Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Arsenal playing a different sport than Liverpool atm

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Ive been seeing comments like this or saying Arsenal will drop points every week but Arsenal keep dispatching teams and clocking up points . They are a much more complete team than last season while City have dropped just a subtle level conceding more than usual and not firing all cylinders like previous seasons. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brighton take the lead Thursday and City playing for lives to win it .

I’d rather City win the league than lose to Arsenal on GD which a real possibility if City drop points which I think they will. The bigger question is can we win our 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The problem is they can win every game and still lose the league. It all hinges on City dropping points. Could see both sides winning every game, and Arsenal finding themselves in that same situation we have in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

would the people saying city drop points say the same for arsenal cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Arsenal will feel the heat. Spurs and/or United will hold them.

We have to make sure we are there to capitalise.

City will win it, even not playing well. I think they will draw with Spurs, and we slip up away to Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

But are only 3 points ahead with a game extra played.

There's no need to be so extremely negative when it's possible that it's only goal difference separating the teams tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GD is an extra point at this stage Arsenal are 13 ahead

Do you think Arsenal will win all 4 games that they have remaining? If the answer is no, then goal difference might be irrelevant. If yes, then it is relevant.

• Advertisement

Of course, but the comment of Arsenal playing a different sport is a bit over the top given the gap being so narrow.

Ultimately it's all coming down to timing your strong runs. Arsenal had a major wobble back before Christmas - but have been brilliant since the winter break. We're unfortunately having our biggest wobble right at the sharp end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And it's only 2 games ago that Villa beat them comfortably at the Emirates. Arsenal have a great chance of winning the league and it wouldn't surprise me if they win all their remaining games. But for all our injuries and our wobble at the moment we are only 3 points off them with a game in hand. Listening to some posters( not you Rebel btw) on here and you would think they are 10-15 points ahead of us

As I mentioned in my comment, i don’t think City are same relentless machine like the seasons previous.

Of the two, I feel City are more likely to drop points based on how uncharacteristically porous their defence is compared to previous title run ins. Thursday will tell a lot but I don’t expect them to dispatch Brighton as easily as Arsenal did recently.

Maybe many regular posters here feel so strongly city will win that arsenal are Going under radar but if we win tomorrow and City do drop points , then 4 wins away losing the league on GD if we somehow win all our games but I don’t think arsenal are dropping points from here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

don’t do it to yourselves lads, the league is over. We aren’t winning out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'd feel more confident about Man City dropping points if they didn't have such a nice run of games. Brighton might have looked a tough game at one point, but they're really struggling with injuries and form right now - their last win was 5 games ago, narrowly beating Forrest. Not scoring goals either, 1 in their last 3 games, and that was an own goal against Burnley. So really, I think the only possibility of City dropping points is away to Spurs, and tbh I think they'll win that handy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Arsenal walking all over Chelsea… City on one of their relentless marches… LFC at a points and goals disadvantage etc…

It's a bummer lads, but I'm 45, supporting LFC since 1988 and I've never seen us win a title race. The indicators are that that will continue, unfortunately.

And it absolutely sucks…. Diaz non-goal and 2 sending-offs vs Spurs (turning 0 points into potentially 3), Ogegaard basketball non-penalty (turning 1 point into 3), the Doku kung-fu on MacAllister (turning 1 point into 3).

Robbed. Again. What's the point, seriously?
    I'm a middle-aged dude, doing the usual grind with 2 kids to support, hobbies to be enjoyed and then I like to watch Liverpool on the aul streams. Yet, all it ever feels like is an invisible shield against Liverpool winning anything. So many bad calls this season, yet City especially have had very little against them…football just becomes less and less important. Btw, ABSOLUTELY no way we win this league. It's already decided.

they since scored 7, conceded none and don’t have CL anymore . As you said it wouldn’t surprise you if they win all their games so do you not get we can’t win the league in that situation and best points tally we can get would still see us lose the league on GD (if city drop points).

What kind of reaction were you expecting on here given this was key games that it was hoped arsenal would drop points.

Arsenal will choke against Spurs or utd imo.

If they don't and win it out, good luck to them, they'll fully deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

There is an element in me that would love to see Mourinho manage us next year, i've always had a soft spot for him, in between brief periods of hating him.

There, i said it.

No idea how you possibly think united will do anything vs Arsenal . If they beat spurs they are winning all their games. That arsenal team don’t look like choking this season.

After losing a league with 90+ points twice to City, If both Liverpool and arsenal win all their games ahead of City, losing on league on GD in Klopp last season would be an incredibly harsh beat given VAR robberies this season to boot so wouldnt agree in that scenario is as simple saying fair play arsenal fully deserved. Odd

• Advertisement

I honestly don't think I could watch a Mourinho Liverpool team. I used to think he was a bit of a character - and actually, he probably was a bit of a character in his younger days - but it's become so clear now what a destructive bitter spiteful fella he is. There's incidents like the finger in Villanova's eye, and going out of his way to ruin that physio's career at Chelsea, but even beyond those headline things he seems to have just devolved into this self-obsessed jerk of a fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's shocking how the media sharks circle to defend the officials, as if its blasphemy for anyone to question officials, what is that about. Everyone should be demanding better, not defending fools. It's as if they answer to no one, and are untouchable, regardless of all the clear factual mistakes they are making week in week out. Forest were right to call them out, everyone knows they were penalties, everyone knows Diaz was onside, everyone knows Doku did not win the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I have that bad feeling too that Klopp doesn't win the league due to goal difference. It would actually fit the narrative of his tenure.

In 18/19 John Stones goal line clearance by 11 mm and losing the league by a point.

Winning the league during Covid and he couldn't even celebrate it.

Villa being 2-0 up on City in 2022 in the final game and we were beating Wolves. Gerrard couldn't just shut up shop for the last 20 minutes.

So yeah, it's either lose out to a team on goal difference who we should have had a penalty against for a blatant hand ball in 2024 or by 2 points to a team we should have had a last minute penalty against for a blatant kung fu kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If we’re still in it with 2 games to go Villa away looks like a massive road block. They’re playing incredibly well under Emery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't know how people have confidence in United getting anything against Arsenal, have we've been watching the same teams?

All we can do is focus on ourselves by bringing it to the last day and pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't even look at the other games atm.

Fearing where the goals will come from to get us through the next two in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, if I'm being honest then looking at Arsenal's fixtures is a distraction from thinking about ours. We're capable of winning our remaining games but we're probably the least likely of the three to do so

I try to take a step back and appreciate that we're even in this position, none of us expected it it this season and it's amazing that we are. But I'm as greedy at anyone and will be desperately disappointed if we fall short (and, as fyfe said above, incredibly angry about those three refereeing shortfalls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Both are are true.

Back in the CL and a trophy (nevermind a title race) is above my own expectations this season but you also recognize how rarely we might find ourselves in this position again.

That's why it was so devastating that we gave up a rare lead on City so soon after it was achieved.

Post edited by noodler on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Think the Liverpool echo puts our friend in the latest Liverpool injury updates for some sort of comedic affect it has to be said .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Except against City when they put out a weakened team even though they had first teamers on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Recovering" is doing some heavy lifting there

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Is it worrying that we cant seem to get a new manager sorted. Everyone we are linked with says no…can totally understand a manager not wanting to come in and follow Klopp…but we are 5 games from the end of the season, no manager lined up for next season yet, all the uncertainty that will bring for players, playing style etc..Trent, Mo and Virgil all have contracts expiring end of 2025..shame we only got the one league title and one champions league while we had a strong team.

Liverpool under FSG, famed for having all their recruitment dealings play out in the public……

And what club announces a new manager in the middle of a title race?

I think "everyone we are linked with says no" is a pessimistic view. Alonso said no, not sure anyone else has

These sort of things need to be behind closed doors as our targets will have current commitment. I think the issue is media speculation overstating our position. For all we actually know we decided against Amorim and no one else has been approached yet

Edit: what Fitz said 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Complaining that Klopp has only won 1 Champions League (we had won 1 in the previous 34 years) and 1 League title (1 in the previous 30 years) is only second to:

Complaining that it's slow business to not have a new manager signed 5 games before the season even ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

How do you know everybody is saying no? Alonso came out and made a statement on his future because he felt the constant rumors to both Liverpool and BM were disrespectful and distracting to what he was doing with BL, he was 100% right to do that.

Since then all we have is stories and journalist linking us to certain names every second day. The fact is nobody outside the club has a clue what is happening with the managerial search and that’s the way it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Lets be honest, Spurs is the last hurdle for Arsenal to jump over.

UTD are not taking anything from them. except maybe a hammering. People claiming that UTD raised their performance for us and they could do that to Arsenal are getting carried away.

UTD didn't raise anything for us! We absolutley threw away points and the FA cup them with pathetic displays in both matches. Missed changes and criminally bad defending costs us.

Yeah our recent losses/draws have less to do with the opposition's performance and a lot more to do with this:

0 goals vs Palace:

0 goals vs Atalanta:

2 goals vs United:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

I'll take it people arent worried so 😀….and my other comment was it was disappointing that we hadnt won more, we deserved more…shame our period of "dominance" came the same time as City (all 105 financial irregularities pending)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's the hope that kills ya.

Slot it is then.

Hopefully he'll slot right in

I'll get my coat...

If it happens, I wonder if Feyenoord would look to Ljinders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Reports of discussing compensation now, moving fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Maybe Slot will look to Ljinders…………..

Well he's managed 2 clubs in his home nation, won the league with the second, and lost a European final, basically Klopp's resume when we got him 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He worked with the rag he should be no where near the club

Yep, The Athletic reporting that Feyenoord turned down our opening offer of €9m

I know the record fee for a manager is 20 odd million but even that just doesn't sound like all that much to me when you consider that we'd be paying the same for end-of-bench players at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement