Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Yes it was, but that doesn't satiate media outlets' need for a "controversial" and "dramatic" narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Have they given Salah what he wants yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So 7 games compared to last season

5 teams in PL still

Burnley at home +3

Chelsea at home +1

Leeds away + 2

Palace at home = 0

Man City at home + 1

Promoted teams V Relegated Teams

Norwich for Fulham + 2

Brentford for Sheff Utd - 2

Leaves a +7 for the season so far compared to last season

I swapped teams from 18th for 1st, 19th for 2nd and 20th for Play-off winner

Liverpool lost one and drew one to Fulham last season replaced with Norwich, drew one and won one V WBA, replaced with Watford and beat Sheff Utd twice replaced with Brentford.

Updated after yourdeadwright corrected the Fulham game last season was an away draw.

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We drew with Fulham away 1-1 so that's plus 2 not 3 , We lost to them at home ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Big question, but I'll ask it...

When does Salah, or can he ever, come into the conversation for best ever Liverpool player?

• Advertisement

He joined to late in life to be our best ever but he is one of the best ,

He won't score enough or win enough to be counted as the very best ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For me, he's already in the conversation at the very top. I've been saying that since last season too, for what it's worth.

Absolutely no reason he can't go on to be known as the greatest ever, if he's given a new long-term contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Was at the game yesterday. One of the best second halves i’ve ever witnessed. Salah’s goal was out of this world. Atmosphere was absolutely brilliant from start to finish. If Matip could pick a better pass from those ventures forward, it would be a potent weapon - very reminiscent of Hansen. Milner should’ve been subbed at h.t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If he wins the next 3 titles maybe. or another CL.

He'll be included in the best team now. But best player will be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mo's goal from every angle

VVD reaction at 01:39 is class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

I have to agree. I know this won't be a popular opinion but I think Pep is one of the most over rated managers to ever grace the game tbh. He took over Barca when they had possibly the best team the world has ever seen and won some stuff which I personally see as par, when you have the best squad in the world you should be winning everything. He took over Bayern as European champions and failed to win another. Then he took over city and has failed to win them one. Germany was a 1 horse race when he took over and he won some leagues there so again thats about par for me, actually its below par because they were european champions when he took over. At city he again had the best squad in the league at his disposal and unlimited funds to add to that, which he has used to keep them there. Did you know he has never won a champions league without Messi, possibly the best player to ever play the game, for example?

The way I see it he has never taken on an actual challenge and succeeded at it like Klopp for example. Klopp could do what Pep has done but Pep couldnt do what Klopp has done imo. Pep has only ever taken a job where the odds are firmly in his favour and hit about Par in all those job given the squads standing in the respective leagues when he has taken over and the spending power of that squad/team versus everyone else in his league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You know what, you could be right. If Klopp has one weakness, it's his tendency to get caught up in just watching a great game unfold rather than reacting to it in time, the equivalent of 'ball-watching' for a player. You can see him laugh/smile with the opposition management, almost like he's saying "this is great craic, isn't it?". Can't blame him sometimes certainly but by way of example I can never remember the likes of Ferguson actually enjoying a close-fought quality game on the touchline. I only remember him smiling whenever they were dominating games and 2 or 3 nil up.

Just a very slight criticism of course.... I love the guy!

Even with Milner not getting a second yellow yesterday Pep's city are still ahead of us in terms of decisions going there way against us in our matches versus eachother in the league. We still owe them another few so he can get all hystercial about it all he wants, he didnt seem to care so much when Kompany never got his red card against us or when Sterling scored the "most offside goal" I have ever seen (he was about 6 feet offside) against us so he can cry me a river today and I couldnt care less.

I could be wrong on this part but ill say it anyway (open to correction), that Kompany red card that he should have gotten against us was in the season we lost the title by a point was it not?

And if we're talking about City having decisions in their favour against us, and not necessarily Pep, then I'd point to the crazy offside decision against Sterling (when he played for us) against them at the Etihad in the Suarez season which was another pivotal moment in that season which ultimately meant the title went to City. They've had more than their fair share of decisions against Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Really need to get a replacement back-up to Trent. Milner is a midfielder, Gomez is a center half and Neco Williams is not trusted. Not easy as they would essentially be on the bench if Trent is available but would still play 10-15 games a season for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,493 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Was it only yesterday that we confirmed that Salah is world class. Strange that Klopp said '' if Messi scores that, or Ronaldo scores that it's world class, Salah is world class'' Eh Duh everyone at the club and else where knows Salah is world class.

What we've seen from Ronaldo this season is the ability to score when chances comes his way, which is great, goals win games, but I don't have Ronaldo in the top 4 players in the world currently.

I think it#s

Salah

Halaand

Mbappe

Lewandowski

Messi

Henderson '' I think we deserved to win''

Interviewer to Klopp ' I was talking to Henderson, he thinks Liverpool should have won''

Klopp '' I have a brain, I can't forget first half, draw is fair result''

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Their second goal came from the same left hand side, but I am pretty sure de Bruyne played the ball out wide then ran past Jones in midfield and wasn't tracked. Hope I'm not being too harsh cause I'm struggling to find a decent angle on the replay, but even though that's not his game he should be tracking those runs from midfield when it's obvious we're getting countered.

Thought he had a pretty poor day yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good, I'm happy I could remind you of another fantastic goal in world football. Doesn't take away from the fact that a sh1t pass would have meant there was no goal.

• Advertisement

Yes that is what Hector said, it was all about the pass. 😏

I agree first and second goal both summed up Jones game for me,

First goal, he was standing off Silva who passed to KDB he couldn't quite get to KDB who played then played ball to Jesus , Jones then just couldn't get to Jesus,

Second goal he just didn't get to KDB who played the ball to Foden & then just didn't track him good enough and KDB score,

He was like a dog chasing car's, he gets close but just not close enough then turns to chase the next one and its the same story,

Plenty of effort from him but just was in no mans land caught between City players for most of the game,

On the ball he wasn't much better at all and literally just ran into players a number of times,

I think a player Gini was a huge miss yesterday , as he would see what was happing and instead of chasing a man he can't get to he would position himself so the pass can't be made and City have to go back .

Iv said it for weeks Jones is fantastic on the ball but very poor tactically off the ball ,

To be fair to Hendo, his angle was that while leading with 10 minutes left, you should hold on for the win. Klopp was talking about the game as a whole.

This is the problem with people using assists as some kind of merit of a good performance or in judging someone's creativity

The lads at Barcelona used to play a simple 2 yard pass at the half way line to Messi and it would result in an assist & then you'd have lads like Trent playing a majestic inch perfect 30 yard curling pass that takes a keeper & a defender out of the game & the forwards misses and they get nothing ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Pep is a wonderful tactician but a poor coach. When he has the players available he can create frighteningly good sides-his Barcelona team will be rightly considered one of the greatest club sides ever, and his City team is unreal at times, and will take some beating this season even without a recognised striker. Bayern is his weakest stint but they were an amazing side that won everything before he joined so I suppose the only way there was down.

But you only get Pep when you can afford to get the players he needs to be successful. He doesn’t look at players in terms of improvement, just in terms of whether they can do what he needs or not. If they can’t, they’ll be out the door while a replacement comes in. This approach means there’s very few clubs in the world that suit him, and it’s also why his failure to win a CL since his Barca days is more pronounced-every club that can afford him and his budget are big enough to be successful without him.

To me this is why Klopp is better. He’s more likely to make your club and players better than they were before he came in, and doesn’t need billions to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That is interesting. Sounded very dead at times on the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Depends how much you consider longevity when weighing it up. For me he is in my lifetime the best player the club has had and if any player deserves us breaking our wage structure for it is him.

So no Becker or Fab for the Watford game , think the Brazil game is like 0100 GMT Friday & the Watford is 12:30 on Saturday

I doubt Thiago will be back so fingers crossed Henderson doesn't get much time for England,

Couldn't agree more. Chances created or something like that would be a better metric to judge players on. Someone like St Maximin for example creates 5 or 6 guilt edged chances per game but his current team mates are invariably too inept to finish those chances and give him the assists/ credit he deserves imo.

Again couldn't agree more. Pep is a fantastic manager, we all know this, but for the last decade or so I'm constantly being told he is the best manager of all time. Shouldn't you have slightly more to your bow than making already brilliant teams a bit better to be considered the greatest of all time?

Where is his example of bringing a 2nd tier team up to the first tier on a shoe string budget and making them competitive there? Or his example of taking sleeping giants back to the very upper echelons of world football, again on a moderate budget? Instead he just takes the best teams in their leagues at the time, spends 100's of millions acquiring the best players in the world in their position to play in his team and if it doesnt work out he just spends 100's more millions to upgrade on those. It's like he avoids really tough challenges at all costs and will only manage a team when the odds are heavily in his favour, hardly the hallmark of the "best ever in his field".

The fact that he has never won a champion's league without Messi in his team is another huge blot in his copybook for me, especially after manager's like Tuchel and even Roberto Di Matteo have managed to do just that less than a year into their reigns.

Better than Suarez? It took me a long time to admit that Suarez was in fact better than Torres for us and it's gonna take me a while to admit Salah is better than Suarez too I'm afraid. Maybe matching his solo record of 32 league goals again this year on our way to the title again would do it. ☺️

• Advertisement

This is so annoying! Especially when you factor in neither of them will even start for brazil most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was thinking Salah and his agent might be holding up the contract themselves till next summer to see what the transfer market landscape is like to use for better negotiations.

I do think 300k even 350k a week is easily done without smashing the wage structure to badly and then add in bonuses take could double that over the course of the season with goal, assist and trophies payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If its not done by Christmas it won't be done,

Basically if he doesn't sign before Christmas its over money and then with 18 months to go other teams would blow us out of the water wage wise,

We are a bit lucky that currently Madrid & Barcelona look like awful destination ,

I think it'll be done next month ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Grealish is on 350k a week apparently, he is well in his right to look for atleast that if not more in bonuses. The club maybe thinking lets get 2 more years out of him and let him go on a free, that will be the best of him we've gotten. Given the way he looks after himself and will still only be 31 then, it would be bad business letting him run it down, he will still be one of the top players in the world then.

We should go big to sign Franck Kessie in Jan. Maybe send Keita the other way.

• Advertisement

Give him a new 5 year deal brings him up to 34 he will still be flying ,

He looks after himself & he's abit of a late starter i think he was 23/24 before he put in a 40 games season (barring one very early on at Basel )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Miguel Delaney was saying Salah apparently wants similar to KDB which is fair enough and is in the £350-£400k a week range. The club can do that financially and if they don't do it you'll see a hell of a backlash from the fans.

Scores for fun, never injured, runs himself into the ground every game, he's a superstar. Give him the money. The cost to replace him will be a lot more than the cost of the additional wages over 4-5 years. All the players know he's the man, they won't care that he's the highest paid, they'd rather him in the team than gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anyone else disappointed with Henderson's form this season?

Slight change of topic.. Salah is on another level to KDB this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He has, but to be fair to De Bruyne, Mo had a full rest and preseason while De Bruyne was rushed back from injury to play at the Euros, where he picked up a few more knocks. No way he'd have played that Italy match under normal circumstances, but they threw him in since it was the quarter finals. Think he'll need another month or so to get properly up to speed.

Which in itself is a major benefit to Mo - so rarely gets injured, while other brilliant talents like De Bruyne spend a fair bit of time unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

His injury record is nuts, when you consider he plays pretty every league, CL and international game and he's rarely brought off, and take into account how explosive he is. How he avoids muscle strains is unbelievable, he's missed three games since coming to Liverpool through injury, one for his ankle, one for a concussion and one due to covid. Shows how well he looks after himself and it's what the best players do now, always available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Can't seem to find the tickets forum anymore.. What's a safe website these days to buy tickets? TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

This. I think he's been way below par this season.

On Salah he should be given whatever he wants (within reason) matching kdb wages seems like sensible business.

I understood FSG’s concern about impact on wage structure if they gave him the €500k that was being mooted a couple of weeks ago, now I am certain that if it is €400k he wants, they better pay him, quickly. If he leaves, FSG are even more fucked than the team are.

Salah in 4 years at 33 years old, will be valued at 60m , so what ever wages he wants you'll get back, it's not rocket science.

Pay the man, Juve paid 100m for Ronaldo at 33 years old, and Salah is in same mold, I have no doubt whatsoever Salah will still be in his prime at 33. Primes last longer these days in football, it used to be 25-29 years ago, now it's 24-34 or higher for real pros who take care of themselves.

Jones needs to learn to take his yellows like Milner knows how to, like a Roy Keane know how to, Roy would take a red to get a team reaction. For City's first Jesus picks up the ball pretty deep, and Jones is running back towards him, but then he just braces himself, puts his hands up '' after you good sir'' and lets Jesus carry on, plus Jones hinders Fabinho who was coming over to deal with Jesus, it ends up both do nothing, very messy moment that led to their first.

Just take him the fck out.

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Noticed this too. The crowd sounded awful flat on TV but each of the players made specific praise for the atmosphere, as did a lot of people at the game.

I know that Sky have the ability to change crowd volume levels, and do noticeably do it for certain chants etc but it seemed like overkill on Sunday maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Someone mentioned during the match that the NBC coverage seemed to present a much better atmosphere alright, so I'd say it's just Sky messing up the sound a bit. God knows why though - inviting us into that atmosphere via the sound mix should be top of their priorities.

If you think Jones only positive contribution to the game was the Salah assist then you should really watch the game back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement