Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

a tackle from behind,nothing malicious,yellow card at most id have thought,but as he did serious damage with the tackle from behind, i.e not being in control of his trailing leg,then the red followed,easy decision for ref.

i just hope the kid is back to make the few appearances needed to get his medal,hate for him to miss out a 2nd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's off the ground and out of control. If no one was injured bad, he'd survive a yellow but it had to be red given Harvey's ankle hanging off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Seriously though, when has the change in rules come in that tackles from behind are now allowed? I’ve seen a few be let go over this season so far that would’ve been reds not too long ago. With tackles from behind, getting the ball has always been irrelevant - it’s a dangerous move, stretching and wrapping your leg around the opponent so they’re bound to fall, and you’re bound to smash right into them.

i think not so long ago, Struijk wouldn’t have even attempted that challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What you lads reckon for Wednesday and how good are AC . looking forward to watching Kessie but hope he has a rare off day

I reckon Hendo & Naby start ,

No sure what happens at CB but i reckon Matip defo won't play ,

Also we might see Ox start instead of Jota ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I would agree with that. In contrast to Sadio who was spitting feathers about not capitalizing on his chances and still looks not quite 100% there mentally. He battles through though and never hides, thats why we love the chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What does it matter if it was a red or not. The player who committed the foul and the manager have publicly offered their apologies, best wishes, sympathy etc to Elliott. I don't see the need to be getting offended by whether others, our fans included believe it was or wasn't a red card. It's perfectly reasonable to have debates about tackles and cards etc especially when they are clearly accidental and deeply unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Seen this for the first time just now - what are the chances. Of all the people he could have asked lol

Would fancy us to win it at home alright, but they'll be a proper challenge. Very good team... Florenzi, Rebic, Tonali, Kessie, Brahim Diaz, Zlatan, Leão, Giroud - looot of quality midfielders and attackers there!

That latter bit is the bit that's confusing me this season - it had been largely stamped out. It was all but gone. Now they seem to be letting it come back in with their 'let the game flow' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The tackle from behind was banned from the sport nearly 25 years ago.

The Premier League now turning a blind eye to it will lead to more accidental freak injuries from tackle from behind.

Then you would have to ask are they really accidental or freak injuries if the are coming from a tackle that was outlawed and banned nearly 25 years ago because of the injuries they caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The governing bodies (FIFA in particular) are at a weak point, perhaps their weakest ever. As evidenced by the shenanigans in the recent international break where everyone ignored what FIFA said.

The EPL are taking advantage of this to basically set their own rules of the game as they see fit (albeit they call it 'interpretation' of the rules.) At the moment it seems there's little can be done if one league wants to do their own thing.

With Zaltan and Giroud up top would it suit us to play Gomez and play a higher line ,Keep there heading ability as far away from goal as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Expert sports surgeon and Liverpool fan, Mike Hennessey, said the rapid response of the club's medical team will aid Elliott's recovery and he should be back on the pitch in six months.

To get a dislocation it means you have disrupted several bits, he has either broken the bones on both sides or broken the bone on one side and torn the major ligaments on the inside,' said Mr Hennessey. 'Either way it is a major injury.'

After an operation, Elliott will face six weeks rehabilitation and physiotherapy without putting weight on the joint, a further six weeks of some weight bearing activities, including hydrotherapy, and three months light training before he can return to the pitch, hopefully in March.

'He is young. He is a professional athlete in top condition and will not have any healing issues,' said Mr Hennessey

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9985345/Liverpools-Harvey-Elliott-action-six-months-horror-injury-says-surgeon.html

The one thing Elliott will have is support from the likes of Ox & Gomez who have both over come two major injuries and then you add in the likes of VVD these are guys who will help keep up his spirts on the long road back.

I'd say only one of them will start though, and they've some wicked pacy players playing off the frontman, like Raphael Leao and Rebic, that will be looking to run in behind if we leave a lot of space.

If you sub out Fulham for Norwich we are now 8 points up on the 4 corresponding fixtures from last season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Or just play Konate who's fast and excellent in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I was just saying to my mate yesterday as we were watching the match that despite Kante being recognised as the best DM in the world the last few years I actually wouldnt swap Fab even for Kante. He just suits our team so well, so much better than Kante would imo. Imagine how short our midfield would be with Kante, Thiago and Elliot for example. For me we have the best 6 in the world for our team.

Thaigo had a higher success rate in the tackle than Kante last season ,

Kante a very good player but i think he is overrated due to being so likeable

• Advertisement

I'm also just not sure how comparable they are anyway... they do different things. Fab is more of a classic 6. He sits and screens everything and is at the base of play. Kante is much more all-action and i'd probably consider him an 8 really, often letting Jorginho hold while he runs to actively try to dispossess players and close people down. Think Fab and Kante would work really well together.

Your bang on , i think if you play Kante as a 6 alone it gives you problems because he doesn't hold his position ,

Iv a feeling Chelsea are so shape & structure oriented that the once they get found out as in someone comes up with the perfect game plan it will be replicated , I don't think there CB's are good enough for them to abandon 5 at the back and 2 in front of them , Also the first goal against them is vital ,

Ok ok let's not start pretending Thiago is a better DM than Kante! Although that is a very impressive stat all the same. Where did you find that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

VVD was ready last season,,but we never risked him. Elliott will be same, ready or not Klopp goes without until next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Probably right.

The ankle as said before is quite complex, Elliott is 18,time is on his side, a full rehab and preseason is probably what's needed ahead of taking short cuts.

What's the story with Jones, he hasn't featured yet, is he fit?

I think he doesnt hold his position currently in the chelsea team cos thats what the manager wants. Remember him at Leicester and his first few years at Chelsea. Then Jorginho was signed and Kante was shifted out of his best position imo.

Im not advocating that Kante is better than Fab as ive already said but to say Kante was over rated is revisionism imo. Heck the "Makelele" role was even redifined as the Kante role which is saying something. He was absolutely brilliant for a few years...still is but just plays in the wrong position now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones on the pitch midweek and then starting against Palace and Norwich in the cup. He started a lot of the CL group stage games last season, and was one of the important players rested in Denmark at the time.

Raffy Ben is already a hero at Everton. And they wanted him gone before first game. Could be a dark hearse this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Certainly explains the funeral like atmosphere at Goodison anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Does VVD start on Wednesday? A lot of football for him to start the season with the International break too. Is starting Gomez and Konate together too much changing?

• Advertisement

I'd play VVD and Matip in the next two games then bring in Konate & Gomez for the league cup tomorrow week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In that Champions League group every game counts can't be resting anyone

Yeah, agree. Definitely full strength for CL games. Would love to go deep in it again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Can anyone remember when ox last has a good game , I genuinely cannot , is it game time he needs or just to move on ? I have been so disappointed by him for a couple of years now .

Also so did the team seem slow to celebrate with Mane , could be a factor of HE injury but I am worried about Sadio , used to be such a happy player but whether it’s his form making him sad or his sadness causing his form I can’t work out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Also so did the team seem slow to celebrate with Mane

It was at the very end of the game and they had it won. Maybe the players were a little tired so didn't break their necks sprinting over to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

They looked genuinely delighted for him I thought

Ah no not at all there competently different players ,

Kante tackle success last season in the league was only 53% Thaigo's was 59%

But Kante made more tackles 79 to Thaigo's 66 , Kante's defensive number where all higher just Thiago had more successful tackle %

As you would expect Thaigo passing and attacking stats are better ,

I wouldn't be surprised at all if tomorrows midfield is Hendo, Naby & Jones all 3 should be fresh and rested ,(although i'd like Fab in there)

I reckon Klopp will try use the return of Champions league crowd to our favour and we could see a real old school foot down Liverpool performance with & us starting at 100 miles per hour ,

😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I think we are likely to see a rotated side to some degree anyway. Probably Hendo, Naby and Milner, may be Ox too. I think last year we went with Keita and Ox in midfield in our first game which was Ajax away. We all went nuts before hand as it should have been our toughest game of the group and we came away with a 1-0 win I think. From what I remember, I think we rotate in the early group games and then go strong at the end if we need to. Did we have a rotated team in Belgrade too and get whopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think the situation of the match meant that it wasn't an all out celebration for the team. As other's have mentioned the match was won already and the injury would have impacted the players. They would have seen his foot not looking right. I cannot look at the photo's, I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be on the pitch.

The important aspect is if the players were happy for Mane in the changeroom and training since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Genuine contenders this season IF we stay injury free or as near as. Not many or any sides actually with a better first 11 than us and if Sadio can find some form we will blitz teams like Milan. You add a Haaland to this side in January with maybe Bobby and Origi moving on or next summer and renew Salah's contract and i think we will see an avalanche of trophies before Klopp moves on in 3-4 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But you know that we will not be signing haaland, is haaland this seasons mbappe, any journalists linking us are just looking for clicks.

Nothing to worry about with Mane,

He is still making numerous chances a game which is the hardest part he is just going through a patch off over thinking things,

It's clearly confidence because you can see when he gets chance he is taking extra touches as he is unsure in himself, His goal was him at his best one touch and bang,

Mane's attitude changed when MO arrived & for the better, Mo up'd the level of our forwards and turned them into goal machines,

Mane has become like Mo single minded and always wants more from his own performance, Gone is the smiling happy to be there player , now we have an elite level forward who wants more & more and demands it from himself,

Is the Palace game on Saturday on TV ?

Klopp has said Elliott is now in London ready to have surgery on his ankle today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ibra is missing for Milan tomorrow night. Giroud up top it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I don't know that. A club of our stature should be in for him, in fact i think with our lack of spending the last couple of years we very well may be. I never believed for a second we would or should sign Mbappe tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Advertisement