Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Would Salah really go from being the leading man to a supporting role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'd say you could be right. I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp didn't play him at the Leeds game also. Or at least just use him as a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

So minamino is injured on international duty. That should make for an interesting time if any of Salah/Mane/Jota get injured too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Taki injured, So Origi only back up forward at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We literally have no '' forwards' as in No 9's , so Minamino getting injured means little, he ain't no No 9, Firmino is a midfield also, not a No 9 regardless of fact he plays there. Origi too is not a No 9, if he gets on the pitch it's always to play on the left.

Simple fact is we haven't a striker at the club. But we have so many options regardless, I hope Firmino is out for a while, forces a change of thinking from Klopp, one we need.

Salah can play center, Mane right, Jota left. If Salah got injured Jota can play center, Mane Left, Elliott right, and even then Ox and Origi are there if it came to that, or even Trent, Tsimikas or Robertson, if Jota was out, Salah was out, Mane was out, Elliott was out, Origi was out, Firmino was out, Ox was out. It would be no different than having to play Henderson as a CB, but we'd need some crazy injuries to get to that point.

But lets get real, we have lots of cover in front 3, but it's a shame we don't actually have a striker, a no 9 at the club , but it seems to be by choice, it's how Klopp plays. We rely on all the front 3 to score goals, not just a '' Ronaldo'' to get 40 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

that's a weak argument, we've seen it happen dozens of times, not just to our club, but others too.

Money talks. And there is a thing of the best players wanting to play with the best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We do not have 'lots of cover' for front three, which is the problem.

For CF we have Jota or Origi as cover.

Jota is also competing with Mane for LWF, with (injured) Minamino as backup. Jones could maybe play there at a stretch.

RWF we have Salah, and maybe Elliot as cover.

That is not lots of cover.

More a question than an argument, I’m not sure what the decisions of other players have to do with Salah.

But since when did Jota become a CF, for Wolves he was far left,

• Advertisement

Jota's position is far left, Mane's is far right, and if Salah can play CF that is how we should play.

Mane was only pushed left when Salah arrived, and Jota doesn't get in the team as Klopp won't drop Mane, so he plays Jota central. Just play people in their position ffs

Mane for Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Another thing against your argument... he is filling in there. We need minimum another CF. Following that, a RWF and RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Mirror reporting tonight that Salah is demanding £500k a week to sign a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Players (or anyone) don't "demand" anything. Their agents do some research to establish what their client might be able to achieve elsewhere or what their clients worth to their existing club is and put that forward as their "ask".

If the club agree or can negotiate a lower wage the player will accept a deal is done. If not the player moves on.

It's just business, no drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

That's not surprising. Rami Abbas has been throwing shapes since the last contract extension was signed in 2018. He wanted a new contract in 2019 when Real Madrid were sniffing around Salah. The negotiation has dragged on for over 18 months at this stage which isn't a good thing. Abbas was very vocal in his denial of offering Salah to Barcelona last summer, however he was quiet by comparison when it was reported in March that he had meetings with Real Madrid and Barcelona to discuss the possibility of a transfer. Now he knows what is on offer for players at PSG and he's going to look for it for his client at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's international week. I wouldn't be too hung up on a claim in the mirror by a lad I've never heard of before. It's getting attention though, which is what they wanted.

VVD on the bench for the Dutch tonight hopefully that's where he stays.

Robbo playing for Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Probably helps explain the lack of signings, new deal will be probably 400k range, club made a loss last available accounts, with the other deals budget is going on salary.

It's being reported tonight that TAA will start on the right side midfield for England tomorrow.

• Advertisement

25 million per year would be cheap for Salah. I'm sure Liverpool will add 100m a year in commercial revenue in next 18 months, so no excuse other than greed not to give Salah 25m a year.

I suspect the concern is the knock on affect with other wage negotiations. At the end of his current contract Mo will be 31 given what was paid for him the club got outstanding value from him. If he wants to run down his contract, so be it, at 31 I doubt he will be getting anywhere near 500k from his next club.

He'll be on market early next summer if no contract signed before then. No way Liverpool allow him to run it down, only turned 29, next 4 seasons are his prime, we might only have him for one of those seasons, this one.

He'll still only be 29 when next season ends.

Liverpool showed with Gini that they will let contracts run down, he will be 30 next June, 31 when contract ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Give him what he wants,elite player

Absolutely. One of the best players to ever grace the league. He deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I don't know if the reported wage demands are true, but, the reality is PSG could offer him what he wants. It's understandable why liverpool would not give him what he wants, but, how do you replace him in the team, you would need to sign the likes of Haaland or Mbappe to replace him and they would cost way more. I'll admit when we signed Salah I thought we overpaid for him and thought he wouldn't do much for us, but, he has turned out to be one of the best value signing we've ever made. Unless the club can somehow unearth another Salah on the cheap, giving him what he's worth is probably the cheapest option.

Covid probably ruined the clubs plan to cash in on him last season or even this season.

Wouldn’t be hard to replace him at all.

A like-for-like player would just have to be very fast, selfish and take penalties to pad out his goals scored record.

It’s a shame because it would have been interesting to see who bought him and how much we took them for.

I reckon Traore would be a fairly similar replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Oh my..

You nearly got me there..

Then I got to the Traore bit lol!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

With all due respect, Gini is not on the same level as Salah. Salah is the best RW in the world. He keeps himself incredibly fit, in a similar vein that Ronaldo does, and I don't see 30 being a peak age with a decline after it. Salah looks like he could stay within a peak for a few more years. Unfortunately it doesn't look the same way for Mane right now.

The club also showed that there is some areas where they will give in when it comes to contract renewals, as they did with Hendo recently.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but I wasn’t comparing them as players. My point was that FSG appear not to be prepared to be held to ransom over contracts. Paying Salah €500k is not just about holding on to your best player, it’s about every other player who negotiates afterwards as well, if they don’t want to break their wage structure, they won’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Taa supposed to be in midfield for England today? Interesting if so, options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Agreed bit some players also want to become the best in the world. When Mbappe, Messi and Neymar are all playing together, the goals are shared and it's difficult to become top goal scorer when other are taking a good chunk of goals too. You really need to be the focal point.

If Messi and Ronaldo were always on the same team, they wouldn't have got as many goals as they got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

FSG need to find a way to keep salah and get him to sign a new contract before Christmas. No way can we ever replace him.

Yea, Salah is doing a Ronaldo in regard to how he treats his body, he's very much in it for the long haul, will be playing at 37, 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Which is why we got all the other lads on long term deals first before starting to negotiate with Mo. We knew he'd be the highest earner by the end of said negotiations.

I’m inclined to think it affects future contract negotiations rather than past ones, but perhaps some other players will want to renegotiate theirs if a team mate gets a huge bump, isn’t that what usually happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Edit: rebel is a god !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Edit it, then click the quote, and a little rubbish bin icon appears on it. click that and it’ll disappear.

or on mobile, just backspace it as if it’s a word and it’ll disappear

• Advertisement

I edited for mobile after - just put the cursor before your first word (‘how’ in your case) and hit backspace as if the whole quote was just a word, and it’ll disappear.

Fair play to you. Got it now. Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Not when they've all literally just signed them. And let's be honest here, all of them bar maybe Fabinho won't be getting another big contract off Liverpool given their ages at the end of their new deals if they even get one at all. We've got them signed up for their prime.

Edit:And Trent!

Trent playing midfeild for England and not in the game ar all

Bellingham looks absolutely top drawer, love to see him in our red

Just noticed Thiago wasn't called up by Spain for this international round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,668 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I haven't really been watching it but the pundits were quite scathing of Trent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,668 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yyy

I mean, it's hardly too surprising is it? Like, I'm sure he'd make a really good midfielder if he spent time there - but you can't just take a fella who's only played senior football at fullback, throw him into midfield in a team he only plays with every few months, with players he doesn't train with regularly, and expect it to work all that well...

I'm sure if he does poorly that it'll be written off as a failed experiment, when in reality it's fundamentally faulty experiment.

He just never got, in position to receive the ball , Basically the game past him by,. He also didn't look intrested,

I feel Southgate won't admit he was wrong to have Trwbt down as 4th choice right back and won't play him ahead of the other 3 so he's just shoe horning him into the team,

New manger comes in and Trent will be first choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

With any luck, TAA will get some time away from the England setup. I'd love if he could just focus on Liverpool for a while and get a bit of a break during internationals. Same for all the team. I hate international soccer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement