Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sancho looks a brilliant player but all young players need a good coach as well. He doesn't exactly have that at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'm happy utd signed Ronaldo and not city,he will do less damage at utd imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Ronaldo will no doubt score 35 goals but his team won't be all the better for it.

He is a world class goal scorer, his stats speak for themselves, but he has developed the art of goal hanging over last 4 or 5 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Keita and thiago out for Saturday at Brentford.

Fabinho, henderson and jones midfield for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Keita is a joke he's made of weetabix,

3 massive games over 8 days & we are left with Fab & Hendo + one of Jones,Milner ,OX

How in the world was Gini not replaced .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It's like some clubs just sign players to impress fans that they bought a 'Marquee' signing each summer without any thought. The idea of buying big is more important than anything else.

The notion that teams should sign a marquee player every summer is one of the stupidest things in football. I love seeing other clubs stuck with big players on high wages because of mindless acquisitions. Chelsea just wanted Werner because they thought we wanted him and they've beaten us to a few players over the years. Lampard didn't want him and spent 6 months wrecking Werner's confidence. Utd bought Sancho because he's the next best thing in England but then lost their minds when Ronaldo started making eyes at their neighbours.

Both are good players but every player needs to work in the team. Look at Barcelona as another bad example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

....... he doesn't have that St either club or national level, you're right.

He's a talent, but in the greater scheme of things working with Ole/Phelan isn't going to improve him, their philosophy seems very old fashioned [just go out and play]. Sancho is still relatively young and green at the tip level, could do with better guidance than he's getting, but in a way, who cares - long may it continue 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In fairness though, the lad Klopp seemed to see as his replacement in the squad had his ankle broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Elliott was his replacement

Keita is pathetic tbh. Kicked the grass and misses a match when the team really need him. Real bang of Sturridge of him and the complete opposite of a player like say Suarez who would have kept playing with a broken leg such was his level of commitment. I'd say Klopp's patience is wearing thin.

Surely Elliott was Shaq replacement like for like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It would seem not, given that Elliott played exclusively in centre midfield, and according to Klopp that's where he would have been playing throughout. Taki coming back seems more the Shaq replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thiago is out until after the International break says Klopp. Will miss the City game which is a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Really was a mistake not to have a replacement for Wijnaldum lined up. They knew there was an issue with his contract at least a year in advance. The replacements being Thiago or Elliott don't wash. They know Thiago had an injury record before buying him. Also they know that Keita and Ox won't last the season without injury either. Not to mention Fab and Hendo. I know the theory of it is 7/8 midfielders for 3 spots when all are fit, but that's never going to happen. Not even in October and it's an issue already. We're not learning!

The club never learn do they , everyone and there dog knew we needed another body in midfield giving the injury history of the players we have there,

If Fabhino or Henderson get injured or tired now in the next 2 games we are f*cked

Keita’s inability to stay fit is a continuing problem. And his agent’s tweets are ill advised, every time Naby seems to be hitting a bit of form, he gets injured, seems he just isn’t suited to the rigours of the premiership, after 3 yrs it is unlikely he going to acclimatise to it now. Time to cut our loses and send him on his way, which is a pity because I really do think he offers something very good to the team when he plays well.

Having so many aging/injury prone/out of sorts midfielders isn’t ideal.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Its nuts

Thiago,Hendo, Fab & Naby all have injury issues every season

Milner can't play two games in a row

Ox isn't good enough ,

Jones needs to step up now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What do you mean Jones needs to step up? Jones has never left anyone down since he broke into the team. And didn't you want him loaned out at the start of the season?

I'm not saying he ever let anyone down, when i say step up i mean be now relied upon for big games and an extended run in the first team

I thought we would bring in another robust CM & it looked as though Elliot was being favoured so in that case i would have liked Jones to have played regularly for a Premier league team,

I regard Jones highly i just feel he needs to be playing regularly & now he might get the chance so he fingers crossed he "steps up" & makes the most of it ,

I also called for Ox to be loaned if not Jones in that situation again so he could play regularly & get some form back , Very hard if your in one week and out for 3 or 4,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pain is not an injury, he kicked the grass and came off, Keita has no injury as far as Klopp knows, that's what he said.

Keita needs to man up. At this stage Klopp need to convert Firmino back into a midfielder, and buy a striker.

• Advertisement

Wonder if we will see the 4-2-3-1 against Man City with Bobby, Mane, Jota & Salah all starting? Anyways that's too far into the future yet as there is still Porto & Brentford to worry about.

I have a feeling that Milner will play against Porto to freshen up the midfield, and Ox will get a run I think. His best performance in the last 2 years came in the CL against Atletico so maybe he prefers the European stage. Possibly two of Bobby/Origi/Taki up front too in some sort of rotations. The break between Tuesday CL game and Man City Sunday is a nice break, but it's the gap between Saturday & Tuesday is a bit shorter so he might give players a chance of a rest here.

So working backwards from there, I would expect to see Trent, VVD, Robbo, Fabinho, Hendo, Jones, Salah, Jota, Mane all starting tomorrow. The 2nd CB spot seems to be up for grabs now. I'd lean towards Matip taking it back. Brentford are putting up some good defensive numbers so far this season, although they are yet to face a top 7 side. This game could prove to be tricky being away from home, but really is a game that needs to be won if you want to win back the title.

its so nice to have CB's & a left back we can swap in at ease now ,Shame its not the same in midfield,

Didn't we play 4 4 2 away to City last year Jota, Mane, Salah & Firmino all started with Hendo & Gini in CM ,

Only issues with that shape now is Fab doesn't have Gini's legs & is far better suited to holding the 6 centrally ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Would be slightly ironic if we end up having to play defenders in midfield this season after having to do the opposite last year

If we get to the point where Alison has to play up front, we’re sorted, just cross the ball in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah sure we can put TAA in midfield he's going to be a midfielder some day down the line 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

🤣 Rattled. I was rather hoping the new softer touch from refs would hurt them the most in this regard and seems it has. They'll have to re-invent how they dive. We barely get any pens as it is so nothings changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fight, fight fight fight.

The biggest pressure was around Christmas and at the beginning of January. One time, I don't remember who we played against. Maybe it was against Sunderland away.

"Klopp and James Milner almost started a physical fight. It was the period when there was Boxing Day in England and they almost started fighting but eventually Milner stepped back.

"We saw from his eyes that Klopp would have gone all the way just to prove his point. It was the most stressful time for him as well. He was under a lot of pressure.

"It was my first and Klopp's second year. What are you going to do? You're supposed to be a good coach. You are Jurgen Klopp who will make superstars of all players. The pressure started getting to him.

"It's not supposed to be easy, but if you don't deliver against a team like Sunderland, then you can forget about the places you had hoped for."

Sad that a manager like Ole isn't aware of the rule changes this season. WTF

Ronaldo getting a toe to the ball to deliberately kick it out of play, before the defender touches ball, is winning a penalty. Last year it was given, this season not the case. Winning penalties not going to happen this season, not as easy as '' who touched the ball'' like last season.

Stay on your feet, kicking the ball out of play, and going over the defender is a deliberate act. Up to now it was a penalty all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Firminio excluded from the Brazilian squad

Brilliant!

I'd say Klopp had a good laugh at that one!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Klopp mentioned Utd and penalties in January. Since then, Utd have had 5 penalties, Liverpool have had 2. Basically, Utd are still getting plenty of penalties but Ole is upset that they're now no longer getting an absurd amount, way above the mean.... going so far as blaming Klopp for it, even though there's been a very publicised rule-change this season.

Also, James Pearce tweeted this;

Liverpool in the Premier League under Klopp: 225 games, 7,192 touches in the opposition's box

Man Utd in the Premier League under Solskjær: 102 games, 2,641 touches in the opposition's box

Both 32 penalties awarded each.

Kaide Gordon was not involved with the u23s tonight, so he could be on the bench tomorrow for the senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, Untied get a penalty every three games and Ole claims it's not enough?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Exactly that. Every other team gets a pen, it they're lucky every 6 games. The real travesty is getting one every 2.8 games and thinking that's normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thoughts on this evening?

I wouldn't be taking Brentford for granted, a decent side with some good players. Hopefully we match up well with them in the crucial areas, they seem to use Toney a lot as a target, Matip and VVD should be match him physically. They'll also look to maximise set pieces, so we can't give away silly frees in our own half.

A big week really, this Champions League and then City, hopefully no more **** injuries either.

Not bad for the step up to U23. Futures bright

Been following his progress now for a while and he's and absolute stand out performer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A win this evening and we’re three points clear at the top. It’s never too early in the season to say that. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Gone top of the league before we even play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Back top without even kicking a ball. Love when that happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Between Tuchel's tinkering and Solskjaer being himself, Liverpool have gone top of the league on goal difference and now have a game in hand. It's a funny old game as they say. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hopefully Utd don't go crazy now and give ole the chop, he's doing a good job. He's even having an influence on refereeing decisions, after his comments yesterday Utd got a penalty.

Chelsea are us under Rafa, Great when they score first but struggle if the conceded first

The literally played the same way at home with 11 men today as they did when they went down to 10 at out place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He even had to deny rumours last season that he supported Liverpool growing up. Long may he reign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

That's not quite true. Benitez focused on neutralising the threat of the opposition and found ways to cause them problems.

Tuchel dismantled the part of his team that caused Man City problems in previous meetings. For whatever reason he decided to pack the midfield with Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic, none of them are link up options for Lukaku. Werner was chosen to start instead of Havertz. Neither Lukaku nor Werner can conjure goals from almost nothing, somebody has to provide the intelligent move or pass for them. That was the most passive Chelsea team performance I've seen in a long time.

But for Mendy, Man City could have won by at least 3 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im glad this Leeds team didnt show up against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It would be funny if after everything, it just goes back to a City v Liverpool title race.

Advertisement