Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

His dad played for Barca. That club is a mess though. He was careful about choosing Leverkusen, I'd imagine he'll do the same here.

Amorim is the next name on the reporters lists. He's done well in Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is the clause a definite?

It almost seems like hubris of the extreme kind for a new young manager to put exemptions in place for Liverpool, Bayern and Madrid but I suppose that's what agents are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

In my head I'm thinking Liverpool would be the better move next for Alonso, as previously stated above, he'll get the time at Liverpool to develop his style.

I do think he will then end up at either Bayern or Madrid, hopefully 10 years down the line. But for the challenge in the PL, Liverpool would be the best move next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

No, there's an interview with the Leverkusen CEO somewhere where he says there's no clause in writing but that they have an understanding. He says he'd hope he would want to stay, but between the lines he basically admits they'd let him go if he wanted to

Edit: here it is:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

James Pearce descried as a gentleman's agreement between Alonso and the club, and those were the 3 clubs reported. There's never really smoke without fire with things reported like that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

There’s now rumours Salah has re- injured his hamstring as definitely out for Luton but if true surely means he’s out for weeks again.

If true that’s would more than just bad luck and severe questions would need to asked about how this has happened to Szobo, Salah, Thiago and lesser extent Trent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No questions need to be asked about Thiago. He is made of vaseline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thiago rushed back? He's been out for a year. Salah is never injured, nor is Trent, its just bad luck. Curtis Jones and Jota are fairly injury prone anyway.

I don't get this conspiracy that the club aren't handling injuries right, its the same players breaking down all the time.

For once though the squad is able to handle the injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Same thing with Sebastian Deisler too around the same time from Hertha. Only it got leaked during the season that he'd agreed to join them when it was supposed to be kept under wraps and then he ended up getting a bad injury (knee?) that meant he was already out for a long time when he signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

He got injured with 10mins of his return so it’s clear that wasn’t managed properly. Just because he’s was out for along time doesn’t mean he ready for first 11 after 1-2 training sessions .

You can write that off as him just being injury prone but when Trent ,Salah and szobo are all getting the same injury almost immediately on return there’s something totally off. There is no suggestion of a conspiracy theory, it’s evident there we have a major issue if Salah is injured again with a hamstring injury (Allison out also for same reason)

if Jota/nunez/ Salah are all injured for the next 2 games then I have no idea where you getting the squad can handle it because we don’t even have enough forwards to cover the starting 3 positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Salah injury was reported in Egypt and everyone else is recycling it. We're not likely to get anything official until Klopp's pre-match press conference tomorrow.

If this is true, no Jota, Salah and a 50/50 chance on Nunez makes the Luton game interesting! Elliot, Gakpo and Diaz up top?

To the naked eye at least, nothing about Salah's performance would have indicated anything hamstring related.

Here is hoping they have that one wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i must say that as much as Luton will be tricky enough, I'm glad the game we have this week is them, and not something exceedingly more awkward.

For all the injuries, back 4 should be fine and Elliot or Grav in for Jones should be fine.

What he does if only Diaz and Gakpo are fit of the 5 is the big question. Elliott could come into the mix at RWF. Not a front three with huge goals output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, this is an enormous opportunity for Cody Gakpo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,177 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The issue with starting Endo MacAllister Gravenberch Diaz Gakpo Elliott against Luton is that there are then no senior players on the bench and a lot will have to play 90+ mins midweek and then again on Sunday.

I think we might see McConnell or Clark get some game time. Perhaps McConnell actually even starting too. McConnell Endo Gravenberch midfield, very inexperienced there I know but MacAllister half needs a rest as he is playing a lot lately. I don't think he can play 90 mins anyways. This would free up Elliott for a forward role, but it does leave the team quite short in terms of height and size.

Another option would be to leave MacAllister in midfielder alongside Gravenberch but play Gordon as a forward.

Both options are quite weak, so for this reason I think that one of Salah or Nunez (or Jones) might be rushed back to play, or forced to start when they shouldn't. Which is a shame but desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Had a nightmare last night that Jota, Jones, Trent, Nunez had all succumbed to their injuries and had all passed away.

It was so real.

I have crazy nightmares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd much rather rest senior players in the Final on Sunday than in our midweek PL match.

The Carabao is nothing compared to having a shot at being League champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rushed back in terms of having only been back training fully with the first team for about a week after a year out.

I don't think anyone thinks it's a conspiracy, people are just questioning if they're perhaps not quite erring on the side of caution as much as they could be. Maybe when a trend is starting to form of players getting reinjured so soon after being out, it might be worth giving them an extra week.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Grav was good at the weekend, but I'd be worried if he has to play Saturday/Wed/Sunday to be honest.

He hasn't had to do a schedule like that for a long time, and with another midweek game next week he's sure to break down soon. The problem with these injuries is less related to any individual games, rather the cumulative effect,woth lack of opportunity to give lads breaks.

I don't know what more Elliott has to do to get a start

I'd start him against Luton then start Grav in the final (as Elliott has the impact off the bench and it could go 120 mins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Up front or in midfield? I'd sooner start Joe Gomez in midfield than Elliott tbh. But as a wide right, yes please.

Team for Wednesday could well be.

Kellegher

Bradley, Konate, VVD, Robertson

Endo

Mac, Grav

Elliot, Gakpo, Diaz

Nunez might be fit enough for the bench, Gomez, Tsimikas and Quansah provide plenty of defensive cover. Unfortunately is only leaves Bobby Clarke and McConnel as back up in the middle...

we really need to get goals, and plenty of them in the first half. That starting 11 should be more than capable of that at home against Luton. I'd have faith in the likes of Clarke coming on, if we had a 2 goal cushion with 30 odd minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,532 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can't recall any memory of Thiago, even in a nightmare he's a forgotten ghost.

Gomez is too good to be benched 3 games in a row. I'd start him over Robertson to be honest

I think Gomez might have to start anyways. Robbo has only completed 90 mins twice since October, and they were a week apart. Doesn't suggest that he is ready to start 3 times in a week. Especially when there is a conversation happening around other players being rushed back from injury too soon. And I think Robertson will be asked to do the full 90 in Wembley as Bradley is young and can't be expected to do 3 starts in a week, including Wembley at the end of it either.

I think Gomez starts LB, with Bradley RB. With Robbo coming on with 25/30 to go, and Gomez going RB to rest Bradley before Sunday.

The alternative to this is Robbo starting LB with Diaz then shifting over to the RW so that there is width on both wings against Luton wing backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

Would we go for Wirtz too I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I doubt it. I reckon if Alonso comes and he wants to play the same system he's playing at Leverkusen, more CDMs and maybe a centre back or two will be the targets rather than attacking players. There's a load of players who can play the 3 attacking roles he plays. Only one real CDM.

• Advertisement

If he were to take a player with him, i could see that being Tah at CB, since he's out of contract not long after anyway. Would help the defence adjust to Alonso's plans, and be a good Matip replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,409 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Alonso does come in and stays with a back 3 then you could see Van der Berg staying put as Matips replacement.

We still need the long term VVD replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

These reports about Bayern wanted Alonso have me extremely nervous.

You'd wonder which team is the bigger draw at the moment. I'm afraid that could be Bayern but hopefully managing in the Premier League can lure him in.

You’d hope some bit of loyalty to Leverkusen would stop him jumping directly from them to Bayern too.

He has won nearly every competition bar the premier league. I’m sure that would be a good incentive for him to join.

And unless there are some players who decide to leave, he has a solid squad to work with. Not such a crazy amount of change required.

I do wonder who he would bring with him though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ah the ol' who is the new manager going to bring in with them... I still remember the excitement on here when Benitez joined.. we were gonna get Roberto Ayala, Mista, and Pablo Aimar from Valencia for sure, just for starters 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Ruben Baraja, David Albelda from memory as well.

Not to disparage his name, but it was a bit of a let down seeing those great names and Rafa arriving with Mauricio Pellegrino in tow instead.

That’s why I’d see Tah as the only realistic Leverkusen incomer - it makes sense for a manager to bring an experienced system guy who can help orchestrate things on the pitch. Joe Allen to an extent for Rodgers as well. Just someone in amongst the players to help them understand what’s required.

Would love Palacios though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Any day now Klopp will be bringing in Reus, Gotze, and Hummels.

• Advertisement

I only remember Alonso and Garcia ... well and the other Nunez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rafa had previously worked with Luis Garcia too before he brought him to Liverpool.

Pellegrino was brought in for the purpose of coaching the defensive line. At Valencia, Benitez had coached Pellegrino to lead the defensive drills in training and he served the same purpose at Liverpool.

Benitez also brought Momo Sissoko from Valencia, although it was a year later.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of managers bringing former players with them to new clubs. But I do see the merit in it, if you are planning a drastic change in system eg Rodgers bringing Joe Allen or ETH bringing Martinez with him to Man Utd.

Alonso style of play doesn't seem to be a whole lot different to Liverpool's style of play the last few years, so I'm not sure if there does need to be that drastic change.

Anyways, the new Sporting Director should have the control over the potential signings really. Alonso hasn't built up that credit in the bank to say that he can chose potential signings either.

Jonathan Tah is another player that has chosen to remain in Germany. He has turned down advances from several Premier League clubs, PSG and Real Madrid in the past. If he decides to leave Leverkusen, Munich are his most likely destination.

Hincapie is a player we have been linked with in the past and fits the age profile of the team.

• Advertisement

Typical of Bayern to be an absolute sh**e show, the one summer we're looking for a manager!

Its going to be very tempting to take that Bayern job. Familiar with the league, players, etc and he could have a serious potential champions league winning side within 2 years with the way Bayern operate in the market in Germany.

Taking over a big club in disarray and trying to turn it around, is a lot better for the mind than taking over a big club who have just lost their most influential manger in over 30 years, and will go down as one of the greatest in the clubs history. No pressure! He maybe thinking the Liverpool job is more appealing after whoever they get in to replace Klopp inevitably fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can’t say I know much about Alonsos style, but from what I see they play a 3-4-2-1, would definitely need to get a few lads in if he wants to play that system here I’d imagine? Definitely a couple centre backs

Formations ≠ Systems though.

Klopp played a 4-2-3-1 at Dortmund and has not really used it at Liverpool, instead mainly operating a 4-3-3 or sometimes a 4-2-4. At times, there has been a 3 at the back with midfielders dropping deeper, but whatever formation is selected, the overall style of play is the same with consistent characteristics throughout with controlling space, quick transitions, counter pressing and direct forward play being prominent.

Liverpool will appoint a sporting director before a manager. Examined where that search is at and how FSG got there. Two new names under discussion are Ricky Massara (ex Milan, and available) and Florent Ghisolfi (currently with Nice, a trickier get)

The Mbappe (pipe) dream is dead.

BBC and other confirming Madrid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement