Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say Salah will get a new deal somewhere £250k & £300k a week with lots of bonuses attached for goals, assists & trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Good job Liverpool didn’t realise the SA based players, there’s been a bit of kerfuffle with the authorities at the Bra v Arg game and it’s been postponed after 8 mins with a few players (Martinez included) being detained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Brazil medical officials stormed the pitch to reprimand the 3 English based players on the Argentinian team for providing false information and immigration forms to get into Brazil in breach of Covid restrictions.

Sound like it was a bit crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I really hope we throw a shed load of money to BVB for Bellingham next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The ECHO understands the amount Salah is asking for is not in the region of the £500,000-a-week that was being suggested over the weekend

Salah scored a 90th minute equaliser for Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Ros1234

Different Mo, Mustafa Mohamed got the equaliser, good result for them as Egypt went down to 10 men in the 70th min and Gabon took the lead in the 73rd minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So Edwards isn't leaving, just renegotiating, the club is getting a bit like arsenal, everyone thinks it's open season.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Any link to this story please?

Also Swiss Ramble on Twitter has a thread on Liverpool's spending this summer, with some thoughts about our frugality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His contract should give him the ability to earn as much as Ronaldo, KDB etc, he's one of the Top 10 forward players in the world. He should be paid on par with the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's a very interesting read from the Swiss ramble. It's crazy that we're barely breaking even (ignoring covid) despite being successful and having a massive worldwide presence. Shows how insane the money in football is really

It also shows that our current approach is unlikely to change, we're likely to still be a sell to buy club for a long time. Which means the FSGOut calls are likely to get louder. Personally I think that's a shame, I think they've been amazing for us as a club. I vividly remember the Hicks and Gillette **** show, and in ten years FSG have got us back in an even keel, renovated Anfield in ways far beyond what had been talked about for decades, bought an amazing team (albeit mostly financed by the likes of Coutinho leaving) and got us Klopp. They've been instrumental in our recent success, even if not as instrumental as Klopp himself. I even think they showed humility and sense rowing back on their bad errors in the super league, furloughing, 70 quid tickets etc.

I think I have a romantic view of us. I like to believe we're still a community club, even if that community reaches worldwide. I think we have a good sense of shared belief, shared morals, I do believe there's something very special about the club. For me, that would be tainted massively if we were pumping in money that had been made by exploiting the lives of people in other countries, which is how I see City and Chelsea.

So, as disappointing as it is for us not be strengthening from our position of strength, I'm still immensely proud of this club, on and off the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It clear as day the owners are getting the club into the best possible position so they can to put it on the market and sell it ,

There setting us up to be a well oiled machine and then will sell for a massive profit ,

Once the stadium is finished the club will be sold ,

Klopp will be coming to the end of his contract & whoever buys us will have to dangle a huge carrot to get him to stay on ,

I also think if Klopp does walk away in 2024 , he will return & to manage us again before he retires ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Seems like keita might miss the weekend, some political unrest in Guinea means the border is closed.

FSG have never lied about club having to be self sufficient and that it would have to generate it's own money and that they aren't sugar daddy ownership.

They said from right off the bat they they bought the club because the believed UEFA that FFP was actually going to make football a level playing field, That was there first mistake believing a footballing governing body.

That's why at every transfer window it does make me smile when fans start screaming from the high heavens that FSG are cheap and getting ready to sell the club when they club hadn't generated enough money to buy the nice new shiny player despite the same thing happening at nearly every transfer window since they bough the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Id an argument with one of my Liverpool supporting friends about this recently, he's the kind who thinks we should be bidding on the Mbappe, Kanes, Halaands of this world every summer! I think a lot of fans don't fully comprehend the financial constraints in which we must operate and this FSG out brigade drive me insane...I do worry what the future may bring once FSG decide to call it a day. I spoke on here before about not been as passionate and invested about football as I once was when I was a teenager, wife, 3 young kids and the rest means priorities change as we get older I suppose. But if the next owners of our club are some Chinese / Saudi / Russian money machines with questionable moral issues then that would most likely be the final straw for me, I just couldn't stomach it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Poor aul Naby can't catch a break when he is on International duty. Normally, he returns to Liverpool with an injury but this time it seems like he is stuck in the middle of a military coup.

Could miss the next game through injury...being a prisoner of war!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I don't realistically see better owners out there than FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The majority of realistic fans knew spending would be small this summer due to loss of revenue from Covid, but that is an act of god type situation a pandemic, the owners should plug any losses. I want the club to stand on its own two feet, but keeping the team competitive and strong is going to cost more money if you do it as key players age further. We don't have a Coutinho to sell for a kings ransom to reinvest in the squad, the midfield and forward areas have been badly neglected this summer. Our squad and XI was miles ahead of United and Chelsea but we have let them catch up.

If the goal is winning trophies, you are asking alot of Klopp to compete with the resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's a business, not a charity. The club should be self sustaining.

Expecting the owners to dip into the their own pockets to appease supporters is fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Lets hope Harvey Elliott's injury ain't to serious & Taki aswell I assume Firmino is out of the Leeds game

Elliott injured with the England under 21's and has returned to Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Keita missed out on the coup with a muscle injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's funny how life changes your perspective on such things. I used to live and breathe Liverpool FC and now I have a very different perspective on it.

I remember when the likes of DIC and the investment fund for the Chinese government were in negotiations to buy the club. Fans I knew from my parents and grand-parents generation were adamant that if either of those institutions became custodians of the club then they would be done with it. I didn't get it at the time but I certainly do now.

I know a Man City fan from the older generation and from his perspective the club he loved and grew up with is gone and what remains is not his Man City. He got tremendous joy out of them beating Man Utd to the title on the last day of the 2011/12 season but he hasn't attended a game since. He still likes to see them beat Utd but other than that he has no real interest in the club and absolutely despises the new generation of City supporters that have a chip on their shoulder. He still has a passion for what the club was before the oil money ruined it for him.

''Where the money has gone''

The all I see is we spend way less, but take in far more.

• Advertisement

A match day ticket at United can cost up to 1350.00 pounds, while Liverpool is 107- 599 for a vip

It's like a crime against humanity for FSG to put the prices up, regardless of fact there is a 3 billion people waiting list.

FSG are a push over, they get things wrong, then some group with large moustaches voice their disapproval and FSG back down

Your friend was happier when they were bouncing between first and second divisions in a crumbling stadium? Strange outlook.

I’d have to say, I would have no objection to the club being owned by a petrobillionaire/State, anymore than I do with being owned by an American venture capitalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's an even stranger outlook that that's what you took from the post. They're obviously talking about the transition of their club from a footballing entity to a sportwashing national asset plaything.

I'd be in the same boat as Talisman anyway, if Liverpool ever became a tool for people to distract from human rights abuses, genocide, misogyny, homophobia etc, I'd be out the gap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

That's funny as I think your outlook is strange TBH. How could you have no objection to the blatant human rights abuses that some of these Chinese and Saudi in particular investors are held completely unaccountably for? You couldn't honestly say you could stand up in the KOP and sing YNWA with pride if the club are been backed / associated with something like that? anyway I'm aware I am going a bit of topic here so ill leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's not all about the glorious Premier League. He was a supporter since a young boy in the 1950s. He hitch hiked across Europe to get to Vienna for the Cup Winners Cup Final in 1970. He didn't have a ticket and it took him 4 days to get there. He loved traveling to games no matter where they were. There's a camaraderie amongst that older generation that didn't have the wall-to-wall entertainment expectation of modern day football supporters.

I remember going to Manchester for a cousin's wedding in 1988. He offered to take me and one of my cousins to the game that was on. We weren't that keen on attending the wedding so were quite happy to go with him. The mommies took a bit of persuading and we were set to go until somebody made them aware the night before that the game was away to Plymouth. My uncle got great mileage out of my aunt's "What do you mean they're going to Foooking Plymouth?" reaction when she found out. Needless to say we didn't get to go then but he went with a couple of his mates, it was an 7-8 hour drive each way and City won 1-0 and he made it back during the afters of the wedding. He didn't miss much but we missed an awesome day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm all for a self sufficient club. It's the way it should be but FFP is a mere joke amongst a handful of clubs in England and Europe and we're trying to compete with their riches and self sufficiency isn't really a viable option if we want to win titles or European cups regularly.

I'd be of the opinion that FSG are here to turn the club around and sell for a massive profit when they deem the time to be right. That's the business plan and that's fair enough. They've done a better job than anyone expected when they took over. I'm very fearful that the next owners are going to be something that I personally don't want, but the value of the club probably means they will unfortunately be the only viable option when it is put up for sale.

As for FSG not spending, I do think that's a mistake. The first 11 is more than good enough to compete. Our squad isn't tho. We've 4 players playing for 3 places up front. 2 of them have been out of form for well over a year.

Weve lost a man in midfield who was a machine and turned up with a performance every week. He wasn't replaced.

We've got one of the best RBs in Europe but nobody to act as cover if he gets injured.

We've got 5/6 players in the squad on big wages but probably won't ever get games thru rotation as they're just not good enough. The only way they play is meaningless Cup games or thru an injury to someone else.

In the space of 3 years we won the league and champions league, and also finished 2nd in those competitions. Other clubs of our stature would have got in a few players good enough to be in the first 11, or very near to it for at least every second game. We didn't. We've stood still while the clubs behind us got stronger and are not probably more on a level playing field now.

Personally I think we've reached the peak of this current squad, mainly due to lack of investment from the owners. I really hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,668 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know a diehard ,moss side manc who feels the same about city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He'll probably get injured getting on the plane home!

Off with you.

Some serious moralising here. Do you think most MC fans want to go back to the pre-Shinawatra era of relegation battles, or are they happy to now Lord it over their neighbours?.

When you start asking rich owners to prove their ethics, you are asking to be lied to. Sure you might like to go back to the Moore’s family era where local boys-done-good owned the club, but now it takes a huge corporate/billionaire/State to own a successful football team, and they all have skeletons in the cupboard. Did Liverpool lose its identity when the two chancers owned it, or when FSG bought it? No it didn’t, nor would it if some Arab Prince buys it in future, who do you think is going to be able to afford Liverpool FC when FSG decide to sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I've no idea where this idea of us being fattened up for a sale comes from. I've said before but billionaires aren't stupid. We could barely find one to buy us when we were going for a song yet some people think they'll be queuing out the door to buy us when we're going for £1.5 to £2 billion. And then said billionaire, having spent 2 billion of his own hard cash (he can't borrow it, that would be bad) is going to pump in billions more so we can compete with PSG, City and Chelsea.

Absolute fantasy. If we did get bought for 2 billion that money would 1 million percent be shoved onto the club a la the Glazers. Unless its the Saudis in which case, as said by others, I'm out. It won't be though, too stingy to pay a couple of hundred million for Newcastle.

Newcastle are not Liverpool, and the club valuation today is not the same as in 2010.

A 300mill investment in Newcastle may be poor value compared to 2 billion in Liverpool. FSG are investors, they bought to make money, and money they will make when they sell, whenever that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Am I the only one who hates the expression "Well these things happen in football and it will even itself out over the course of the season"?

If you knew anything about variance you would know that it's actually far more likely that it won't even itself out over the course of a season than it will. In fact I would say the odds of these things evening themselves out over the course of a 38 game season are astronomically high given the sheer number of lucky or unlucky events that can take place over the course of a game, or 38 games for that matter.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine that this is somehow the generally accepted wisdom on this. I mean, it might not even itself out over the course of your lifetime never mind 1 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Fenway Sports group. They like sports, they don't invest and build up companies and then sell to make a profit. Indeed they apparently turned down a £3bn bid for LFC this year. If they truly were just investors they'd have taken that deal and got the mad FSG out weirdos off their back as a bonus. They've repeatedly put it out there that they aren't interested in selling but are interested in minor investment which came in the form of Redbird. That sale of 10% of FSG already covered their initial investment to buy LFC. They've made their money back and profit on top. Redbird are investors though, be interesting to see how that develops as they definitely will want FSG to earn them money, something FSG have never required LFC to do.

300m on Newcastle would not be poor value in the same way it wasn't on Manchester City. You don't have to have historic lustre or a history of winning to become a sports washing machine for a gulf state as City has proved. So depends how the Saudis view it, do you take the City route, buy cheap and build it over time or buy LFC for upwards of £3bn and then commit many more billions keeping it competitive. Time will tell but its clear to me its only the Saudis who can afford to buy LFC and then invest in the playing squad on top at the levels required to match the new order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Is this the same tripe when they bought us that Red Sox fans thought all their cash would go into Liverpool? Or now that Liverpool is worth more than the Red Sox, all the money made here will go to the Red Sox to pay for a new pitcher? These investors have held on to the Red Sox long enough to make you think they aren't just in it for a quick buck.

It’s hardly a “quick buck”, they’ve owned Liverpool for 10 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Off with me? Nah, don't think I will, cheers.

On your first point - you're the one who was whinging about Talisman talking about his Man city supporting friend who felt exactly that. That he wasn't connected to the new regime. So obviously some feel that way. As Talisman said, it'll probably largely be the difference between younger and older fans.

As for asking owners to prove their ethics - there's a pretty fckin massive chasm between business practices you might not agree with, and being owned by a violently homophobic misogynistic state guilty of genocide and human rights abuses. Like, everyone has their own line in their sand for what they'd take, but if that's not past your line, then you're not someone I'd want to be sharing too many interests with.

As for your last question - that's something I'm absolutely dreading, because as you say there is a definite possibility that is the direction the club will go, and that's when I'll have to say goodbye. So I can only hope and pray FSG hang onto it for the long term, or sell to a group of other investors, or float it on the stock market. Literally anything other than sell to a state guilty of genuine actual war crimes and atrocities.

Where was I whinging?

And if your support depends on who the owners are, good luck to you, most true fans I suspect would continue to support the club no matter who owns it, good or bad. So as I said, if you don’t like any new owners who don’t meet your ethical standards, so be it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's often that the worst thing about football, is more football i.e. the International break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

There is an argument that Liverpool Fc are being run in may ways like a fan owned club with no sugar daddy plowing in money or a glazer taking huge sums out.

What the club brings in it spends on the club whether it be players or on the stadium/training area .

FSG are not taking out any monye whatever neither are they puting in money so the club is being run on a self sustaining manner and not building up huge debt.

Yes they have made sime mistakes but they have listened to the fans and reversed some of their decissions

In many ways it is what true scousers should want from their club but the fickel just want huge signings.

Some fans forget the dark days of H & G or even the latter days of the Moors ownership when David Moore failed misserably to build the commercial base of the club. This allowed Man U to become sucessfull , with loads of money to spend on players etc and we fell further and further down the financial pecking order and by extension had poorer players and little sucess for years.

In my book we have ideal owners in that there is no way we will go bust whereas if the Oil men in Man City or Chelsea get boared of football or their is a coup in the middle east or Putin falls out with Abramovich they are bankrupt.

Would I have liked a couple of more signings to beef up the first team - yes.

Do I worry about our fornt 3 in particular geting older together yes

Do I like the fact that we wont be going bust like we almost did 10 years ago - absolutely

Advertisement