Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I wonder is there any chance he's just agreed now not to pick them as they're only friendlies? Am I just clutching at straws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tuchel Is leaving Bayern at the end of the season. Theyre the other candidates for Alonso so hopefully we’re not sitting around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Giving the age demographic on Boards, there's a good chance that's a fully grown adult man and not a 12 year old kid carrying on like that...good grief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭GBX

With Klopp news only coming out publicly you'd like to think the club have been working already on a replacement. No doubt they got told a while ago. With that, I'd hope if they are going after Alonso, the wheels are in motion and we could possibly be one step ahead of Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It was the working in the replacement that precipitated the early announcement. There were seemingly word that the news was starting to leak, so they are working on it in a while I'd be fairly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Tuchel going end of season. Lets hope we have a deal done for Xabi before they go sniffing for him

I'm optimistic

I don't think Xabi would leave Leverkusen for Bayern, that would seem disrespectful to Bayern

I still think there's a chance Klopp's timing was because he identified Xabi as a possible replacement and wanted the best long-term for the club. He's definitely that sort of person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I've seen this sentiment posted a number of times. Why would him going to BM be disrespectful to BL? He's only been with them for 2 seasons but he spent 3 seasons and won 3 titles with BM. Its a pretty logical step that he would move to the biggest club in Germany considering their attractiveness and the fact that he knows the league well.

Do BM and BL have some kind of historical rivalry or something?

I hate to be the pessimist, but this is feeling like the 20/21 season all over again. It has all the hallmarks, top of the league and flying it despite all the injuries, putting square pegs in round holes every week and grinding out results. And then bang, another glut of injuries and the wheels come flying off...

Obviously I'm being overly negative and I hope I'm completely wrong, I'm just getting weird 20/21 vibes and a mid-week banana skin coming up. Those mid-week games and the lower half teams killed us that year too.

• Advertisement

I think moving from a club that took a chance on you, and with whom you've obviously bonded (just look at the interactions he has with the crowd) to the team that's you've either just beaten to the league or just beat you, because they're a "bigger team" is disrespectful. I wouldn't have thought I'm alone in that view, but maybe I am 😋

I'd say the same if Arteta went to City. Thought the same when Sterling went to City etc

Perhaps you are right but personally, I think you have too much faith in football people. It's a great spot for XA to be in but both BM and LFC clubs and fans would have significantly higher expectations than BL fans. They've never won a league and their last trophy was 30 odd years ago. If he can deliver the title this season then it would be hard to see any BL fans begrudge him a move, regardless of where he ends up.

There is also the outlier that he might elect to stay there for another season to have a crack at Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

I suppose the other thing for Alonso is this is as probably good as it gets at Leverkusen, they will probably get picked apart in terms of players in the summer. Strike while the iron is hot and leave on a high?

Hopefully I'm right, but obviously I'm just guessing like anyone 🤣

Xabi is my favourite ever player, I idolise the man, so I may be constructing an idea of his principles to fit my own beliefs. But I still believe them 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tuchel confirmed gone at end of season which will only fuel the recent Alonso chat rumours.

First Mbappe, now potentially Xabi..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

It could be Thomas Tuchel?

Taught he did really good stuff with Dortmund.

What's happened to him since? Although I taught Chelsea were mad getting rid of him but he has not had a good run since then!

Bayern essentially getting rid of him after what any other team would call a blip.

Imo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think the quality of football has been a big part of it… even when getting results they were playing fairly horrible stuff with Kane bailing them out. Think Bayern have an expectation if not just winning the league, but winning it in style.

They’ll at least also be seriously considering Hansi Flick too anyway, so at least they’ve a more viable alternative than we do. (Though Flick would be on my shortlist too, but obviously he’s already done the business for Bayern so is a known high quality property for them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Why have Liverpool taken so long to hire a sporting director? Jorg Schmadtke was only a short-term hire so they've had since early last summer. Especially urgent since they've known since November that Klopp was heading off. Seems borderline negligent.

Alonso will definitely move this summer. Winning the league with BL is the maximum that can be achieved there.

The golden rule in football management, is make hay when the sun shines and his managerial stock will never be higher than it is this summer, to coincide with 2 of biggest clubs in world football on the search for a for a new manager. He also happens to be adored by both sets of fans at said clubs.

Alonso will be in the dug out of either Bayern M or Liverpool come September, but which one it is will be anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So far anyway, our record against lower half teams is defiantly not killing us this year (hopefully I'm not jinxing tonight). We have the best record in the PL at the moment against the bottom half teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Please no too Tuchel, most overrated coach around. Plays awful football too.

Agree, but the comparison I was making was to the 20/21 season. When we were top of the league, despite the injuries and beating whatever was put in front of us. Then in late January, the injuries became too much and we seemed to struggle most against the teams at the lower end, with the latest influx of injuries I just have that eerie feeling all over again, albeit a month later than the 20/21 season when it came apart in January.

Look I obviously hope I'm way off in this and I'm being extremely negative. But the injuries situation seems to be getting worse and not better which is concerning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I read Conte is throwing his hat in the ring for the Munich job. Mourinho also wants the job. It's not a given that Alonso gets it.

Munich might also return to Hansi Flick to stabilise them or Joachim Low.

I'd say Tuchel will have his agent on the phone to Barca looking to replace Xavi.

It will be interesting to see if ETH gets another season with United. Would depend on if they can get a CL spot. I reckon Tuchel would also be interested in that job.

Tuchel has a history of being difficult with those working above him. He was fired from Dortmund, PSG, Chelsea and now Munich so Barca and United could steer clear.

I definitely don't see him being a contender for us.

I don't see any managers out there I would like to take over Klopp apart from Alonso. It's going to be a tough summer if the replacement is announced after the season ends.

Ah ya, I'd be shocked if he stayed beyond the summer, it's a possibility of course, albeit a remote one.

Just win tonight.

Accept the stronger possibility of a disappointment on Sunday, play as many kids as we can get away with against Southampton and then hope and pray there's one or two back for the next game after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Pretty strange keeping him til the end of the season given the reason they're getting rid of him is poor performance? Can't see that going well.

I agree, car crash stuff. Definitely implies they're not going for a manager who's available now

Well the reports from Germany suggest that they started initial talks with Alonso, and he definitely won't be available until summer.

So I suppose their thinking maybe is maintain the status quo until the summer, as things can't get much worse and the right man isn't available until then. While also disrupting our title rivals challenge by making some noise around acquiring their current manager, whom they have a great relationship with and won 3 titles together.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd say attempting to disrupt Leverkusen is definitely part of the announcement for now. I'm not sure it'll have that much of an impact though, since he's already so firmly linked away to us. Could be good for us though - every Leverkusen fan will have suddenly switched from "please don't go to liverpool!" to, "please go to liverpool instead of Bayern!"

I think they're mad not to just go get Hansi Flick back in though, was tremendous for them, won everything there is to win having come into a flailing squad. There was bad blood there given how he left for the Germany job (which I can understand, but at the same time, it long since been known to everyone that the Germany job was his life's goal), but they've apparently buried the hatchet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The main difference between 20/21 and this season is that in 20/21, we had a lot of square pegs in round holes (Henderson & Fab at CB), which basically killed the team, this season we haven't really had that, apart from Gomez playing LB ( where he was excelledt) most of the players are playing in familiar positions; defenders playing in defence, midfielders playing in midfield and forwards playing in attack, so while some aren't playing in their best positions, they are playing in positions they are comfortable in and more importantly they are not being taken away from another area of the team.

Even the team tonight against Luton, while not the best, all the players will be comfortable in their positions. We are getting down to the bare bones and can't afford anymore injuries, tonight's match is going to be much more difficult without all our injured players, but, at least it's still a winnable game. By the time we play City we will need to have some of those players back to give us a chance at getting a result. Until then we just have to grind out the results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Big game tonight with all the injuries hopefully get the 3 points and a clean bill of health,can't afford any more injuries squad is creaking st the seams as it is

I had in my head Luton were a homer team, thanks to their ground, and weren't that great on the road but it's not true at all. They haven't lost in their last five away games and their PPG in the league home and away are very similar

I don't have a point here, just surprised myself when I looked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Subs: Adrian, Konate, Tsimikas, Robertson, Clark, Gordon, McConnell, Danns, Nyoni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

If you told me this time last year that would be the lineup for an important PL game in a years time I'd have fallen off my chair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't care how we win. Just win.

Resting Konate and Robertson is sensible. We have to rest someone, and I think Klopp has done all he could do with that team to give us the best possible chance without wrecking all the starters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pool to win.

1-0.

Gomez.

I'll start to believe then.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Yep we are depleted but the starting 11 is still strong. Injuries has allowed us to see what a star Bradley is which was unlikely if TAA was not injured.

Dry evening under the lights with a vociferous crowd and I think we will get the win, it will be nervy and tough but we have shown this year that the level of resilience is as good as I have seen.

Gravenberch who has been a target for many will hopefully be the star of the show, he is only 21yrs old but has massive potential imho.

Light team. Hoping Diaz and Gakpo pull their socks up

The team should be enough, but the bench is extremely light

Iyoni is sixteen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

So, we only lost Jones,Jota, Salah and Nunez from the last game, unbelievable bad luck at such a critical time in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not unexpected but the bench is basically all kids along with a couple experienced defenders. Not too much to bring on in an attacking sense. Would take any kind of win tonight. And no more injuries please.

If we need a goal flood the pitch with full backs and put Joe up top

Bit odd to have attacking kids like Nyoni and Danns in there... are the reserves missing a rake of players too? Would've expected guys like Koumas and Kaide Gordon to be ahead in the pecking order.

A lot of pressure on the starters to do the business early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Kelleher to score last minute winner!

We on the telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

No, some bs about it not being allowed to be televised in the UK.

Same topic, I'm not at home tonight to watch it on the dodgy box, so if anyone wants to slide into my dm's it would be appreciated, wink wink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭54and56

On these channels if you live in the right parts of the world

USA Network,

Optus Sport 1 ,

Sky Sports PL NZ

• Advertisement
Advertisement