Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, particularly in more defensive positions. More attacking players can fit in a bit quicker since more of their game is about imposing their instinctive attacking ability onto the other team. Of course they get better as they fit more into the system, but their starting position is easier.

But defensive positions need the player to know what's going on around them to such an instinctive level that they can make all the right decision on the fly, knowing how their movement fits into the collective defence. Robbo, Tsimikas, Konate, Fabinho, Endo etc, it's been the same with all of them. Mac slotted in well enough, but even with him, the defensive aspect of his game when he's at 6 is now miles better than it was when he started playing there for us. It's also why the kids can slot in so well - as they said themselves after the final, this is the exact system and same way of playing that they've played at through all levels, so they know exactly what is required from each position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We've been spoiled with players who have hit the ground running under Klopp, the likes of Salah, Mane, Van Dijk, Allison, Diaz, Jota.

So fans expectations are every signing should. For me I think 18 months is a good barometer to give a new player in his prime, provided he is showing progress all the time.

Writing a player off after a couple of games is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Gravenberch out!

It's no surprise it's been almost all attacking players that have hit the ground running, as their roles simply make it easier for that to happen.

Van Dijk is the only defensive exception - and in that case he literally WAS the defensive system, coming into a chaotic dysfunctional back 4 and basically just doing stuff that only the best in the world can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Think the FA Cup quarter final draw is on at 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I would say Tsimikas isn't as good as the other replacements and we could do better. Even on Sunday when the young players knew the system and looked like they have been part of the Klopp set up for years he was not working in cohesion with those settings him.

It's not a big deal, I don't go in about it but compared to Endo, Gakpo, Quansah, Bradley, McConnell he's tactically not at the level. I would enter every summer considering his position but not be too upset if he stays.

The attitude of not criticising new players should be extended to the whole club in my opinion. Our last few transfer windows are looking better and better as time goes on. Endo as previously mentioned. Gakpo bought when many didn't think we needed a forward. He's got 10 goals in a 5th choice season. Many on here wanted a VVD replacement bright in. Those last few transfer windows look better and better now.

Of course they were all coming into a klopp managed club. He'd probably get blood from a stone.

To be fair to him, that was his first real appearance in 2024 - and he did assist the winner with a great ball. He's in the bracket of backup alright, but as such I'm very happy with him still. Was outstanding for the few months after Robertson got injured, before he broke his collarbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Any team news?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Virgil, Tsimikas, Elliott, McConnell, Clark, Bradley, Gakpo, Koumas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't believe VVD and Elliott are starting, i know we have'nt much choice but still.

Very few options especially in midfield, VVD is so good he strolls around for a lot of the game.

Subs are Adrian, Konate, Diaz, Mac Allister, Scanlon, Gordon, Nallo, Danns, Nyoni.

Ridiculous starting VVD and Elliott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Away to either Forest or United if Liverpool win tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i understand the VVD one to an extent. he shouldn't expend himself too much.

the Elliott one is a bit bizarre to me though.

also, maybe I'm naive, but I thought either Nunez or Salah would be available for the bench at this stage. A little worrying, but we'll see what the squad is for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Gomez in midfield, or a back 5??

Given Nunez's ability to move from his seat down a flight of stairs clearing everyone in his path whilst then hurdling a metal barrier, yes I thought he might get 20 mins tonight with a view on him starting on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Midfield I'd guess.

I'd imagine it's...

Kelleher

Bradley Virgil Quansah Tsimikas

McConnell Gomez Clark

Elliott Gakpo Koumas

• Advertisement

Better to err on the side of caution and maybe just have them on the bench for Forest.

Guessing Elliott in the front 3 so maybe not having to do the hardcore midfield running. Off for Danns at halftime or on 60 minutes latest.

looking forward to seeing Danns get time off the bench and also hopefully Nyoni make his debut at 16! 3rd squad in a row, so bound to make an appearance surely.

Anyone from the canteen,Elliott couldn't walk after the Luton game and then played 120 mins last Sunday. Ridiculous if he picks up a muscle injury tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Nunez must of injured himself again with all the hopping and running sunday😊, ah well it is what it is now with so many injured Southampton have made good few changes aswell so should be interesting game

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

The way things are going with Mo, Szobo and Nunez we can’t assume they will make the squad for Forest .

Klopp was clear that none of them have been fit to play and it’s had nothing to do with resting them . given the strongish lineup it’s looks like they still aren’t fit which definitely is a worry.

Robertson completely omitted as well so let’s hope that not another injury as that looks odd. Grav/Endo already pretty much ruled out this could be starting lineup for Forest with Diaz/Konate/Macca in for 3 youngsters so seems like an eternity since we’ve had positive injury news !

Important to win to get that Everton league game for March 17th moved back, we should have a much stronger squad for whatever date it is moved to.

I would think he will play 45 and then Mac the other 45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Chelsea started 6 of the 11 who started on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,537 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I would say the summer of 2022 wasn't a great window, a missed opportunity to overhaul the midfield, that led to a poor 2022/23 season, they managed to salvage last summer by signing Endo and Gravenberch very late in the window, it turned out a great window, but, wasn't looking great around the time of the Caicedo transfer saga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,179 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Joe Gomez starting in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Damien360

We look very threadbare. Have we even had a shot yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hectic start, hopefully can settle in. Ow and put it behind us.

Gomez sitting in at 6. Not seen that before.

I suppose as good a time as any to try something like that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I really like Harvey but has he ever had a good first half for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fair to say we look well off the pace so far in this game.

• Advertisement

Kelleher still in form ! Great save. Gomez very slow to return to cover.

Southampton playing very high energy in the middle, making life much tougher for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Kelleher playing well, and uh, that's it, so far. And Virg, of course.

We are hunting them very deep in their half and looking very exposed at the back. Just two back with the last attack. And slow to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The bench all cracking up at the Gomez effort.

• Advertisement

I definitely think Joe Goooooooaaaalmez has an adidas ad already made and ready to go for when he finally scores - really hunting for them this year

Back in January it was fine for Gomez to shoot after cutting back in from the left, as he was more measured with his shots. But in February his shots have been terrible! They've been from distance coming onto the ball and they've all been overhit.

Things calming down now, much more in control after that hectic opening.

McConnell looking backwards a bit too often, when there are options free in front of him.

it is unreasonable to really expect us to be any good.

this is fine.

in fact, it would be all kinds of mental if this team was steamrolling even this Southampton team.

ah yeah for sure, both sides are very much hodge-podge stuck together teams, so will always be a bit messy. We're doing grand. Should still probably be winning it though, given it's not Southamptons best side either (only really Stephens, Charles, and maybe Aribo or Mara from their first team) and we're at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Great experience for these bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Southampton look very well drilled which is impressive considering it's not really their first team either. Maybe Russell Martin has future potential.

That attacking move before the corner all stems from Bradley moving into midfield instead of the right hand wing, and stars to knit the play all together with Gakpo etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement