Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Apologies if a repost but just saw this - amazing - Slow Mo Mo

https://twitter.com/vicosalama/status/1449680741315526659?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I created a similar table after ~5 games of the season, and was asked to do it again after 10 games so here it is. The midfielders ranked based on the amount of playing time.

Injuries having a big impact on Thiago & Elliot's minutes but I'm surprised that Henderson is so high. Fabinho almost ever present too, and has only missed 2 games through extenuating circumstances. I would expect Thiago to start rising up the list once he is fit again.

I've only included Milner's minutes played in midfield. He has more minutes played at RB than he has in midfield this season. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Henderson's minutes have been inflated due to the injury of Harvey Elliott, he has been ever present since. I think after the Atletico and Man Utd games he'll sit out the next two games against Preston and Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

But Rodgers was actually right. He had Balotelli forced on him ffs. I back Rodgers in that argument 110%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He is also saying that it was ok for the transfer committee (or management) to effectively undermine the manager, by not getting his approval on signings - another perspective. Of course Rodgers was always going to complain about that - better to fight it then meekly rollover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's defo calling for a pass you can tell by the way he moves his hands , he see's he is completely free and is hoping Salah can some how get him the ball,

I know VVD does the hands up before we score but Millie isn't built like that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

i wonder will anyone get a rest tomorrow with United game the weekend

Jota will probably start, maybe one of GOmez/Konate, Tsimakas,

Midfield will be interesting because think that where we beat United but we are low on numbers so might be hard to keep them fresh,

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Firmino looks more threatening when he isn't nailed on first XI every week too. Only 3 goals away from last seasons total already. 6 in 7 for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I would be inclined to rotate tomorrow and use as a chance to get some players more game time. The fact that you can have 5 subs means that you could bring on some of the big guns after an hour if things are not going well. We can live with a draw or even a loss in Madrid. Want to be at our best going to Old Trafford next weekend.

Be interesting to see the build up to the game. Reminds me of 2 years ago when we went there after the international break. Everyone was expecting us to hammer them but we weren't at our best. They still needed VAR to ignore a foul on Origi for their goal. The pressure is on Ole and they will be up for it. Need a strong ref if there's one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No way, full strength, get this group done as quick as possible. There is 3 difficult games left in this group yet. AM represent a challenge as tough as anything we will face this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

go full strength tomorrow and win, that'll have us basically nearly qualified, im going to the Milan away fixture and I've a feeling we'll have a 2nd string out as we'll be through by then, ah well !

Curtis Jones is back in training anyways but no Thiago. One more midfield option for tomorrow at least, to ease some of the burden.

Fabinho, Hendo and one other then. I think Ox and his directness just might get a start. Not really deserved on merit but I think his directness might just be beneficial against a well drilled outfit in Ateltico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ox had a good cameo at the weekend as well, be nice to give him a chance to build on that, if not with a start then at least with another substantial sub appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool coming to town and Utd fans ready to protest I see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How many times have we said that over the last number of years? Ox is not building on anything - that is very clear at this stage.

True enough, but also how many times does he come on, show a bit of something, and then disappear for months on end. If we've any intention of him being a part of the team, then now's the time to play him for at least 20 or 30 minutes regularly.

He made appearances in 2 consecutive league matches only 3 times last year - and on none of those occasions were both appearances more than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With regards to Salah's contract I am sure the club are looking at the data around long term fitness etc Salah from now till the end of his contract will more than likely play non stop football at the very highest level.

The non stop football two full years pretty much with two Premier League seasons with an African Nations and Cup qualifiers and maybe the World Cup in the middle of both those Premier League seasons.

The one thing the club has been really good at since Klopp came in was letting players go at the right time just before they burn out.

He without a shadow of a doubt deserves to be the best paid player at the club.

Christmas Schedule

Thursday 16 December

20:00 Liverpool v Newcastle (BT Sport)

Sunday 19 December

16:30 Spurs v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Sunday 26 December

12:30 Liverpool v Leeds (BT Sport)

Tuesday 28 December

20:00 Leicester v Liverpool (Amazon Prime)

Sunday 2 January

16:30 Chelsea v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I would feel sympathy for United fans about the Glazers if their protests were year round and sustained at every match and not just when it suited them. Any excuse to mess with Liverpool I suppose.

• Advertisement

In fairness it does seem like these reports are just Sky Sports drumming up news from nothing. Apparently there's not actually any move towards protest this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m sure a few hundred/thousand idiots will still show up causing mayhem just based on the headline that there was going to be a protest. They won’t actually be proper Man United fans though, is the thing.

Looks like Salah's agent is talking to some of the press , Mo wants to sign a new contract and is looking for £400k a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Sunday is a tough one, obviously you want to rip United to bits anytime we play them, but is there any way we can win clean but also have Solskjaer to come away with credit?

Have a feeling we will thump them and it will be the catalyst for sacking him and then they start the process of actually getting things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i wonder, did joining us,under klopp, make mo what he is, our system is perfect for him, would he be such a player had he joined a different club,playing a different system? i think it was us that made him,and if he moves it may be very different for him,may never reach these heights with someone else, like hazard for example.

Will it though, they've had 4 managers in 9 seasons since Fergie left, who says they get 5th time lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well sacking Ole is certaonly step 1 in the process of "getting things right" for them imo. Obviously they could still mess up step 2 but they can't get to step 2 without first taking step 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A blatantly incorrect red card for Fred after 5 minutes, followed by a 4-0 tonking with a few offside goals, would see more "We wuz robbed" rather than "Ole Out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's rare to go there and trash United. It's more likely we lose, these games are levelers, doesn't matter one bit that Leicester whipped United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Or could be even worse! They could get beaten by Atalanta and Ole is gone on Thursday morning with Ronaldo taking over as player/coach, hiring a back room staff of Scholes, Rooney and Giggsys sister in law, they get the new manager bounce and we get spanked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If they landed Conte I think he would turn them around with that squad. Maybe it would only last 2 seasons as he tends to fall out with owners but in the meantime he tends to win trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

It’s the standard stuff of recent times. United in a low block looking to break fast. They will gladly give up possession to maintain shape. Rashford to start lining up against Trent hoping to isolate him.

if Liverpool score early it could be a day beating. The longer it goes scoreless the better for United.

personally, United hitting the woodwork about 4 times and Liverpool scoring an offside goal while being played off the park would be ideal.

Getting way too much enjoyment from ole’s “tactics” and press conferences. I honestly cannot remember a manager being so terribly out of their depth in history. It’s tremendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Said the same earlier. We need to shoulder the ire of utd fans after the game, keep their attention off Ole. He needs to be able to say how great they played but were robbed.

Saying that, not sure who'd get the job next. Steve bruce could be available soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Roy Keane, Giggs and the Neville brothers are all available (or will be soon, in Phil’s case). Why not give it to another club legend and let the party roll on? Steve Bruce is over-qualified despite being a former United player.

It's a very unbalanced squad I don't see how conte would be suited unless they rip up the squad and spend another fortune. He will cause too many problems for the owners there too ala Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

They have a pretty good squad and a very good first team with the right coach/manager. Someone like Conte would happily drop the non performers.

It's a massive club with a huge self sufficient income. They can write blank cheques for superstars. The right manager would have them competing within next season after 2 transfer windows.

Someone put together the goals scored by Bobby, Mane & Salah in the first 11 games the last 5 seasons of all 3 of them playing together.

Are they just peaking now?

2017/18 - 13 goals

2018/19 - 10 goals

2019/20 - 13 goals

2020/21 - 12 goals

2021/22 - 22 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

" I honestly cannot remember a manager being so terribly out of their depth in history."

You cannot remember David Moyes at United? 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The problem for United, they have Ronaldo who is still scoring goals. He offers little other than scoring goals, so unless Conte can get the team to play for Ronaldo - Juventus learned that is a disaster so doing this is not guaranteed to succeed - or he drops him it will be a problem.

If he does drop Ronaldo, then he needs to win every game without Ronaldo as any lost points without him will invite questions on why Ronaldo isn't playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Could see Klopp starting Origi tonight, though I've no idea who he'd drop - Mane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Curtis Jones remained in Liverpool so the midfield options are Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Milner. It has to be the first three who start, introduce Milner / Oxlade-Chamberlain later.

I was thinking that Tsimikas could be a good option on the left from a creativity perspective, I doubt he'll start but if we are looking for a creative balance to stretch them and give Simeone something to think about other than nullifying Alexander-Arnold then he's a more creative option than Robertson. It's a tactical change that could be made given the option of five substitutes.

The game isn't a must win by any means, but I'd like us to score at least one goal. It's something we have failed to do away to Real Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona in the competition in the last few seasons. Doing everything but score will be more of the same, if we create chances then we need to make them count that for me will be a sign that this team hasn't actually plateaued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

There's probably some of the Liverpool fans that started supporting the club in 2018/2019 who don't even know Hodgson was the manager at Anfield not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ole is worse imo. At least Moyes had the excuse of following on from SAF and inheriting an ageing squad. The current United team are playing as bad now as they have ever played under OGS and the team is chock full of his signings. If Moyes or any manager was given the squad that OGS was given, and backed to the tune of £400m in the transfer market, I genuinely do not believe we would be any worse off than we are now.

Id be looking to rotate the midfield tonight ,

if there's one thing you know your facing against Simone's Madrid its hard work ,I want a fresh midfield on Sunday ,

A lose tonight is no where near as damaging as a lose on Sunday ,

I suppose in saying that Sunday is probably far enough away for the lads to recover,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good job of nullifying the point of your post there.

Ye only dawned on me the game is a bt away,

Still I'm sure the staff are looking at players work loads & will make the call based on that,

I firmly believe we beat United by controlling midfield,

Shame Thaigo won't make it he was majestic there last season & got very little credit for it ,

Fabinho will start anyways you would expect, so that's one piece of rotation. Maybe Jota starts too, in place of Mane possibly for freshness, and Konate/Gomez.

I wouldn't be unhappy with those 3 changes and maybe another midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anthony Taylor the ref for Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

This should put the mockers on Sunday!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement