Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Chelsea have the best squad in the league,by a distance imo, utds squad has some quality but nowhere near the same level. Harry Maguire is utd captain..that's staggering..ain't done a thing his whole career...here ya go..now your captain ..you will lead this huge club back to glory.... What a awful awful (great) decision that was.

He is English so that’s good for homegrown quota and marketing. He is a very good player who is still finding his feet in a new club, that is not unusual, many Liverpool players including Fabinho spend a couple of months in the reserves before they get near first team regular spots so that they learn to play in a new system. He is not a striker, Jota and Salah are so comparing goals scored isn’t fair, and Salah is looking for a lot more than 300k if media reports are to be believed.

Lastly, the kid isn’t married and doesn’t have kids as far as I know, so let’s not moralise over his private life.

I think Grealish is very good, and will get better under Pep. It possibly could be next season before he really shines, when he has a striker to direct his passes to. I’m not sure though that he would fit in to our system, so more a Pep than a Klopp player.

I think Man Utd offered Klopp the managers job before he was offered the Liverpool one, I vaguely remembering him saying his wife persuaded him to turn down Utd, and then take the Liverpool job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

A small glimmer of hope that a new interim manager bounce might mean United take something off Chelsea next Sunday. Good timing for Liverpool, they would have got schooled if Ole was still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

One thing is for sure, if we are to challenge for the top spot we need to have more players in place on the first day of the transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Yes I remember some mention of that. His wife deserves the keys of the city if that’s true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Christ. Imagine the dominance Utd would've had if Klopp had taken over there? It would've been Ferguson 2.0

In my mind, Klopp is the best manager in world football. Obviously Liverpool (and even Dortmund) are no paupers, but he's had to work within certain financial constraints throughout his entire career which the likes of Pep etc have never had. Put Klopp in charge of Utd, City, Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, Bayern etc and he'd absolutely clean up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nothing beats a brilliant 4-0 win against a team in form to change the mood!

Some brilliant performances all over the pitch & Alisson, Trent, Fabinho, Salah & Mane but then the likes of Tsimikas, Thiago & Ox need mentioning too. That's the sign of a top performance, when nearly the whole team needs to be praised for playing well.

Trent was outrageous. Tsimikas deserves this too. He should be knocking on Klopp's door saying that he should be starting ahead of Robbo on form.

I hope we are seeing the rebirth of Ox as a top player, you would nearly forget how good he was before the knee injury.

Some very impressive stats from yesterday, especially TAA.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/10-remarkable-stats-from-liverpools-superb-4-0-victory-over-arsenal/

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The 'issues' between them have always been ridiculously overstated.

Both proud footballers who put the team first, but know their own worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

They were talking about this on the General Premier League thread. Apparently discussions took place between Woodward and Klopp when Moyes reign was coming to an end and Woodwords sales pitch to Klopp was than UTD was liking going to work at a Disneyland for adults. Naturally Klopp thought that was a little weird and turned them down!

Thank fxxk, could you imagine where we both would be now if Klopp weny to UTD 7 years ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

New manager at United will soon realise they have alot of big names (and egos) but there is alot of restructuring needed.

Alot of guys who won't put in the hard yards needed (Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford etc...) In order to service Ronaldo.

It's ok maybe carrying 1 or 2 talented guys like this in your squad but United have 3 or 4 of the in their team. Top managers get their best players working their ass off as a very base level. Its their talent then that makes the difference.

Ronaldo for instance will score 20-30 goals but they won't be a better side for his presence, we are finding out they are not a good enough team to carry a guy like that. He'd gave been perfect for City, absolutely perfect, no other responsibility other than scoring. With excellent support cast like he had at Real Madrid for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Man Utd made an approach for Klopp to replace David Moyes in 2014. Here's an excerpt from Honigstein's biography of Klopp, "Bring The Noise":

Not long before, Manchester United executive vice chairman Ed Woodward had flown out to see Klopp in Germany. David Moyes's short tenure at Old Trafford was coming to an end, and Klopp was United's favourite to replace him, to bring back a sense of adventure to the Red Devils' game.

Woodward told Klopp that the Theatre of Dreams was 'like an adult version of Disneyland', a mythical place where, as the nickname suggested, the entertainment was world class and dreams came true.

Klopp wasn't entirely convinced by that sales pitch — he found it a bit 'unsexy', he told a friend — but he didn't dismiss the proposition out of hand either. After almost six years in the job at Dortmund, perhaps the time was ripe for a change of scenery.

A little over a year later he was installed as the Liverpool manager.

Crikey, I would never have thought a day would come where a manager would react like this with being linked to the Utd job, not just to deny any link, but to dismiss the job with such disdain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1462412495268855814?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Getting Thaigo and Fabhino starting week in week out together is vital for us

Yesterday was just a brilliant day for us, everyone was good

I thought Thaigo was MOM

The claim in that piece that Klopp was approached to replace Alex Ferguson in 2013 is incorrect. Ferguson himself has stated in interviews that Moyes was the only person considered by the board and that had been on his recommendation.

Arsene Wenger was approached by Man Utd about replacing David Moyes in 2014 but he turned them down. Arsenal sounded out Klopp as a potential replacement at the time.

Would Ferguson have said “Well we really wanted Klopp, but he turned us down so the one we only wanted was David Moyes”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I didn't read the other article, but it is mentioned here that it was prior to LVG for the 2014/15 season

However, the German coach has confirmed he once turned down the chance to take over at Old Trafford, as he struggled to feel a connection with the club.

"Yes, there was interest - Manchester United , yes, they were interested a year or a year and a half before, but it didn't feel right,” he told Sky Sports.

"I couldn't say Man United is not my club, it didn't feel right."

Those advances came from the Red Devils prior to Louis Van Gaal’s appointment as manager for the 2014/15 season.

Klopp had excelled with his work at Borussia Dortmund, winning the Bundesliga title in 2012 and taking the German side to the Champions League Final, the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like we can add Jota to the injury list.

• Advertisement

Klopp has never claimed that he was approached by Man Utd in 2013. Your information is based upon a tabloid article which features quotes from Phil Thompson to fit a narrative.

In the media interviews immediately after he was appointed as Liverpool manager, Klopp said that his agent had been sounded the opportunity of joining the club in the summer. He spoke to his wife about it and they agreed that it was too soon and he needed a break from football. This would fit with why FSG went along with keeping Rodgers on as manager and let him ditch his coaching staff in the summer of 2015. When FSG finally sacked Rodgers in early October, they approached Klopp again and after talking with his family he accepted the opportunity.

It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that the author of the article which you provided the link to retrofitted what Klopp said to the media to create their story. I would certainly find that more plausible than the alternative which implies that not only did Klopp and his agent mislead Honigstein, but also for the past 8 years Alex Ferguson has covered up a lie and David Moyes was not the man he wanted to succeed him as manager of Man Utd.

I’m not sure why you are digging in about this. It has been reported in multiple articles that Klopp turned down the Man U job prior to accepting the Liverpool job. I’m not to concerned whether it was prior to LVG or Moyes being appointed, only that it was before he took the Liverpool job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The source is Raphael Honigstein's book 'Bring The Noise' - a story on Jurgen Klopp.

I’m not to concerned whether it was prior to LVG or Moyes being appointed, only that it was before he took the Liverpool job.

Yet you responded to my post which quoted what Honigstein had written with a link to a tabloid article with inaccurate information about the timing.

When I pointed this out, you subsequently questioned what Alex Ferguson has always maintained about the selection of his successor.

If it doesn't concern you about the timing of Klopp being approached about the Man Utd job then there was no need to respond to my post. 😀

If you're interested and want an accurate account of Klopp and his career then Honigstein's book is a good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I agree. Unfortunately I put the likelihood of both remaining injury-free till the end of the season at 0%.

Which is even less than the usual 1% one would set aside for a "black swan" event.

Ergo, Fab and Thiago staying injury-free is less likely than an asteroid wiping us all out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Spurs could build something special under Conte, He knows how to win the Premier League, it won't be a long love affair though, he seems to get sacked regardless of fact he wins, players just can't take the abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

They can't even let the poor sap leave with some dignity, instead they have to get him out on their "socials" making a total humiliation of the guy.

Some way to treat a club legend.

Is this the Spurs & United thread?

• Advertisement

It was great while it lasted,but we should leave ole alone now,he is no longer a rival manager..out of his depth is all,a long way.

It's done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Dont worry we can still focus on a rival thats terribly run with no plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Who's gonna start up front vs porto on wed - taki, gordon, the polish kid? Div and jota injured, mane & salah due a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unlike someone like Jose though, Conte doesn't really fall out with players. He sidelines and bombs out those who can't do what he asks early on, and is left with a group that love him. Leaving Inter, his players reportedly begged him to stay. More like Rafa, he's someone who gets into frequent conflict with the upstairs side of things. When the terms of his agreement - the backing he'd been promised - change, that's when he pulls out.

That's not to say it'll be a fruitful relationship with Spurs though, but it all depends on Levy. If Levy fulfils the promises he's supposedly made and backs him, they could be a real threat. But Levy has form for getting the club to a certain level, and then pulling back - like with Poch, after their perhaps best ever league campaign, with big squad depth weaknesses, Levy didn't release any money at all to be spent. We'll just have to wait and see how well he supports Conte.

I'd say one of Mane or Salah will start, along with Taki and Gordon. Maybe 60 minutes for Mane, 30 for Mo?

It's at home at least, so no extra hassle to have some of the main guys involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Kaide Gordon is ineligible for the champions league

• Advertisement

Ah, that's a balls... doesn't look like Musialowski would be eligible then either. We could even see Harvey Blair play so, who started up front in the last EFL cup game. Pretty sure he meets the List B requirements since he's been with Liverpool since he was around 12.

One kid's enough though, wouldn't like to see any more than that in the front 3. One of the main guys, Taki, and a kid is a nice balance.

Neco should start at right back, but if for some reason he doesn't he could be a decent option as a wing forward as well.

I wonder what's the story with Robbi's injury. He was said to be 50-50 for the Arsenal game, but then didn't even make the bench.

There's actually an argument that Tsimikas should be first choice now. If Robbo is fit, I'd nearly start him in this CL game and use Tsimikas in the PL games. Now at the same time, I wouldn't like to be rushing Robbo back either.

Up front, I think Salah might start and maybe play 45 mins. Or even 60. Last season, there was a lot of pre-planned subs in the CL group stage games with subs being made on 45 or 60 mins very regularly. Salah Taki and I'd hope that Origi might just find his fitness again.

Now that the midfield of Fabinho Hendo Thiago is available, I think that might be the midfield going forwards. So Ox might start Porto, alongside Hendo and maybe Morton.

Too much money at stake, Klopp will be told to play full strength, of course he'll make out what ever teams he puts out is full strength

I'd seriously doubt anyone tells klopp who to play,or how..not in that fashion anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

In his interview after the Atletico game he said the prize money was really important. He'd try win the games.

I'd agree he needs to rest as many as possible losing trent or salah or nearly any of the first 11 for a month or two like last season is worth way more than the 2.5 million going for a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its a condition of entry now to the ECL that you field your strongest team in all games.

Obviously within that there is scope to get away with a slightly weaker team, but there's possibly a 'taking the piss' cut-off point at which they'll pull you up.

Alisson

Neco Konate Matip Tsimikas

Thiago Morton Ox

Salah Taki Origi

That's still a decent team while resting key players. Give Salah 45 and Mane 45. Can also do similar with Matip/VVD and Hendo/Thiago.

I reckon we will go

Becker, Neco, Konate, Phillips, Tsimakas, Ox, Milner, Hendo, Taki, Origi, Mo

We Played Saturday, and the Porto game is Wed night, we really don't need to rest players, some of them actually need games, of course I expect Klopp will talk of little issues with the players he'll not play, who will recover fast for the game on Sat.

I doubt it will be a pepsi cola side though, that's won't cut it with owners, or Uefa . tHAT 3M for a win is a nice piece of Salah's new contract.

A nice compilation of the pressing Saturday night. It's not just one person aimlessly running at the player with the ball, but collective thinking.

I liked both Thiago & Ox, both in terms of pressing and also sweeping up the second ball when it gets turned over.

so well coached,every player knows his role ,and this is why new players,or young lads take time to come in fully..its intense work,each player taking their turn for the mad press whilst the others cover the outs..exceptional coaching tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a fantastic player Jota is, a total Klopp player. Just energy and pressing for days and very technical. A snip at £40m lets be honest

if we could get in another similar player next summer, the front 3 succession would be looking very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's what I love about watching the fringe cup games, Klopps blueprint is all over the club, every player that comes in knows what to do and what is expected. Even a hugely experienced player like Thiago has had to adapt to his style, his passing is alot quicker, less touches and snappier than at Bayern.

Its sounds mad but i actually think we play worse as a team as in less control with Jota as a 9 but he still scores and makes chances & always puts in a shift

He's brilliant but his style leads to less control than Bobby's,

I think Jota is better off the left like we seen at Old Trafford, Shows how good he is that he still performs as a 9 but just different than we are used to seeing from Firmino

• Advertisement
Advertisement