Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Mate, you were in last week speaking nonsense about Kelleher being at fault for the Fernandes goal. Everybody disagreed with you. Yet here you are again spewing the same rubbish. Bait perhaps? Troll? Mods check this guy out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The guy is correct. They are badly out of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

so another weekend in the title race while I expect us to crawl over the line against palace , not getting anything from city today , there is still a slight chance very slight that arsenal could drop points against villa if it was to happen and we came out of weekend with points advantage well then the trip to Italy has much less importance in what team they play . We have to have some hope as the sands of time disappear on season this will be one of the few remaining ones left but for #%^ sake let’s make at least sure we got our 3 points .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Will be happy to maintain the status quo, anything else would be a massive bonus. Just hoping we get the 3 points, think it'll be another slog, not expecting the others to slip up this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He's resurrected his Liverpool career somewhat this season with some solid displays but he just scares me regularly.

He gives poor passes, has poor awareness and can be extremely half hearted in the tackle (conversely he has a tendency to commit himself and let players skip past him).

Were gonna need at least one new CB this summer but probably more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Gomez seems a good lad, honest player, has limitations but has a lot to offer. Agree with the above, he's done better at LB than RB, but is primarily a CB. He's a brilliant squad player, but ultimately if everyone is fit and going well he's on the bench. 100% Trent AND Robbo start at fullback, even Bradley has passed him, and Virgil and Ibra are better CBs, woth Quansah closing fast on him.

A good squad player, and it's a sign of the strain the squad has been under that he's got so many minutes this season, since Xmas especially.

Just win tomorrow, get back in the horse, no point worrying about City, Arsenal or goal difference. Just get the 3 points and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And he's our longest serving player and still only 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭steve_r

Gomez has limitations but the guy has heart and I feel he has made a huge contribution to getting the team where they are this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Augme

Gomez is the least of our problems. It's a miracle this team are 2nd in the league at this stage given the players we have. Even if we finish third that will be a very solid outcome all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭steve_r

It's been a bruising few weeks with poor performances and lately poor results. I feel we are in the eye of the storm a little bit, people are looking for a narrative that the legs are gone, injuries are catching up on us, misfiring strikers. And that could all be true, but I do think it is a little early to pass judgment on it just yet.

If we drop points against Palace, people will write the season off, and that probably will be correct.

However we could see a bounceback, and the likes of Trent, Jota, and Alison being back could be the very boost the team needs. The narrative would change then quite quickly, especially if the others drop points.

Personally, I'm not hugely optimistic of a bounceback as really the FA cup game was the one they needed to react to, and there hasn't really been a reaction to that.

Defensively I think they need to tighten up considerably - a clean sheet and a win tomorrow are badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He will get better development under the Liverpool set up than with Higgins negative football

Performances aside out bad or at least disappointing results since Xmas have been:

3-1 Arsenal (a)

1-1 Man City (h)

4-3 Man Utd (a) FA Cup

2-2 Man Utd (a)

0-3 Atalanta (h) EL

Not the worst of course. Probably lucky not to have a few more in there

I wonder do SOS regret organising a ticket price protest and subsequent banning of flags and banners on an important European night.

Anfield is famous for European atmospheres. Here's a good idea, let's weaken our atmosphere.

Doesn't surprise me with that lot. It seems to be run by a strange bunch whose think they speak for all fans. They don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A bit of revisionism going on with Gomez again. He was one of the most important players in the team in December/January/February time with all those games coming thick and fast. He played nearly all of them too.

I do agree that he has looked better at LB than RB though, partly because of who we are used to seeing play at RB. Still a valuable member of the squad IMO and should stay at the club for years yet.

If Liverpool move to a back 3 next season, he could become vital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea agreed it's extremely reactive, a guy who is probably having his best year since joining the club or at least equal best, has played generally near the top of his game. He was poor this week against Atalanta, bar that he's barely put a foot wrong. I think he should have started at LB in both of the last games, and we've looked stronger with him there than not.

I think that's aimed at me!

So look, he'd had a nightmare last season imo. Napoli away as a particularly bad example (that was last season wasn't it?).

He has been lauded on here during the period you mention, for me he was doing well but maybe not miles above what I'd expect of a seasoned pro. It was more the improvement from a low base. I don't want to take it away from him.

We can disagree fine, and I don't want to stick the boot in because he has disimproved recently (as many have) but he has a number of frustrating moments in games even when having one of his better performances.

CB might be his better position but I dunno if I can ever countenance Trent and himself in the same team!

Gomez is fine, but someone please tell him to stop shooting from long range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Would love to think that Spurs would turn up at Anfield. Probably not, though.

Your stance seems a peculiar one.

Atmosphere is famous for European atmospheres due to the regular match going fans. I don't knownwhy anyone would take issue with a supporters club sticking up for them.

Randomers on the internet who rarely attend games certainly don't speak for all fans either.

If the regular match going fans, who pay for tickets and who spent their time and effort designing banners, bringing them to games and displaying them, feel what they did on thrusday was the most appropriate action to take then I fully support them. They are in a far better position to decide that they people who rarely, if ever, attend matches.

I go plenty so don't assume you know everything. So they don't represent all match going fans.

SOS are an arrogant lot. Run by people who aren't the sharpest tools in the box.

• Advertisement

The other side of this is that if Liverpool had won the other night - as we should have based on our respective squads, not on the performance - there wouldn't have been much said about the protests. As a fanbase we often scurry to find reasons that contribute to a defeat and this is one of those cases.

Perhaps, but SOS were getting some flak on social media for organising it before Thursday.

Look, protests are fully legit, but why even risk damaging the atmosphere. There's a time and a place. The anti FSG flags were embarrassing too.

They should be careful what they wish for. There's way worse owners out there.

Agreed on the anti-FSG stuff. Fully support the right to protest the other night though - don't think too many match going fans would have been overly critical. Shouldn't have been an issue really - just do your job on the pitch.

The lads on the pitch were a mess. No doubt about it.

No, not aimed at you at all, but the whole Liverpool online comments the last few days in general tbh.

And yeah his last few games haven't been as great as the months previous but that's fine (in general, players can't be in top form forever!) but also not fine because of the timing of it, title race etc.

Overall, I'll say the same thing I said last summer. Find me someone to replace him with, who meets all the criteria that he does, and then we can discuss letting him go. A player that is young, experienced, comfortable at RB/CB/LB, content with squad position and/or better than we currently have. And homegrown. Not many players out there like that. Of course some of them are now negotiable because of the breakout of Bradley & Quansah but with Matip leaving it is somewhat counter balanced.

Well I think that's very fair overall.

The only thing I'd add is with Matip likely gone and Konate as injury prone as he is, I wouldn't like Joe's presence to distract too much from the need to get 1 or 2 CBs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Klopp mentioned it before, if we are all pulling together then Liverpool are at its best. When they decided to protest, whether a good cause or not, meant there was lost atmosphere. People were questioning whether they should do it before the match as the flags add so much to the Anfield factor.

If you are going to say it did nothing to affect the players, why have them at any match? We cannot say it adds to the match atmosphere only when it suits and unfortunately the team lost and played badly. Much like the £77 protest, you cannot deny those that walked out that day cost the team as there was a visible deflation in the crowd that fed through to the players that day as well. It didn't cost us too much that day other than the 2 points but it was evident then that the crowd has a big influence on what happens on the pitch.

It's just a shame they chose possibly Klopp's last home match in Europe. There was always the chance it would happen on such an important match, unless they thought we were going to win easily and it would not matter.

I dunno if they were guilty of underestimating them but I definitely was.

I didn't think we would end the tie in the first leg but was certainly discussing the possibility.

I dunno how many of us really thought the protest would be a big issue on atmosphere (performance?) before hand.

Solanke scores to go level with Mo on 17 league goals.

Im delighted for him but I never thought he'd be level with our own top scorer at any stage of his career when we let him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,545 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Worse case, Both Arsenal and Liverpool draw, and City have it in their hands😖

Whoever the bright spark that decided to to do it in a Europeans quarter final should be banned from the ground for being so thick. You couldnt make it up.

BTW, it's the day trippers that add the most atmosphere imo. But that's a seperate discussion!

I think everyone in the club had the wrong mindset for that match. The players seemed deflated, the crowd was not on it, whether it was the protest or not. We did it to ourselves and it was not a great display from anyone really.

The problem SOS and those that protested had, it is difficult to state with certainty that they did not have a negative impact and when you lose that falls on them.

Oof, that second part is so wrong. Most of them - and it's fair enough if it's your first time - sit watching the game through their phone and don't know most of the songs. Not judging at all but no way do day trippers add to the atmosphere.

Every home game from on here out is essential though.

The whole point of the protest is to highlight the importance of fans and the atmosphere they create. Given the cost of going to games football need to factor that in with their pricing.

• Advertisement

Ah now, I'm not talking about the person that might go to a game very seldom and not know songs etc

I meant the people that go to a huge chunk of games and are regulars. How much are they spending btw? Never mind the £1 extra per ticket rise it whatever it is the club are implementing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I travel over a lot with various groups from around Ireland and def do add to the atmosphere, certainly don't sit there on our phones.

I wouldn't define you as a day tripper really. I'm the same myself - head over when I can get a ticket. Always join in with the songs because you can't complain about the atmosphere if you're sitting there in silence.

• Advertisement

It's officially a rot, if we don't win tomorrow. We need to make a statement.

There is no winner with this discussion. I can highlight 5 good points and someone can counter with 5 points that are just as valid. I think we can all agree the cost of football is too much for fans. I am not arguing that it is not expensive and unfair on those that cannot afford it who want to watch their team, this is obvious. I also don't see an easy way to solve it as the genie is out the bottle and it will not go back. PSG fecked it all by paying £200m for Neymar and paying Mbappe a reported £1.2m a week. Barcelona did the same by paying Messi not much less when they couldn't afford it as it raised the floor for all other players salaries.

We are where we are, all I know is fans in Ireland had a chance to see Liverpool in a competitive match and it has been blown. In my own selfish way I am absolutely furious that other fans may have contributed to this.

Carvalho is banging them in at Hull, while we can't put the ball in the net.

People will say we've gone full circle, Doubters To Believers And Back To Doubters . And if everything goes pair shaped, as it has of late, out of FA Cup, looking like we're heading out of Europa League, and maybe we'll top it off tomorrow with a loss or draw, people will use the timing of Klopps announcement as the reason. That this added pressure to send him off on a win, was the extra pressure that resulted in us blowing it all.

I thought this part was telling, ''no denying it, yea''

😪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

We've been cursed since Klopp and his "I collect relationships, not trophies" nonsense.

There should be a media black out apart from the basics

We need a lucky manger

"I know he's a good general, but is he lucky?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Maybe not , but WE are

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,264 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mateta 1-0 Palace 9 minutes in.

Doing things the hard way since 1992

• Advertisement