Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There'll be plenty from the few misery-posters who start every season talking about how shït everything is, then pop up gleefully with their "told'ya so's" whenever something goes wrong, entirely ignoring everything they're wrong about.

This end to the season is gutting - but as the downer-adrenaline wears off we should remember how much better we've done than anyone had any right to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This one hurts the most, I’m struggling to think of a poorer performance. I said earlier it reminded me of Napoli away from last season.

It ended up much, much worse.

We’re not a world class football team anymore, but I can’t think of a new manager that would bring us back to that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah it went one of the two ways it could have, quite obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Come on that was 3/4 months ago. This has nothing to do with Klopp announcing he was leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's it for the title now anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Diaz good. But he's not good enough for a title winning team, as he has no end product. Nunez garbage. Salah garbage.

At least we're out of our misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,546 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now watch Brighton beat City tomorrow, Arsenal to lose away to Spurs, and of course Liverpool to beat West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Hope Arsenal win it from here. What a horrible end to such a promising season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dunno, the condensed space due to how deep Everton were combined with our slow, sideways passing on the halfway line followed with a clipped ball forward kinda negated both players. Darwin was never gonna win those aerial fuels.

Diaz was involved because Robbo was so far forward, essentially as a lw which left space inside for Diaz to roam into. Trent got down the line about 3 or 4 times, rarely offered any forward support to Mo, just went into clogged central areas too often.

It's another of those nights where we could have been there for another 3 hours and not scored.

It's not nonsense, have you been watching the games? There are no guarantees for players over 30 who rely on their athleticism to go into their mid thirties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Played off the pitch in attitude and intensity

No complaints

Hope the new manager has a few different ways of setting the team up.

Not a dig, but we are done and dusted and teams really find it easy to play against us. If we can't score well then we need to be more pragmatic and not concede.

Good teams playing bad win 1 nil. This team is just not capable.

Still, it's been a good season with a very bad ending. I did dream..

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Back in carabao cup final people called Chelsea bottle jobs . Pretty much after that it's seem that Liverpool have bottled in when the pressure came on . Never seen such display of poor finishing or bottling it in front of goal in all my years of watching Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Do you think if he hadn't then word wouldn't get out that we were interviewing for a new manager? Or do you think he should have announced it on may 19th and left the club with 12 weeks to scramble for a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You just don't go behind in situations like that.

Keep it tight, don't let them get their noses on front.

Instead, we foolishly committed foul after foul after foul and basically played to Everton's strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

So in reality it was the kids that won us our only trophy . Am not having it this was all down to mental or physical tiredness these last few weeks , they couldn’t score in a brothel , they couldn’t defend for **** and even just as worrying this much vaunted new midfield went missing , the coaches and unfortunately even the great man himself was not at his best . So what happens now , new manager coming working with owners do they say ah look until st Patrick’s day it was good or do they need a serious look at some of these players ? While obviously they are not going to go mad it would be a serious mistake to ignore what happened last few weeks .

You think it has nothing to do with it? I reckon that's a bit naive tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We'll have to do one of those Chelsea Rat banners, but just all with our own players who can't pass the ball into a net from 7 yards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I’m delighted klopp did say he was going when he did cause you’d have lads calling for his head now

At least he can go on his own terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's 31. He's scored 24 goals this season.

Nonsense

So I'd say Mo is gone.

We've to do everything we can to make sure Trent and VVD stay.

I honestly don't know what to do with the strikers. Nunez and Diaz have to go.

Jota and Gakpo can stay but they can't be relied on as the main men.

You feel we need two really good starting forwards if the new guy persists with 4-3-3.

Need at least one starting CB.

Probably a holding midfielder.

Four really good starting signings at a minimum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The funny thing is, if these bad results had been earlier in the season instead of recently, and we'd spent the last few months clawing up to third and securing Champions League football for next season with 4 matches to go, it would feel very very different.

We would be delighted with the Carabao, and saying what a great parting gift Klopp had given us with a return to the Top 4, leaving a nice set up for whoever follows him.

''Why is he smiling''

I think Klopp smiles because he can't believe the refs

There is no good answer here tbh. We've experienced the same thing Utd did in the early 2000's when Ferguson said he was off. Pressure is coming on, it's a part of the season that is hugely mental as well as physical and it shouldn't be surprising if a few players start to tune out the guy who is gone in a few weeks.

I'll remember this time last year praying for Newcastle or Utd to collapse just to get a CL place.

Probably the best medicine for me just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Hopefully arsenal see it out from here pity we couldn't keep it going but that's the way it goes,won't be easy listen to the nephews and couple of brothers if arsenal do it 😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,411 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The diabolical finishing is one thing but the lack of hunger and desire in the team was genuinely disgraceful. Barely won a tackle or header all game and this game in particular is all about winning the physical battle. Or at the very least competing. You'd never believe that was one side was technically still going for the title. They never turned up. Showed nothing.

• Advertisement

This is very true.

I'll always have the Hodgson era as a nice benchmark against which to set any current disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

8 points dropped. We should be running away with the league

Ref was SHOCKING tonight, unreal what he was giving Everton, lots of freekicks, that lead to the goals.

Totally clueless ref

• Advertisement

You're spot on spockety. It was surprising to be back in the mix with a shout come April, and it's a privilege to have this level of disappointment. 2022 had a disappointing final week too, but what an absolute privilege it was throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Augme

Cristiano scored 24 goals in his first season back at United but his legs weren't able for elite level football consistently. Salah is the same. He's 32 in June, great servant but his time as an elite level player is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

Precisely. Klopp isn’t going to be able to have the same effect on these lads as he used to. It’s been a long, gruelling season for them, they’re tired, most have a Euros coming up, and they know whatever Klopp thinks now has no effect on them going into next season.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but when Klopp made the decision to leave, then it’s something that he should’ve left until after the end of the season to announce - or at least wait to see how the team is doing going into the final 10 games. The club should be able to deal with getting a new manager in during the off season.

He gave his reasons, and one key thing he mentioned was that his heart wasn't in the planning conversations for next season. He may have genuinely thought it would be damaging to the club and the way they do their planning if he didn't make clear to them he wasn't going to be playing a part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

We played really poor but Everton themselves couldn't have picked a better homer ref… let them away with all the physicality…a bit of physicality from us and they were getting free kicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

"it's a privilege to have this level of disappointment"

That's genuinely one of the wisest things I've ever read. I still feel like absolute crap, but I can feel that keeping me off rock bottom

I mean we're looking like getting a lad from the Dutch league, so it's not like the extra time delivered somebody particularly special or difficult to attain. But as you say, very easy to say in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

In a normal season when you're not up against biased ref's (a lot of whom are from Manchester) and a team with 115 charges against them, you could afford to lose an away derby and still win the league. However…

Throw in a possible 7 points dropped in 3 games due to massive calls against us (Spurs, Arsenal, Man City) and you begin to realise it may be time to gib it all off for the good of your mental health.

Unreal that United lay down like pups in their derby, and hand a free 3pts to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I know Edwards wants a manager that can carry on the work that Klopp and his team have put in place but I'm not sure the players are able for the frenetic gegenpress anymore. That's why I was hoping for a manager that would change things up. If it's going to be the same tactics and style the players might be fed up with breaking their bodies.

I am a bit disappointed in the experienced players, Allison, VVD, Robbo, Salah..I thought they would be the calmer heads that would get us over the line but I suppose they are only human. And injuries take their toll. I think losing Milner (dare I say Henderson) had a impact too. There wasn't enough experience to get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well you either affect this season or next season I suppose. I get his point and it’s admirable, but considering how the season panned out I think it ended up being a detriment to the team.

There's an alternate universe where Klopp said nothing, and we've done even worse. Who knows, impossible to say.

I'm happy that Edwards is back and they've rebuilt the front office. I suppose it's interesting to speculate whether that would have all happened if Klopp was nominally continuing, I would think not. McFly's point is well observed imo - we were going to suffer this year or next year for him leaving; hopefully it won't be both (accepting the natural lowering of expectations with Klopp gone).

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Trent Alexander Arnold is a player who sums up this current generation. More style than substance.

Sky are still falling over themselves about how fantastic of a player he is.

Gimme a right back who defends and can keep a clean sheet when required, every day of the week. And he's not good enough to play in midfield either, lovely player when he has yards in front of him, but when pressed hard or asked to defend, he's not up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Stop! The ref was fine. No major issues or mistakes. We were poor!

• Advertisement
Advertisement