Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if it can't be us, please God let it be Arsenal.

yes, some fans will be insufferable, and claim Liverpool were frauds under Klopp. but this City nonsense needs breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd definitely prefer City B to win it over City A :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,303 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd rather City win it but thats because I know 2 avid arsenal supporters who are pretty despicable characters and the thought of them having any enjoyment pisses me off no end.

That;s just my personal view, from a football standpoint, it's better for Arsenal to win it. City are absolute frauds

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The problem, as I see it, is that any time City don't win the title, they can say "look, we weren't cheating, we are beatable" and gaslight everyone into thinking there's no issue. In that context, if Liverpool can't beat the evil empire, I'd rather they just got another asterisk title to cement the reality for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

100%. Anybody but City as long as it's not United or Everton. If it's not us then I'm fine with it being Arsenal, Chelsea, anyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The only team I'd rather see City win anything over (bar UTD) obviously is Chelsea. I think I might actually despise Chelsea more than UTD...I hate that club with every fibre of my being!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

City wins are easier to take because they feel artificially built - just the inevitability of a petrostate pouring cash in until success is achieved.

Aside from that, it feels like a missed opportunity when City have a sub 90 point season. And I think that feels even stronger this time around with it being Klopps last season.

I would prefer to see Arsenal win it over City but I’d mostly be a bit down over Liverpool not getting over the line regardless of who it is.

It's great lads, I saw this as a transitional season, rebuild midfield, get back into top 4, strengthen defence next summer and go again next season. Yet here we are talking about how disappointed we'll be if we don't win the league.

the sub 90 thing is the only thing that would irk me if Arsenal win it.

if they win 19 in a row (which is what it would be if they won out), and get well over 90 points, then all credit to them, and there wouldn't be an ounce of begrudgery in me.

If they somehow win it with 89 or under, I'll be a small bit irked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't like Arteta or his lego hair - definitely don't want Arsenal winning the PL.

City are cheats and their wins are meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wouldn’t mind Arsenal winning it over City if we don’t do it. Least makes it more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Don't like Arteta, Rice (for obvious reasons), Ben White and Zinchenko. I think there's a cockiness there that isn't deserved.

Having said that, Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard, Rice and Saliba are all elite players who I think would start for any team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Saliba wouldn't start for Liverpool if konate and Van Dijk are fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ederson is reported to be out for up to 4 weeks, which I guess means he will be back for the game against Arsenal in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Much rather City the win league again if we can’t do it. Further success will put a larger magnifying glass on their gross cheating creating more pressure on authorities to take some action.

I genuinely believe Arsenal beat City they have real possibility of winning the league. Don’t believe they crumble as some suspect .

It’s our best interest Arsenal progress in CL and getting Man City would be a dream tie for us given both teams major selection headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'd rather city win it as I remember how the Arsenal supporters acted in the threads round here, same with some of my Arsenal supporting friends, when city beat us to it twice, so I like them getting a taste of that karma. Even looking at the PL thread here yesterday Arsenal fans should have really been looking for us to beat city yesterday as they are steamrolling team but couldn't even see that.

Not sure why Kyle Walker is being allowed to do a propaganda interview on Sky trying to change the narrative on the penalty.

Mad stuff.

Guarantee you the City press officers offered him this morning for the express reason of being given the chance to say how strong Michael Oliver was in the face of pressure.

Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

100% agree thought it was terrible myself ,coming out saying he showed great character but declined to comment on whether it was a penalty or not. He knows the answer and that's exactly what it was propaganda is the best description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Actually outrageous, not sure I've ever seen Sky grant an interview so a player could blatantly thank a referee for a decision that went their way.

If Van Dijk went on Sky and said it should've been a penalty he'd probably be fined too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd rather move on from this.

Really hoping for a couple of comfortable wins in the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Positive. I remember quite a few saying that Endo wasn't up to scratch. Jones too. And Kelleher. And Gomez. And Darwin. And Elliot. Very few seem to be given a proper chance. Or go through a bad patch, and the knives come out.

It's Gakpo and Gravenberch's turn now.

tbh I've been guilty of it myself on a couple of occasions....usually after a defeat and I'm in a bad mood!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Next games important now surely the kids can get us through in Europe,then hopefully get good result against Brighton I'd actually forgotten we have United this weekend may stop these pints on a Sunday afternoon 😀

Walker is a poster boy for Man City's dirty play which referees fail to punish. He was kicking lumps out of players with impunity during the game. Mac Allister was on the receiving end in the first half. In the 74th minute he attempted to control a long ball from Kelleher and Salah pounced on the loose ball. Walker's second touch was a lunge in which he caught Salah and left him in a heap, nothing was made of it. Years ago that sort of challenge was open to retrospective disciplinary action. Less than 10 minutes later he took a wild sweep at Diaz on the edge of their area.

How he was never cautioned is a small wonder so obviously the referee was to be commended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

Last week we had Clattenburg speaking out on behalf of his employer and outright stating that he tried to get into the officials room after the game, this week we have Sky facilitating a player interview to support a referees decision that benefited them. The whole landscape of refereeing in English football is quickly devolving into a cesspit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't forget that the whole ref team yesterday are the guys who reffed a game in UAE in December.

I'm not saying they're on the take but if you're getting thousands of pounds for one game then surely that'd be something in the back of your mind where you don't want to do anything that might jeopardise that down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

yup....Forest fans may have not seen this.... should have been a free out to Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

We were brilliant in the 2nd half, 10 games to go and nothing to lose, the team are giving it everything and fingers crossed from March 31st we will start getting more players back than losing them to injuries. Next two are at home; Brighton and Sheff Utd, win them both & we are in a fantastic position with 8 games to go, the season has been incredible and the bonus is realising how much talent we have in the younger members of the squad.

One game at a time. There's still a lot of football to be played, the Thursday and Sunday match schedule could prove to be energy sapping as the quality of the Europa League opponents improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Surely we are destined to get Luverkusen in the europa final...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

There were some that thought similar regarding Dortmund in 2015/16 and they popped up in the Quarter-Finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Carra is a fool when it comes to calls against Liverpool, he forever sides with the bad call. No guts to call it like it is.

In his Daily Mail column Clattenburg, who is now a referee advisor for Nottingham Forest, took aim at VAR for not awarding a penalty to Liverpool late on. "Liverpool should have been awarded a stoppage-time penalty against Manchester City but this is the problem in the Premier League right now – referees are making mistakes in matches and not being helped by their VARs," he wrote.

"The ball bounces up. Alexis Mac Allister moves towards it. Jeremy Doku’s foot is high. He catches Mac Allister in the chest.

"Outside of the box, this would have resulted in a free-kick, every day of the week. Just because it happened inside the box does not suddenly transform it into a clean challenge when Mac Allister might be left playing connect the dots on his chest on Monday morning.

Kloppl has a drawer in his office for apologizes from officials , and there's no more room in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Needs to be a channel 4 style investigation into referees in England , they fly out there to countries with links to City's owners, get wined and dined, paid large amounts, earning six-figure salaries for side-jobs, and then fly straight back in, to see over games impacting a club owned by the states that are paying them, and then you wonder why calls against City and never forthcoming , the whole thing stinks to high heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

You say that but this time 48 hours ago I would have said "a kick in the chest in the box is so a penalty" but they found a way to not give it.

I would have said "a handball in the box that blatantly stops a goal scoring chance for the opposition" is so a penalty but they found a way not to give us one against Arsenal.

I also would have said that a perfectly legit onside goal with absolutely nothing wrong with it would be given as a goal but they found a way to not give us one against Spurs.

Who knows what they would have done had that gone in. The entire reffing organisation stinks and at this point I don't really care if it's bribery/handy gigs or if it's ineptitude, it is unacceptable and they all need to be sacked and start over. Too much of a boy's club as someone else mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

You're giving the ref far too much credit here! If he wanted to make sure and get it right all he has to do is go over and take a look at the replay as many times as he needs to come to the correct decision. In alot of ways I would have had alot more respect for him had he done that and then decided it wasn't a pen. But he didn't do that did he? No he waved it away and couldn't wait to blow his full time whistle confident in the knowledge he will be on the plane for the next free vacation to Dubai or where ever they take these refs....

When is Van Dijk getting his interview to talk to the public about Michael Oliver?

There's speculation in Colombia that Barcelona are sniffing around Luis Diaz. His agent met with Joan Laporte recently. It's believed that it would take an offer in the region of €120-140M for Liverpool to consider selling him.

It's been a while since we ripped off Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,546 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, I love Lucho but they offer over 100m and it's what he wants then best of luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Edwards done. Returns as head of football operations. What a **** signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Barca haven't a pot to piss in so how can they afford anything close to that?

Post edited by TitianGerm on

Inside Anfield video has been posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Arent Barca still in dire financial straits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Great news alright - hopefully he can work his magic again

He's not the same player since his knee injury, not as clinical not as sharp. He's in his prime, won't be getting any better, his style of play suggests there will be a sharp drop off too. North of 80/90m be a great deal

I doubt they intend to pay a significant fee, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them try to unsettle him and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

A tale of two City's!

I really don't like this Arteta Arsenal team.

Arteta finished 8th, 8th, 5th in his first 3 seasons.

He then bought Zinchencko and Jesus from Man City in 2022 and played Zinchenko in the same formation that he played for Man City and finished 2nd.

Without those transfers in 2022 from City that Arsenal team were lacking players who had experience of winning the league.

I just read that his new role is within FSG which will have him oversee football operations at the club.

Perhaps it's a hint that FSG are back in the market to acquire another club. The were linked with bids for stakes in several South American clubs a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

As rebounds go, we've not done too badly here 🙂

Advertisement