Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Great game red men

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Never watch City games. Too depressing and disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It wasn't an over-reaction on my part to the result.

I've not actually said at any point we will win the league. I've always thought City would win and that hasn't changed. Disappointed of course but it is what it is.

Also, I"ve been firmly in the Endo camp since he arrived as I knew a bit about his background. Guy's a fighter and gives 100% every time. Certainly couldn't say that about Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

We’ve a nice run of fixtures leading up to the City game.

If we start against City with Endo, Mac, Sobo, Darwin, Jota, Salah as the front six, with the crowd behind us, we’ve a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Slept on it and am over it now. Losing away to Arsenal? Hardly a disaster. Performance? Worrying. Seeing the players we had missing and Trent nowhere near full fitness it seems. Perspective. Most certainly a one off game instead of something to worry about in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

We are only 7 points ahead of 5th with 15 games left. Nothing is done and dusted when it comes to securing top 4.

The performance yesterday for a game of that magnitude was very disappointing especially as we all expected Klopp to have a selection headache in a good way instead having vital players being ruled out very late on. Hoping we can write it off as a blip.

With luck Endo can slot back into the team quickly as Trent/Robbo both are very rusty so far understandably but looked way off the pace yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I agree nothing is secured at the start of February and that yesterday's performance was poor.

However the game had 1-1 written all over it until a freak mix up between Alisson and VVD. Arsenal were not dominating us in the second half like they did the first. The game staying at 1-1 I don't think Konate gets a second yellow as we pushed high to get an equaliser.

That was our second defeat of the season so in terms of results I think it very much is a blip considering the late changes that were needed to the team with Bradley, Szobo, Salah and Endo not available. Trent and Robbo coming back from injury as you say. Nunez starting on the bench due to his foot after the Chelsea game.

Klopp said this was tactical. If it was then this was wrong as I don't think Arsenal would have pressed so hard in the first half if they had to worry about balls over the top to Nunez.

We rode our luck in the FA Cup game until Klopp made the switch to put Nunez out left, Trent to midfield and Bradley right back. The balls from Trent to Nunez slowed Arsenal from their high attack line. We should have started Nunez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd say he would have if he could have, no way he left Darwin out IMHO in this away game given how he's been playing, regardless of what he says in public.

We missed his energy and equally Szlob in the middle to just hustle and bustle, Grav isn't up to it at this point anyway. With Jones subdued, MacAllister was ran ragged to be honest, and we were slow to react to it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think Brentford away will be.

Can't see past Burnley at the moment. Just start a new streak.

I hope we'll have good news on Mo by the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

If you can't simultaneously think Brentford should be 3pts and Brentford should beat City are you even a real fan? 🤣

But I do agree. We need 12pts before we play City though, have to assume they'll get 18pts in that time. As nice as it is to think Chelsea or United could do us a favour, there's no chance really

Brentford have us once and City twice in their next four matches. That's some run of fixtures!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

Perhaps thats why Arsenal didnt push the Toney deal through in Jan :D

I don't understand? I never said I expected City to drop points against Brentford.

Are you confusing me with someone else?

I said it will be a tough game for Liverpool.

Obviously aware what they did to City last season but they also did the same to us away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No, I was joking that I expect us to beat Brentford but think Brentford could do City. Just the absurd juxtaposition of hope, I suspect I'm not alone when I look at those fixtures

Three of Liverpool's Premier League matches in March have been rescheduled.

New fixture details are listed below:

Liverpool v Manchester City: Sunday March 10 (3.45pm GMT kick-off)

Everton v Liverpool: Sunday March 17 (2pm GMT kick-off). This match will be postponed in the event of Emirates FA Cup quarter-final participation

Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion: Sunday March 31 (2pm BST kick-off)

All games will be broadcast live on Sky Sports in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why 3.45pm for the City game? They never broadcast games at that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

We are in a fantastic position, in all competitions and starting for the first time to have the entire squad available.

At 1-1 when we made the triple substitution around the hour mark, I thought we would win or at least get a draw, then the completely unexpected "£$%up

Szobo was a huge loss for pressing as is Nunez versus Gapko, then we have TAA only getting back from injury so not 100% up to speed.

City have 5 league games in 19 days so likely they will get a bit ahead on points given all seem to be matches that should win.

We have the chance to win a trophy in under 3 weeks, would be a massive boast as it ensures Klopp gets another trophy in his final year.

Arteta won the FA Cup as head coach when he took over in Dec 2019, he has won nothing since and personally think there is very little chance that they win the league or CL....if whoever replaces Klopp has one FA Cup over his first 5 years then I would be surprised he keeps his job....Arteta has had plenty to spend.

Strange,45 minutes will hardly make a difference

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just read that Liverpool's 4 defeats this season came when Nuñez did not start at kick-off!

Tottenham, Toulouse, Union Saint-Gilloise and finally Arsenal!

Start him from now and give him the last 25 off if things are going well. No need for bench time now when every game is so important, no matter the opposition.

I'm going to drink extra quickly out of spite 🤣

This is why I shouldn't watch city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I stopped watching City during that 98-97 point season, it just killed me....

Plus I don't find Pep's style of football anyway entertaining. I'm sure its a joy for the football purist, but I just find it monotonous and boring!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nah I don't think even purists find this interesting.

There was a difference between the various 'metas' of football over the years, where the dominant teams were often begrudgingly brilliant. This City team is obviously brilliant, but at its essence the core is lining up a better footballer in every position that the opposition.

Hazard had some strange stuff to say this weekend, a lot of people probably think he's delusional, but he's ultimately right, and while it wasn't a City focused discussion by him, City are the perfect example of his issue with modern football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

No finishing in the CL spots would require a collapse of monumental proportions or a rake of teams going on a winning streaks that hasn't collective been seen before in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

This is such an incorrect and bizarre comment I’m not sure if you are trolling. Is this your first season watching the PL? City win their game in hand and all that’s needed is 3 teams to win 7 points more than us out of 45. In no way whatsoever is CL guaranteed as a small patch of poor results, injuries that turn momentum and shifts like happened all this season in the PL at the top and bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This case against City is going on years, and it's all hush hush top secret. One can only imagine what is going on behind closed doors. Cases like this should be public and transparent, not held in secret. They've won multiple trophies since they've been charged, if this was the Olympics they've have been stripped of their medals and banned, the current process with City only encourages cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's definitely possible, but it would be a bit of a collapse were we to drop the required number of points more than all of Arsenal, Villa and Spurs (effectively 8 points to fall behind spurs, given our significant +16 goal difference advantage).

Then as an extra safety net there's also the reasonable likelihood that 5th will get into the CL, which makes the margin of error 12 points as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronjo

Arteta was given time and money yes but comparing the state of Arsenal then to Liverpool now is really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its possible, but it would be an unmerciful bottle job of massive proportions, why it probably won’t happen is the fact all the teams below us still have to all play each other and take points off one another. Villa and spurs would have to go on record winning streaks also.

Interesting breakdown on Arsenals set up over the weekend for anyone that's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPnwo9cY1e8

Reports coming out of Hungary that Szobo could be out for 3-4 weeks

If that's the case, it could be time for Mac in the No.8 with Endo at the base. Neither Elliot nor Grav are of the required standard to play there for 4 weeks on the trot. Elliot is at his best when coming off the bench and Grav is not at the levels yet.

We need to steady the ship and make sure we have no more slips up over the next few weeks. Not that many thought is was possible, but we won't win the league, City will win it with 2 or 3 games to spare. But we can't afford to drop any points in the new few weeks as we don't want to get dragged back into a top 4 battle. We need to keep that 6/7 point cushion to 4th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Was he just not properly fit for the Chelsea game or what?

Sound like he just strained it again. It can very easily happen when it comes to hamstrings, after knee's, its the most troublesome injury for a footballer.

Trent just back from injury playing RB (and possibly not expecting to start until the Bradley news), Gravenberch obviously not the first choice RCM, no Salah on the RW. We didn't have much of a choice but that right hand side was doomed from the start.

Not nearly enough running in TAA/Grav/Gakpo for them to cover an entire side of the pitch. With Szobo still out I'm not sure who has to play at RCM, if we continue with Grav then I'd rather see Bradley at RB. Alternatively maybe Bradley plays RB and Trent actually starts in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

I'm still gutted over the Arsenal game. Really thought we'd get at least a draw after weathering the first half mauling and then the triple sub. By no means season over but its a decisive loss. City will waltz to another title no doubt.

Would have Elliott over Grav at RCM anyway. With Endo back, we can also use him at 6 with Jones and Mac in front of him, so we have a few options at least.

Typically wouldn't want Trent taking Sobo, Mac, Jones or Elliott's CM place but he could have Grav's

Have to have start somewhere given it's Burnley at home I think.

I'd almost stick with him RB and put Endo straight in with Mac and Jones.

Happy enough those three will cover for him when needed.

Yeah as I mentioned above, Endo, Mac and Jones seems the option to go with for the moment.

Over the latter part of the season I’d like to see Trent play a few games at 6 - it’s the one midfield spot where we need a longer term solution in the summer, so might as well try him there with Mac and Szobo in midfield with him, and Bradley at RB. If Trent can adapt to fit in there it solves a lot of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

firstly, they're legitimately boring to watch. absolutely phenomenal football team - possibly the best PL team ever - but dull as anything. and secondly, Brentford are pretty soft this season. even with the early goal, City should've been 7-1 up at half time. Flekken was miraculous, but even in that form he couldn't keep going.

also, I don't think people quite realise two things.

for one, look at that team and squad City put out last night. It is legitimately mental. if everyone is fit, they will struggle to drop any points at all. Their best team still has Kovacic, Doku, Grealish, Nunes, Stones and Akanji on the bench.

secondly, nobody expected us to be where we are. a trophy and top 4 would've been plenty for most of us. the problem is that Klopp is going, and all of a sudden the emotion and expectation is ramped up because 'we have to do it for Jurgen'. It was an unlikely title when we were 5 points clear of City, just like it's unlikely now. i believe it can be done, but I refuse to get too annoyed by losing away at Arsenal, on our 7th game in 34 days (as opposed to Arsenal's third in the same period).

Speaking of City's squad they've just picked up another player initially signed by City Football Group's Troyes, loaned out to City Football Group's Girona, and now sold to City Football Group's Man City.

Troyes' record signing and he never played a minute for them.

You are absolutely right on all counts.

I've probably never gone into a season expecting a title challenge bar 2019/2020.

When it arises though, you feel you have to take it. After missing out by a point in 2021/2022, I couldn't have envisaged such a collapse the following year - tomorrow may never come.

Anyway.... let's just beat Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

It wasn't a fitness issue with our right side yesterday, it was a lack of coordination between the players in offence and when pressing. Would have preferred Elliott to start, at least he understands his position. No leadership from trent didn't help. The worst part is we got away with murder and still had chances to win the game by consolidating good start to 2nd half and still contrived to hand them the game. Bad day at the office all round, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

We can add another charge to the 114 already levelled at City which will never result in punishment because the tory sports minister and mates are too well looked after by their oil soaked buddies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Much more likely it's your first season watching the PL tbh. Bookies have Liverpool finish top four 1/25. Bit generous but not far off a fair price either. It's easily a 90%+ chance of happening. As mentioned, goal difference counts too. Last season 71pts was enough for 4th, 67pts the season before. We need 20 points from 15 games to reach that mark, that 1.33 points per game. Our current points per game is 2.21. Lat season when we finished 5th ours points per game was 1.77. In Klopps first season in charge, his worst, he still had a ppg of 1.57. So yea, if we miss out on CL from here it would be a collaspe of incredible proportions, possibly not seen before in the PL.

Advertisement