Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Conversation here was split on naby and ox last season. There was talk of them being over their issues but, alas they are not. It's definitely time to find a top 23/24 year old for box to box duties. Anything younger will be too much of a prospect imo and we've too much older as it is.

We've lost 7 leads this season, some we've regained the lead, others not. We're just not managing games as good as we have at times in the past. That feels like a gini skill we've lost. The way he'd cut out a pass or hang onto the ball.

I do think injuries bring in other injuries. Over playing an injury prone player because someone else is injured is going to cause injuries. Naby would not have played yesterday if fabinho or thiago were available. Milner has been overplayed this season already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I thought Ox looked good yesterday, in that his heart was in it, ran his socks off, made the goal for Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s just not the same as last season though - last season we had 3 players for 2 spots in CB. This season we have 8 players for 3 spots in CM. And yes, I know some are injury prone, but that’s 8 dudes, on 8 wages. 8 wages should be enough to cover CM, and I can totally see that it’s hard for the club to justify a 9th wage before shifting someone. I’ve no doubt we’d have sold a few had there been any interest, but Covid largely put paid to that.

I think the calling out of not replacing Gini being the issue is not quite fair… he was replaced in the squad by a guy who was playing about every game till a bad tackle from behind snapped his ankle. Same thing could’ve happened to Gini. The problem isn’t Gini - it’s too many players on the books that can’t be relied on, which sucks, but I can understand that you’ve gotta get ‘em off the books before replacing them or else you end up with a bloated mess of a squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

We shouldn't have signed Thiago IMO, not when we already had a number of midfielders already with injury problems ranging from niggling to serious. We should of gone for a proper athlete type who could drop box to box similar to Gini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, frustrating especially given the way we held back last 30 against Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I was thinking about this did we actually hold back against united in the last half an hour or was it just that United stopped running forward and playing into our hands? I didn't notice any real tactic change in liverpool for the last half hour we just were not getting the space as United shut up shop with a man down and 5 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The club are going release Karius in January being reported this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thiago has been injured on 3 separate occasions at Liverpool - 1 with COVID & 2 through contact injuries.

That horror tackle by Richarlison cost him half a season last season. He didn't pick up any niggley injuries after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thiago is starting to remind me of the time we signed Jari Litmanen...on paper he looks like the perfect player for us but it's just not working out (yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He’s been excellent every time he’s played anywhere other than 6. With either Hendo or Fabinho playing 6 to free him up to play further up the field he’s been great. One of the big reasons we got into top 4 last season.

So when he plays in the position he was bought for, it’s working. It’s just annoying that he’s had these 2 injuries that’ve forced him to miss some time.

West Ham is going to be a really hard game next Sunday.

I can really see why we were linked with Bowen.

Another player I'd keep an eye on is Buendia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't think he had a history of injury when we signed him tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I liked Buendia when he was at Norwich, he looked a real talent. It hasn't quite clicked for him at Villa but it's early days.

The guy (Gallagher) that plays in midfield for Palace really impressed me over the last couple of weeks, it's a pity that Chelsea own him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Conor Gallagher looks a proper player, brave, dynamic and always looking to play forward and exploit space. World love to recruit him but can't see it happening if he's a Chelsea player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

A Chelsea loanee? Hardly. Rafinha would make a good replacement for Mane. Bellingham could do the work of Henderson, Tiago, Oxlade and Milner combined. Kane might be available on a free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Would Matip be good in the 6 role?

Henderson to the right and Jones to the left?

VVD and Konate behind Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv been banging this drum for month but we need another combative midfielder , still can't believe we didn't get one in the summer,

Fab,Thaigo,Henderson ,Naby & Milner are all injury prone,

Jones is shocking off the ball , He never gets close enough to make a tackle & isn't experienced enough to realise is isn't getting there & instead put himself in a position to cut off the pass, he is like a dog chasing cars in there, It sounds harsh but when we lose the ball 90% of the time he is an empty jersey, It was so obvious in the City game & even at old Trafford before Pogba got sent off you could see it,

On Saturday with himself & Ox it was just handing the middle of the park over to Brighton, We had no one else for midfield so at halftime Klopp should have went 3 at the back & left Hendo & Ox as the midfield 2, with the extra man behind for protection ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think he has some legal trouble but if and when that is cleared up, we need to be all over Yves Bissouma. Looks perfect for our midfield

Tielemans? 24 years old. 18 months left on his contract.

He would be a great singing but personally i think we need another more combative midfielder in January for this season ,

Tiewmans ,Bellingham & so on would be great going forward but we are missing steel in there right now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tielmans isn't an attacking midfielder he plays a very similar style to what Gini did for us but passes the ball forward a little more often.

I understand that iv always seen him as a more mobile Thiago but i think we need a ball winner,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't get a lot of the Thiago grief, his main criticism for last year was basically nearly getting his leg snapped in 2 after a horror tackle and then coming back to shi** show and been asked to play as a number 6 holding midfielder. None of these things were his fault! Once we reverted back to 2 centre halves and he got pushed back to his natural position he was probably our best player for the last 10 odd games of the season last year one of the main reasons why we ended up finishing in 3rd! If we had him on the pitch at the weekend Brighton would not have came back into that game as easily as Thiago is comfortably the best ball playing CM in the league. Brighton completely won the midfield battle and we completely lost control of the game in the 2nd half.

• Advertisement

Bellingham isn't an attacking midfielder either he is a classic number 8 box to box midfielder.

To be fair i haven't seen anyone question Thiago ability the issues is we haven't seen him on the pitch enough ,

People only question his purchase because he had a poor injury history & we needed someone more robust,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

But there has been a good few people on here question his ability and that's my point. When he actually got to play in his position last year he was one of our best players and his injuries thus far have been on the back of very bad challenges. There was one poster here who accused him of been a sideways passing merchant (in hindsight that may have been a troll). Unlike Kieta who just gets injured at every single turn...

He's a quality player, It was overlooked last season but his performance at Old Trafford was unreal .

Huge game this weekend for us a win away to West ham would be massive another draw or defeat would be deflating ,

Not to worried about Madrid midweek cause we will beat Porto at home ,

It'll be very interesting to see what team we go with Wednesday

Id rest VVD, Robbo but iv no idea what he does with Midfield ,Hendo must be near breaking point to ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jefferson Lerma would fill a gap in squad. He is a raging lunatic though, dirtiest player in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi There

I follow this thread, but don't post much. I am a genuine fan and would appreciate anyone's help or guidance, im sure your asked this all the time.

Tickets.. I know they are like gold dust at the moment. What is the best way to go about it, for someone like me, ive only been once before. I am not part of a supporters club. I see all these Irish agencies with tickets available, yes they are expensive but I understand that.

What is best, who are best? Is it better to buy ticket and organise my own travel etc..

What has anyone done in my situtation? My son is now 8 and as mad as me about them and I would love to take him over when these guys are on the field, as we all know it may not last forever!!

I really would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance

JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Not much useful advice I'm afraid, it is really tough at the moment

There are official hospitality tickets, looks like they're still available for most games. You're looking at £300 each though, it's a disgrace really. Don't know how that compares to what you're seeing

Fabinho & Thiago in training today is a very welcome sight.

Glad we didn’t touch Saul he is like 7th choice midfielder at Chelsea now and is the 3rd highest paid player there.

He would have come in as the highest paid player at the club and not up to premier league football

Yeah, it seemed odd that such a player was available, there was a vibe that they were bombing him out. Wonder if they've pulled a fast one on Chelsea.

If it were up to me i would have bought him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I see Bellingham is sending Liverpool Twitter into a frenzy tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Would be a nice parting gift from Edwards, secure a starting midfield position in the team for the next 12-15 years.

It even sounds kind of crazy to be so excited about an 18 year old midfielder, but he really is that good.

I’d feel sorry for Mbappé though, it’ll completely overshadow his arrival at Kirkby. The poor lad has been practicing his leaning for the past two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Another table perspective

Bellingham, Raphinha & Barnes now that would the parting gift.

Ok maybe not a gift at the guts of £200m however it would set up the first team for the next 5/6 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Find your local LFCSC and join them. Buy a 'Light Membership' with LFC online. Once you've done this, you've a better (but not guaranteed) chance of getting a ticket. In our local branch, the chairperson has two season tickets (no idea how) and he offers those up to members each game, often first come, first serve. We do get a small allocation of tickets after that which the supporters' club does its best to divvy up but it's hard. LFC have made it extremely difficult for the regular fan to purchase tickets. Best of luck to you and your young lad. Get him over while Klopp's still in charge (if you can of course) - special team to see in the flesh.

We might be onto something if we can time the injuries to Naby & Thiago that when one goes down the other is coming back from one.

I wonder who will be the CB's tomorrow,

I reckon will go Matip & Gomez,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Keita "out for a while" again according to Klopp. The hamstring.

Sounds like Klopp has no idea ,Hopefully back for Arsenal

Milner & Naby both out with hamstrings and due back for the Arsenal game after the international break.

Good news that Naby doesn't go off for his Country.

Ye even if Naby could make the Westham game , Its probably safer to rule him out just so he doesn't go away on Internationals , We need everyone for the run of games after the break till the end of the year ,

I took "out for a while" as a couple of months.

He'll probably get rushed back for the AFCON then, and inevitably break down again on return to the club.

• Advertisement

Yeah with him I would be surprised to see him this side of christmas

Advertisement