Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Great post. This thread veers into hyper-critical territory quite a lot so nice to see some reason and balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I disagree, he was trying to control the ball. He had every business to raise his leg to try do so. He clearly didnt know Bobby was there. Is there a rule that says you cant raise your leg high to control a ball?

I get that it deserved to be a red on the basis of endangerment rather than intent and the rule is there to protect players so fair enough but I still think it is a bit harsh for something which did not cause any major injury to the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

April 6th away to Real Madrid is our last defeat!

The run of 35 wins and a 1 draw in 36 league matches has driven us all crazy 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wasn't the best performance, but great result.

Salah's first was soft, deflection caused it, would have been saved

Keita's was a hit and hope, came off the side of his shin, the bend on it helped to make it hard to stop

Penalty was a gift,

Things going our way, but on play it wasn't a great performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think it would be a damaging move to break the club's current wage structure in order to accomodate Salah's reputed wage demands of 500k per week. Good though he be he's not worth that at 29. Secondly, I think Klopp must have a blind spot with regard to Henderson. Why does he keep selecting him? Last night, again, he was atrocious, both in and out of possession. Oxlade ought to start with Fabinho alongside. Hendo is a bad hangover from the second coming of Dalglish. That's how long he's been around, amazingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So we have to wait until someone is seriously injured before it is a red? It is not about the outcome, it is about the action no matter how little the player meant it.

If football is to be serious about head injuries then this is a red, no arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Henderson is class and one of our most important players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If any players, either current or future, perform as well as Salah does, then I don’t really care about any wage structures.

I also don’t think anyone at the club would begrudge Salah the sort of salary he deserves. And I also don’t think that the club would try to sign a player who would expect that sort of wage day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think it'll get sorted, some kinda imaginative structure including image rights or bonus or media shares or something, without effecting his wages directly. Where there is a will etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Moyes, for as bad as he was had a few more factors against him. First in after Fergie was always gonna be extremely tough to win over that dressing room.

the squad had won the previous league but let’s face it, it was a year of very poor quality with robin van Pierse shooting them to the title.

plus Moyes was given a fraction of the time ole has had.

ole has spent close to half a billion with probably the highest wage bill in the world and he can’t coach them enough to play without 2 holding mids?

imagine if Klopp took over at OT tomorrow. Within 2 weeks they would be firing and I don’t think it is exaggerating to say they would be in with a massive title shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Wages should be thought of as a whole. What the club spends on wages, not who they spend it on. With Shaq, Gini, Kabak gone, and Ox likely to go in summer we have the means to give Salah what he wants. Rather see Gordon fill that Ox position on bench.
    • Milner could also leave, but he's only young yet, some talk like he's 37 .But if he gets another year it will be on a tiny wage.
    • I think the goal and attendance bonuses are vital in a contract that runs to the mid 30's year of age. No one wants Salah to get a major injury, and be on 500k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Utd could be managerless on Sunday….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neville puts Maguire ahead of Matip, Gomez, Konate & Phillips in a combined 11 for Sky lol.

He also put Ronnie a man who wouldn't even press a door bell ahead of Bobby a man who run through a wall for his teammates double lol.

Fact is, somebody is going to pay Salah what he wants and from a marketing point of view having a Ballon D’or winner (hopefully) would be massive for the club brand. So if Liverpool want to keep him, they gotta pay the man and take the pain from other players that follows. Considering what MBapppe and Haaland are rumoured to be looking for, at £500k he could be good value. There’s a sentence I never thought I’d write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

They are embarrassingly bad tonight. Long may it continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Surely players can also weigh up their cash demands against their current situation. There's instrinsic value to Salah being on lesser (but still great!) wages at Liverpool vs getting higher wages at a club that may not suit him. He's playing under Klopp who's set the team up to maximise Salah's strengths. Facts are Salah has become a worldwide phenomenon/icon at Liverpool on Klopp's watch. And he's challenging for the biggest trophies. Would he take £350k at Liverpool vs £500k at, say, PSG which could be a leap into the unknown for him, as well as uprooting the family etc? I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ole is doing too bad of a job nearly....we could do with him being at the wheel for as long as possible.

They could actually be a half decent unit with a semi competent manager.

Hopefully Ronaldo bundles home an injury time brace to scramble a totally undeserved draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They wouldn't sack him before the Liverpool game, would they? Better to do wait even if the decision is already made.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

There was a thread on the old site. Not sure how to find it on the new site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

They have no midweek game next week so it would be after the Liverpool game, if it happens IMO. Gives the new guy a week on the training pitch, rather than a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

looking forward to you lads getting humbled at the weekend. ole is a genius, leading you all into a false sense of security.

its all part of the master plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This.

I'm almost supporting them in matches like this at the moment 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

They'll be absolutely shattered after this game,, degea super double save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If Liverpool go 2-0 up in the first half on Sunday, I might just starting believing this...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This game really couldn't have gone better

United awful, but still get a result.

They bust themselves doing it, with a manager who doesn't rotate so they'll be half wrecked at the weekend.

Ole still at the wheel, with fans tentatively behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Fred looked injured there at the end. One less option for them on Sunday if he's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely that not right? Sure we have drawn 2 this season alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well who needs a Ballon d'Or when you are a Madame Tussauds wax work.

Rashford will be there main danger the weekend in behind Trent

If we had Thaigo fit wed spank them,

Of we conteol the midfeild they, wont live with us but the whole game will come down to how well we control possession, Gini & Thiago huge misses for Old Trafford

It'll probably be Fabhion, Henderson and unfortunately Milner (not good enough for these games anymore )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Pretty much this. Ole is no genius which we are all well aware by now but he knows that Rashford will make life hell for TAA. We're are going to have to score 3 plus again away from home this weekend as UTD are going to score themselves....bad and all as they are currently they are creating lots of chances and we are struggling defensively ourselves this season's against teams that come at us. Our games are usually cagey affairs but with neither defence near their best this season I can actually see a goal fest this weekend!! Hopefully we come out on the right side of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Were you guilty of sipping grandpa's cough medicine last night? There's an unusual amount of typos for one of your posts. 🧐

Rashford could hurt us but he went off with an injury last night. He came on as a substitue for Sancho against Leicester last weekend, for only his first appearance of the season. He scored a goal and got informed in the media by the manager that he needs to focus on his football. He is nowhere near match fit but he started the game yesterday and didn't look sharp, he scored the goal that got them back into the game before breaking down injured. I haven't seen the manager's post match comments on the situation but I doubt they'd be too insightful. With the injuries to Rashford, Fred and Varane their options are limited. Maguire also looks like he is playing with an injury. It's a great time to play them and it's at Old Trafford so they will have to show some attacking intent or the home crowd will turn on the team.

Curtis Jones should start in midfield. He remained in Liverpool when the squad travelled to Madrid to ensure he's ready for the game at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Any club that's serious about competing need to realise that there are exceptions that need to be granted.

Otherwise you'll end up like Arsenal who haven't competed for a long time due to similar reasons.

It really is simple and goes for any workplace in the world; there has to be a reward for exceptional performance lest you want to encourage a base line of mediocrity throughout the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Exactly, if we want to remain a force at home at in Europe we are going to have to start paying the best players the money, especially the fact we have him on our books already.

We have been excellent at recruiting players and turning them into world class, but I can't see that lasting when Klopp finally decides to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's kind of untrue about Arsenal they made Ozil the highest paid player in the league and it backfired, they also made PEA the highest paid in the league and he's been **** since.

Yeah fair enough, just bring in a rule then that in no circumstances are you allowed raise your leg higher than a certain height. Give a free kick if you do even if there is no one around because there might have been someone there. Ban overhead kicks as well because they are too dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

FFS it's not hockey. A bit of common sense is all that's required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

PSG will move heaven and earth for Salah when Mbappe leaves. FSG knows this too, and you can bet anything they are crunching every number, using every bit of data available to see the pro and cons of letting him go.

It will be a case of weighing up whats best, paying our phenomenal 29 year old main source of goals 400k+ per week heading into his 30s, or rolling the dice and spending the £150 million we would get on a potentially an entirely new frontline.

When you look at it in those cold terms, there is an argument to be made that theres logic behind cashing in for huge money. Unfortunately its what we do, we sell big and try and unearth the next stars. The Coutinho deal allowed us sign Van Dijk and Alisson, without the barca money this wouldn't have happened.

Its a real shame though, other clubs seem to be adding all the time without the need to sell in order to reinvest. Chelsea for instance think nothing of adding to their ranks every year, Werner last year (didn't work), lets get Lukaku (hmmm not what we thought), let get Haaland next year. All whilst not having to get rid of the others.

We are constantly looking at how to trim the fat. There is absolutely no doubt FSG are considering selling him in order to raise funds for the next big outlay, there will be no big money signings unless we sell, its how our club operates. I'd be shocked if they give a 29 year old a record breaking contract unfortunately :(

Look at what they did with the Red Sox this season, they make economic decisions.

We would have signed Van Dijk in the summer transfer window before the Coutinho pony show began if Southampton hadn't felt like they were being railroaded into the transfer. That kind of knocks the assertion that we would not have signed him without the money from Barcelona on the head. Michael Edwards is good at speculating on players ability but I don't think he can predict the future.

Mo will still be flying at 34 ,he really looks after himself and is never injured,

So a 5 year deal at around 450k a week would be fine & make sense for everyone ,

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I may have thought that until they bought Messi. Can you have both in the same team? Also would Salah want to move to somewhere we he would not be considered No. 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Possibility they miss Leicester & Chelsea games now aswell unless some agreement can be reached

I agree and common sense would tell you that Griezmanns sending off was very harsh IMO. Anyways I will leave it at that 😁

If you think we would have signed Van Dijk without the Coutinho money (whether already banked or on the horizon) then you're off your rocker. We almost break even in money spent the last years FFS.

Jimbo not trying to rile you up but week in week out we see player's go into challenge with there stud up miss the ball connect with someone's leg & get a red card & everyone is fine with it ....would you agree ?

Griezmann went to get the ball with his studs up missed the ball and connect with Firmino's head , why shouldn't it be a red card ?

Sure he didn't mean it but players who are late on the ground don't mean it ,

Are you seriously questioning my mental state because I pointed out a hole in your transfer theory?

• Advertisement

That I don't question for one minute.

What I do question is FSG's willingness to offer that kind of deal. Its completely unchartered waters for them. I'd hate to see it, but the money PSG would dangle in front of them would allow them replace the entire frontline. Now obviously, we'd love to keep Salah on huge money, and rebuild the frontline around him heading into his 30s, but come on this isn't what our owners do is it?

They sell in order to reinvest. We will hear about our large wage bill being a key reason why we cannot spend. And we have an aging squad on big money. These funds will have to come from somewhere, with our model sales are paramount. Will Mane or Firmino (2 players not being spoken about in terms of renewals) attract large bids to allow us keep Salah and build around him? No chance.

Advertisement