Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Absolutely shocking day and a deserved loss, such is the city beast that losing your second game in February means it’s likely curtains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We can moan about the terrible error, or soft yellows or inconsistency when it comes to the dissent rule but we deserved nothing.

1st half was a shambles, getting a lucky goal.

2nd half, we did nothing to test Raya. Yes, the goal was avoidable and may be the only reason they got in front, but that's not how a team looking to win the title should play.

Not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Deserved nothing. Got nothing. We didn't turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Been honest haven't been good enough today Arsenal wanted it more from the word go they were much quicker too everything,we got back in to it from a silly mistake and then hand it back to them with silly mistake it's the reaction to this defeat that's important now,can't have any complaints with the result at all

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the problem is that Gravenberch and Jones were passengers for much of the game.

TAA didn’t have a performance to remember.

VVD had one of his worst games, all over the shop

I’ve been critical of Nunez but in hindsight perhaps he needed to start today, it was all so comfortable for Arsenal in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

Arsenal were good. I don’t think any Liverpool player can take any credit for even trying today, completely off the pace all over the pitch! Hopefully it’s the kick in the arse they need, Arsenal will inevitably fade away anyway, but it’s giving the title back to City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

Arsenal deserved the win but the ref bought all their antics.... Havertz just jumped into our defenders all game and no free's....when their defenders were actually fouling our attackers no free's..... seems a bit mad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd disagree with that tbh, we just won quite a few without Trent, Salah, or Robertson, and Arsenal at the Emirates without Salah, Van Dijk, Szobo or Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

That's on us. A few individually awful performances. The rest off the boil at best. Hopefully this is a massive kick up the hole and an eye opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Let's not lose perspective though.

Endo, Mo, Sobo, even Bradley back and we'll be better.

Although poor for quite a lot of the game, some of the goals conceded were unusual to say the least.

Next game now please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't have words for that, ok losing a game but not like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Going for a Guinness first . Calamity of a game

I haven’t seen as much post match celebration since Spurs dodgy win! The families will be on the Emirates pitch soon 🤡🤡🤡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Was always going to be one of our toughest games left. An off day and some players to come back, get back at it and beat City at Anfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Awful stuff. Record against top 4 teams not great the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

There's always very fine lines between winning a title and not. Our squad is good enough to beat the likes of Newcastle, but when facing better sides the gaps are clearly there to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Jorginho looks like a fella about to go up and collect his winners medal. Watch Arsenal go and get beat away to West Ham next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

100% was a bit worried when I seen the team and bench.... depth not there....

midfield except was Macca was poison..... Jones and Grav should not start in midfield together.... Gakpo anonymous....

Should have started Nunez and went at them.....opposite happened, started slow, not strong or aggressive enough....

Arsenal celebrating like they have won the league already ffs....

These are our results since Salah and Endo left for international duty. Today is very frustrating but we've come through this period better than expected I'd say:

Margins are tighter for the rest of the season now obviously, we really have to be winning our next 4 before facing City:

Burnley (H)

Brentford (A)

Luton (H)

Nottingham Forest (A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be fair Konate got a 2nd yellow card when Gabriel should have got exactly the same. Didn’t even get a free against him. Wouldn’t have changed the result but awful inconsistency in two incidents a few minutes apart.

Ultimately we needed a slice of luck for our goal but we barely worked Raya in goal. Salah, Szobo and Darwin a big miss from the start. Hard to legislate for the Virgil/Allison howler. Without that I think the game probably finishes 1-1 as both sides looked out of ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Not a good day and totally didn't deserve anything

Hard to take after being so good recently.

Better team won and they look like they just won the league.

Congratulations Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think alisson is mostly at fault for the second lads van dijk has done enough to give him space to clear it , he could have even waited on the ball to come to him

Think everyone's mostly on the same page about this one; bad result and a really bad performance but no need to overreact, that's probably the toughest remaining league game of the season.

Once the ball bounces it's probably on Alisson, but I really don't think VVD should be letting it bounce in the first place.

VVD and Alisson shocking today. Virgil's been getting a lot of plaudits this season but was terrible last week - lucky to not give 2 pens away - and he looked way too ponderous today. He should've headed that ball back to Alisson in fairness but I had no idea what Alisson was at with that clearance. It was Adrian-level stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

It's OK to give out about extremely frustrating inconsistent refereeing decisions and also be aware that the ref isn't the reason we lost. Giving out about the ref happens across all sports. It's because it's very frustrating.

Ironically you are whinging because people are whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we compounded our own weaknesses with the positions... I wouldn't want Grav in midfield for this game anyway, but if he's there he at least needs to be supported by his RB and RWF to give him a chance - instead we left our weakest midfielder with a disappearing act of a RB, and right wingers that were never going to take any pressure off.

The only players we should ever have at RWF are Mo, Diaz, or Nunez. Those 3 will impact a game in some way and keep a fullback penned in - Jota and Gakpo time and time again have shown that if you put them on the right, you may as well not even be playing them. They can be effective elsewhere, just not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, City the big winners today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭eigrod

A free week ahead - couldn’t come at a better time. Klopp, as always, has got this. We’ll be fine. Great squad with top players to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

At least it is home to Burnley for Konate's suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

After playing so well recently, I was convinced we'd win this one. Very poor all round. One shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

The whole team looked like they had the flu. Only Mac comes out of today with any credit. I can't get over how bad we were and to be given that get out of jail goal just before half time and not capitalise is nuts.

Grav and Trent were terrible and can't start in the same team IMO. Gakpo fairly anonymous and has been now for some time. Diaz looks like he cannot get past a player anymore and really shouldn't start when everyone is fit IMO.

With all the talk of our squad depth this season, today really showed the gap between starting 11 and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Hopefully that's our worst performance of the season outta the way,not much else I can say really without getting angry

Yep, knew we were in trouble when I heard Szob was out and Grav was starting. Arsenal's strength is their midfield and they won the battle. Still, Arsenal over-celebrating a win against Liverpool, like Spurs did a few months ago, is kinda humourous. Reminds me of the 00's wins we had over United and the wild hubris on display after.

I think I heard Arsenal are away to West Ham next. Thinking of putting a score on WH in that one.

Why take Gomez, rather than Jones, when Thiago came on? It made no sense to me at all. Jones was anonymous all game, would have been the obvious choice to come off, I would have thought.

Theres no doubt we’ve fares better than expected without Mo. Szobo was the big loss for us today and I’m really hoping that’s as bad as we get.Would have been happy with a draw today, the manner in which we lost, the goals we conceded, that was not something I expected.

Back to business next week at Anfield, against a poor Burnley…… time to get back on track, I still believe it’s our year!

Come on you Reds!! 💪💪💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Arsenal wanted that more, of course Ali/VVD picked this game to have a mare did'nt help.

Maybe a kick up the hole the lads need, might push on from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

4 league games now until City at home. All very winnable. Take 12 points and I expect City will be 1 point ahead of us heading into that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That's the view to take, win your next 4 and expect to be 1 behind. Puts a bit of pressure on to win the 4 but there's pressure on every game from now on really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't know what people expect with depth. That wasn't the issue.

We'd Matip, Bradley, Szobo, Endo, Salah and Tsimikas all out, but still had Elliott, Nunez, Quansah, Thiago and Robertson on the bench.

Depth was fine. We just weren't at it.

• Advertisement

Yep, we've been relying on depth and singing their praises all season, one blip doesn't change that

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

Arsenal celebrating like they won the league grates. They haven't a hope in hell of winning it. They've just done a massive favour for City.

Reminds me of Mourinho running down the sideline in the Liverpool Chelsea game 2014. They celebrated stopping Liverpool as if they had won the league. Just handing it to City.

Worrying that Alisson seems to have these brain-farts against the top 4. He rarely makes mistakes but I've seen him gift the likes of City and now Arsenal goals. God help Kelleher if he had conceded those last 2 goals.

Possibly. Though I'd say Klopp might want Gomez in there with Robertson at fullback. Some solidity after todays sh!tshow.

I'd play Bradley too, assuming he's back. TAA seemed to be just sauntering around today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jones was as bad as Grav tbh, I can only remember us winning the ball back in midfield a couple of times. Thought Konate was excellent and Mac was good.

Diaz and Gapko just don't do a whole lot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Was clear as day that Trent would get skinned by Martinelli and Grav would offer little protection. Poor selections from Klopp today tbh.

There's no need for much of an inquest.

It's our first actual loss in the league in one of the 3 hardest games of the season. It's away to Arsenal. It's a tough game. With key players missing. City lost to Arsenal. It happens against good team.

Win the next games, and we're OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Didn't he pass the ball straight to an arsenal player for a goal last season too,he's a brilliant keep but these fatal mistakes are always lurking with Alisson

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In a normal world, this totally applies. In the world we're in with City, it doesn't. To take a title off City you have to be basically perfect, including winning the hardest of games. City will win the title this season, and it may turn out to have hinged on the points dropped today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Well spoken interview from Virg there

• Advertisement
Advertisement