Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how much of part Edwards had in the purse strings not being opened that much in the transfer market over the years he does like getting bargains.

He could have been saying to FSG hold on I can get a player cheaper next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gerard going to love villa. He has one game at home to Chelsea, and two games against City to come. And you just know he'll be going all he can and a little more in those games to stop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I was thinking similar, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes but maybe he's trying too hard to 'win' the negotiating. Let's not be silly here all of the pro Edwards media that has ramped up over the years likely comes from Edwards himself. When you get a reputation it may then make you overthink/negotiate harder etc.

Klopp may be asking him to get rid of 'x' and get him 'y' but Edwards is fighting over a few extra million on both incomings and outgoings. Who knows, we'll see if anything changes over the next few years, the new guy has been at the club for a decade so likely is an easy transition within the club anyway.

My guess is it's a combination of FSG setting a budget every season, Klopp wanting specific type of players and Edwards doing deals where he can say to both Klopp and FSG that ideal player isn't there at the moment however we can get him next season.

Klopp liking to promote from within and give the kids a chance is happy enough to wait and FSG are happy to leave the football choices to those they put in charge.

As you say the new guy has been at the club and has been Edwards number 2 for the last few years so not much might change, Then again he might want to put his own stamp on this system as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I can only imagine he’ll be a big miss, based on everything we as supporters have been led to believe about him. You never really know what it’s like behind the scenes though, so I’m hopeful that Julian Ward can be a worthy successor, or ideally do an even better job.

Looking forward to sitting in the redeveloped Michael Edwards Stand in a couple of years time though. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Edwards will be tough to replace, best of luck to him (he did a good job) and to Ward coming in, a big act to follow.

Re:Gerard, good to see him in the EPL.

Personally, I'd have doubts about him managing at the very top level, but we'll never know by him staying at Rangers, and Villa is potentially a good stepping stone if he gets some time there.

Personally, I wouldn't touch him if he only managed Rangers, (anyone remember Souness???), so let's see what he can do in this league, hope he does well.

What you have to remember with Souness is that while he undoubtedly made mistakes, he inherited a team very much at the end of its cycle, similar to the team Moyes took on after Ferguson. My concern is that Klopp will push this squad to its limits unless new young talent is brought in before he likely leaves in 2024, meaning a new manager whoever he is, will be building a whole new team. I really don’t see that as a job in 2024 for a relatively inexperienced manager of a bottom half club like Villa or worse, Rangers.

I happened onto a sky channel last night watching Liverpool v Man City from 2014 when we beat them 3:2, only Fernandinho is still at City, and their standards have not dropped, that can only be achieved with yearly updates to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was some talk that Julian Ward was behind the negotiations/transfer of Konate. Liverpool just paid the release clause there. Maybe Ward is more a risk-taker and is happier to just pay up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

So all the on field success is down to Klopp and not FSG despite the fact it was FSG's careful management which resurrected the club from near liquidation into a position where someone like Klopp would consider taking the job and it was FSG who recruited him and got him to sign an extended contract? Fair play, that's some pretty messed up logic.

No matter how many times Klopp comes out and says his preference is to have a compact squad, to promote squad / young players internally and to buy in raw unproven talent he can coach to be the player he wants them to be (with exceptions being Allisson and VVD) some people always want to have a pop at the owners for not supporting the manager financially.

Klopp could walk into the managers job in any team in the world and the unlimited cash PSG job has been available at least 3 times during his Liverpool tenure yet he hasn't once indicated that's the sort of job he wants. I wonder why that is?

• Advertisement

Probably because he realises that unless he wins the champions league he would be sacked at PSG, and that winning the French league with PSG is about as impressive as winning the Caraboa Cup in England, not very.

When he leaves, I’d say the only two jobs that would interest him are the German national team and Bayern.

True but IIRC the Bayern job has been vacant no fewer than 6 times during Klopps tenure at LFC and despite FSG being the owners he didn't throw his hat in the ring once for the Bayern job.

I’m not sure what point you are making. He stayed at Mainz for 7 yrs, Dortmund for for 7 yrs, and all things going well, Liverpool for 9 by the time his contract ends. He isn’t the type to jump ship easily or at a whim. Fact is he probably could have got any job bar the Man City one since he joined Liverpool. But when he does leave, I can’t see him at basket case clubs like PSG/RM/Barca, it will more likely be a national team, or, Bayern where he would be given time to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Did you fail to read my entire post? I said they have run the club off field almost perfectly, so don't quote me and reply as if I was bashing them. I wasn't. I dont really give them credit for the on field success no. I attribute that to Klopp and his team. The vast majority of players that have played for him at the club have greatly improved as footballers and that is why we are competing for the big trophies. FSG deserve credit for hiring him sure but unlike you I feel it wasn't so much the owners that attracted him but his own desire to try and help restore Liverpool to a big club fighting for big trophies again.

Tbh I have thought about not replying to you at all. You completely misinterpreted what I posted and the intention behind it. But I am not overly surprised, it tends to be the norm on here when a poster makes a post that can be construed as mildly critical. I am just surprised that you haven't labelled me as FSG out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rangers fans and players must have had a reality check '' yea you're not that important''

Same reality hit Everton when they were casted aside like an old doll.

To be fair, I doubt Rangers fans are under any illusions about the standing of their club when compared to the premiership. Previous managers like Souness and Smith have left when English clubs came calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

True. I honestly think; if Klopp had played his career to perfection, chasing trophies at all costs, he'd already be the most successful coach of all time. Following his stint at Dortmund, he'd have his pick of any of your City's, PSG's, Madrid's, Bayern's etc.... with that level of money and backing, he'd surely have multiple league and PL titles to his name. This guy, imo, is the undisputed best coach in the world, but he chooses "projects", mainly Liverpool. Awakening a sleeping joint takes a long time.... time he could have spent hoovering up titles at financially doped clubs. Had he gone to Man City, say, in 2015 instead of us, I'd say he would have won 3 CL titles.

That's how stand-out he truly is.

We are lucky he is more than just a mercenary.

Exactly, which is why, as long as he is happy working under the FSG ownership model, we shouldn't be too critical of them as we've actually no idea whether "buying a midfielder" in the summer would have helped or pi$$ed off Klopp.

I know during international breaks it gets a bit tetchy in here but for once and for all should we not just agree that if Klopp is happy enough to work within FSG's financial constraints perhaps the rest of us who have no clue should just STFP and calm down?

The fact you disconnect FSG's ownership from setting up the circumstances under which LFC could attract Klopp to be manager and that FSG have provided Klopp with enough authority to have total control over all football related activity is beyond hilarious and not only is it quite sad but it highlights your own personal prejudices.

I agree with you ref Mainz and Dortmund but I disagree ref Bayern and I disagree that RM and PSG are basket clubs. Financially they are sound. Barca on the other hand is fucked.

My point is that if an unlimited budget was important to him he'd have bailed on LFC long ago but it isn't'.

I wasn’t referring to their financial situation, more their penchant for disposing of managers, even ones with great reputations when they don’t deliver almost instant success. In both RM and PSG, the minimum requirement is a league title, but in reality only a CL guarantees job security, in RM’s case, even that might not save you from the sack as Del Bosque and Heynckes found. And their transfer policies which do not seem to consider what the manger needs but rather just involves the collection of big name players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the idea of PSG, I’m interested to see what happens with them over the next few years… their buyout had one major goal in mind, which was raising the Qatar profile in the run up to the World Cup, with Messi being the big final publicity grabbing push - I kind of wonder once the World Cup is done and dusted if they’ll take a bit of a step back in ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Honestly don't think Bayern are his style, to be honest. Return to Dortmund would be more likely

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think Klopp has spoken about making a team , and not just being parachuted into a club lik RM or PSG. His next job will be the German national team imo

Wow. You pick up all that from my post? This place is hilarious and your deductions are way off. Prejudices? Ffs get a grip...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

To be fair you say ...

I don't attribute much of the on field success to them. We have won big trophies because of the brilliance of Klopp and his staff. He has worked wonders with this squad and little net spend and I believe his brilliance is masking a number of issues relative to the health of the squad going forward

... I have to agree with 54and56, the idea that FSG and klopp are not in tandem when it comes to the squad is ridiculous. Based on what klopp has said in public before and after joining the club Klopp wants these restrictions and challenges. He'd prefer to try make jones and Elliott better players before buying someone. He might buy someone in future, but only after trying to improve the lads.

I do share your frustration Billy. If this squad doesn't win another trophy then it will be a massive shame. That blame is on FSG and Klopp in equal measure. In this sesne they could be bad for each other. Like Wenger and Arsenal became bad for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gerrard confirmed as Villa manager. Great news for Liverpool as it's basically an audition to be Klopp's successor.

Succeed at Villa and he's lined up to takeover when Klopp's contract is up, fail there and it's no skin off Liverpool's nose.

Well I disagree and it is just my opinion. My issue with 54and 56's replies is that he almost paints my post as being anti FSG. To repeat. I believe they have been great owners no doubt and like I said they have been pretty much perfect in their handling of the off field running of the club.

I believe Klopp joined the club because it was the right project that came around at the right time. A traditional heavyweight club with a history of success but starved of recent success. The club drew Klopp, not the owners. Klopp comes across as being a bit of a romantic in a footballing sense, an underdog. FSG get credit here for not being a state sponsored owner, something Klopp would seem to have no interest in working with.

On the subject of success on field I stand by my point that we have not maximised our chances. I still believe a league title was there to be won by this team last year. Yes the extent of the CB injuries was unfortunate but we completely mismanaged the situation, particularly in January, when the season could still have been salvaged. Instead the club makes out they have no interest in January reinforcements only to panic at the very end and bring in two random players for a pittance. I don't believe any coach of any calibre would have been happy to get through the rest of the season with no fit cb's so I don't think the idea came from Klopp. I believe it came from FSG because of their concerns about money during the pandemic. I mean they did consider furloughing staff at the club.

My greater concern though is when Klopp leaves. FSG will have a massive job on their hands. We will have to somehow replace a top quality manager and what will look to be an aging squad that will probably need a masive overhaul. We can't just rely on the academy for that. This is where FSG will face their biggest test as owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Villa and Everton managers, who'd have thought it?

Your contradictions are hilarious.

First of all you say "The club drew Klopp, not the owners." then later you say "My greater concern though is when Klopp leaves. FSG will have a massive job on their hands."

If it was the club that drew Klopp and not FSG why would they have a job on their hands attracting the next manager? Wouldn't the club just do its thing and draw another great manager again? 🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Between agent rafa, brendan and stevie this could be our year yet...

• Advertisement

You really have difficulties with comprehension. The difficulty in replacing Klopp will be in finding a manager good enough, not on the ability to attract a good enough manager. The difficulty in finding a manager to replace him is likely the scarcity of good enough candidates. make any sense now or are you just going to misinterpret what I say yet again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I agree. Replacing klopp will be an impossible job. There isn't much out there at all. No one will have the personality that is able to bring so many people along. There never has been a manager like him in my opinion. Dalglish and shankly come close but in this modern media era with so many social and human issues klopp has been an unbelievable leader. We cant expect that of the next man. If we do, that alone will make it decades before we win a league again.

Football coaching wise though there are options. And the one that comes in might put more pressure on the board to get what he wants. There's always ways to skin a cat. It wont be as enjoyable but we can't hope for that either.

Like i said, i agree with you re the lack of seizing the moment over these years but i suppose we disagree on klopps role in it, not FSG's. It's one of his flaws. His words and actions seem to suggest to me that he would prefer not to have dead weight in the squad that he can't work with. I think its very plausible that the board came to klopp last year and said this is who we can buy, as in their clubs will sell. Klopp saw the list and chose loan because Red Bull were still in the CL and wouldn't sell the man he wanted.

Anyway, im sure everyone else is very bored of this so ill leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sadio taken off after 27 minutes in the Senegal match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Mane injured in the first half for Senegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Seemingly the Senegal manager said it was precautionary

Klopp's successor is more important than signings IMO.

Tsimiskas played a full game at what looks like left of a back 3 in Greece’s 0-1 lose to Spain

Jota an unused sub in the 0-0 draw against Ireland

Ali played the full game for Brazil and Fab came on for the last 7 minutes for Brazils 1-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That Will Keane foul on Patricio last night is exactly what I'm talking about with the foul on Alisson last week.

We deserved to lose against West Ham, but refs overprotect keepers constantly, and it was odd that Alisson wasn't given the same treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Atrophy is the worry for me. Essentially this team has been together for a long time. And is growing old together. We have had few signings in the last 2 years that have resulted in established 1st team players being surpassed or moving on. Feels a little like we're standing still in relation to player resources. Still almost fully positive but have a nagging feeling that we'll look in the mirror in 2 years when Klopp is leaving and wonder how we didn't see this coming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Tend not to agree, Allisson, VVD, Fabinho, and Salah are all likely to have long careers at the top.

Tsimikas, Trent, Elliot, Konate, Jota, Gomez, Jones all have the bones of a decade or more ahead of them.

Robertson, Ox, Keita, Mane, all in the 26-29 range.

Matip, Firmino, Thiago are 30, Hendo 31. Milner obviously on the way out at 35 but is a generational pro.

So, anyway, I dont think the squad is as worrisome as you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Completely different fouls , Keane looks at the keeper and leans into him

Ogbonna jumped before Alisson was looking at the ball & not the keeper , If anything Alisson jumped into Ogbonna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Don’t think I agree with any of that. Ox/Keita/Matip/Firmino/Thiago/Milner I suspect will be jettisoned within the next two yrs.

For me there are questions over the quality of Gomez and Jones, good, just not very good. Mane and Robertson’s form has fluctuated, we have see if that is a blip or something more serious.

I suppose the reality is, if you took Salah out of this team at the moment, would it be in contention for the Premiership/CL? I don’t think it would, so I think some big investment is needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You don't agree with any of that? Most of what I said wasn't even opinion it was mostly just a list of their current ages.

And then, you talk about 6 players from the 2 older age groups of course some of them will be moved on in the next 2 years, that is completely normal, 2 years is a long time in football. I'd say some of them will be moved on in less time than that.

Jones and Gomez are without a doubt good enough to be in our squad, are they good enough to be nailed on starters, remains to be seen, Gomez certainly was good enough in the past, hard to know whether he'll get back there. But he would definitely be one of the best backups around.

Take out Salah, and I think we wouldn't be as good. Seems a shocker of a question to be fair.

• Advertisement

Team that has lost 1 game in 26 is not good enough and full of average players who should be sold. Team that is 3 points off the top of the league and won 4 from 4 in the CL group stage, qualifying for the next round with 2 games to spare.

This international break can't finish soon enough.

That is not what I posted. Did I say the team was full of average players or should be sold?

Statistics tell you the what, they don’t tell you the how or why. Yes there was a 26 game run, which is enough to get us to 4th in the league, last year and currently. So less with the sarcasm please.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unbeaten runs sound fantastic but can be quite the opposite,

Remember United recently broke the unbeaten away run but drew a shed load of games in that run ,

After all your better off points wise by losing one & winning one than drawing two ,

Also trying to hold on to that "unbeaten " tag can make a team hold out for a draw instead of being brave and going for wins ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Any update on Mane yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement