Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Madison was very good up to his injury. Has been pretty average in the games I've seen since his return.

Hard to know what's up with Grealish this season. Only played 14 pl games this season but he was injured for a little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,535 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Picture this, Zidane takes over Rangers, wins the league, moves to relegation threatened Villa, saves them, then struggles next term as team has a lot of injuries, gets sacked.

A lot of it is luck, and the right team. Pep's a great example, he has never managed a struggling team in his life, same as Zidane. Do you think Gerrard could take over at Real, City, PSG, Bayern, and turn them into mid table teams? No not likely, he'd win title after title. Gerrard made a big mistake taking over at Villa in the state they were in, all it did was tarnish his rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, i never get Liverpool fans complaining that a player doesn't get a call up. Lone the mid season break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Madison has had a decent season but has been injured for a good deal of it. Grealish hasn't played much this season, I thought, and not done much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like Graelish is struggling this season a bit with Pep, but imo he's still just a better player. As someone already established in the squad, it'd be very hard to replace him. Same with Maddison, even if his form has been a bit lower after his injury, he's still looked decent and from an England point of view you're absolutely definitely calling him up with a view to the squad for the Euros. They'll be looking at him playing his way back into form as he regains full fitness. Those positions in particular have been so thoroughly pinned down throughout the qualifying campaign, no-one new has a hope of cracking in there. The base of CM is one of their real weak spots, which is what opens the door for Mainoo.

Elsewhere, two smashing peno's by our old boys Harry and Neco for the Welsh. Meanwhile, Dan James fluffs his lines and costs Wales the Euros.

Was watching it - tough way to go out but it is what it is. Poland to lose all 3 games in the finals, as always.

Yeah - would've really liked to see Wales get through, especially with a few of our old boys there. Really disappointing way to go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Generally I do dislike these breaks but sometimes international breaks can be good for Liverpool, in certain scenarios.

For example I think that Nunez has been helped this season by having Bielsa as his manager and coaching him in a similar style that Klopp would.

The likes of Tsimikas who wouldn't be getting as much game time during a regular season, it can be used as a way of getting game time into him and rhythm before a run of games. Hopefully Robbo is not injured but at least Tsimikas is match fit now and is not coming in cold.

Likewise Konate has got the rustiness out of him by playing tonight after his recent injury problem. He's proven he can play 90 mins too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its the usual distraction tactics they always pull, he'll be fine for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Well Bradley, Mac Allister, and Szoboszlai all scored yesterday at least...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Question:

Is there a train from Lennon airport into L'pool Lime street ? Running all day/night?

Is that the best way in to Lime Street ?? (staying at hotel near it).....

Thanks in advance 😁

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

No train, there's a bus, 500. Don't think it's 24hr, but it definitely starts early. Takes about half an hour, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Bus stop right outside terminal tax costs about 20 to get into city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Jones wasn't cut out for it up until the last 6 months or so. I understand why he was left out.

Southgate said himself if he wasn't injured he would have received a call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jones was plenty good enough to get a call up last year, especially over Phillips and Henderson. What ruled him out was that stress fracture though because he was rusty coming back from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's nice for the players to have their talents recognised but I'm very happy to keep our lads away from the England set up.

Even disregarding the potential risk of injuries on international duty I just don't think it's worth it to have them subjected to that much scrutiny from the English press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭antimatterx

He only came good in April or so and that could have been a purple patch. He has been consistent and a class player since though so I think he has earned a call up, but only recently imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

no.500 bus from pick up point 5, something like £3 single into city, cash or tap card. about 30mins journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

going to the Merseyside derby on 24th, have mates over there that swung me a ticket in the home end, dunno what to expect, have been to Goodison before but not v us so i kinda shouted for Everton. it'll be hard to stay quiet tho at this one 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

You think Elliot is better than Maddison and grealish?? Are you off your rocker??? Seriously? Lads Elliot is so over rated in this forum by some it's crazy to me. I honestly don't know what player ye are watching each week if people actually think he is up there with the likes of Foden and Grealish and so on.

Now you could make an argument that Elliot is having a better season than Grealish but the England team has always been picked on reputation over current form for as long as I've been watching football. Dunno what it was like before the 90's but ever since the 90's it's always been picked on reputation and the club a player is playing at rather than the actual form of those players. So I won't be surprised when the likes of Maguire and Grealish, who haven't played much this season compared to others walk into the squad for the Euros and none of ye should be either.

• All buses are £2 in the UK and you can use your card. Madness that Ireland doesn't have it still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah there's no way Elliott is better than Madison or Grealish.

It's not even a debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think the problem with Gerard and Villa, it wasn't just the injuries that hurt him. It was the playing style and the way he isolated players in the dressing room. Another mark against him, much like Brendan Rodgers when he left, the new manager was able to get those same players play better and get the results. I think unfortunately for Gerard and those that want to see him as manager here, he has shot his load at what happened with his spell at Villa. Going to Saudi should be the next black mark against his name.

What I don't get is that while Mainoo has looked good, he has been in the midfield that has been run through so many times this season. I think the younger generation of players look composed from early on, but it is about kicking on. This counts for our youngsters as well, but I cannot help but wonder how we were able to stroll through the United midfield while he was on the field and they equalised after he was substituted. And he was on the pitch as well when England was 2-1 behind as well.

Yeah, some of the 'midfield' stuff in the cup game was mental. There was regularly empty spaces of 40 yards in the pitch. I think Klopp might target this in the league game. It's similar stuff that we used to criticize Fabinho for last year - being caught out of position and too high up the pitch with no protection for the defence.

• You'd have Cole Palmer ahead of him too and he didn't even get any minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Elliott is not better than any of Southgate's options for where he would play him - in those 3 positions behind the striker. If Southgate played the same system as Klopp, then maybe there's be more of an argument.

also, i prefer players to not get picked.

Mainoo is class. You can see it. He is very likely to get to an extremely high level. but his current level is being severely overrated because of big team bias. i've seen people saying he's not too young as the likes of Bellingham, Mbappe and Yawal have all been getting senior team recognition at that age or younger. He's been good, but he's nowhere near that good. Though he is exactly the profile that England do need in that system - but he's benefitting from a dearth of options that could play in a 2 man midfield beside Rice.

But he's been part of midfields that are regularly being torn apart, including in the loss at Old Trafford. That loss had little to do with him - he did that one beautiful dribble that could've set up a goal, but apart from that, was anonymous like the rest of them while we wasted territory and chances galore.

But either way, keep as many of our lads away from international duty as possible. They need the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Ifmyou doma bit of reading up you will see, state of club and finances, serious lack of ambition, they didn't build on the 08/09( I think)team which pushed hard form the title.

He was most in form striker in the world back then, and we weren't competitive, he wanted to win titles and work with a stable club neither of which we could provide.

That's my opinion anyways, if he was a world beater with Chelsea it may be different as might sting a bit more!

I'm around the same age as him but always liked atletico with him there so always followed him, like I said I was gutted he left, and only felt that way about bobby since but he went on good terms.

• Advertisement

I was talking about form this season (granted - I wasn't clear). Your point about Southgate picking players on loyalty over players in form is valid, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Doesn't Mainoo being picked disprove that point. There are better players in Elliott's position, simply as that.

7400 in the queue for SHU ticket. Won't be getting a ticket for that game either so.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Is there a way to check where you are in the queue, in Jan I was 6,230 in the queue for Sheff Utd - just wondering if there was a way to check how close I am now and the cut off date, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I may go back to buying the membership card and try again next season for tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Robertson injury seems to be fine. Might miss this weekend but back after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

"At this stage Alexander-Arnold is targeting either the first leg of the Europa League quarter-final against Atalanta on April 11 or the league game against Crystal Palace three days later.

Goalkeeper Alisson, who has been out with a hamstring injury since early February, is also eyeing mid-April for his return."

- James Pearce

There isn't really a number per se, but the general rule for the last few sales have been 1,500 extra tickets because of the Anfield Rd development opening up further.

I was # 35,000 or something mad like that, for one of the extra sales a month or something back. Surely there is a better system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

TAA was supposed to be back for the United league game,now its pushed back. It will take him a while too to get back up to speed

Always add on an extra few weeks for our lads with their injuries, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Arsenal have a ballot system this year where everyone enters and it's luck of the draw then as to whether you get it or not. Doesn't matter if you enter the moment the window opens for the match in question or in the last 30 seconds. In some ways it's fairer. In other ways it's not.

Not really sure what the solution is with so much demand for tickets these days.

Yeah there is a ballot for Liverpool too. 1st one is in July-ish time and covers all home league games until the end of January, and the one in December-ish time which covers February-May. Same situation, members within different credit groups enter into luck of the draw ballots. Once sale goes ahead, you're placed into a random queue position.

These additional sales are being held because of the Anfield Road stand redevelopment being delayed so long, with the tickets for the top section of the new stand not being on sale at the original sale time. Once the new seats were opened up in a phased basis, they've been having an extra sale for the additional seats in each game.

Joyce & Bascombe have said Alonso unlikely to feature on the shortlist for new manager next season. They say Liverpool don't think he is available.

Wow… took a look at the Joyce article, and he says it's not that Alonso will move elsewhere, but rather than he wants to stay another year at least at Leverkusen - which, fair play to him if true. Better than losing him to Bayern. But would be hugely disappointing to not have him in the conversation at least. The bit of hope that he might come in is the only thing taking the tiniest bit of an edge off losing Klopp. Next up would probably be Amorim I suppose, who does look a decent option too in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

IF Amorin gets the job then I will be happy with that appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Bayern president was saying similar earlier but I chose to ignore it...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68690445

I'm really gutted by that, the thought of Alonso was the only thing tempering my devastation at Jürgen going

Perfect time to give Gerrard the job as caretaker manager, while we wait for Alonso. 🤩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think it's quite likely to be Amorim and to be perfectly honest I know little about him other than he's done a very good job at Sporting.

I do know that no one would have been given as much patience as Alonso and he just looks made for the role but if he's staying at Bayer, I admire him even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
Advertisement