one of the better performers. Trent I thought was great too, he just seems to be getting better and better, seems like he's a lot bigger this year too. Negatives would be Mane, his quickness to react in the box won us the peno but most other attacks died when he got involved.

I think the reaction to both Chelsea and Liverpool's performances have been over the top in opposite directions. There's not much between the teams.

Given shaqs impact, or lack thereof, would you not think Elliott is more than an adequate replacement. I certainly would. He's shown enough in the first three games to see that he offers us something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I realise this may sound a bit out there but tbh for me anything but winning the title this season will constitute a poor season. I waited 30 long hard years to finally win a title and then when we did it was basically taken away from us so it may as well have not even happened imo. For about a decade now ive been planning to head over to Liverpool for a week with friends when we finally won it to celebrate it. That was all taken away from me, taken away from us all. I ended up fist pumping in my bedroom alone when Hendo raised the trophy. Still havent had a single "cheers" to it with mates, nothing. IT may as well have never happened so I want/need it to happen again before klopp leaves...anything else and I will be hugely hugely disappointed.

Since those two windows where they spent near to nothing they have signed loads of players and it's fair to say only Courtois has been a real success

Vinicius & Rodryo cost €91m between when they were both 18 that is a huge out lay.

€103m on Hazard,

€60m on Jovic,

€60m on Milito

€50 on Mendy

€40m on Courtois

€30m Morta.

Total spending on all players to refresh the Champions league winning squad close to €460m in the last 3 seasons.

Alba added this summer on a free but with huge wages and maybe €200m on Mbappe in the next few days.

This on top of getting the players that won the champions leagues to take huge pay cuts.

Klopp doesn't always say what needs to be said to produce the least noise, he talks sense and speaks his mind. The players are treated as though they are part of an extended family, he looks out for them and he has a tough time saying goodbye to those that have served him.

This summer he challenged journalists to name the players he should sign to improve the team and explain what they would bring that wasn't already on offer. The response he got was laughable. He doesn't play games with the media, if he has something to say he says it but he doesn't feed transfer speculation.

In seasons gone by money hasn't been spent not because it wasn't available but because the manager didn't feel the need to bring in more players. He doesn't want to work with a big squad of players, he has mentioned this a few times. Those are his decisions to make and he lives with them. When it doesn't work out, he is happy to admit that it was his decision not because it's for the good of the owners but because he takes responsibility for his decisions regarding transfers unlike his predecessor.

I think every fan knows a Ben, there is one in every group who thinks they know best and everyone else’s opinion is silly. You ask 20 fans to pick the team, if they would sign new players and who they would sign, you’ll get 20 different opinions, but only a Ben thinks the other 19 are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Wolves got Hwang Hee Chang, always wanted us to go for him even when we signed Minamino instead. He's the one I wanted.

Sure look, if making up those little tales helps you then cool. Go for it. I'll leave you to it.

Going by stats he was very ineffective in the Bundesliga last year. Appears he may not have been any better than Taki. He'll do well to get into that Wolves side on the evidence of their first half there too. Looking forward to seeing him all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He wasn't good at Leipzig last season by all accounts.

• Advertisement

From what I've read injury and covid kind of fucked up his season. Wouldn't read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Even leg breakers , that are no where near the ball ,are waved as play on, and the victims booked. I think the ref don't know the new rules, yes play on for honest challenges when a player wins the ball back from a player who decided to go down as he felt a hair touched and moved out of place, but don't wave play on for high footed leg breakers when no ball is won. WTF

It was worse than the Burnely player picking up Jota, and throwing him to the ground like a wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

My point about Shaqiri was that Klopp under used him/ didn't trust him, Shaqiri actually played well when he joined first, but, then Klopp dropped him and he never really picked him much after that. It's hard for any player to make an impact when all they get is 5, 10 mins every now and again, usually in matches we are struggling in, yet these players (Origi, shaq, Minamino) were expected to turn the game for us, despite the manager not really having any faith in them. Long story short we shouldn't have players in the squad the manager has no faith in, they should be replaced with players he'll use. We can't afford to carry any passengers unlike City, United and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We need a proper number 9

For game like yesterday when yiur chasing a goal,

Klopp still yet to buy onenas Liverpool manger which is very odd

Jeez, yeah, I wouldn't agree too much with your literal interpretation of an always transparant Klopp, when it comes to transfers. Sure, he speaks his mind on his personal opinions (brexit, covid etc), and on things where he wants to set the clubs stall out (saturday morning fixtures after european matches, or recently lenient reffing), but when it comes to transfers he's had the same approach throughout. He'll never talk down an area of the squad, and he'll always big-up the quality that's already there.

Now, it seems like you're taking this as his actual opinions and positions, always, where I'd be seeing it as a totally logical and common sense strategy to (a) not create more transfer stories, which we know he fckin hates, and (b) to not create any bad feeling in the camp. I just really don't buy for a second that he was actually totally grand with Karius and had to have Alisson pushed upon him, or that he was grand with the front 3 and had Jota pushed upon him. I just absolutely can't see it. He's smarter than that. I'd say he's always looking for places that can be improved and working with the recruitment lads to see whats out there. I just think he's not one for doing things flippantly... every purchase is very intentional, with a lot of criteria to be filled on their character and tactical intelligence on top of footballing ability.

Makes far more sense to me that regardless of his own private thoughts on any area of the squad he will simply never talk down a position, because it gets him absolutely nothing to do so. That's something that only ever really gets done with managers who are at war with owners, which he isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He would love Kane but thats unlikely to ever happen. He should sell Henderson who has always been useless, lacking skill and composure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

This has been painfully obvious since last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

But what impact is he going to have this season?,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Thsts insane, hendo is an extremely important player for us

• Advertisement

Advertisement