Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah there's no need to be so quick to judge. He's 21. We know he's not up to the intensity of the PL yet, but coming over at that age is a huge adjustment in literally every way possible. He's shown in the cups and Europa that he's a very useful squad addition - just not in the PL yet. At this age, that's fine. There's plenty of time.

Especially pointless judging on tonight too, his first game (aside from one minute against Brighton) back since his horrible ankle injury against Chelsea back in February.

Anyone's issue with Grav, should actually be with Klopp starting him in games he's not yet equipped for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

We dodged a massive bullet with Caicado. Imagine paying 115m for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Edit: Wilder quote, but giveitholly beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Such an enjoyable season.

At 1-1 we were so brave. Leaving massive gaps at the back to pressure high up the pitch.

Love watching this team. Trying to appreciate every match because these times don't last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Some nice words from MacAllister to Gakpo. Class act.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Administrators Posts: 54,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TBH it's not a fair judgement, he'd be a lot better in our team.

So should we just skip the middle-man and appoint Mac Allister as player-manager for next season? 😅

Xabi reborn.

yeah, absolutely - it's such a system specific role in the team. If the system is good, and everyone knows what they're doing, a good 6 can shine. If the system and players around you aren't nailed down, you're left in the middle of chaos. He looked brilliant under De Zerbi's tight tactical system, and I've no doubt he'd have looked great for us after settling into Klopp's system, just as Endo has, after getting the time to adjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looks like Endo will be ok for Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I would'nt be devastated to see Pep in charge next year with the same coaching team around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

His ability to always turn his way out of trouble is him reading the game so well, as you said a real rarity in today's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

No surprise Wilder would want Liverpool to win the league he has said before his dad was from Liverpool & all that side of his family are Liverpool supporters & he used to go to games at Anfield in the 70's with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,537 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Last 16

8 to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He was a 200 million minimum signing,fee and salary for Chelsea,, looks like bonuses are unlikely in the short-term,,I don't know about turning water in to wine but involved in that bidding match quiet happy to miss out, it's ok for Chelsea but would have been damaging for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is exactly the challenge imo. Football works in such a way where you are being told to fixate now on the final outcome, on who our manager will be next season, what signings we will make, etc. This is literally the last seven weeks of Klopp’s tenure, and there are 10 - 13 matches left. Then it will be over.

Around this time two years ago I was drinking in that feeling of being at the very top of the game, competing on all fronts. This period is to be imbibed with the same glee imo.

We may go years until we have a team this efficient again, with such a unified purpose mentally, physically and tactically. Inspite of how good we are, we may fall short again on 90+ points. The thing to savour and suck up is the process of the team being this good. What they are capable of, the beautiful football they play. It might not be this good again for a very long time, but so what. All that matters is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A small point from last night.....

That tackle on Konate in the second half was shocking, and zero action taken. Ended up a scissor tackle around his left leg, woth his knee buckling badly. He went off for treatment, and came back on, but if he's OK he's a lucky boy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back at him over the next day or 2 when the adrenaline wears off.

I can't understand how there was no action taken, no VAR (well, I can understand it given their record) but it was a shocker. With all the talk about duty of care and recklessness, we shouldn't have to wait for a lad 5o be on the table getting his ACL being put back together to take action surely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It was a wild tackle and the ball was already gone, to me it was a clear as day red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mac with 10 G/A in his last 10 appearances

Just had a scroll through the stats and you'd have to go through Henderson's last 86 appearances for Liverpool to total 10 G/A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Don't get anything confused, folks. We should not be in a title race.

Between injuries, a whole midfield rebuild, Arsenal investing and City being City, any reasonable person would've labeled this a transitional season. But between multiple late rallies, VVD holding things together, MacAllister going Gerrard, squad players playing levels above themselves to compensate (Kelleher, Elliott, Bradley, Quansah) and Klopp being a genius, we're there.

But I believe Arsenal and City are better teams right now. Might that matter? No. But what I don't want to see is this group of players berated if they don't get over the line. This season has been phenomenal, and actually an appropriate tribute to the outgoing manager.

I can't believe where we're at. It's mad. We shouldn't be here, but I'm fúcking loving it, and I won't forget it no matter what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He's awful. Zero commitment to 50/50s, zero fight and strolls around. He's like a timid mouse.

Last night he was entrusted and given the opportunity to play in such an important game and he comes up with that performance? Thank goodness Curtis is back.

He'd look rubbish in a testimonial game.

He may have the skill - haven't seen it yet - but he has absolutely no desire or heart. He knows it and the players know it. It's obvious.

If he was giving 100% I wouldn't be slating him. Look at Darwin for passion and fight. Look at Diaz - after a poor spell - who kept at it. Kelleher and Bradley etc etc etc. Busting guts.

He'll end up in Turkey after this.

Can't even call it a tackle really. Osula sees where the ball is and still goes in for Konate's legs.

That was a red. Bad enough the playacting, but to then injure a player while doing so? That could have been an extremely nasty injury.

Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Spurs game moved to May 6th with a 4:30pm kick-off

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just looking forward to Sunday. I presume Robertson will start,Konate as well presuming he has no adverse reaction today to that tackle. Will Bradley keep his place or could he go with Gomez right back?

The midfield trio will surely be Endo,Mac and Szobo. I wonder was the plan to give Nunez the full 90 last night? Or because the way the game went they had no choice. With his recent history with his hamstrings,can he start a 3rd game in a week?

I'd say you're right about Robbo and Endo coming in for Gomez and Grav. I reckon Bradley keeps his place

Hopefully Nunez starts. As always, he just makes stuff happen

I thought Curtis made a real difference when he came on, I'd happily see him take Szobo's starting place and swap them later on. I think that would add some fight in the middle that we may well need early on (that said, Endo and Mac bring lots of that already)

Poor Konate was having a rough time of it with the ref, this one drove me mad too. It's so transparent what Brereton-Diaz is trying to do and the ref still falls for it.

You've got to think 90 points will win it this year.

So 7 wins and a loss or 6 wins with 2 draws should be enough for Liverpool in their last 8.

Sounds easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And also importantly Spurs will play Chelsea on Thursday night too. Arsenal Chelsea Liverpool all within a week for Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

Expect Villa game the following week to be Sunday as well with Europa and Conference semis a distinct possibility for both Villa and Liverpool. Villa will be away in Turkey or Greece on the Thursday night too

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Steviemak7

I thought 90 a few games ago but now I'm thinking 91. Have to keep GD better than City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's impossible to know because I think people are underestimating how horrific City and Arsenal's run of games with the CL could be. If either team gets through the CL quarters and semis period unscathed I'll be astonished, and if we lose out because they somehow get through everything perfectly, then hats off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We should be hoping for a City/Arsenal CL semi with extra time and pens and bad tackles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I think u should of looked for odds on that bet u made last night, seems a longshot to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I expect City to win their last 8 and finish on 91 points…and I have very robust reasons for thinking that - they've done it so many times before under Pep. It absolutely isn't fair (in both a philosophical and technical sense, the cheating ****s!), but it is what it is. We can lose or draw once, so long as we are tipping away with the goals through our wins. And honestly, they are going to smash goal difference over the next 8 games also.

• Advertisement

Worry about the points first, and then goal difference afterwards. Goal difference very rarely decides titles or promotion/relegation, European spots etc. Points nearly always do. Look what happened in 13/14 when Liverpool when chasing goal difference. They sacrificed the 3 points to do it.

And look at the confidence of some Liverpool fans this week ahead of Sheffield Utd. They wanted 5/6/7 goals to claw back goal difference. That was a tough game last night, because Liverpool were complacent. You have to worry about the result first and then any big goal returns are a bonus afterwards.

We want Arsenal and Man City to drop points via draws and losses. If we win our games, the goal difference naturally increases as by-product and if Man City & Arsenal lose, it naturally decreases.

I'd bite your hand off right now for 7 wins & 1 draw in the remaining games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Every game is going to feel tense and nervy. Pressure and tiredness will dent every performance now. The win is all that matters.

The Man Utd players have a great chance to get their manager sacked on Sunday - although they'll probably decide to play like 1970s Brazil just to be annoying.

Hard to believe we've a draw and a loss against them so far this season because they have been generally dogshit, including in the 2 matches against us.

I bet he won't see any more minutes this season when the going gets tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Advertisement

It's not them turning 1970s Brazil I worry about, it's them turning into prime 2006 Chelsea/Liverpool defensive mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I knew last night was going to be a more difficult match than it looked on paper, but, the most important thing was getting the win, we are just not clinical or killing off teams and that always leaves the possibility of a sucker punch. I think our remaining matches are going to be a struggle too and we'll have to grind out the wins. The United match could be another frustrating afternoon, not sure if the way they lost against Chelsea is a good or bad thing for us, but, we really should win that match, regardless of how United play, if we don't we can have no complaints.

I think there's a strong possibility of one of the 3 title contenders winning all their remaining matches, not sure who, but, Arsenal are in best form of the 3, but, have a few tricky fixtures, City have the easier fixtures, but, not quite playing as well as other seasons. We have a few tricky matches left, and don't look as convincing as the other 2, yet we have a 2 point advantage. I don't see us overhauling Arsenal's goal difference and I think City are likely to overtake our goal difference too, so we are going to have to win on points, that leaves very little margin for error. I'd love to see City and Arsenal drop points soon, preferably in their next 3/4 matches, just to give us some breathing space. I'd take 8 scrappy 1-0 wins right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

I fear the amount of space the utd wide men will be getting on Sunday,with our RB+LB both tucking Infield, Anthony might be sh1te most the time but only has to deliver once and Garnacho is seriously fast and on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I don’t believe Liverpool were complacent last night. We’ve had the same problems with conceding goals, giving up big chances and generally be abit wasteful in the opposition 3rd since the united game in the FA Cup. Thankfully we managed to keeping finding a way to win the league games.

Part of it I believe is trying to regain rhythm with big players returning from injury . Salah , Robbo and Szobo looking extremely rusty . Salah has so incredibly wasteful but still scoring but last night him coming off helped turn the game.

A lot of people laughing at united at the moment but they are very unpredictable and we have poor record lately against them. Hope we learned from FA Cup and don’t allow Garnacho so much space on the break but I get the feeling they are going to well up for it and have goals in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

This is deadly, probably posted and I've missed it

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGemPe78C/

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I can tell you hear now, City will not win their final 8 games. They will drop points in at least one game. Whether Arsenal or Liverpool are good enough to take advantage of the potential slip from them is another story.

I truly hope one of them is!

it sounds like you think Liverpool are not good enough though, judging by your post in the General Thread.

Out of interest, barring last night vs Sheffield Utd, which games made you think that Liverpool will get caught out eventually because of the way they are playing and how it is unsustainable?

We've kinda been squeaking by a lot over the past while, just doing enough… the last minute winner against Forest, and coming back from a goal down against both Brighton and Sheffield United without looking hugely convincing, and of course the awful second half against Man Utd in the cup. Of those, the Brighton performance was probably the best, but was still a good way off the level we'd like to be at.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, I'm a bit worried about Spurs at home, and Villa away. Spurs are just about over their injury issues, and will be a tough game as their recovered lads get back up to speed. Same with Villa - have a tonne of injuries right now, but by the time we play them in May you'd expect most of their injured players to be back.

Arsenal and City still have to face Spurs too, so that'll at least be a bit of a coin toss over who gets away with 3 points from that game - i reckon at least one of the 3 teams will drop points in that fixture though. Villa on the other hand will be harder for us than for the others - City just played against their injury-wracked B-team, and Arsenal play them next week so will probably be facing a vastly depleted side too, while we're likely to face something close to their best side.

The Brighton game was more down to poor finishing than poor performance IMO - xG of 2.8 - 0.5 suggests a hammering more than a lucky victory. I know that xG doesn't portray an extremely accurate picture but in hindsight the game wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests. Even if there was a few nervy moments in the last few minutes.

We've been squeaking over the line in some games alright, but that's mostly in scoreline rather than performance in my eyes. Sheff Utd defintely a bad performance. But Man Utd, Brighton, Man City games we created plenty of opportunities and were a bit unlucky to not win those / win by bigger margins, IMO. It would be a much bigger worry if we were not creating vast amount of chances in each game in my eyes, and relying on a moment of magic. The last game that that happened in was Forest away, which was 7 games ago, and littered with injuries.

If a repeat performance of Sheff Utd comes against Man Utd, then I would get very worried though. Two in a row has to be looked at seriously.

Agree with your point on the Villa game though, that is a big worry for me now, especially considering it's away from home and potentially after a European game with constant weekend/midweek run of games. Villa know how to shut up shop which is our kryptonite I feel. The Spurs fixtures changing today gives us a helping hand, but it will still be a bit tricky alright. But helped by the fact that they play Arsenal & Chelsea in the 7 days preceding our game. Both games are must win in my eyes, but one that is going under the radar is West Ham who are hitting a bit of form goal scoring wise and how the two teams set up actually suit West Ham too. That could be a very tricky one as it will be the 12.30 KO and the 3rd away game in 7 days also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,537 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can Palace continue to be a thorn in City's side, Palace home form good, last 6, 3 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss, of course City away form 5 wins, 1 draw. It's a tough place to go on a wet and windy Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement