Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea think Elliott and jones have both over 100 games for Liverpool, and in and around 20 each for the England U21s. Obviously Jones injured right now, but the fact that realistically neither of them are considered for the seniors when fit is more than a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Southgate loves selecting all his faves - Hendo still getting picked over someone like Ward-Prowse is insane at this stage.

Couldn't agree more - Henderson and Phillips being the most egregious examples, Ramsdale now might have to be added to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Mainoo seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment. He looked very tidy on the ball and had some good runs, but he is also part of the same midfield that we easily walked through at will on the weekend. I guess Elliott's problem is that he may not be seen as a midfielder but more of a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm not sure what you mean. Am I better off not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah just playing up to Tobey's bizarre line about attributing certain characteristics to certain nationalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Corruption starts at the top, unreal that after all this time, all the footage, that he still defends it, and still bangs the drum that Doku won the ball, WTF, MacAllister WON the ball, he chests it onto Doku chin guard, Doku storming in with his foot high COMPLETELY misses the ball, takes him out hard to the chest. And Owen leaves him off the hook, I'd have shove this bald head into the fcking screen and said open your eyes you fool!

MacAllister wins the ball, chests it on to Doku's chin guard, Doku's boot misses the ball as he turns his boot to try make contact with the ball, misses, and takes Mac out big time to the chest. Not Rocket science , they're either incompetent, of corrupted. There's a reason the ball flew up into the air, it came of his chin guard at a sharp angle. Fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Not incompetency but its corruption, refs can't surely be that blind and fail to see something that obvious, I'd wager any money that it will all come out in a few years about the refs on the take from cities owners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭McFly85

The usual old boys club stuff. Unless it’s a black and white decision these reviews exist to protect their mates.

Excusing the decision because Doku was going for the ball is nonsense, Jones was going for the ball against Spurs, but in that case it didn’t matter because it was reckless. And trying to say a high foot into an opponents chest isn’t reckless is complete rubbish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I just love the new "law" about Mac Allister going into Doku's space or something like that. I get it, they don't want to throw their buddies under the bus on such a huge weekend but you cannot just make it up as you go along. Who "owns" the space? The player that get the ball first? So would that have meant the Mane red against Ederson would not have been if he had nicked the ball? I guess not seeing as they would then bleat on about safety, but Doku's foot is high, is the danger not enough on his high foot? So now we are debating what is a dangerous high foot I guess. It's a joke, making it up as they go along.

Also, Alexis turns into it as if somehow that has an influence as well and that is why it is not a foul. He turned his body due to the high foot of the player and he was trying to avoid serious contact. Should he have barreled chest first into his foot? I see now why the De Jong stamp on Alonso was only a yellow, he went into his "space". Basically, play with your foot high and as long as you "own the space" you can do what you want, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"Ok, here me out, I've had 10 days to think about it and we've come up with this:....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Doku’s boot was high and made contact with Mac’s chest. That’s a foul. Thus, in the penalty area it’s a penalty. All other commentary is guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about him, but I do like the way the club is going about this. Seems they're identifying their targets early and doing what's needed to get them. Hopefully the same is true for the manager, if so we may get past Klopp leaving in as good a state as possible

• Advertisement

It's just clear as day.

Like this revisionist nonsense from Webb is a complete shambles, it's not that big a deal, it's not life and death, just hold your hands up and say it wasn't right but we live and learn. Pretending there was a significant debate over it is pure fabrication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Michael Owen should have asked him if it would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch?

I think football is the only major sport that doesn’t have the confidence to explain their decisions in near real time.

If they are confident the processes are being followed, it should not take a week before we hear second hand rationale as to why the ref might have given the decision he did.

Its clear to me that the organisation in its current state is not fit for purpose, and to bring it in line with other modern sports probably needs outside regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Lauras Law

It probably wouldn't be if Mac Allister's high boot on Maguire at the weekend is anything to go by.

That was a foul and he might have considered himself lucky to stay on the pitch. I don’t think you’ll find anyone here who’d disagree.

Refs getting decisions wrong multiple times doesn’t legitimise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

You’d have more time for VAR etc if they just called a spade a spade, it should have been a penalty and we messed up on that one, our bad. They instead try to trot absolute bullsh!t as reasoning then which is infuriating. The fact there was more uproar in the media over the Brentford winner obviously tells you the agenda they have also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This is long past time to be honest (outside regulation).

All of the big organizations, FIFA, UEFA etc have proven to be corrupt, and probably a convenient cartel of silence is all that prevents looking behind the curtain at the FA to see similar. All the big media organizations in Britain and indeed Europe are all in with the football organizations and noone wants to look at anything like the corrupting influence of gambling, mega rich owners or PEDs in the game.

Sometime in the future, someone will go too far though, like yer man Chuck in FIFA isn't the US and somebody like flthw feds or the Inland Revenue will lift the curtain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What kills me is that they're so afraid to go against whatever the ref decided on the day.....aside from a couple weeks ago when they were saying this shít about a fcuking drop ball!

Folks how likely would you be to get from Anfield back to John Lennon for 11.30 at night after the Atalanta game? I see there's still hospitality tickets and I'm very tempted to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Could make it but it'd be tight. You'd need to have a taxi booked in advance and with the post-match traffic you might struggle to get to the airport, then security and make your flight. Could you not stay a night? I probably wouldn't try that if I was in your shoes. Others might beg to differ.

I was going to fly in late Wednesday night. Have two meetings in work on the Friday morning and early afternoon so need to be back for those.

Yea, and I guess this is the first time in the HISTORY OF FOOTBALL, that someone kicked a ball, as in Doku, and the ball traveled backwards not forward, its defied the laws of physics , it was a magic football. The ball traveled back towards Doku cause Mac won the ball on his chest and sent ball towards Doku, it turns out it wasn't a magic football

If we lose this title because of refs getting wined and dined in the Middle East, where they get paid a years salary for a weekends work then it's time to quit, it's all rigged. It's the same as all of City's sponsors, it's not a corruption, it's payment for a legit service, they came out to ref games, we paid them handsomely, all above board. Bull!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

very tight but it has been done. Final whistle against Sparta was about 9.47. But to be safe and depending on where your seat is you might want to get out before stoppage time - it's the 1st leg so if you do miss a goal it's annoying but not critical.

If you're in a taxi by 9.50 you'll be fine I reckon, even 10 could be ok but depends on traffic. Just make sure you prebook it and it's not too far of a walk.

You won't be the only person doing it either, saw a post elsewhere asking the same thing

Is work in Dublin?

If so, one alternative is a flight from Manchester at 6am. That's what I did last time. The Ibis Budget at the airport was about £65 for a room and was grand. Direct trains from Lime St to Manc Airport

Work was tough the next day though, won't lie 🤣

• Advertisement

No I work in Wexford so the two options I was looking at was flying over from Dublin on a late flight Wednesday night and getting accommodation for the night or early Thursday morning then hanging around the city for the day before the game then straight to the airport and drive home.

Second option was a late Ferry on Wednesday night, sleep on that and then drive to Liverpool for the game and ferry back getting some sleep.

I'd go with the flight on the Thursday. You can still get flights to Birmingham cheap - €15 for 7.40am flight or €45 for 1.30pm flight from Dublin with Ryanair

There's a train station at the airport and it's 2hrs or thereabouts to Liverpool - I've done it a few times for games when Liverpool and Manchester are booked up

Then have a taxi booked and back to JLA after the game for that 11.30 flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

On the Man City pen, not sure what ongoing chat about it does beyond therapy for some. I'm pretty much over it. It was a pen, no ďoubt, buyt anyone expecting Webb to go against the call in a huge match like that is deluded. Plus, he's an idiot, a well paid presentable face for Sky to convince themselves they have a voice "everyone respects".

As for the conspiracy stuff, well, there are forums on here for that kind of thing where you get to give your opinion on what really happened to JFK too. There isn't a fan base in the PL that doesn't believe there's a conspiracy against their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Interesting to note the craic today in Spain with Rubiales and the arrests in a corruption investigation.

It's the likes of his BS with the women's team that open the door for authorities to stir things up.

Which team has the best fixtures and who has the hardest run of games to end the season, the answer lies in the fixtures and the PpG of the opponents, and it tell us Liverpool have a great chance.

PSG want Diaz on their left, when Mbappe leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Since Mbappe's announcement, they've been playing Barcola there more instead, with Mbappe moved into the centre. A lot will depend on how Barcola does - if he can impress i'd say they'll leave things be and stick with him, but if he struggles they'll go hunting for a new guy.

Gonna say it, I'd take 100m + for Diaz easily.

Love his engine and skill set but I don't think he's as clinical as you'd expect him to be. More than happy for him to stay, but I'd keep Jota, Nunez and Salah over him for a start and the new manager will want to put some sort of mark on the team in his own style and getting big money for Diaz to shape the attack is a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Talisman

I agree. Also, Gakpo's best form was when he played on the left so between himself and Jota the position is covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Anyone that wouldn’t take that sort of offer is mad imo, good player but replaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭.red.

I love watching Diaz but his end product is awful. He's got about a goal every 4 league games, and his best return is this season with just 6 goals. That's not the form of a Liverpool wide man.

I'd take £50m for him now. I'd be absolutely gutted to see him go but I honestly don't think he's good enough, he's exciting to watch,he gives his all plus some but there isn't enough goals and assists. He does run people ragged tho which frees up a lot of space for others.

I love the murals around Anfield these days, this looks like it might be the best of the bunch 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Love the way that they have gone with the church glass theme to suit his nickname 😇

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭jones

50 seems a bit low for me to let him go. Diaz has so much talent but I agree his end product will most likely never be top end.

PSG are loaded and then they get to factor in wages saved from Mbappe leaving. I wouldn't take 50m either. But over 100m for sure and likely anywhere close to 85/90 I'd be ok with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

If we sold Diaz for good money and got Kvaratskhelia I wouldn't be disappointed. Olise as a longer term Salah replacement would be a cherry on top.

'' it didn't happen, ya didn't see it, it never happened''

People talk conspiracies about Ref and VAR, but what we're actually talking is facts. We have VAR speaking the words '' Doku won the ball, check over no penalty'' while we have video showing the complete opposite. It's not a conspiracy theory , it's fact. Diaz was onside against Spurs, fact, Darren England on VAR got it wrong, he was corrected 0.5 of a second later by VAR replay operator, and was told to stop game by The VAR Hub Operations Executive, but refused point blank to do so, fact. '' no no, I can't do anything'' ''they're ringing in to stop the game'' '' NO NO! It's restarted, no no! '' '' Delay delay, they're calling in'' ''NO NO !''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Endo is going to only play 30 mins this international break as he was a second half sub yesterday and his second game has been cancelled.

No harm to get a little break into him, especially when Japan's games were not friendlies like in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Japan's game against North Korea next Tuesday is cancelled so Endo gets a well deserved break

Edit: And he only played 30 mins last night

• Advertisement
Advertisement