Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm more in this space than blaming Mac who been flogged to death this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭joinme

Klopps substitutions handed the initiative back to Villa. 4 subs at once is too many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, would've been ok with Mac coming off - Endo had to stay on for that bit of defensive solidity. It was just so very clear last week against Spurs how taking Endo off made us so much weaker, so feels insane to repeat that mistake. Our lead was big enough last week to get the win still, but not this week, 2 goals given up in minutes.

I thought it was won, did you not?

85th minute and absolutely cruising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I know we’re playing for nothing really but least we’re making it interesting

Whatever about the subs at minute 75, once they got to the 85th they should have seen this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah, it's not even hindsight, I think we all got a bit nervous as soon as we saw 4 subs, plenty of comments here about it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Useless. Zero need to make 4 subs at once.

Duran Duran a good one

Honestly, we're nearly lucky enough to even get a draw out of that performance. They had the clear cut chances for 2 or 3 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The game didn't matter and much of the effort and touchline decisions make sense in that context.

Elite level sport is difficult to do well when there is nothing at stake. We were very fluid going forward, because there was no pressure. But very very sloppy, because there was nothing at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

Defensive solidity? We were conceding chance after chance all game long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Story of the season can't kill off games or starting very slow and on backfoot from the off,well on to Sunday for klopps last hurrah then the hard work will begin for next season

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We've been sloppy all season, when everything has been at stake.

that's why i said "that bit of"… we were already struggling, and then removing our defensive screen from midfield just opened it up entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

End of season game, with nothing to play for. Klopp was giving lads a run out. I'm sure the subs would have been a lot different if there was something to play for. I wouldn't look into it too much.

Klopp on last day at the office vibes, and he's earned it.

• Advertisement

I don't know that I'd call anything tonight 'very fluid going forward'… we played very much the same as we did when there was loads of pressure. We've just not been good over the past 6 weeks or so, pressure or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

A game with nothing at stake, the manager on his way out and players with a Euros coming up, it’s pointless trying to get anything out of that game. Even had we lost it I wouldn’t have been too bothered.

Looking forward to the season being over now, as much as I’ll miss Klopp being the manager the team is crying out for some new ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Endo is the most effectual, yet seemingly oblivious, player in the league. No messing, breaks up play, gets taken off, the team folds…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Guys, who cares other than just to have a good time at this stage of our season. It seems the players were having fun out there but that invited mistakes and we drew. But again, who cares seeing as we are going to finish third and whether we win 7-0 or lose 6-1 it doesn't really matter at the moment.

Seems to me the players play with intensity and then drop off after being in a good lead the last few games once we were out of the title. I am ambivalent on whether to get upset about this result. We got a lucky goal, they got one. We gave them the ball for their other 2 goals, they needed the points more than we did. Would have liked to win but enjoyed the match knowing we are much better than them.

That's fine, we bottled three competitions in a month of elapsed time and a handful of games.

But once it was all over, what comes next is beyond analysis. Crazy end of season games with wild scorelines is pretty standard for a team with nothing to play for. Some people on here care more about tonight than the manager and players I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

This! Endo is, obviously underestatedly, doing what Fab/Hendo did for us so long. The lad is no world-beater, but he is very, very good at his task as the disruptor. Nobody else is doing it in the team, and when he goes off, it all falls apart. It happened vs Spurs so I was surprised Klopp took Endo off again. Price paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Will our last game be on the TV on Sunday?

Doubt it, the title race will still be on so they will show those matches. We have nothing to gain or lose and neither does Wolves, the only other interest is the race for 4th and if City win tomorrow that is done as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If it is one word I hate and i have never heard it as much as I have during Klopps reign,is the word bottle. We bottled nothing this season. We were just not good enough,defensively and offensively and I can’t understand how some posters can’t see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, I'd imagine it'll be City, Arsenal and probably Forest, possibly Luton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Yes as much as I love klopp I'm kinda sick of the way we play with our defense being so porous and our attack fluffing their lines most of the time, we weren't good enough this season unfortunately so klopp has earned his rest after giving us all the top prizes while competing against a cheating club. I'm looking forward to see slots set up and hoping he brings more defensive stability and possibly another midfielder or two and definitely another striker/winger or two, he needs to weed out a few and possibly sell Diaz, salah nunez as we need the money and salah gone too old and other two have no end product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

My one hope for the summer is that Southgate doesn't get the notion to bring Elliot to the euros. Like, he would be a ogod option to have coming off the bench in the last quarter, but fvck England and Southgate and England..... He needs a break. Gareth wouldn't know that to do with him anyway.....

im still in the be careful what you wish for phase.

A trophy a season on average, loads of finals, two or three proper title races.

I'm just worried where will be next Jan, still with plenty to play for or out of all

There's an u21 tournament too, so Elliott will be playing a summer tournament either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So basically we need City to win so that the Spurs and Villa games are meaningless, then hope that the lure of Klopps last game and a sizable fan base is enough to warrant being picked?

Klopp's last game will get more viewers than any relegation game will.

There actually aren't really any relegation games (pending some late new points deductions!), since the goal difference between Forest and Luton is 12. So Luton would need to batter Fulham, and Forest would need to be battered by Burnley, neither of which look at all likely.

Really the only games of interest are the Arsenal and Man City games, followed to an extent by the race for the fringe Europe spots, depending on how Man U, Chelsea, and Newcastle do in midweek.

I don't think neutrals will care about Klopps last match either… they'll be interested in the images right afterwards I'm sure, Klopp saying goodbye to the Kop and all that, but about the actual 90 minutes of the match I doubt anyone outside liverpool fans will be watching.

It's a bit of a depressingly irrelevant last day all round as far as these things go.

Any Liverpool game probably gets more viewers than most matches. There is a reason why we keep getting the 12h30 kick offs and its not because TNT like to needle Klopp, it is good for their viewing figures.

In fairness, I have to give Arsenal their due.

We know how hard it is to actually get to push City to the last day of the season in order to keep the title chase relevant for as long as possible.

No matter what happens, they've done that. There's been plenty of seasons the league was mathematically done weeks before the final day

Post edited by noodler on

Absolutely. I think most here respect what Arsenal have done, even though we seem split about whether or not we'd want to see them win it now. No doubt Arteta has built a good team and seems to have hardened their previously soft underbelly too. A new striker in the summer and they'll be a serious proposition again next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Having a look at some of our stats from the season and one that stands out is that Luis Diaz has played more minutes than anyone other than Van Dijk. In his 2,575 minutes this season he has only 5 "Big Chances Created."

Salah leads the league with 23 in about as many minutes (2,445) as Diaz.

Nunez has 11 in 2,027 minutes (about 6 fewer matches).

Gakpo (1,563) and Jota (1,150) each have 4 in way less time.

After being unsuccessful in the ballot for the EL final, "you now have the chance to buy tickets since some fans did not complete their purchase"

I'm guessing a lot of Liverpool fans just didn't pay 🙈

I'm going to head along and support Leverkusen, but it'll be very bittersweet

The one thing that Liverpool did when finishing 2nd to City, that Arsenal have not done, is they won a trophy in the same season. CL in 18/19. League Cup & FA Cup in 21/22 in addition to CL final. Arsenal have thrown the cups the last couple years in order to go far in the league, so will have nothing to show for the last 2 seasons unless Spurs do them a favour tonight.

I feel bad saying it, but maybe there's a lesson to be learnt there...?

I'd find it hard to argue that we've had a better season than Arsenal if we're comparing 2nd to 3rd + the league cup. I want to say we've done better, but my heart wouldn't be in that argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

I think Arsenal have learnt from Liverpool's mistakes i.e. not strengthening when winning or pushing City close. They haven't won anything yet but they spent 100m on Rice and its improved them massively and pushed City all the way - they could still win the league.

I have no doubt they'll spend big again this summer and bring in a goal scoring forward. This is an area i really feel liverpool messed up in previous years and i've stated it a few times so pardon my repeating myself. The midfield was an issue all last season and yet we still ended up in a position where we got a relatively unknown player to fill in at 6 when Caicedo fell through (who himself felt like a panic offer as we'd no links before this). McAllister was a great buy and Szobo will hopefully come good again.

Endo has been very good for us but we need better if we are to be challenging City and a resurgent Arsenal - not to mention Chelsea, United, Newcastle and Spurs are all unlikely to be as off next season as they were for most of this season. Will we spend the money to improve though? Our transfers seems very unfocused lately so maybe with the transfer committee back in charge we'll strike some gold again. This season was always about building but then we get the Klopp news so now it feels like a complete change. Dare i say it but we might be better for it.

A new goalscorer and CB have jumped my own priority list over an Endo upgrade.

I'm so disappointed with Jones and Sobo this season as a whole though that they are lucky to escape the criticism.

I don't really get that?

As amazing as the 93 and 97 points league seasons were, they are ultimately 2nd place.

I'm delighted we have trophies to supplement those seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's fine.

I'd trust Carsley and Co with his care more that Southgate and Co. They'd definitely send him back broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

I wouldn’t say Arsenal have thrown the cups this year. We beat them in the FA cup when they butchered a pile of chances, and got to the QF of the CL, played strong teams in both of those ties.

They have gotten lucky with injuries and the schedule giving their team a needed break after Christmas and in March but I wouldn’t have that take anything away from them. They’ve managed the run-in very well and are playing at a high level, it’ll be well deserved if they manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yes, it was only the league cup that Arsenal "threw"

Last couple of years were beaten by Pool and City in FA Cup

Advertisement