Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

A month ago we wouldn’t have said was it worth going long in the fa cup and most importantly the europa cup but hindsight is great and maybe that great effort to secure Thursday night football wasn’t worth it in the end for derailing season . The kids from fame won us the league cup , we will never know I guess but please please gotta try something different in coming games it’s just not working . 360 mins since we last scored a goal from open play .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Lads this team seriously overachieved this season which made some people falsley think we are a good team.

This team have gone behind 21 times this season and have 1 win against top 6 teams.

This is not a good liverpool team,infact it's very ordinary and we are now seeing the real liverpool.

Jones,nunez,Diaz,gakpo,slobz and now mo sadly,are not good enough for any side who want to be winning top honors.

Klopp knows this and called it a day because I think he knows the job to rebuild this team won't be easy and will take another 2 or 3 years if we are lucky and he just could commit to that I don't think

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Baseball72

I’m not a Liverpool fan per se , my son, and many friends are, fully agree with you, a lot of departures in the summer.

Watching tonight’s game, certainly in the 2nd half, the team seem to be sleep walking to seasons end, and yet, it’s not over yet. City could drop 2 points, so you have to keep going for one final dance so to speak - it’s still possible to come out on top….

How Curtis Jones played 82 mins last Thursday and 90 plus tonight - it’s beyond me. The new manager will have 5-6 key first team players to build around, plus 3-4 youngsters coming through, before bringing in new blood. I agree with you, that Kloop sees a rebuilding job of 2-3 year duration ahead and perhaps just couldn’t go again.

A great guy, and manager, but you can’t keep going at todays pace of football, AND compete against nation states……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Such a depressing second half. Nunez and Jota were really poor after they came on… Jota especially, he's nowhere near up to the pace of things yet. We should keep that in mind for the weekend - if we're looking for something off the bench, I'd be looking at Danns coming on over either of them right now.

Even worse though is just how we played in that last half hour especially, no bite, no pace, no energy, no spirit, no anything… just passing it endlessly around our own half. I half wonder was there an order on 70 mins to just give it up and conserve energy for the weekend or something?

Gakpo about the sole positive thing, had another good game. Which made it all the more baffling that, while having Nunez and Jota up front at absolutely nothing, Gakpo was stuck at full back. The only forward who could hold the ball and find a man, and we dumped him as far away from goal as possible… weird one.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm trying to gather my thoughts after this game. Read the last couple of pages and i guess it's very negative. I do think we have over achieved. But it's not as bad as some are saying. We have started building for the future. We nearly won the league, but stumbled at the last fence, and **** me city built that fence high. But as quick as we fall we can rise again. Football turns around fast. And we have nothing to be ashamed of. Cheating fuckers are hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's not a case of the players not being good enough. Klopp's style of play is heavily dependent on high energy levels, that's sustainable with a limited number of players for a short period of time. The period of games where patchwork teams were fielded due to the injuries has taken its toll.

We have a team that is in transition, we have no right to expect them to be challenging for the top trophies but the players have given their hearts for Klopp and that is the reason why Liverpool was in the conversation for each of the competitions up until the past few weeks.

Now is when we will see the character of these players in the squad. Will the emotion and the pressure of delivering for Klopp in his final games as manager prove too much or will they rally together.

Whatever happens it has been an enjoyable journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Look at the lads saying there needs to be a clear out. You'll notice that when things are going well you will barely see a post from them but as soon as there's a few bad results then they're regular posters again.

I'm sure a few lads will move on but it won't be many outside the players who are out of contract and it'll probably heavily depend on what the next manager wants.

I've said it before but I could see one of Salah and VVD going to free up funds and because they won't want two of the older highest earners renewing unless they agree to lower contracts. If I'd to chose I'd say it'd be Salah.

I could also see one of Robertson and Tsimksas leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Anyone else looking forward to CL next season?

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Last few weeks have been shite. But the team has still overperformed vs pre-season expectations. Most of us would have gladly accepted no trophy and CL qualification. The same gaps/issues in the squad remain as in preseason.

• Consistent finishers - can't trust Diaz or Nunez to finish - I'd sell both if decent offers were to come in. Can't trust Jota to stay fit. Who knows what will happen with Salah? I guess you'd want to keep him if making other significant changes to the front line.
    • A top-class CDM addition is still needed
    • A new lb is needed. Sad to see Robbo getting burned for pace recently. Tsimikas isn't up to it so need to sign a starter imo.
    • Trent can't/won't defend so what to do with him?
    • CB cover

Plenty of headaches there for Richard Hughes and the new manager to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Theres no money in VVD. The money is in Nunez, Diaz and Trent.

I agree, there wont be massive changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's not so much the fee but the saving on wages as well. And someone would definitely pay €40m for VVD.

Adrian, Matip and Thiago will certainly be leaving but beyond that it's only guess work at present. The recruitment team will have a suggested shopping list but the new manager will be consulted before any offers are made. If they want the opportunity to work with Klopp's squad we might see minimal changes to the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭JimboJones99

Can anyone tell me what Klopp see in Curtis Jones? The only thing that I can see that he offers the team is home grown status.

A few goals towards the end of last season has masked the fact that he offers nothing. He doesnt tackle, he doesnt win the ball back, he takes 7 touches where only one is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We haven't secured top four yet 🤣

On a more serious note, it is great to have qualified for it with relative ease, that's what most of us were hoping for at the start of the season. The ride has been amazing, but this landing hurts

And as for the CL itself, I really hate the new format. I hope I'm wrong, but I just thing the extended group phase is going to be a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jack747

Just a personal preference I suppose. If you actually gave me the choice between a League Cup or a Europa win in Dublin , I'd choose the League cup all day, I know I'm probably in the minority in this so each to their own I suppose. I also feel if Klopps last game was a Europa win, it would be met with sneering/abuse from the wider 'Football community' anyway so again, its not the worst defeat in the world and our season shouldn't be defined by it or now considered 'over' which was been spouted last night in this thread.

As I said before, as soon as we managed to get past that mad injury crisis during Feb, it has always been the league for me. I'd also disagree with you there, if we do win the next 2 league games, I do think it will be all sunshine again as we would have gotten 6 points in 2 extremely tough fixtures for a team as you say struggling with the state of our performances.

Hopefully we get a win on Sunday and take it from there, would be an absolutely massive win against a strong Fulham team. I actually cant wait for it, if you told me we would be 2 points off city with 6 to go in Early August, I'd have taken your hand off for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I felt the same, however until the last week or so it's been a very boring tournament this year. Fresh ideas could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Definitely in the minority!

Also as much as pains me to say, we will be lucky to get 2 point from the next 2 fixtures. The team is spent and running on fumes, you can see it in the players body language. No energy, no fight and unfortunately its all happening at the wrong end of the season. Opposing teams know this to, so like last weekend, I except Fulham to hound us into the ground on Sunday.

He was excellent for most of this season until he got injured. Really stepped up a level. Was far more composed, made decisions much quicker, and was more combative. He's not back from injury long, so it's not too surprising he's not back up to full pace again yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Going to look for some positives, we won against a stubborn team last night. We should have made it 2-0 as that Salah miss was a killer. Being only one mistake from drawing level would have made Atalanta more nervous and possibly made it easier for us, but going in at haltime only at 1-0 and them just slowing the match with fouls and delays killed us. I was just as frustrated with the passing between the back 4 but they plugged the spaces. They played like a team with a 2 goal lead in the tie and made it difficult for us.

We have to sometimes take a look back at what we have dealt with this season. We have had injuries in all 4 areas of our team. Alison, Konate, TAA, Robertson and Tsimikas at the same time. A new midfield and season long injuries so far for Bajetic, Thiago, long term injuries to Jones and injuries to Szoboslai as well. In the forwards we have had Jota and Gakpo out with long injuries, Salah with an injury and going to the AFCON.

Basically we have had to bed in a new midfield, dealt with injuries in all areas at the same time and our manager announced he was leaving at the end of the season. That we are still dreaming of a league title is amazing. I hope the players are able to get over the disappointment of not progressing and keep up the performance for the rest of the season.

There is still a tough week ahead, I am hoping for some luck to get us through it, if we do we will dream again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

When you are happy with The Caroba Cup, you are setting the bar very low.

However, it was great a great experience for the young players in the squad

• Advertisement

Fulham's form has been all over the place recently, it's hard to know what team will show up for them. If we can field a team with energy in midfield then I would be confident of taking at least a point from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

watching that second half last night you’d be forgiven for thinking it was the first leg looked like Liverpool settled for 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭klose

Jones was very good till his injury, definitely not at it since his return but that’s exacerbated cause the whole team is gone to sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Thats exactly my thinking too.

We needed 2 more goals and all they wanted to do was pass it back to Alisson. I genuinely do not understand the match last night.

Atlanta played a man to man marking system. The way you counter that is movement with quick interchanges, players drop deep to receive the ball, players move into the spaces created for passing options, everything has to be done accurately and quickly.

The reason we spent so much time passing around our back four, was simply there's no movement from the forwards. Its very difficult to transition the ball from the back line as everyone is tightly marked in this system. So every pass from the back becomes a 50/50 without movement creating the passing lanes.

Gakpo to be fair did he best in the first half to come and show, but he was let down the either the quality of ball to him, or the lack of energy from the midfield to move into the passing lane he just created.

The big problem though facing us is teams smell blood, exactly like they did last year. So regardless of who you're playing and what type of form they're in, that gives them encouragement.

Look at the Sheffield UTD game for example, scored and missed 2 guilt edge chances, and this is a team who's going to go down as one of the worst in EPL history.

The only way to overcome teams like Fulham when they come to face us with such belief, is pin them back, over run them and let them know that they're in for a long afternoon. I just don't see that performance in us currently.

It was weird though, cause when we did occasionally lump it long we tended to have a bit of luck getting onto second balls, and got possession in much more dangerous areas than we were getting with the infinite passing round the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Naglesmann has extended his contract with Germany to go through the WC in 2026. I think Jurgen was looking to do that!!! Be great if he found himself at a loose end and stayed for another year!!!! I know it won’t happen but I’m just wondering what, if anything, Klopp will do.

I've no doubt that Fulham will come at us if we are not ready for them, but if we have the energy to deal with them in midfield they will be contained.

Last weekend, they caught West Ham who were tired and leggy after their away trip to Leverkusen on Thursday and we need to avoid the same issue. West Ham had the chances to be 2-0 before Fulham caught them with high speed counter attacks.

The previous week they were neutralised by Newcastle (0-1) and were soundly beaten by Nottingham Forest (3-1).

They need us to be passive in order to allow them to take the initiative in the game and that's not their strength. If we pile forward as we did against Man Utd then they will pick us off and it will be up to our keeper to keep us in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

I think the man utd games really derailed our season, the fa Cup game in particular seems to have drained the teams confidence

Agreed, but unfortunately I don't see anything other than another lethargic passive performance from us. Like the last few weeks have not just been underwhelming, they have been bleak beyond comprehension.

Looking at the players body language the other night, the looked tired, frustrated, lacking confidence, energy and and kind of assurance. I really don't see how that gets turned around come Sunday.

Even Klopp looks fed up with it all on the line and its just waiting for the season to draw to its conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think Klopp is mentally done at this stage. His whole body language on the sideline last night was terrible to see. He needs a rest and another season of pressure at Liverpool won’t do him any good.

I just hope the team can lift it for the last 6 games, but at best it’ll be another second place to City I’d say. Worrying performances since Paddy’s Day, it’s like someone popped the optimism ballon and now it’s a weight around their necks!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭esker72

One of the problems with all the injuries has been when they are put back into the team they are not up to speed. Last night you could argue that Trent, Salah, Soboslai, Jones, Jota and even Robertson still don't look like they are 100% and can't go at the pace that Klopp needs them to and certainly not for 90 minutes twice a week. The whole team looked leggy last night and have done for a few weeks. Klopp's style works brilliantly but requires so much of the players and if a few are not at it it falls apart. It was almost working better when we had the kids in there when all the injuries were mounting up.

I also think the timing of Klopp's announcement provided a bit of a rally but that only lasts so long. Maybe he could have held off another 6 or 8 weeks and that rally might have seen us through to the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The energy looks absolutely sucked out of him the last month, looks like he's aged.

• Advertisement

The players look fucked too.

When you know the manager won't be there next season, there's always the risk some players may slack off.

I do wonder if that's the issue with some of them. No doubt a lot of our players signed for Klopp, because he is Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think we're all mentally done at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It was said that they had to announce it at the time as the heard it was going to be leaked so they wanted to control the information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Tbh whether it caused them to play worse or not I think the players deserved to know Klopp's decision as soon as he had made it, seems unfair to keep them in the dark when it's a decision that affects all of their futures as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,189 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The team actually needed that left lift at the time too, as with all the injuries at the time the season threatened to detail it completely.

You could say that the announcement timing helped to win the league cup with the boost the players had at the time.

The boost brought the players through January February March but it was one fight too many by the time April came around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Trent made a big difference last night, still loads to play for even if we are running on fumes, it is only 6 games; at the start of the season everyone would have said there was no chance we would be in this position; we play twice before City play again, we can beat Fulham & Everton…….lots to play for and lots of positives in Quansah & Bradley breaking through this year, we have several players with large sale valuations so we need a stellar summer from Edwards & we are challenging next year again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Agree with all that bar potentially challenging next year, new manager in so there's sure to be bumps along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nothing wrong with this team, but for the lack of goals in last 4 games only. We've been fine up to then.

Suarez off the bench would have put a way a lot of our good chances of late

He still has the knack of putting the ball in the net

Since leave Barca Suarez has 80 goals in 122 appearances, scoring every 150 minutes, not bad for a guy who left Barca for 5m.

We'd have won another title had we got him from Barca.

It's probably what's missing from this Liverpool side, some age and experience.

Knew this talk would start if wheels came off.

I thought Trent was brilliant in the first half last night, on the ball making things happen. We looked absolutely clueless when he tired out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’d say Keys and Andy Gray are the two biggest **** of pundits! Can’t stand either of them.
    But he’s not wrong!

He is wrong. The announcement was 3 months ago, we're gone off the boil a few weeks.

Oh here we go with the non-stop Suarez & Barca posts again. 🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement