Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I can only imagine that the reason for asking to be paid as an employee might be to circumvent taxation on 1 off fee payments, or for some fiduciary shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I said commodities - you make it sound like human trafficking (with extra steps...)

In which case, Riola is the boss, and that answers my question, cheers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And Conte is sitting around waiting for Ole to get sacked.

Just hope Alex keeps pulling for Ole with the Glazers and his former teams mates in the media keep bigging him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ref was baffling, yea if Liverpool had the ball I can see him playing on and see how play goes, but Leeds had the ball he never seen it as a foul until Salah went mad to get the medical team on the pitch. This approach by the refs is crazy because they are letting crazy fouls go unpunished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was a perfect example of Ole putting Ronaldo ahead of the team. Sad. I mean we could say to Salah, just do nothing, just stay in the box, and score 30 goals a season. .and it will get you so far, but then things like that happen, that happened last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes he is the one I'm worried about currently. The squad UTD have a the minute it only needs a half decent manager to bring them forward to the next step, luckily Ole qualifies as been completely incompetent so they're limited in where they can go under him! As you say lets hope Alex keeps backing him behind the scenes at OT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Basically because an agent is for life, not just for Xmas :-)

Although a deal may be "done" a players career lasts +/- 15 years and will most likely involve several club contracts plus increasingly more ancillary contracts with sponsors etc so players need (or at least want) someone with commercial savvy in their corner who is constantly looking out for opportunities and/or putting out fires for them as needs be.

Because of the ongoing nature of the requirement it makes sense for agents to be partly paid on an ongoing basis rather than solely on a commission or fee basis when a transaction occurs. Think of it in terms of estate agents. When you want to sell your gaff you engage an agent, they shake the trees to see if they can find a buyer, they haggle the best price they can get for you, help close the deal and get paid a fee, usually a % of the deal and then they are gone out of your life, at least until the next time you want to sell your gaff, maybe 5-7 years down the road.

Players want their agents to be far more involved on an ongoing basis than you'd want your estate agent involved in your life!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think he's asking why the agent should be on the payroll of the club (as Raiola is looking for), rather than on the players payroll.

Normal practice across most industries is for an agent to take a small % of the money generated as a result of their advice/negotiations. What's being proposed by Raiola I've not really seen before - where the club he's working to extract money from would put him on the payroll for the privilege.

Jorge Mendes is paid by Wolves to be an agent for the club and is also on the pay roll of Swansea so there is a precedent there for agents to be on club payrolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

It's simple (and legal) tax avoidance.

Option1 - Player pays agent.

Club pays player €100, player pockets €50 after tax, player then pays agent €10 leaving player with €40.

Option 2 - Club pays agent.

Club pays player €90, player pockets €45.

Club pays agent €10.

In both options the club pays €100 and the agent is paid €10.

In Option 1 the player nets €40 after tax but in Option 2 the player nets €45 after tax.

Option 2 produces a higher after tax amount for the player, the agent gets the same €10 in both options and the club pays the same €100 in both options. The only one to lose out is good old HMRC.

That's not the same though - clubs have always hired agents to represent the club. That's what Mendes does.

This on the other hand is a case of you paying for the person you're negotiating against's agent on a long term ongoing basis (he wants 130k a week for 5 years). If Raiola were to be representing Liverpool in that time in various different deals, like Mendes does with Wolves, that would've be a problem - but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

I wouldn't be surprised if only change is Henderson for Elliot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'll go the same

but he might play Jones for Fab & Hendo as the DM ,

With Fab having had the whole international window off, he's gotta start tonight. Same for Hendo getting the break at the weekend. Then it's between Keita and Thiago for the 3rd spot I think... probably Keita, since Thiago is just coming back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

At least we are in a position to make these shots. Look at United yesterday, 2 shots or Barcelona, 5 shots. Yes it is a worry that we aren't putting our chances away, but then again if we start doing that we are going to be really scary for all teams to play against.

• Advertisement

The underage team beat AC 1-0 in the youth Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The fall for Barca will be severe I feel..over a decade with the greatest player ever,now,no shots on target at home in a champions League game,and they look so bang average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd expect close to full strength tonight as it's the fourth group game before we get another home game, Porto (A) and then a double header vs Atletico (away first) so a good start is a priority imo. Also after this game we have Palace (H), Norwich (A) in the LC, Brentford (A). Palace and Brentford aren't gimmies but give us much more room for rotation than in the CL group games and Klopp will go full second team in the LC if previous years are to go by. So I'd expect Matip might miss out just because of his injury record and Henderson in for Elliott. Then I'd guess the only other changes may be injury related, I don't expect the likes of Ox, Origi, Milner, Minamino or Jones to get a start today.

They were poor - but you have to factor in that they were starting Luuk De Jong up front, who probably won't even make the bench when Dembele, Fati, Aguero, and Braithwaite are back fit. Jordi Alba was just coming back off an injury and clearly not fit yet either.

I don't think that team last night is a fair reflection of what Barca will be this season. I don't see what happened to Milan happening to them for instance - they still have a very competitive squad, just one level below the elites I think, and have a tonne of very promising young players.

They'll have a year or two of probably not doing an awful lot as they cut costs, but like Laporta achieved before under the same circumstances, I could see them being back at the top end before long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orig, Nabi and Gomez start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Origi starting from obscurity is buzzard.

Would have never thought Origi would get a start, couldn't even get on a nine man bench for the last three games and it's March since he's played a minute of competitive football. I just don't get how he's used, I don't think he's good enough, but just randomly chucking him to start is odd and doesn't give him much chance of having any rhythm. There's plenty of games over a season where we have it wrapped up and giving him 20-30 minutes wouldn't hurt. 2-0 up against Norwich after 65 minutes on the opening day an example of a game where playing him shouldn't affect the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It is a surprise but Mane needs to take a break. He has had countless opportunities to score in each of the games this season and to say he was wasteful would be an understatement. The forwards need to be rotated and Origi is the only viable option as a natural forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Origi, been a long time. Jurgen obviously sees a role for him tonight so I'm interested to see what he can do.

Anyone looking at Dortmund?? I'm not usually one to jump on the hype bandwagon but jasus Bellingham looks the real deal. I hope to god the rumours around ourselves been linked turn out to be true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I understand needing to rotate but if he's going to be used in games outside of the LC and FA cup's he needs to be given more minutes. We only had three attackers in the squad against Leeds and they all started, Origi wasn't even there in case of injury or if we end up running away with it he could get 20-30 minutes before being started today. His usage is just confusing, hasn't had a kick since March and hasn't started since January but throw him into CL game, I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

12 subs tonight, take out Adrian and you could fashion a decent starting 11.

Kelleher

Konate, VVD, Phillips, Tsimikas

Jones, Tiago, Milner

Minamino, Mane, Ox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think he just needs to play through the middle and not out wide. He's not a wide player.

I'm hoping the same! Most of the times I've watched him he looks really good for a teenager, only turned 18 in the summer but looks so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The problem is he just has a tendency to drift out wide and we end up with no-one in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Origi is in the shop window tonight. Klopp needs to get some money in, I can't see any other reason.

Pretty much this, couple of CL goals if he can get them in the group stage will hopefully generate some January interest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,284 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You don't auction a player in the first group game of a Champions League campaign, so I'd look for another reason.

I just can't see throwing a cold player into a champions league match against a really good team purely as a 'shop window' exercise being at all a logical choice... I mean, you're basically setting him up for failure by not giving him any time at all before then.

Can only assume he's been performing in training and earned his shot or something...

We'll never see it, but i'd love to see Origi in a 2 up someday. With Mo maybe. Would expect (hope) it's Jota left and Div central tonight anyway.

Every time we go 3-0 with 20-30 minutes to go he should be thrown on to try grab a few pointless goals. He's just not been involved for the last year, so no one is going to spend 20-30m on a striker who has 1 goal (against Lincoln) since the end of the 19/20 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Poor auld Reese Williams getting a going over from Kerr about his positioning in the Real Madrid match last year. Must have been seriously out of position sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Very surprised that Matip starts again. Thought he would be rested tonight before playing against Palace. I'm guessing he is rested against Palace instead now.

I fear the reason that Origi is starting is because Bobby is out for longer than we think, so Klopp has to bring in Origi to make him feel part of the team again as he will be needed more over the next 2 months.

Leao up against Trent will be an interesting battle tonight - Gomez pace will very much be needed to cover that side I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Firminio is back jogging and doing light training so can't be out for that long unless he got a setback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Decent chance for Origi. Almost hits the cornet flag. In fairness hard to be match sharp when you haven’t been playing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Good start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Goallllll

Get in! Great fast start from the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Thinking ahead, maybe Van Dijk will partner Konate against Palace at the weekend.

Smashing!

Perfect start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

YAEHHHHHH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Outstanding by Liverpool, what a start. Seriously impressive.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well win this 4 or 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement