Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's not like this performance tonight has been a regular one. It was a once off. He's had some very good games this season, some brilliant, some average and tonight's disaster. Inconsistent. But while his overall combined levels are lower than usual, it's still a very high level.

Maybe the consistency is what the problem is. Playing a lot of games back to back. He played a few in the international break and then Saturday and again tonight. Previously Klopp was able to rest VVD, or take him out of the side when needed. He didn't play the Milan game or the league cup midweek games and gave VVD a little breather to help ease him back in.

VVD will play Man United but then have midweek off again for league cup the week after. Because of the way the group is playing out, there is an opportunity to rest him in more of the group stage games going forward too. Build up his sharpness and consistency over time without being over worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When ref went to monitor he was looking at every replay except the one that showed it clearly that Jota pushed him over, I was like , please don't show that angle, please don't show that angle, and they didn't. We Woz Lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That must come from mid-field . They easily played through mid-field and a simple ball over the top left a 1on1.

If you want lb and rb up the pitch you need to shore up the middle route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely the right call, it's a dive. Amazing quality the atletico players have to call for a foul while falling to the ground. Jota made slight contact but not enough to be tumbling mid air.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Ronnie is a grade A p*ick whenever he's commentating on Liverpool on RTE. So negative it's unreal.

Stick him on LFC TV (as I've seen him appear many a time) and he quickly goes into arse kissing mode. Loved him as a player but he's so negative about everything how he still gets the RTE gig is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Speaking of why someone would hate Atletico, the whole booing the knee act at the start of the game isn't a great look either. The kind of thing that gets lots of press when it's an Eastern European minnow doing it but will have very little mention after tonight when it's a big name club.

Also I really can't figure out how this isn't offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If we can beat Atletico at Anfield we wrap up qualification and maybe even top spot depending on Porto's result against Milan. Would leave the final two group games as dead rubbers essentially. Might come in handy during a busy schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Chelsea tried to sign him in 2018 but were put off by the price quoted. Kepa was the cheaper option at £71.5M! 😜

Klopp was really chilled in the post match interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I can respect them and also recognise that the theatrics, gamesmanship and often borderline violence, is not a good look.

Simeone not shaking Klopp's hand, and Klopp having to protect him by saying they'll shake afterwards shows the class difference between the two.

if you take the excessive dark arts away, i love watching them play. their football from 2-0 down, and even while they had 10 men, was more than admirable. the press is insane, and some of the quality from the likes of Carrasco and Griezmann in particular was just lovely.

but i can't completely separate that from some of the absolutely horrible nonsense they also get up to. Trippier winking at Milner after he and the Atletico team tried to get him sent off for nothing. the general constant haranguing of officials (which, along with the frenzied stadium, bought the penalty until it was overturned). the time wasting. it's all horrible to watch.

i'm all for a little shíthousery. it's part of the game, and that's fine. but the extent to which they take it just puts them over the edge into 'horrible club' status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Great win last night. Just echoing other people's comments on VVD.

Hopefully its just down to lack of match fitness etc. and hopefully the more he plays the more he gets back to the old Van Dijk.

I certainly wouldn't be dropping him, I still think his presence on the pitch is enough to keep the back 4 stable. Unfortunately for Van Dijk, he set some of the highest standards for a CB that any drop in form would be noticed.

Once we have Fabinho in front of him and Allison behind in the big matches we will win more than we lose. IMO.

Allison was class last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think VVD needs a break for sure. He’s still not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Won't play till Sunday, (which hopefully will be 90 mins of light training), then won't play in the league cup. Games nicely spread out. Beating AM puts Liverpool comfortably at the top of the table. A win at Anfield really should confirm top spot without VVD having to play in Europe till Feb. Liverpool are in a great position right now. Getting Jones and Thiago back fit will take pressure off the midfield and if Elliott is back in Feb all the better.

Now watch Man Utd thump Liverpool 4-0 to remove all positivity here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Firstly great result & hardest group game done

A few on here where calling for a few changes to the 11 yesterday morning and they where right we looked nackered last night ,

Not singing a midfielder is going to catch up with us in winter if Hendo or Fab get injured we are in trouble, Thiago is our only midfielder at there level but never fit ,We need a new CM on the 1st of January

VVD looked jaded he really did even watching him when the ball was up the other end he just looked sluggish ,I think Klopp only played himself & Matip because it was Madrid away i expect more rotation now in the rest of the Champion league games,

Only 2 days between games killed us VVD( injury ) Milner(age) Trent (only back) ,Keita (5 games in 14 days) Firmino( only back) all suffered out there last night, Even when Jota came on he looked like he was running in mud but again he's been injured,

Lets all not forget Madrid are super team & to beat them away while playing poorly shows how far we have come,

Would i be right in saying a draw in our next game would be enough to go through because Madrid & Porto have to play each other ?

another 3 goals away ,

We need the 4 day break now badly for United ,

• Advertisement

Mane has been really poor in the big games this season, Chelsea, City and Atletico. Just wasn't at the races at all. However, if he can continue to put away chances against lesser sides like he has been then its not too bad I suppose.

He'll sit out the cup game against Preston next week and possibly the final two CL group games. Konate and Gomez are going to need minutes as they have both only started two games this season. Klopp's problem is that Van Dijk wants to play every game and makes himself available to do so. Klopp needs to not worry about upsetting Van Dijk by giving him a rest when required.

I wonder what was the idea of playing Naby on the right side & not Milner,

Normally Naby plays left & Milner right so why did he switch them last night ? & we know with Mo & Trent the right side can be open , what was Klopps thinking there anyone any idea's

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Great win last night even if not the best performance. We certainly got the rub of the green this time. Its a very hostile stadium and if we marvel at how the Anfield atmosphere can affect even the best of players at time we have to accept that similar atmospheres can even unsettle some of our players every now and then.

Plenty to admire about Atletico and Simeone but it is absolutely so satisfying to beat them especially after their antics. They way the gathered around Salah when he was preparing to take the peno, one after another coming up to put him off, was amazing. I'm not quite sure if I was feeling absolute rage or a bit of admiration at the sh*thousery, probably a bit of both. Never as delighted as to see Mo tuck it away as calmly as he did and stick it to them. Ref deserves a bit of credit too, their penalty certainly was dubious but I didnt expect him to over turn it especially after the sending off.

Whilst Griezmann probably had to be sent off by the letter of the law, I think it is harsh. I know we had a similar one with mane against City a couple of seasons ago but I think it is different because Mane made a split second choice to go in for a 50:50. He took the chance knowing that if he didnt get there he was in trouble. Ederson got there first and so Mane had to go. Griezzman didnt even know Firmino was there and I think a bit of common sense should prevail in those circumstances. A slice of luck for us though and he will also be a big loss for them in the next game at Anfield.

It was strange that Fabinho didnt start but I can only assume it was down to a fitness issue. Keita is just a seemingly never ending circle of frustration. It is very annoying because you know that there is a very very good player in there but for every one step forward you just know he will end up 2 steps backs down the line. Rinse and repeat. Its hard to see him with a long term future in the club which is a shame.

I actually though Ox made a bit of a difference last night and brought a lot of energy and work rate. Hopefully he can push on because at the minute I put him in the same category as Keita.

Cant see too many changes for the weekend, Fab will surely come back in, just depends will it be for Milner or Keita. Then Jota or Bobby is the only other decision. Certainly agree that it would be good to still have Gini around.

To be fair he scored v City & he would have scored v Chelsea if wasn't for James hand ball ,

Chelsea game Hendo played left mid & played poorly which effected Robbo attacking wise

City game Jones played left mid & played poorly which again effected Robbo attacking wise

Mane needs Robbo flying outside to open up the space for him ,when he is not it effects Mane's effect on games ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

what's a gambling problem got to do with anything?? F**k sakes

Few key players still aren't at the races still, understandably VVD but Robertson and Hendo look knackered.

My opinion is the same from the start of the season, its a tired squad as a whole but there is so much quality still that will keep us competing and then injuries will be the deciding factor on what we win.

It probably won't happen but getting a quality midfielder in the winter window could really help us in the business end of the season. We are hugely dependent on Fabinho.

Midfeilder is key we need to protect Fab & Hendo as much as we can, We are already starting to see the gap Gini left, He was robust & good in big games,

I think last night if it was nay other group game players would have been rotated but because it was away to Madrid we went full strength,

I'd imagine after United we will see, Konate,Gomez, Tsimakas much more, Plus Thiago & Jota should be back fit and firing ,

Thought TAA was very poor last night, the good european level teams seem to have him sussed, Real Madrid did the same last season and had him operating as pretty much a right full back. When you pin him back and make him defend he is really uncomfortable.

Obviously his attacking prowess makes him a dangerous player, but he really needs to improve his defending particularly his positioning and one on one's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Never mind Simeone some muppet elbowed Klopp's hand away when he went went for a handshake. For supposed hard men they don't half come across as little bitches.

The ref was lenient with Suarez too who kept mouthing long after the yellow.was given.

You make decent points but over look something in both games Naby Keita had absolute stinkers in front of him & was subbed at half time in both actually did he even make it to half time in the real one ?

Once he was removed in both games all of a sudden Trent coped much better ,

I can't edit replies but to those saying Grizeman was harshly dealt with are wrong imo. It was a red all day long. Intent isn't an issue, endangering an opponent is.

Did Simone say anything interesting in his post match presser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Exactly. It had nothing to do with the topic and just comes across as a pathetic attempt to shame someone about their addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The original poster was probably alluding to frustration on Hamanns part, having missed out on the cash cow of Premier league and now having to work while team mates are retired cos they didn't lose their savings on gambling. No need to be so offended on others behalf, I'm sure Didi is not feeling shamed but if he is, he will let us know about it not you.

WTF has his personal life got to do with his commentary? And why would anyone defend a post relating to addiction being used as a means of attacking that commentary?

I think you're being unfair to Keita. In one of the post match interviews last night, Klopp made the point that our players had played a lot of minutes recently over the international break and again at the weekend. He mentioned that Naby had played three games for Guinea and again at the weekend. He wanted to play Fabinho but knew he couldn't play the full 90 so Keita being replaced at half time was part of the plan. Keita scored an amazing goal and tired as the half went on, that affected him in a key moment and Atletico benefited but there was a box full of players the ball had to pass twice in order for Griezmann to score. Klopp stressed the point that Keita wasn't substituted because of how he had played. Atletico had a free weekend to recover from the international break and Klopp expected them to get stronger as the game progressed that's why he wanted Fabinho for the second half.

I'm a fan of Naby but he was very bipolar last night. Great in possession, pressing well for 20 mins, scored a cracker but then he was absolutely shocking in everything for 25 mins. Weak and shirked the fight. I don't think that there is always a need to pile-on defenders when a quality attacker beats them 1v1, sometimes you just have to applaud the attacker. But Naby gets done for both goals, that's a bit of a trend there so he is going to get stick. He deserved to get hauled off at HT IMO as I think he was worse in those 25 mins last night than he was against Real IMO overall.

Hendo & Milner didn't exactly cover themselves in glory during those 25 mins either tbf, and Hendo especially gave the ball away a few times in dangerous positions. At least one of their chances came from this. But Hendo & Milner also played well in the opening period and have much more credit in the bank than Keita does so were trusted to right their wrongs in the 2nd half. Fabinho was needed and he just brings that calming presence.

Rightly or wrongly, he is getting singled out. There was plenty of below-par or bad performances across the 11 last night. Keita won't play the Man Utd game now anyways I would say. He might even have a 'niggle' just to save his blushes perhaps.

Can't understand anyone having a problem with that red, its football not Taekwon-do. Griezmann has no business having his foot that high regardless of intent

I've only seen the two quotes from him that were posted on the UEFA website.

"It was a tough game against a great side, and they normally score a lot of goals in their games. We didn’t start as we wanted to, but after they scored their second, things started to go better for us and we had enough chances to go ahead. We had the best chance of the second half, but their keeper made a top save."

"They started with great intensity and scored with their first two efforts. But after that we started to win our battles, position ourselves better and do them harm. We made them defend like they rarely have to in other games."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Go for a win and with a Milan win it would put Madrid under pressure to get 2nd, that would be best set of results and would leave Liverpool through and top of the group with 2 games to go. Means the game in Milan is a dead rubber as well. Liverpool have 8 games in December, 9 if they beat PNE next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Liverpool need to invest in the squad, or get used to playing for 4th. Regardless of whoever Newcastle sign, they'll never be able to use their money to field 13 players against our 11, or use their money to buy outside of transfer windows, and they'll only ever have players who came for the money. So when the chips are down, ie 0-3 down to Barca, they'll never have the will to do it for the club, the fans, like Liverpool have.

Can't see them staying up regardless. Unless they give Spurs the 160m pounds for Kane in Jan, but would Kane go there, even for 450k a week??

So to sum up:

Liverpool need to start spending way more money because Newcastle aren't going to benefit from spending way more money..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Can you ask about tickets in this thread or should I be doing it somewhere else?

I have no contacts to get Pool tickets and I am trying to plan a trip over for next April.

In terms of hospitality as I guess that is my only option, has anyone used a company before and how did they find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

He actually came across as quite normal and accepting of the defeat ( although I watched the interview on YouTube with Google translate which isn't perfect) . I honestly expected a Jose Mourino style interview, blaming the officials ,the ball ,the grass etc etc

There are certain games in which we should be more open to taking a pragmatic approach I think, games where attacking opposition are of a higher quality. These are games that literally force TAA into being a defender and his forays into opposition territory are pretty minimal. Last night was one of these and he looks like a fish out of water. The amount of times Atletico hit long diagonal balls to his corner and he never challenged them, allowed the attacker to control and run at him, was crazy.

There is no doubting his attacking prowess, but he is suspect defensively. The really top sides shut him off as an attacking outlet so he really needs to start developing the defensive side of his game, be more aggressive and astute in his one on ones. Gomez is a decent option, obviously he is square peg in a round hole but he will be more averse to risk in big games from a defensive standpoint than Trent and he has excellent recovery pace aswell.

Not championing TAA being dropped, but there are horses for courses sometimes. TAA had some howlers in the champions league particularly against Real Madrid that cannot be laid solely at Keita's door.

Keita doesn't offer nearly enough to justify keeping him around, he's got a great strike in him every now and then but a wondergoal is still just worth 1 goal, and averaging 1 goal every 10 games while offering less than zero presence defensively in a midfield unit that requires 3 workhorses just doesn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I think you need Hendo's energy on the right side with Trent and Salah. Keita should be played on the left. Other clubs need to decide how to attack us and they usually go down our right side to try to exploit our trade-off with Tent attacking and to avoid VVD. We need to compensate by having Henderson on that side or Milner if needed.

Keita seems to be misunderstood by our fan base,

He has the second most tackles in our team this season, He is not an attacking midfielder people believe he is , He excels at pressing & interception when he is on it,

On form he is the best of our options either side of Fab, The big issue with Naby is when he is tired or not match fit he has a real stinker like last night,

I think his biggest issues is he can't get a good run going and when he does for the first time he is tired because he hasn't done it in so long ,

• Advertisement

Its strange because everyone knows this but Klopp has shifted Hendo to left for Elliot against Chelsea

Last night he shifts Milner to the left for Naby , There must be a reason why he sometimes takes what we all see as our most protective player out of the right side,

Personally i watched Trent a lot lately off the ball & he seems to be infield more almost steps into that position we are calling Milner & Hendo to play in ,with the RCM taking up a wide position right near the touch line and high & Mo coming inside,

We are no doubt taking up slightly different position than last season but its looks tactically and not just something that's happing , lets not forget thats the 7th away game we have scored 3 or more goals,

I love Matip he is class but i wonder with Trent being high would we be better with a quicker RCB ?

Also we say Trent is getting "caught " but he is being asked to play much higher Klopp knows he won't get back every time ,

Put your house on Ole starting Rashford on Trent's side Sunday

Trent is actually really good at intercepting the ball back high up the pitch and winning it from there. Front foot defending, if you must give it a term. He will win the ball on the half way line and have space to drive into. Of course it won't work every time, and if he misses, then there is a massive gap to play into. But that is how Liverpool play.

I would much rather have Trent play that way, high up the field with more action on the ball in dangerous attacking positions with the risk of getting exposed the odd time, rather than have him much deeper to try protect himself and losing a lot of that attacking play. Why negate one of your best players and playmaking tactics, just to protect maybe getting exposed every so often? Play to your strengths, not covering any weaknesses.

On a positive note - we scored THREE goals away to Atletico. Diego Simeone has been manager of Atletico since 2011, conceding 3 goals at home will have been a kick in the balls for him because no other team has done that to his Atletico team in the Champions League.

I was hoping for one but three was absolutely amazing. If Neco Williams had steadied himself before hammering his shot it could have been four. Atletico cut us open but that's what they do, Simeone's team philosophy is to exploit any weakness in the opposition and be difficult to break down, spoil the game to prevent the opponent from building momentum.

I was looking at the Atletico results from past seasons to see when they last conceded three goals while playing at home in a Champions League tie and to my surprise it was 12 years ago against FC Porto. They've conceded more goals in games against Real Madrid but it was in the away leg or the final.

Here's a list of their poorest results at home in the Champions League.

• 2021/22 : 2-3 Liverpool
    • 2020/21 : 0-1 Chelsea
    • 2019/20 : 2-2 Juventus
    • 2018/19 : * Won all home games
    • 2017/18 : 1-2 Chelsea
    • 2016/17 : 0-0 Bayer Leverkusen
    • 2015/16 : 1-2 Benfica
    • 2014/15 : 0-0 Real Madrid
    • 2013/14 : 0-0 Chelsea
    • 2009/10 : 0-3 FC Porto

We can analyse the team's performance and criticise the decisions made by players that lead to Atletico scoring their goals but I think it's only fair to acknowledge that Liverpool went to Atletico and did something that no other team achieved in the past decade.

I guess this is the perfect example of something Klopp & our Pep Lijniders say regularly in fact its kind of there Mantra & that is you have to be brave , He wants his players to be brave & not take the safe options,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And in fairness, 5 away games in 14 days across 5 different cities in 3 countries is a lot.

(there would have been 2 home games, except for the military coup going on in Guinea in the midst of it all)

• Advertisement
Advertisement