Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Wasn't meant to be pissy but reading back on it I can absolutely see why you think that. Apologies, the fact I wasn't gonna click the link cos I wan't familiar with you wasn't meant as a slight on you but just as what I thought was reasonable justification for not clicking it. I was probably wrong on that given you have over 1k posts on the forum.

The second part was more a comment on how in general people just post nonsense on the internet and somehow it becomes incumbent on the person reading said nonsense to prove them wrong and how I personally don't sign up to that way of thinking. If something sounds ridiculous in a discussion forum or anywhere on the internet it usually is just wrong and I won't spend any time or energy bothering to debunk it.

None of this was actually really anything to do with you personally except for the fact that in this specific case it was you who read said nonsense, took it as fact, and posted in a discussion forum as fact which led to others believing it. It's exactly how the spread of misinformation works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

No offense, but anyone claiming to know what any club is paying a players is not being truthful. The player contracts are not available to view to confirm so anyone can post anything about our salaries and there is no way to know if it is true. I found a lot of these websites started with US sports contracts and it jut evolved to football, but the reporting of contracts are not the same between the sports so it is hard to have a discussion around something that we do not know is true.

So basically, we can have a discussion about salaries and mythical figures that people are being paid, but we cannot have a meaningful one as we do not know if any of the figures are accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Especially when it comes to lesser known players at clubs… there may sometimes be a bit of semi-accurate reportage around the superstars (though often ignoring the nuances of bonus's, image rights, etc), but when it comes to lads on academy contracts or low level depth players, the info just never gets put out there.

Just to back up my point, these are the wages according to published accounts for the clubs,

From this site,

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/a-spending-cap-in-the-premier-league

These are the listed wages for the clubs at the "big six" on the linked site that speculated on the wage of the players compared to the above wages from above,

Arsenal £156m vs £235m

Tottenham £142m vs £251m

Man City £191m vs £423m

Man Utd £209m vs £331m

Chelsea £175m vs £404m

Liverpool £157m vs £373m

There are huge discrepancies between these totals and I do not know hot to consolidate the differences. Do we pay our tea ladies so much more than they do at Arsenal seeing as our wages are apparently the same? Or do we pay our executives so much more than they do at Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

We pay a lot to agents if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nunez needs 90 minutes, and considering how Jota is stinking the place out, tomorrow could be his chance.

Alisson could play tomorrow, but choosing to sit it out, playing too many games, and this micro problem is an opportunity to be safe and to rest his body, while handing the gloves to Kelleher. If it was a CL Final he'd play, no need to risk it tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Fair enough, nothing personal. Spread of misinformation is a bit much though. This isn't a Russian troll farm trying to discredit Liverpool FC. It's a website that tracks sports salaries. Maybe you disagree with their figures, some of them have been widely quoted in the media. It's not disinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's not necessarily disinformation, but it is information presented by the website as fact, which in reality is anything but. Sportrac in particular has been taken apart so so many times over the years for throwing any old nonsense up just to fill in the blanks. As I mentioned above, there's perhaps some merit to reported wages for stars like Mo or Virg, but as soon as you're getting down the ranks (into the likes of Kelleher and Phillips, as the two mentioned here on the thread) there's literally zero legitimacy to their numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

How much of those figures are not core wages but include bonuses or even potential earnings similar to US style figures. Even City must have to include bonuses for title success. And as stated above, we along with clubs like Utd pay silly money for agents. As.you said, very hard to get a true reflection of wages.

I think the ultimate place the PL will reach is a wage cap, again US style. If players continue to wind down contracts, then transfer fees will continue to fall for the benefit of player wages to almost disappear. In effect, you can pay your top man 400k a week but everyone else has to make do with the rest of the pot. It evens the field so to speak. How that is reconciled with the rest of the EU, I'm not sure. What's buttons for one league is a vast amount for another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The premier league isn't in the EU so they can do as they please within the bounds of UK law. They should focus on protecting their own structure and offering before worrying about compliance with EUFA and it's competitions. It's getting pretty dull watching a state backed juggernaut take all the honours by (allegedly) cheating whilst others try and push them for a year or 3 before running out of steam. They should implement that wage cap immediately but they'll need to find some way of preventing backdoor payments for opening shopping centres in the Middle East etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ah I understand that but the PL doesn't exist without an eye on the other EU competitions like La Liga. So let's say they don't have a wage cap, and you then have a move of talented players away from PL. A wage cap won't be an issue for law as any player could potentially earn any amount up to the wage cap. It's player retention is the issue.

And that is where you run into trouble, seeing as our wages do not go down by that much even when we do not perform as expected. The example above was the season we finished outside of the top 4, which you expect would be a bonus achievement for the players and we did poorly in all cup competitions. So do we pay bonuses not on results but minutes? Or is our core wages high and we use the bonuses as an excuse? I don't know.

As for the agent fees, these are the reported agent fees per club for those six clubs I mentioned on my previous post from 1 February 2023 to 1 February 2024,

Arsenal - £24.7m

Tottenham - £19.7m

Man Utd - £34m

Man City - £60.6m

Chelsea - £75.1m

Liverpool - £31.5m

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-player-agent-fees-compared-28987089

What is interesting, City spent 260m euro in that time on transfers, we spent 170m euro on transfers according to Transfermarkt. So did the extra 90m euro double the agent fees? Or are we seeing the reported extra fees on the Haaland deal reflected there that is not reported in his transfer fee or his own wages?

What I will say, it will be interesting to see where our wages were for last season as we reportedly got rid of high earners in Fabinho, Firmino and Henderson along with Milner and replaced them with players on their first contracts so you expect savings.

If we are not able to sign Trent, Salah or Virgil to new contracts you should see our wages decrease even more next season which could open space for more players. We will just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd be inclined to not start Jota today.

Whether that means starting Gakpo or Nunez, I don't know. Gakpo deserves it more on form, but Slot seems to view him as a LW and not a CF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jota seems to need a good run of games before he starts firing. But when he does, he is undroppable unless he gets injured. I would persist with him for an hour.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nunez gets the nod ahead of Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Team

https://x.com/LFC/status/1837473122062422256

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kenny Cunningham draining my will to live already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If you squint really hard, you can see @Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement

Jota had to go, never thought I'd say that. Hopefully Nunez gets off the mark, needs it .

That could be a red,

Way off side

Started the game very poorly. Blessed not to be 1 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Konate with 2-3 shaky moments already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Why are they drawing lines for 2 minutes? You can see with your naked eye he is clearly offside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That's a bit better.

What a ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Finish wasn't there but better from Nunez, he needs to use his size more like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ah Diaz!.

Needs to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Magic

Just magic

Diaz top notch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tremendous finish by Diaz

What a first touch

Top drawer by Diaz. lovely goal.

OUTSTANDING assist for Konate.

Diaz

2-0

Proper, proper purple patch

Diaz again!!!!!!!!

And to think we all questioned his end product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Brilliant stuff diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Kepa doing great things..

Probably make me eat my words but seriously wtf..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is Premier Sports playing up for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Lol I'm miles behind

Great stuff

Yeah, most annoying and most unusual.

Kelleher being kept busy.

Nunez doing the hard donkey work is great to see. Crowd really respond to his efforts.

2-0 up but Bournemouth are doing plenty of attacking. Had a few half chances.

Much better by Robertson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We are giving up so many chances.

Nunez

Amazing !!

Great goal all round

NUNEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He really, really needed that. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Cracking finish nunez

• Advertisement
Advertisement