Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

The Gomez / Bradley substitution had all the hallmarks of being pre-planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Adrian might even get a game in the return leg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Just wanted to get through this game without any more injuries and now there’s talking Konate/Gomez being possibly injured. Can’t actually believe more injuries again. It’s ruining the result .

Konate would be absolute disaster to lose as VVD and him have been immense and so badly needed vs Haaland. If we lost Gomez too would be too much to play Quansh via City. Unbelievably frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,744 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah . Wrap Kelleher in cotton wool , and don’t chance in a dead rubber game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I assumed Gomez and Nunez were tactical rather than forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,299 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's what I assumed happened, he felt something, they were never gonna let him continue after that. Might get the City game and then nothing til after the international week.

Fingers crossed,as u said if he can play against city is all that matters

• Advertisement

Klopp confirms that Gomez was a planned substitution to manage his minutes,so no injury there

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Cheers that a relief . Everytime Klopp says someone “felt” something it’s 3-4 games minimum so im frustrating to be 3-0 up against a team and lose a key player .

Seen plenty of highlights and wasn’t a great defensive display at all. With likes of Foden, KDB and Haaland would have a field day with the space we provided . Kelleher could have been MOtM in a game we won 5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Damien360

A very odd defensive display. Every single attack we left 2 centre backs for cover with barely any midfield to break things up. Long balls past halfway line caught us multiple times. They had pace up front and that's about it. Repeat this against City and we will be eaten alive. Their keeper was truly woeful but the goals were well taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Best thing was getting minutes into those legs.

A good win, nice goals and we are better for Sunday than we were before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just checking back now..

I was running out the door when McManaman said it.

I should have known better..talks utter bull crap most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just need to get the best team we can on the field come Sunday, however it needs to be done. There isn't another league game until March 31st, so we can hopefully allow lads to properly rest up for the run in. The EL tie is all but done, and while it's always nice to beat Utd, the FA cup is a distant 3rd place as far as competitions go right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great result and great to see Salah back, the only negative was Konate's injury, hopefully he'll be fit for Sunday, due to the importance of the match it's probably worth risking him. What tonight's match did show is the difference VVD makes to the team, before he came on we were all over the shop defensively, but, were mush more solid when he came on. Kelleher was good again tonight, kept us in it in the first half. If we are as open at the back on Sunday as we were in the first half, City will murder us!, but I expect us to be much better defensively on Sunday, we can't afford not to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,180 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Michael Edwards held talks with FSG about coming back to Liverpool according to Joyce. Last weekend in Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

How many of our starters are likely to actually get a rest over the international break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Too much talk,if he was coming back there would be nothing about it.

• Advertisement

Richard Hughes is apparently good friends with Edwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Every game, another injury. Must be a reason

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Every game, another player returns. Must be a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

To me it looks mainly like friendlies this break, we should really get most to stay put

Seems like there is a bit of conflict around Salah between Egypt and Liverpool. They want him to play but Liverpool don't want to release him. Egypt say if he plays any games before the break, he must go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Talisman

When he got injured at the AFCON tournament the Egyptian management agreed to release him back to Liverpool to receive treatment. When asked about the injury by the media, Klopp said he was told that Salah was already on his way back to the club to under go his recovery. Salah was subsequently seen sitting on the bench for Egypt's next game at the tournament. Liverpool were misled about the assessment of the injury and the execution of the plan for the player to return for rehab. At best the national team staff were incompetent in their handling of Salah, but then the issue was compounded by the miscommunication with the club.

Liverpool have requested that Egypt exempt Salah from being called up for the international friendly to aid his recovery and their response has been to go all Billy Big Bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Looking to Sunday the team could be:

Kelleher

Bradley VVD Gomez Robertson

Szoboszlai Endo McAlistair

Salah Nunez Diaz

I think the only uncertainty to that team is if Konate plays then who goes right back at the start.

Could be better to start Gomez and bring on Bradley's energy at the end.

Robertson played the 90 last night. If konate is fit then I could see Gomez start left back. Robertson was very poor defensively last night. Also with Salah only getting 20 minutes last night us he fit enough to start? And can he be risked?

Salah will definitely start. This is the biggest game of the season. He'll be ready.

I'd definitely start Salah. He was sharp last night and his goal should have stood.

If he "feels" something towards or after the game then he needs to be rested during the international break. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Robertson was very poor last night. As well as his own performance, he made Quansah look very shaky, and Quansah was fine when Virgil came on. Robertson v Foden would be a worry on Sunday.

According to Christian Falk, Bayern have yet to make contact with Alonso.

The successors to Tuchel are now being discussed at FC Bayern. Xabi Alonso is still Munich's dream coach. But - despite many reports - there were still no negotiations between Bayern and Alonso. What speaks for it: When Liverpool contacted Iñaki Ibáñez, Alonso's agent, the agent immediately communicated the Reds' interest to those in charge at Leverkusen. That didn't happen in the case of Bayern. FC Bayern is still waiting for a signal from Alonso as to whether he can imagine a move to Munich. As soon as that happens, they would start negotiations.

https://thedailybriefing.io/p/christian-falks-fact-files-liverpool-183

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Will be interesting to see how the match plays out on Sunday - will it be tight and cagey or a blood and thunder attackaton?

It's also interesting to see what the City mindset will be - will they be happy with a draw and feel they can easily overhaul a 1 point deficit in their remining fixtures? I suspect that Pep will have this match filed under 'must not lose'.

Either way I think it will come down to small margins, the bookies have us priced at 2:1 to emerge victorious - I think that's way too high.

I'm not confident but I still think this team can find a way to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The team looked unbalanced as though they were playing a new system. Mac Allister and Elliott were forward in support of Nunez and both of the fullbacks were also high up the pitch leaving Endo to cover the midfield and a two man defensive line. I doubt we'll play like that against Man City but last night was definitely an opportunity to run up a big score line and was worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was just going to comment on this. We were unbelievable aggressive last night, it was like Klopp and Co decided we need to get as many goals as possible, early and fast in this tie, and were willing to take that risk.

The space between MaC, Elliot and Endo at times was outrageous, especially when the 2 full backs were also high up the pitch. Absolutely no chance we set up this same way against City on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭klose

Last night was just one of those mad games you get, not a hope that sort of stuff is seen from us Sunday as it would be suicide. We have an excellent team and a couple options off the bench for Sunday, all things considered we are in good shape for it.

Not sure how much of it I’ll be able to see from behind the couch though.

It's a bit mad that both the 900th & 1000th goal scored under Klopp were scored this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

110 goals this season!

Mind you, averaging about 117 a season is pretty crazy too

2.1 goals per game average

Mo's only scored 20.5% of those goals, not sure he's pulling his weight really 🤣

• Advertisement

That was the first time Sparta Prague lost at home this season.

The next round of fixtures could be interesting. We could be up against either one of the two potential candidates, Alonso or Amorim, or a Jordan Henderson Ajax.

It would be poetic for Klopp to finish his last season winning the two finals he lost in his first season.

Definitely won't be up against Hendo and Ajax anyway!

Szoboszlai looked wrecked by the end last night after playing 40 mins or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

For our fans' sake I don't want to face Roma, 2 Brighton fans stabbed before the game against them yesterday. I know it's near impossible to control how fans behave outside of the stadium but between this and Sean Cox you'd think some sanctions would be on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Konate waiting on scan results per the presser. Gomez fine.

Frustrating if Konate misses out as in hindsight he shouldn't have been risked.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

Mad that he has to wait on a results on a scan. Surely they get the results in an instant. They either get it instantly or he is lying. I think if there's any way he can play, its worth taking the risk. Let him sit out United and international break, the season is on this game. I genuinely believe Konate could be the best player in the league if he can stop getting injured.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Right there is a bit of hysteria going on, lets say Arsenal, Liverpool, and City each lost 1 game between now and the end of the season - Liverpool would win the league. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen but the idea that the season ends on Sunday with a loss is silly, and risking Konate makes no sense if he's injured.

We've managed the injury crisis fantastically, we are somewhat blessed to be where we are, I'd take the hand and all if I was offered a draw right now, but the result on Sunday could be anything, a loss would be deflating but the trick will be to go and win our next league game after the break and carry on in that vein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

A Roma v Liverpool final in Dublin would be worrying with our police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

This season has been nothing but fantastic, given the midfield overhaul, the disappointment of not getting Caicedo or even Lavia and ending up with some fella most of us have never heard of:)

Now we have won the league cup, Endo looks a world beater and what a bargain, we are in a title race with 11 games to go & QF of Europa final in Dublin and FA Cup - how can anyone give out:)

Nothing to lose on Sunday, all to gain, the crowd will be electric and hopefully City will start moaning early, in hard and fair, we have ever chance of wining the match. Even if we lose, it is still all to play for with 10 games to go but we won't:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was at Roma (Salah was playing) vs fiorentina years ago. Calling the ultras animals would be insulting to animals. Different breed

Got to love the way Klopp stokes the fire with Guardiola and does it with a smile.

Anfield has from time to time had a real impact on our game. Yeah, come on, the atmosphere that our people can create, am I allowed to say that it’s second to none, or is anybody offended by that?

It’s really good and energising, massive, and these are the games you want to play, you want to get the ticket to the stadium and watch. This is a very special game and yes, Anfield for us is a massive, massive factor. It would be a bit embarrassing if I would say today ‘please help us’. People will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trent is right, I said it too, no one takes City's success seriously, or are in awe of it, simply because it was done fraudulently. While everyone looks at Liverpool, and applaud what we've achieved, while having to compete with cheats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement