Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No toll, just 150 chances in last few games and took 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Season collapses in two games. One trophy when the season promised so much is depressing. Today and last week against United were must wins and we got 1 point from 6. 3 Away games coming up no chance we get maximum points from those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Salah was excellent up to his injury. You're letting his recent form rewrite his season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They gave us some wonderful hope this season.

But the last week has been a bottle job. We've been wrongly accused of bottling it in the past, but the last week has been the definition of bottling big moments.

Under pressure, they simply could not execute. Against Utd and Palace in particular. Against Atalanta, they were outplayed, so it's hard to judge their bottle. But in the two Prem games this week, players have simply failed to do basic things in the big moments. Open goal misses. No composure in the penalty area. No conviction with final passes or shots.

It's the definition of bottling. And it hurts to say it like that, but you can't shy away from it.

Feels like Gods are against us, and for the Cheating Champions, which really is annoying . Looking like another title for City while they have 115 charges against them, and each charge could be a 10pt deduction,, 1150 pt deduction, and they're allowed to win title after title, it's not right, PL is a joke. They should have a 10pt deduction for next 115 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

If we had at least gotten a draw, useless, how many passes do we over hit or play it behind or in front of the player, as someone said 4 shots from 6 yards out and not to score is criminal and Jones has to at least get his shot on target

The Gakpo and Elliott decisions were mind-boggling.

Gakpo was our best player when he came on today, as well as on Thursday. Most rightly wanted him to start today, yet it was Nunez, who had the composure of a toddler in a field of manure.

Elliott only getting 10 minutes with how well he's played as sub this season is criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That big mad run from December to March, and it was mad, has taken its toll on the players.

They look shot now, mentally and physically. We were told the Calvary would come back and help us in the title charge but the reality is when you have so many players to come back from medium term injuries they are out of rhythm and need to time to get up to the pace of it again. Momentum has been lost. And now the hope is lost. A win today would have put us on top. The players didn't look like they were able to run in the first half. Couldn't pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

When jones was through 1 on 1 , it’s reminded me of the Diaz chance against City when through on goal. Zero composure at critical times when the Stakes couldn’t be higher.

Isak showed yesterday that you don’t need a lot of chances to score, just composure and poise at key times.

Biggest concern at this stage when we get into these spells under Klopp it’s never 1-2 games. Every single game now up for grabs for any team we playing against. 4 conceded and zero in 2 at home is mind boggling - Really beginning to show our manager is leaving end of season .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Am in the middle of work so saw nothing , I have 3 questions though about this disaster , I know huge question marks over how good some of these players were when the going got tough in last few weeks anyway

1, what was going on training and fitness wise at end of season to make them look so lethargic and below par .

2, klopp said a few months ago that he feels he’s not doing the job to the highest standard as usual .

3. Was that mad scramble last season to play Thursday night football worth it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yes a physical and mental toll which has resulted in recent poor performances. No surprise you're unable to understand it as you spend your time in a fantasy world.

In fairness to Jones it looked like the ball bobbled a bit when he was striking it. He shouldn't have been on the field as long as he was today though because he's clearly not up to speed yet and Elliot should have been in there instead from the start.

He doesn't deserve more. His legacy is just about right.

Despite limited resources compared to his greatest rivals, he's managed to win every major trophy, after starting his tenure with a largely broken team and system.

A trophy won and title race falling short to a cheating club, and an elite club that has invested £600m in a couple of years is pretty appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

i've been wondering about passing the ball behind the receivers… has to be by design (maybe waiting to get players up to support the ball receiver), it's been going on for years…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That was a game that was crying out for Elliott and Gakpo to start and to be replaced by Jones and Nunez.

Klopp can make some questionable calls at times, but what would I know anyway.

Cant be blaming Klopp…. how many games now have we racked up 20+ chances in a game and cant finish them….Players need to have more composure… hopefully the new manager gets two forwards in..missing some pace up front in that team..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In a way it doesn't really matter if it was today, or any other match. Liverpool were always going to drop points, and City won't. It's a bit painful today, but it's just the reality. Liverpool losing at home to Palace is kind of a reminder of what "normal" football was before City came along with their financial doping. Title winning teams could afford to drop points with 6 matches left to play. The odd mad result was part of the game. That's not how it is for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

All of our shots on target from inside the box, they're the exact positions you want for scoring opportunities (3 inside the 6 yard box, 6 from the penalty spot), and its not like it was one player missing everything either, the whole team had chances! Hard to comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

it’s a fcuking bummer of a result . I have no interest to following results for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Any chance we can bring back Gini and Origi for Thursday to save our season?

I think, by the way, that the title is done, a serious conversation can be had about Darwin Nunez.

Too selfish and not clinical to be what we want him to be.

Are we missing pace? I'd say we actually don't get to see the pace most of the time because of the way we play. When we break on teams they are plenty fast to get away from defenders.

need to speak about Nunez, Salah and Diaz… dont think they play well together in general

Salah will be gone in the summer. I'd be fairly sure of it. He passed his peak over the course of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Any chance the bottle job posters could club together and buy a thesaurus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think equilibrium is coming into play here. I never fully believed we were good enough to win the title as we're somewhat of the levels of Arsenal and even further behind City.

We had a great run earlier in the season and got results while either playing poorly,or getting a run of luck. Newcastle, Fulham and Palace away springs to mind. We then hit a great stride from late December to early Feb where we played great stuff and destroyed most teams.

March was back to the form of earlier in the year, playing poorly again but we scraped results. That has continued into Arpil, but this time we're not getting those breaks, takings those chances and by playing poorly we getting what we deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You'll read a lot about missed chances and whatnot over the next few weeks regarding our season as a whole, but to be honest, that's the least of our worries. Forget converting % and xG, misfiring strikers and all that, what the absolute hell is going on with constantly and consistently conceding the first goal? 23 times in all competitions. And this is an issue that dates back to the start of last season/end of the previous.

Still not fixed it and it hampers any gameplan the team/manager will have had, just thrown it right out the window. Just not good enough at both ends of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Blaming Klopp ? My post is clearly directed at the players . As I said already in my post , the lack of composure and poise at such important times is not good enough from likes of Jones, Diaz and Nunez.

The fact we have times had these spells under Klopp but it’s seems to take them considerable spells for the players to snap out of it doesn’t bode well when only 6 games left .

As you said the chances been missed are diabolical (Xg of +5 in last 2 games) and we’ve not scored 1. There is pace in that front line but nothing to run on to as the strikers normally receiving the ball with back to goal and man marked. What Klopp needs to do is find a way to change things up now and unleash these pent of chances vs Atalanta on Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Answer to 3. It only looks pointless now that we're on the verge of going out of the competition. One week ago I was excited about the possibility of Liverpool playing a final of a massive European cup in Dublin.

Now that Edwards is back I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved on and using the funds to reinvest in the squad. Either that or VVD but we're shorter in CBs so I'd say Salah is more likely.

It also depends on what the new manager wants. Will they play with a 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-3 or 5-3-1 with flying wing backs or 3-4-2-1 or what?

I don't think Nunez, Jota or Gakpo are going anywhere. Diaz leaving wouldn't be a shock after the last few weeks with the comments from his agents.

i'm not seeing the pace in tight spaces… yup..why cant we do some one two's around the box and slide our pacy players in…

Feck me that was close by Watkins

Cant stand Martinez but that was some save

I think departures will be minimal for the under 30s this summer. I don't think it's smart to spend money to replace the squad before a new manager sees what he can do with them.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Unless the player asks to leave I'd expect most to stay put bar those with expiring contracts.

It'll be interesting to see what the new manager actually does with the squad now and what they'll focus on, keep us tight, dominate through possession or try blow teams away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbf because we keep missing our own chances, the liklihood is that the opposition will score first. In a lot of those matches I can guarantee that we had already butchered at least one great chance to take the lead, before the opposition scored. In general goals dictate how matches play out, the more we miss the more pressure that's on the next chance, eventually, it does sap the confidence of the rest of the team. Also anxiety and frustration begins to build in the team, plus, due to our high line, when we do give up chances they tend to be very scoreable chances, where we are relying on our keepers to save a higher than normal amount of one on ones.

Regarding today's result, I didn't see the match, but, was surprised to see Konate, Jones and Nunez start, especially with how they played on Thursday, felt Elliott and Gapko should have started.

We are in a rut at the moment, and going on Klopp's time with us, that normally can last for around 8 to 10 games, we are about 4 or 5 games in this rut, so I reckon it'll be another 3 or 4 games before this rut is over. The season is done now anyway, I felt the league was gone after the United match last week, and unfortunately we are in a massive hole against Atalanta. It's a pity for Klopp that it looks like the season will end in a wimper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Apparently Keita heard he wasn't in the Bremen starting line up so decided to go home! Some things never change.

202% Possession of 300%

26 Corners

68 Attempts on Goal

2 Goals

Last 3 games

Nothing wrong with the stats, we just can't score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

The chances conceded today was pretty bad. Palace should have had more. Nit sure the xg conceded today but it wasn't similar to united surely

3 something to 2 something today. Apparently we created the better chances overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This - I've been saying it for ages.

It just puts too much pressure on everyone, constantly chasing and instills anxiety in the forwards and in the crowd. I'd put it down to a lack of preparation and concentration, looking from the outside, but either way it's going on long enough now that it should be identified and addressed by the leadership of the team (manager, coaches and senior players).

It's a big black mark on the side IMHO.

Omg Tillemans went even closer than Watkins.

It's not our year

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Really didn’t think we’d follow up the Thursday night pumping with another loss at Anfield. I know we had so many chances today, and we have to score them. But we’re so bad defensively. Giving up so many chances. Konate and Van Dijk appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whilst I’ll be accused of throwing the baby out with the batch water here I’d have a look at Danns again Thursday with a view to next weekend, his goals against Southampton were pure striker finishers on instinct. Nunez can’t keep going on like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

villa just scored , it’s the hope that kills ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Its the hope that kills ya

Arsenal looking like dropping points obviously.

What will be lost on everyone in the midst of this is that perfection in the run-in wasn't needed before City. A mad result or 2 was allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement