Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

I would love it to see Arsenal trouncing City regardless of what happens this weekend. City still favorites, Arsenal don't know the pressure of last few games to win a title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I still can't see them finishing ahead of City. Aside from the big two matches, City have it pretty handy, can't see them dropping points anywhere except maybe Spurs away

Arsenal have to go to Spurs and United (I know, I know 😋) and host Chelsea and Villa. I still think there's a fragility under the surface with them, too. It'll be very interesting to see how they react to a bad result

I think our best chance is probably if we and Arsenal both beat City and have a shoot-out amongst ourselves. Not saying we'd beat them, but I'd fancy our chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Arsenal have had a run of easy fixtures and to be fair they are producing great results. Their one tough game was against Porto given it was the CL and that was not great. Porto are very average so it will be interesting to see if they can get a good win at home.

The test for them starts with City away, if they want to win the league then they need to get at least a draw, the time to judge them will be after that match, even though they are scoring 4+ goals in every match at the moment, can they score 2 in that game when the pressure is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I can't see City losing both, two draws would suit us and very possible. Arsenal's goal difference is worth a point, obviously if they lose to City that'll mean nothing. The big question mark over Arsenal is can they handle the pressure of the run in, currently they are the form team and they would definitely fancy getting some kind of result against City.

Our big problem is the injuries are limiting us we have no real choice but to ask the same players to play all the time, this is making matches harder than they need to be, plus it's also affecting our goal difference which could become a factor, we are labouring through games compared to Arsenal who are cruising, so they should be fresher for the run in. I would still have City as favourites, however whoever is on top after the City v Arsenal game will become favourites to lift the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Was at that game

classic !! So sweet

great memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think players will be risked on Sunday even if not at full fitness, it's our biggest league game remaining and our last before the international break. We'll hopefully have more bodies back by March 31st vs Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Quite possible could have a starting 11 Sunday of

Kelleher

Bradley, Van Dijk, Konate, Robbo

Endo, Szob, Mac,

Salah, Nunez, Diaz.

Likes of Elliott, Gapko, Gomez options from the bench

Not to shabby considering the options available recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If Arsenal to the Ethiad and win in order to leapfrog City and then see it out from there then you couldn't begrudge them.

Why does it have to be Mother's Day on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

That's my team for Sunday too but I think Gomez may start ahead of Bradley. It's still a big ask for him to start the biggest game of the season even though he's done so well to date. I could see him coming on for Gomez with 20 minutes to go when the game opens up a little bit to give us some drive and energy going forward.

The other question is Szob or Elliott. Hopefully the game against Prague helps Szob get up to speed. Elliott has played a lot of football recently. Again you could see him going back into that impact sub role on Sunday.

I really hope it's Szobo at RCM on Sunday, he's a lot better at the dirty work than Elliott and we'll need a lot of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Szobo was very rusty when he came on the other day, I’d probably give him minutes Thursday to tune up a bit before starting him against city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You lucky so and so . I'm grinning after just watching the video :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's in Liverpool's interest for Arsenal to beat Porto. We want them having a more congested fixture schedule, instead of the 8 day gaps between games that they got this week. Arsenal have been able to name a largely unchanged side all season so far with Raya White Gabriel Saliba Rice Odegaard Saka Martinelli Havertz available for nearly all of their games.

Forcing Arsenal to actually having to rotate will be good.

It's worth noting here that both Liverpool & Man City may have an additional fixture moved, but Arsenal will not, if they progress in the FA Cup. Liverpool v Fulham may move in between Villa & Wolves and Man City v Spurs may move into the same midweek. If Arsenal stay in their form, they could be top of the table going into the midweek before the final game but with an extra game played.

It’s in our interests that Arsenal progress in the champions league and meet city in the next round.

It's better if they meet in the CL semi finals, I think. Because that way, at least 1 of the 2 clubs face a difficult run of games.

As Arsenal would then face a run of Spurs - Man City - Bournemouth - Man City - Man Utd.

Man City have easier fixtures around their CL games, facing Palace, Luton, Forest, Wolves & Fulham either side of the quarter & semi finals. They can send out rotated teams there against clubs who might not have much to play for at that stage of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was at the draw this season, expecting another drubbing but it was toture to watch. First time going to a united game at anfield in 25 years. Previous was 1995, Fowler scored 2, I'd of been 8 years old, still remember it well.

Last game I was at was just pre-pandemic, December 2019. Wasn't all that confident when the lineup came out:

Went pretty well in the end though 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Edit: I'll leave my post, but reading through the comments it seems it is bull. Apologies

This better be bull, or we're in a world of trouble...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Arsenal are playing with the freedom of being 3rd favourites in a title race.

They will crumble at the first sniff of real expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I agree to an extent that not being top has taken the pressure away from them but I don’t believe they will crumble away. They are playing absolutely fantastic football and seem so well balanced across the park. I think they got a real chance this season and should be taken seriously.

The frustrating part is we gifted them a victory at the Emirates when a draw looked more likely and they have gone from strength to strength since .

Similar to previous season a draw playing city is never a bad result but ultimately I feel we need to win it to win the league as if arsenal go top I wouldn’t be confident we get it back especially with GD now so much in arsenal favour also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Some on here were actually moaning about Darwin's goal.

Agreed.

Some of the posts that they'll disappear seem divorced from reality given what we are seeing.

Once City is out of the way, they probably have the easiest run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think it's better it's a 3 way race puts more pressure on everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

like they did against us? they are the most in form team in Europe probably only behind Leverkusen, id be very very worried about Arsenal

I agree that Arsenal are unlikely to fall away this season as they have a fairly nice run in, and in great form with an almost fully fit squad, the way they are winning also means they are not expending as much energy as we are, however, I don't think City will lose to Arsenal, so if we avoid defeat against City and win our remaining games, Arsenal's goal difference won't matter.

Our injuries really are the biggest cause for concern and make us probably the more likely of the 3 to fall away, as I think we might run out of steam, especially if we were lose to City at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

For me Arsenal have a tough run in; they are away to City, Spurs, Utd, Wolves & Brighton. At home they have to play Villa, Chelsea and even Everton on the last day would be interesting if they needed a point as Everton are better away from home. Also they will probably have CL QF and maybe semi final matches in between those games.

After City at home, we have Brighton, Sheff Utd, Crystal Palace, Spurs, Wolves and hopefully for all games except City we will have several players returning.

Away from home we have tough games with Utd & Villa, then Everton, Fulham and West Ham.

With players back, I think we can win 8 of those, the tough 3 games being City, Villa and Utd.

Arsenal are currently 7/2 to win the league, they definitely can win it but more likely for me that they will come 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They are winning by large margins, would prefer them to win than city, they have a reputation as bottlers but the closer they get....

Yes I think Gomez should start ahead of Bradley,Don't get me wrong Bradley has been a sensation,but he has a lot of football played lately for such a young player. I would love to see him coming on after 70 mins when things might have opened up a bit,he would definitely cause problems for city.

City’s next two will tell a lot, they’ve us away and Arsenal at home, international break in between (which we actually need for once to get injured players back/up to speed).

Whatever happens both us and Arsenal are screwed if either are chasing City going into May as their May fixtures are relatively a piece of piss playing wolves Fulham and West Ham who will all have fcuk all to play for by then and be looking forward to their summer holidays.

Arsenal have Bournemouth/ united & Everton to play so potentially a relegation threatened team and a European spot chasing team for them to play.

We have Spurs/Villa and Wolves, spurs and Villa will still be battling for 4th by then so a couple very tricky games there, undoubtedly the toughest run in.

Ours and City’s FA cup games are obviously not included, nor European adventures, again we could do with Arsenal and City meeting each other in the CL and dogging out a two legged war of attrition.

But hey, one game at a time eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I believe Salah was supposed to train today but heard nothing more. 20 mins against Sparta Prague would be nice

The results of City against Liverpool and Arsenal will go a long way to determining what happens. If City win both, there will be no stopping them. A defeat for either Liverpool or Arsenal will basically end their title challenge and both could fall away once they realise the league is gone.

Another factor is that a lot of teams will be in holiday mode after the international break, so wouldn't really be expecting favours from anyone. Also Everton are likely to be safe before they play Arsenal and would roll over if it helps stop Liverpool win the league.

Something else that will influence the outcome is the order in which teams play their games, playing first in the weekend is an advantage as it gives a team an opportunity to exert pressure on the other contenders. Haven't checked who has an advantage here, but, would imagine while still in the EL we'll likely be playing catch up for most of the run in.

• Advertisement

I guess it's also in our best interest now to hope Bayern can win the Champions League so they keep Tuchel eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Tuchel is leaving regardless. That's been decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Alonso is out, and ruben amorim goes to Barca, what then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Talisman

I hear the former Ajax manager, Erik ten Hag may be available. He has been on sabbatical since 2022, but I'm sure FSG have the team that could convince him to return to the world of football management for the 2024/25 season.

• Advertisement

There's some speculation that the new sporting director will be Bournemouth's Richard Hughes.

In two minds, might need to get at City early doors.

Yeah in fairness it's hard to know,hopefully klopp gets the call right

The Stuttgart manager has been linked to a move too. They are having a good season. Kept them up last year via play-off and now 3rd this season, only 4 points off Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Don't forget, on their last tile run in with us City had West and Villa within their last 4 fixtures and struggled badly against both.

The reality is, you just don't know what a West Ham, Fulham, etc will throw at you in a title run...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

The Gomez/Bradley decision is quite interesting as because of the injuries, a lot of decisions have been taken away from Klopp - Jones/Jota in particular would have had strong cases.

Klopp may look to play it safe, and start with Gomez (and maybe even Gakpo), and then attack the last 30 mins. If Salah isn't fit enough to start then I could see that approach being taken.

Also depends what Klopp thinks of Doku. I heard a comment on a neutral podcast saying that even though Doku is a livewire, he doesn't supply Haaland the same way as you would expect a City winger to do, and his end product isn't massive this year - 2 goals and 5 assists in 19 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Has Bradley completed 90 mins for us yet? I think we normally comes off after 70 mins if he starts. If that's the case, I think I would prefer him to finish the game than start and be on the pitch at the end when the game opens up and we are hopefully driving at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,417 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He did against Southampton. Can't remember many more.

Not in the Premier League but he has done in all of the cup competitions including the final Europa League group game. He played the full game in both legs of the League Cup semi-final against Fulham and against both Norwich and Southampton in the FA Cup.

Doku is the player we were interested in before signing Diaz. Liverpool made a €16M offer for him in 2019 but Anderlecht were demanding more than twice that amount. He moved to Rennes a year later for €20M and in 2021 he was again strongly linked with a move to Liverpool until he suffered a knee injury. He was definitely highly rated by the Liverpool scouts and Klopp, following his move to Rennes there was an article with quotes from Klopp saying that Doku had been on Liverpool's radar since he was 13 years old. He doesn't fit the mould of a Man City winger, but perhaps that is the point as he brings something different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement