Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I feel similar, squeaky bum time for our team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Same.

It's incredibly frustrating as we are not exactly asking for £100m signings like those other clubs always want. We just want the correct signing to come in and beef up the squad with quality and be ready to give a real challenge to the first 11, eventually replacing them. Jota is a perfect example of this, and hopefully Konate will be the same. We knew we needed a CB this summer and got that done before the window had even opened so there was loads of time to work on other deals. One midfielder and one attacker that was. Just 2 additions to the squad, not a massive overhaul. By the looks of things, both were not even attempted. What did we get in terms of additions? A weird intentional press leak about interest in Jarrod Bowen and that was it.

We have a brilliant first 11. Probably the best in the league, if not extremely close. But the strength in depth after that 11 is weak. No firepower upfront, and when the injuries happen in midfield and upfront like Firmino now and the AFCON, the lack of strength in depth in the squad will show up. For the 3rd summer in a row there is more players leaving the club than there are coming in. Senior players leaving every summer. The squad size is reducing each year. This can't keep happening as the players are getting older and have more miles on the clock. The same 14 players can't do a full season again.

I do think that all the contracts are great, and very much needed. They would turn to brilliant if Salah is also signed up. But the timing of some of them, especially this Henderson one is just really really bad and almost designed to be announced on a certain day just to shut fans up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Then we won't get anyone.

And we need players to push who we have up front.

4 players (I'm not counting Origi as he's now useless) for the front 3 over a season of 60+ games, plus internationals, is irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Henderson was 100% left to be announced today to appease fans over no signings ,

Wait and see there will be no incomings and fans will be annoyed and in a few days or a week they will announce Mo has singed to make people happy,

The club must be broke, not strengthening when we are right near the top of the pile is very silly,

In my opinion we had 4 world class midfielders

Hendo , Fab ,Thiago & Gini,

Losing Gini leaves us with 3 which is no where near enough when games come thick and fast and lads get injured, Plus our style means our midfield 3 run there ass off and usually need to be replaced during a game ,

We will struggle through winter trying to find a 3 that works ,when one or two injured,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Then it will be announced the true extent of Firminos injury, after deadline he will have suffered a "setback".

Why so keen to sell Shaqiri if there's no interest in replacing him? Makes no sense, other than bringing in a few quid to boost balance sheet.

Alot of execs must be on big bonuses depending on savings the club makes every year, wasn't it the same at Arsenal under Wenger.

Likewise Fergie supposedly pocketed a fortune from United in his latter years for spending feck all. Think it's an American thing, if you have a surplus then management/key execs can share savings as additional bonus scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Simon Hughes saying Bowen is unlikely to leave West Ham today, and Liverpool are "monitoring".

I think everyone hoping for an additional attacker is going to be in for a frustrating day.

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think this is the fourth season with this exact front 3, and at least 2 of them are struggling to reach the form of 2 years ago.

It is mad to me that we haven't signed a forward. Mane and Firmino know they're going to be playing every week irrespective of form because Jota is seen as a backup and there's nobody else trusted in the squad who can push for a spot.

This is the difference between us and top Prem teams of the past, United would bring in competition for there front & best players we have not ,We will over use them for the 2nd year running ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Jurgen Klopp has the final say on transfers - if he doesn't want a player for the team then they won't be signed, this has been made clear several times. If people want to fume about the situation then that is where they should focus.

Klopp has exhibited poor judgement with regards to the need for additional players before, the issue only got addressed when it bit him in the ass. It was known that Wijnaldum was leaving for over a year but there was no apparent effort to replace him. There have been plenty of articles linking Liverpool with a move for Bissouma, they are dotted with a little gem of a line that goes like "Klopp remains to be convinced that he is the midfield player for the team." Having seen what he said in the press conference a few weeks ago, and his interviews where he mentioned the lengths that Edwards and his team went to in order to convince him to sign Salah, I don't have any trouble believing that the person responsible for the club not signing players in this transfer window is the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It has been a very underwhelming transfer window and I don’t know if that is because Klopp is reluctant to buy anyone but “the perfect player” or that the funds aren’t there. Either way it’s a bit ****.

I feel for Philips i thought he would have got a decent move after last season,

He'll just regress now sitting in the reserves ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pearce is saying in The Athletic this morning he is likely to leave today.

Seeing as everyone is bringing back their old boys maybe we should go for Suraez on a one year deal?

Id take Suarez we need someone to help score goals ,

None of our midfielders score goal's & Manes dip may be more than a dip we need to be ready to have lads who can push the front 3 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Nothing is irresponsible as long as the owners are making a profit and the personnel to fill the squad is there (quality or no), that's all that matters to them.

I'd say they'll happily see Elliott take on more than his share of the weight at such a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I cant agree that we currently have the best starting 11 in the EPL. 2 years ago yes and by a comfortable margin! But with age, massive drop off in from in certain players and injuries, our current best 11 sits behind City and Chelsea IMO.

I said it here yesterday but I think FSG have been slightly disheartened by the money UTD, Chelsea and City put in season after season and the breakdown of the financial fair-play case against City was the last straw for them. They will target a top 4 spot again this season and for the next few years as they know with Klopp around he will get the best out of what he has. But with Edwards gone next year and Klopp in 3 years it could be a case that they maybe looking to sell up around that time. I don't know if John Henry will have the hunger for another rebuild with a new manager as he will be going on 75 himself and be set t make a tidy profit with the sale.

There were a few clubs interested in him over the summer but no offers. West Ham have since signed Zouma from Chelsea. Burnley signed Collins from Stoke. Norwich have signed both Kabak and Gibson. Sheffield Utd have taken Davies on loan.

Brighton and Newcastle are the two remaining clubs he was linked with in the summer. Of those two he is better suited to Newcastle, he would be a classic Steve Bruce central defender.

I worry with the Elliott stuff, he's looks brilliant for his "AGE" but in actually performance it wasn't great ,

For example if that was Shaq Saturday you;d have been calling for him to be hooked ,

Ellot looks like he will be a very good player but i'm no sure he is even a wonder kid,

For example Greenwood over in Manchester is levels above Elliot in terms of current ability & effect on games,

Elliot ids one for the future not right now ,he should be just getting mutes here and there

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh for sure, I am fully onboard with the idea that Klopp has decided his squad is fine. He knows a lot more about football than me, but I can't get my head around this decision because it just seems so obvious that there are glaring deficiencies.

It's not like anyone expects us to go out and spend 100 million on some superstar, but how can we not bring in a forward when it is clear Origi and Minamino are not trusted. Expecting Mane and Firmino to play themselves into form when they have no competition seems like a crazy approach to me.

The Echo are saying that Firmino is out for a couple of weeks and he's going for further scans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Time for Taki to shine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looks like the rumours firminio was out for 2 months or more are wide of the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hendo extension announced on deadline day. Coincidence? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm curious as to why people think Henry and Co. are considering a sale? Henry himself is in his 70s, and he likely has all the liquid cash he would need to do absolutely anything he would desire doing. Instead would it not make sense for him to want to keep building an asset portfolio, they includes Liverpool FC, for his children to eventually inherit?

• Advertisement

Greenwood is a striker though. If he's getting a few goals he's doing well. Elliott is a very different type of player. He's likely going to be a creative passer from midfield. Those type of players won't fill up the stats sheet at 18 years of age.

As it is I don't even think Elliott has looked good for his age. He's looked good full stop. Hasn't looked out of place in the slightest at 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Greenwood is bona fide superstar in the making. Already better than Martial, and better than Rashford has ever been. He's Trent level of superstardom. Very few are in that category.

Elliott is superb. I've no worries about him, other than the minutes that will be expected of him because we haven't replaced Gini.

Further scans with the final scan showing a 'worse than originally feared' diagnosis, after the transfer window has closed. Have heard that one before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I find it hard to believe that Klopp is happy with the squad when he doesn't trust Minamino or Origi with game time. Defence aside our bench options are very limited and I think Klopp knows this given his apparent reluctance to use Origi and Minamino. If Origi goes this window and we get nobody else in then we effectively have 5 attacking options to cover 3 positions for the year. Minamino he doesn't use. Mane and Bobby are largely ineffective and we are over reliant on Salah. Keep in mind the Afcon is also this season. It would be terrible mismanagement, something I don't think Klopp is capable of. I believe this is coming from the owners. They are investing the clubs funds on the training complex, Anfield expansion and contract renewals. Adding quality in the transfer market seems to be low down their list of priorities.

Wonder if FSG are prepping for a sale? Stadium improvements, state of the art new training facility. Infrastructure improvements add value to a club. The team is already good. Nearly all the top players on new contracts so they nearly all retain some resale value. The one thing you don't spend on if you're looking to sell is new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would have rather seen Salah's new contract announced today instead of Hendo's as we all knew Hendo was signing one anyway.

That being saved for after the deadline when we have a zero net spend & all the fans are losing there ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

All the lads nailed down to new contracts in advance of the big news about Mbappe in a few hours.

Clever bastards know how to keep a dressing room sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

There's a helicopter somewhere on standby surely 🤔

Raphinha when Dan James signs for Leeds?

I hate this new version of the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You make me nervous when you post stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Henderson

Announced

As

Liverpool

Approaching

New

Deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Raphinha would be a luxury addition. Bit like Chris Ronnie is for United.

He has 11 goals 8 assists last season for Leeds, it's so impressive. He's a buy now, sell late for profit kinda signing. FSG should be all over it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Firmino out for two weeks? ................. we don't play for two weeks.

Wish he was out for more, then Klopp would have to give Jota a proper run.

Wishing a player was injured for longer very classy.

Jota will play when its the right choice like Burnley & Norwich but not Chelsea ,

Chelsea was the right game.

As much as I like Bobby I think Jota should be starting ahead of him.

Ideally we would have bought a clinical striker but Jota is the next best thing in our squad.

He’s also more direct than Bobby.

When he came on he made a run, that Bobby would NEVER have made, that led to the corner that led to the penalty decision.

I think it was 45 minutes and 8 seconds when he picked up the ball and caused his usual mayhem.

When Bobby went off Jorginho was free to recieve a pass from the defenders a lot more. Bobby blocked off that passing lane and closed him down very well.

I think we are well protected with Alisson, VVD and then Fabinho. Even Henderson.

Right through the middle.

I’d prefer my striker to be more focused on scoring goals and let the other boys do their jobs.

Most teams are more worried about defending against us and the players I’ve mentioned are more than capable when we do give up chances on the counter.

We’ve been struggling to win games that we’ve dominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who knows but yeah theres definitely a few signals pointing at a potential sale in the next couple of years and no doubt there is heavy interest from the new breed of Chinese billionaires. To an investor adding value to the club through infrastructure is a derisked investment compared to buying players. The price of the new training facility is equal to what Kieta on his own cost and the former is a guaranteed return when it comes to selling.

Michael Edwards announcing his departure yesterday makes it more worrying, he's the one who knows how much is in the transfer kitty and what leeway they have. Maybe he just wants a new challenge but he was supposed to be in the middle of one with the squad overhaul as stated by Klopp. Edwards is meeting John Henry this week who is going to try to persuade him to stay. Part of that conversation has to include transfer funds to rebuild the squad so if Edwards still walks from the job I think thats a really bad signal. Equally this could be a power play by Edwards who is trying to give Henry a wake up call that our rivals have invested heavily and he needs backing instead of penny pinching.

China is a no no now there government is putting a stop to that kind of investment. All clubs now with Chinese ownership are in huge Financial trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

That's ok, I mainly just meant because of his versatility as opposed to his ability tbh. Someone like him who can cover both full back positions and a few midfield positions. Saka would have been ideal really. Cantwell is another good example of what im saying, not better than what we have when they are at 100% but probably a better option than Mane at 40% right now but with the potential to maybe one day make that position his own, if he didnt then we sign a proper replacement later on when Mane moves on and we sell Cantwell or keep him as a squad option

• Advertisement

The whole point of Bobby is to win the ball high up the pitch and initiate a quick counter from an advanced position, drag a CB towards him and leave space for the wide men to exploit.

The whole system needs to change if you remove that tatic.

Advertisement