Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Augme

We've got no decent DM though. I'm not saying Bajetic is the answer but it's worth giving some game time and see what he is capable of. I know Klopp won't, but I'd be happy to see Grav get starts for the rest of the season. We know what we've got in Endo and Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Nothing to be learnt about any of the players in the last few games of this season, they are essentially meaningless matches with nothing really on the line, plus with a new coaching setup next season, performances in these 2 matches really don't matter. A player could have the performance of their lives in the next 2 matches, but, get injured in the summer and not be ready for the start of next season.

Let's face it, the only reason the last match will be remembered is because its Klopp's last match, there is nothing else of any significance regarding the last two matches. There's a new coaching setup next season, who will have new ideas and all players should start from a clean slate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is Nunez getting personal abuse on boards?

Surely not, the mods would be all over that in a heartbeat.

Oh wait, do you mean legitimate criticism?

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

didn’t see any of the game; what’s the verdict? Liverpool back closer to their best or Spurs defensively shambolic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The way I look at that, Bajetic came into a completely dysfunctional team last and season and put in a performance when required. nobody said he was a world beater, but he definitely looked like he had potential from the few glimpses we saw and considering he was only 18 with very little help from his superiors that had to be admired.

Grav has played with a much better supporting cast this season and has easily looked the weakest link on too many occasions from those appearances. He has shown some odd glimpses here and there, but to completely rule out Bajetic infavour of Gravenberch would be a mistake in the long run in my opinion.

Apparently people were targeting his family from the family photos he had shared, so he shut down the whole lot.

The lowest of the low anyone that engages in that behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

Nothing has changed, we are still soft in the middle without Endo. Salah scored from a peach of a ball played by Gakpo, but I don't think he was ever in danger of adding to that goal. If we were in better form, we could have scored 4/5 goals in the first half.

Agreed and such serious behavior shouldn't be equated with discussion of his footballing ability here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Not right if nunez is getting abused on social media but let's be honest he will never make it as a top striker, his chance was identical to the one against atalanta where he also should have simply taken the ball around the keeper for a tap in. It shows he hasn't learned anything from that mistake to try it again yesterday. Imagine if the game was 0-0 and we were fighting for the title and he does that which I'd say he would still try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was one mention on the TAW podcast of rumours of Nunez needing surgery on a foot injury in the summer. Didn't he have an injury during the international break? Might help explain why his form has been off a cliff since that international break. The chaos isn't there anymore, real lack of energy which was prevalent earlier in the season.

That chance at the end of the game yesterday showed a real lack of confidence. Maybe a lack on intelligence too but he made the smart run beforehand and also showed good intelligence to chose to put in a good ball for Salah to score (instead of shooting from a more difficult angle) but was called back for a slight offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

It’s odd to say salah “was never in danger of adding to that goal” when he literally had one of most worst misses at his time with Liverpool from 3 yards out, somehow flicked it wide. He also had a goal ruled out for Nunez offside so seems people are never satisfied. He was definitely much improved yesterday with a goal , his saved shot that Robbo scored and his layoff for Elliot’s goal. He was involved in nearly all the goals.In the first half he was much direct , forced saves for Vicario and a lot with Gapko was a danger.

Nunez unfortunately is showing no signs of learning with another awful 1 on 1 opportunity squandered when the calmer option was to carry around keeper. Really thought he was becoming vital to us around time of palace goal and late forest winner but The chances missed over the last month having been extremely costly. I wouldn’t be against seeing him leave now after 2 seasons but i don’t see any club forking out 60-70m we’d prob need sell him. He’s at his lowest ebb right now so new manager may yet be able to get best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

No manager can get selection right every time, and we don’t see what’s going on in training etc, and hindsight is 20:20, but I groaned every time Endo wasn’t in the starting XI in the run-in. We are never great defensively, but we are much more solid when he plays, and it was a mistake when Klopp dropped him

Id add to that and say he hit the post and bar before he scored.

Thought Mo was much improved yesterday.

Salah seemed to have a better attitude yesterday than the last few weeks too. Even when Nunez was offside & missed that chance in the last minute, Salah was applauding his work & running, being supportive.

He might have probably had a talking to during the week from the boss. It would have been easy to sulk or not care as Klopp is leaving in 2 weeks.....

.....Klopp is leaving in 2 weeks 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭Talisman

Salah's form has been brutal recently and yesterday he looked better in terms of effort but I never got the impression that he was going to score. The header was a welcome surprise but the misses are what are to be expected when he's off form. He's not a poacher and it can look like he contrives to not put away chances when he's in a rut. He's still in the rut, he was just making more of an effort after his spell on the sidelines.

As I originally said, we could have had 4/5 goals in the first half. Salah's misses were the difference in the score line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think Nunez has improved a lot form last year. Whether he's good enough to lead a league winning team is the question (he's not at present) but he has improved a lot on where he was a year ago. His discipline is better, his team play is better, (up to the last few weeks) his energy has been directed better and he's an overall better player.

Is he what we need to lead another title charge.... I'd have my doubts. His head has fried a bit when the pressure came on in the run in, and that's not a good sign - he seems ill composed and that may or may not improve given his age.

It's a question for Edwards and Slot do we cut our losses and cash him in for scrap value, (because that's what's gonna happen) or work on him for another year and see if a further improvement can fix his finishing. What would we get for him on a fire sale, 20 million? 25?? What would we get as a replacement for that - not a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Darwin has had too few starts on the wing. We should be alternating him and Diaz, instead if Diaz starting every game. And unless we have too many injuries Diaz and Nunez should not start together. One of Darwin/Luis, one of Jota/Gakpo and Salah should be out front 3 all the time. Too many times Gakpo on the bench when Jota injured, but Jota’s injury probably the most damaging fact of all for out title challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nunez is worth a hell of a lot more than 20/25 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I don’t think it’s really hit home for me. But his last home game I’ll be in bits. The man has done so much for the club. Dragged us up by the boot heels and went toe to toe with City on hard mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Nunez should get a season with Slot in charge but I wouldn't be surprised if he is sold.

I think the powers that be might have their mind made up about him.

Whatever about his market value there was a period mid season where I thought there was hope and everyone was noticing the improvement vs last season.

That broadly regressed in recent months though.

We have to spend better in the future. We can't afford to spend that kind of money for someone with some many questions marks after two whole seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Where was this United team when we played them? They were hassling us and putting in a shift, understandable against your most hated rival, but today they are passive again and just plain useless. Ah well, that's them breaks I suppose. I am sure there are other teams in a similar position but how many have 2 big rivals they play every year? United and City is a derby in proximity, but they do not have the history that we have with Everton where league were fought over for years. Then we have the United match that is grounded in hatred it seems. A lot of teams have those, Leeds v United as an example but they have not been relevant for a long time. I guess United is in the same position as us.

Just something we have to deal with, but looking at Everton's financial position we may not have a local rival for a few years if the 777 deal goes through, or if it falls apart. They are on the brink financially and would not be surprised to see them disappear in the next couple of years, then we only have to worry about the match against United where "form goes out of the window".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

state of those red Mancs and they laughing at us only a few weeks ago . When Man City do the double more hilarity from that shower 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I won't hold it against him, and it's probably a combination of Dutch directness, and excitement, but Slot really should keep his mouth shut until it's official or after Klopp's last game.

• Advertisement

Tbf, we somehow failed to beat them in 3 matches this season and they effectively derailed our season, so while it's great to see them struggling it makes our results against them this season all the more galling. I wouldn't rule out them shocking City in the final either, they have somehow managed to get results in a lot of matches this season where they were clearly the inferior team, even their league position of 8th flatters them, they really should be in the bottom half of the table with their performance throughout the season. They have been unbelievably poor.

yes we got all that . The facts are that shower are in no condition to laugh at anybody .City will put them to the sword easily .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't look at those 2 results as much as the Everton and Crystal Palace losses. United played well against us, in defending, at Anfield but we should have won the match at Old Trafford. But the 6 points lost just recently hurt us more. We could have been on 84 points and top of the league. Still would not have been enough most likely, I think at this stage it is better to melt away and finish 3rd than losing to City going on one of those runs again and losing by a point.

While we are not at the end of the season yet in reflection we are probably where we deserve to be, 3rd best in defense and 3rd best attack if you look at goals conceded and goals scored, so about 3rd. I don't think there was a way we kept on winning with the shape our squad was in, there was a reason for the drop-off. This was not us falling away for no reason like Tottenham who has not gone long in the cups and had no European football and is still melting away. We are just not there yet in terms of our squad and the amount of matches caught us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, it's probably time to start accepting it's going to happen. It's going to be very hard to take on the final day. Annoyingly, we probably won't be on TV either

Post edited by Electric Nitwit on

You could accept the UTD results, as games can genuinely go either way between us regardless of from. Many a time we took all 3 points from them back in the day when we were shambolic most weeks and they’re going for the title.

The Palace loss at home and then the performance, or non-performance against Everton was the killer. We should have scored at least 5 against Palace and the game against Everton was a classic thunder and guts performance with high intensity from Everton. We should have been experienced enough to know what was coming and ride out the wave of pressures. Instead we completely crumbled and most lads look terrified to attempt to get on the ball and get us going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Lauras Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭IrishOwl...

This is a Liverpool group / section jeez 🙄 you are offended by word shower 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

May be a Bath fan instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

or they must have came down in the last shower if they don’t know what that shower means, hopefully this post gets showered with praise or I’m for an early shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

If we won the United league match, which in fairness we had enough chances to win, I don't think we would lose the Atalanta and Crystal Palace matches subsequently, there was knock on consequences in the subsequent matches. The way the United result happened with two freak goals from nowhere really knocked the stuffing out of the squad and Klopp, especially following on so quickly after the FA cup horror show. The timing of these results at such a crucial time of the season had a massive impact on the team.

I always felt we would come up short, as I felt Arsenal didn't look like caving in this year and City are City, but, we were in a good position with 7 or 8 games to go and ultimately we bottled it. There was a few really poor team selections made that didn't help us, had the right calls been made it's possible we could still be in the race. A lost opportunity, but, too late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

^^^^^ I remember that well . I had a neurological appointment a few days later and when my neurologist asked me about me losing weight I replied that I was out for dinner a couple of nights before . She replied good . I left out the fact that the restaurant was full of Liverpool fans celebrating and downing pints . A great night 😷😷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FIVE years ago… jesus christ… the world has since imploded, started getting its shït back together again (and getting worse in more than a few ways), and that night still somehow feels like yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Really wouldn’t agree with any of that . 4 consecutive away games post united is one of shortest turnovers ever forced on a team including an early kickoff was incredibly challenging ask. Add the dynamic of Klopp announcing mid season he’s leaving and it’s a very complex situation for a team to manage. We didn’t bottle anything- we’ve been the 3rd best team in league this season and finishing where we deserve too. That 10 days period of 4 away games was always going to catch us .

While it was fantastic celebrating Virgil’s 119th Min winner in the Cup or Nunez 99th min winner vs Forest, it was not sustainable to keep scraping with our finger nails through games. We conceding far too many goals prior to united needing very late goals to salvage games. The United FA cup game was first time injured first team players like szobo/salah returned and what we witnessed over the last 6 weeks since then was a team with players running on fumes, returning players with no rhythm and a manager wrapping up.

The issues impacting the team were present before the united games and fixtures congestion, injuries were there after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Good video on Elliott.

https://www.youtube.com/live/e-72bSl_gx8?si=w-1NJ9ArvoPonCjR

You'd forget how young he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Couldn't of put it better myself,we bottled nothing,we were just not good enough and utd had nothing to do with us not winning the league

Salah's level of big chance creation this season has been brilliant.

Thats actually a little heartbreaking.

Can understand the man's frustration to an extent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A lot of those come from more central positions too… could really thrive in that 10 role that Slot uses, with a bit of freedom to move into pockets of space all around the final third.

Advertisement