Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very tired looking performance last night, think all the injuries have finally caught up with us. Felt Klopp got the team selection wrong, Tsimikas hasn't really been involved lately and Jones is only back from injury, so it was risky starting both, also taking Elliott off at half time was a strange decision as he was doing OK. Konate had an absolute mare, very poor for the second goal in particular. Kelleher also probably had his worst performance in a long time, I wonder is the fact Alison is close to fitness affecting him, probably knows he'll lose his place. Very hard to see us turn this tie around as can't see us keeping them scoreless.

The Crystal Palace game is massive now, obviously it's a must win, but, we also need to see a much improved performance as we haven't been great in the last month, despite getting results. Everyone can see we are not clinical enough, Nunez and Diaz are the main culprits, and Salah is totally out of form too, but, we are starting to concede soft goals too, which is worrying. Szobo has been poor since returning from injury, contributed nothing last night. Would have been great to have Jones, Jota, Trent and Alison back after the international break, as they would be up to speed now, as it is, it'll take them a few matches for them to get fully up to speed, by, which time our season might be over.

We've often had periods like this during Klopp's time, generally in January where the team just isn't performing and it generally takes a few weeks to turnaround, we can't afford that now, really need to see an upturn in performances or there's a danger of the season petering out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You could argue that was the second team. Most of the first team started on the bench last night. Look where that got us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

What in the name of went on last night was at a wedding and only got to see the result on my phone,could a result like that knock the confidence for the rest of season now and we slip away in the league,we must of been brutal or they are bit better than a lot of people thought as I said didn't get to see any of it so can't comment on who was bad or good,but going by the result not many were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's about time we were found out a bit.

The wake up call should've been the FA Cup game.

Then the Sheffield Utd game.

Then the Utd league game.

That result, if we're honest with ourselves, was coming.

Salah's not right. Konate's not right. Endo wasn't right. MacAllister is being flogged. Nunez is ludicrous. Gomez, a farce.

Palace has to now be a kick-start. That performance last night needs to hurt, and there has to be a response.

All context considered, that might have been the worst performance of Klopp's tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭JimboJones99

Its been coming. The legs are gone.

We cant keep going back to the well and having to dig deep in every game as we have been doing. It eventually catches up on you. Injuries have taken their toll. Its actually amazing and a credit to the players that we are in the position we are still in because we shouldnt be up there.

There have been very few games that we have been able to coast, every game seems to be a nail biter and I expect Sunday to be the same again. It is a massive game, if we win comfortably and easy, I might start believing again but right now I actually expect us to finish 6 or 7 points behind the league winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah to get through that January February march and still be in with a shout was outstanding considering injuries. Next 2 games are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭boosabum

Expect loads of dodgy var decisions to go our way next Thursday. Uefa need Liverpool in the final one way or another 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We need another 9-0 or 7-0 against Palace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I won't open my mouth about Konate if Quansah starts on Sunday at least!

Look, I've said it twice in this week but we are ahead of City. We've only been ahead of them with 7 games left once before and the league was already over by now.

We'd have prayed for this in the 2019 or 2022 run-ins. We're less equipped to win 7 on the bounce but out of all our remaining games Palace is probably the one I'd want up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Everyone was bad last night. Klopp has to take a lot of the blame for that shitshow. Particularly disappointed in Van Djik and Konate. £110 million of experienced centre backs and played like two puddings. Unbelievably bad.

At least with Nunez none of us are surprised he missed that guilt edge chance. He’s a level or two below top class. Only good thing was jota back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If last night was the Champs League I would be crying this morning.

Sunday is the priority. Three points this week is all that matters.

FAI/Croker etc will be in tears but the reality is there are neither enough Aviva seats or hotel rooms to cater for Liverpool FC in Dublin, for what is a 2nd tier competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I heard him compared to Emre Can really which is probably a better comparison. Gets in good positions but then just makes bad calls. Hopefully it's just what he pays like when he's in bad form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Being trying to rationalize last night and it's difficult to do.

It's the first time I've really seen us (in a really long time) fail to figure out how to handle an opposition. We really failed to cope or react to Atlanta and their man to man game, and the guys we'd expect to have composure to cope like Alexis, Szlob and Endo really failed in their roles last night. We ended up with them hiding under the opposition and Kelleher ha into resort to long hopeful balls up top.

Why did this happen? I suspect fatigue played some part, lack of preparation on the opposition by the backroom (not something is normally throw at them), and what looked like a complacent attitude. Attitude, complacency is not something we've seen from this set up really before, so it's really surprising to me.

Im normally positive on here, to a fault some may say, but we've really painted ourselves into a corner now. We have to react and really do a job on Palace on Sunday as the confidence of everyone will have taken a battering last night. It's one thing being leggy and running on empty a bit, but if a team is confident they can convince themselves thay can do anything - last night's pasting will put doubts in the players and fans mind that can be really damaging in the last 8 games.

One thing though we should have learned over the last 8 or years, never write this team off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If we beat Palace, I think the Europa League match could be used to get some time for the lads coming back from injury, can't see us turning around that tie, especially with how wasteful we are up front.

If we drop points against Palace, I think that the league is gone for us, so we will have to play first team in the second leg to try to turn it around, it'll probably be in vain, but, realistically there's a better chance of turning that tie around than winning the league if we've already dropped points against Palace on Sunday.

The Palace match is huge now, need to get back to winning ways, depending on whose available I'd go with the following on Sunday;

Kelleher

Bradley Quansah VVD Robertson

Elliott Endo Mac Allister

Salah Gapko Diaz

Bradley should give us some energy that was missing last night, with maybe Trent coming off the bench. Konate was awful last night, so would go with Quansan. In midfield we don't really have many options; Szoboszlai, Gravenberch have been very poor lately and Jones is obviously not up to speed yet, so would start Elliott to give us some energy there, maybe one of Clark or McConnell might get a run too, both Endo and Mac Allister ideally need a rest, but, we can't afford that. Up front the game is too soon to start Jota, Salah is in terrible form, but, still more likely to score than the others, Diaz and Nunez are both so wasteful, any of them really could be dropped, but, maybe Nunez might do more damage off the bench than Diaz when Palace are tiring.Jota also to come on for the last 20 Mins or so.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm not writing us off but there is a confluence of factors at just the wrong time that make it hard for me to see us turning a corner here. Only 7 games left, all of which are going to be high pressure games. Fatigue is a major factor. Biggest worry is so many players out of form at the same time: Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Dom, Konaté, Jones etc. 3 tricky away ties in a week, one of which is against our bitter rivals scrapping to avoid relegation. This should be a straightforward tie but, like the United game, we sometimes play the occasion at Goodison.

• Administrators Posts: 54,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If we don't get a win this weekend I could easily see us drop numerous points between now and the end of the season and end up finishing well short of City / Arsenal.

A strong win could get us back on the horse, failing to win could really put us in a real rut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes,failure to win on Sunday and our season is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Hhe forwards not being able to finish or create chances when in good positions is finally causing pressure.

Both Utd games should have been out of sight but Nunez and Diaz play the game at 100mph and we end up blowing g our chances. Need a Firmino upfront to calm them down as all these end up wasted.

Salah being beyond useless since coming back hasn't helped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭esker72

To be fair that result was coming for a long time. There's been no clean sheets lately and with misfiring forwards we've just been digging out results and you can't keep doing that. The main issue for me is not that the strikers are not scoring as they are all chipping in but there seems to be very little chemistry to them. That understanding that Mane, Firminho and Salah had was incredible but we're miles away from that. Diaz especially seems to be the master of head down and run for the nearest blind alley. Think that's also affecting the full backs going forward and how easily teams are breaking against us. It's a handy tactic to sit back and invite us on knowing that one of our forwards will cough up possession allowing the quick break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its when our forwards break I have no confidence Diaz or Nunez will make the right pass and they end of running into defenders. All that pace and we can't seem to make it count.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Gomez is a good lad and always gives his all but is just not good enough going forward, the amount he time and space he had on the ball in recent games and either squared it or lost it is very frustrating. If Trent had been in those positions we would have had much more joy going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I'd argue that we were not up to standard at the start of the season too but we somehow scraped some wins and gained some points. Despite our league position, our Centre Backs and MacAllister are the only players that have consistently been league winning standard. Salah was doing fine before the injury too. Similar with Jota. Endo had a slow start, played fantastic for a few months but his form has since dropped the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I am still not well after yesterday. I had an idea of Klopp's last game in Dublin with an European final to have an appropriate end to his time with us. The chance of actually going to the fan zone or the game just adds to the misery.

I think as people have said, injuries have caught up with us along with a tiredness and complacent attitude. I think starting Tsimikas, Elliott and Jones together showed complacency from the coaching staff that transmitted to the players and may be the fans too.

The annoying thing is the times we played even some basic quick football we created chances like the Nunez chance and the Salah offside goal. It was just so little.

Agreed Palace is a big game for us. I hope we start the game well and the players are not all waiting for someone else to do it. It's the business end of things now and players need to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think I’ll be judging Darwin at Christmas next season. He makes things happen, doesn’t always work for him, but if he improves by another little in the summer, we’ll have a very good player on our hands. Don’s form is worrying. And Endo looked like he was playing mud last night. But we can win all our remaining games. Nobody will give a fcuk about last night then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Have to wait to see what system the new manager will use and what players will suit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I can think of two other recent incidents for which he could be held culpable. The Manchester City goal at Anfield and the Fernandes one last week. That's four points lost which is not down to Kelleher entirely as you say but Allisson would have done better in those situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's all been very simple last few weeks: if you keep creating and missing good opportunities eventually you will get done. Confidence starts to drain from the entire team if players are looking up the pitch at another sitter squandered. In the end, this is losing football.

Salah isn't the only one - and I understand he was injured mid season and that's never easy - but he has been absolutely woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Fernandes goal was not on Kelleher, not in a million years. I've been critical of him as most, but this is just crazy talk.

Even last night.....defence cut wide open time and time again, forwards with time shooting from. 10 or 12 yards out, what would you expect? Magic?

Alli is a brilliant keeper, will probably come straight back in when he's fit, but he still concedes some goals. Kelleher has been very good for us recently, both in defence and attack. The problems last night were not down to him.

How could he be at fault for Fernandes goal? He's exactly where he's supposed to be, van dijk is telling quansah to pass it back to kelleher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

United one had nothing to do with Kelleher, he did poorly for 2 of the goals last night, but even then he would only be part of the problem for those 2 goals - but you still have to be honest and say he did poorly for those 2. It takes absolutely nothing from his brilliant run in this team that is still pushing for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

we will Sunday and I have a sneaking feeling we will batter atalanta in the second leg, last night could have been 7-3 to Liverpool, believe 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭IrishOwl...

Ah here, the Fernadez goal, I've heard it all now. He was miles outside the box as he's instructed to do in those situations. Not in a million years is he getting back into the box to save that.

I'm not coming in here to stick in the knife, I've 2 Liverpool supporting mad sons, so I see pretty much all their games and that result has been coming.

People talk about Liverpool not taking their chances, but they're guilty of giving up golden chances at the other end too and they finally came across a side composed enough to put them away.

I can see similar pain against Palace this weekend unless something drastic changes in the next few days. At the moment, you have zero strikers in any form and McAllister looks the only capable body in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

For me the problem with Darwin has always been mental i.e. decision making, discipline that kind of thing. I said it after he tried and scored that stupid dinky thing, against Brentford I think, that it was the wrong decision. Well he tried it again last night and now I hope people finally see what I meant. If he just does the thing that gives us the highest % chance of scoring we get a goal v Brentford but we also get a goal last night and take the lead. You should always try do whatever gives you the highest % chance of scoring, if that's a dink then dink it, like Danns goal v Chelsea, but if it's something else then do something else. (Even Ted Lasso knew you gotta play the extra pass there! 😄)

He basically has all the tools in his locker to be a top drawer striker, it's just whether or not he ever learns to hone them correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭Xander10

Zero strikers in form? I think most clubs would gladly swap in any of Salah, Darwin or Diaz, this weekend

They might do, but the point is true - none of them are in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Kone-Doherty playing ( and scoring) for Liverpool v United academy team.

Thought it may have been of interest to some if you ( in live on respective club channels)

Bajcetic just came on for the U21s. A welcome return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Danns should be in the senior squad Sunday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We nearly have our full squad back playing and we are rightly thinking it could be an idea to use a few kids.

We could do worse than getting 1 or 2 involved.

I never said they were bad players, just none of them are playing well at the moment. Particularly Salah and Nunez...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I honestly don't know what anyone sees in him as a full back, he's a centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Depends on how you're playing really… he can do a job at full back though, decent on the ball, and very fast. He's definitely a better CB, but can play RB in a pinch. I've really liked him this season in that inverted LB spot though, seems to suit a lot of his attributes - he gets a bit too focused on driving up the line when he plays on the right, he's just running and running, with an opposition player inside him pinning him wide, and he kinda can't get himself out of danger so he eventually just ends up lumping the ball inside a bit aimlessly. Whereas on the left, when he goes forward he can come inside into the space earlier and be a bit more effective.

All in all though, generally speaking, if Gomez has a good season, Liverpool have a good season. Because he's so much of a swiss-army-knife, when the inevitable injuries strike key areas, if he's in decent form he can plug holes right across the pitch pretty effectively in a way that not many players can manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry City fan, always try to keep an eye on how he's doing, and wondering about what could have been.

Would have been nice to see him play a season or two for us before he left.

Advertisement