Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

murpho999 wrote: »
    Tyler's commentary is truly awful.

I'm not talking about the often spoken about anti-Liverpool bias but just his total mediocrity.
    Too often in games he's not focussed on what is happening but spends too much time talking about historical games or trying to have fireside chats with Gary Neville.
    His reaction here is dull as if a goal had just been scored by 10th minute of game by a leading striker not the 95th minute of a game by a bloody goalkeeper.

I was watching a game recently with Andy Gray and Martin Tyler and listening to Tyler was like to listening to a different man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

eigrod wrote: »
    Kelleher
    Kabak, Van Dijk, Matip, Gomez
    Milner, Henderson, Keita, Ox
    Jota

The treatment room just 1 short of a top team today.

Davies makes 11.

Kelleher

Kabak--- Van Dijk---- Davies----Gomez

Milner----Matip
    Hendo

Keita
    Ox

Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

https://youtu.be/ylSF12Kb5nU?t=155

vs

https://youtu.be/qTmI0Tds0es?t=106

says it all.

Also how Sky haven't sorted out his breathing being picked up is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly I don't think it's so much an anti-Liverpool thing, as a 'just too old' thing. He's rubbish in plenty of non-Liverpool matches I watch too. That Martial one is 6 years old now, which is a big difference for a man of 75.

I don't necessarily think he should be sacked or something, but it's nuts that he's still the leading guy, getting all the big matches. Like, all the younger up and coming commentators must be fuming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

vs

says it all.

The worst part about it is the first clip is probably the most excited I've heard him in about 3 years. He's normally far, far more bored than that.

Compare to: https://youtu.be/lLQougr2Yvw?t=351

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

vs

says it all.

Ah, yes this match. One minute before that Martial goal Benteke scored a pretty spectacular bicycle kick goal...and all he could muster was, "what a wonderful goal" in a tone that almost made you think he was in a library or at a funeral, and then about a minute later he is able to scream. "OH YES!"

Edit to add:
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think it's so much an anti-Liverpool thing, as a 'just too old' thing. He's rubbish in plenty of non-Liverpool matches I watch too. That Martial one is 6 years old now, which is a big difference for a man of 75.

I don't necessarily think he should be sacked or something, but it's nuts that he's still the leading guy, getting all the big matches. Like, all the younger up and coming commentators must be fuming!

Explain the different reactions to the goals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkR6zX8Htyo&ab_channel=andrewmorganandrewmorgan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

RonanG86 wrote: »
    The worst part about it is the first clip is probably the most excited I've heard him in about 3 years. He's normally far, far more bored than that.

Compare to: https://youtu.be/lLQougr2Yvw?t=351

Except when talking about Dani Ceballos training as a hairdresser. Her dragged that out for 3 games. Or talking about the Sky sports lockdown pub quizzes. Never thought I’d hear the end of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, it really seems Sky are keeping him for nostalgia purposes - he was there in '92 so lots of people have grown up with him as the leading commentator on the PL.

It's all a bit cringe these days. Back in the day he used to say "and it's live" as an outro before the ad break before kick-off, now he exaggerates the same sentence even though they don't actually go to break anymore.... blatantly doing it 'cos it caught on back in the day so he feels the need to keep doing it even though it makes no real sense.

Reminds me of George Hamilton. You wouldn't think commentators have a use-by date, but they really do. They're like golf, snooker or darts players.... you don't really understand why they're no longer any good when they're older (as they're not really relying on youthful athleticism), but you definitely notice when the jig is up for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Jesus lads, we've just seen one of the most remarkable finishes to a Liverpool game....and that is saying something, we have form! And an incredible escape that keeps our season alive. And we're banging on about the commentator. Who actually gives a flying fck? Seriously??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Fear of letting him go just in case they are accused of ageism. Same could be said at the time for plenty of those well past their sell by date. Not just in sport. Jimmy Magee, Larry Gogan, Marian Finnucane, Murray Walker. Des Lynam. Andy Gray would still be at sky only for his outburst. He’s a dinosaur at Bein sports. Johnny Giles, Eamon Dunphy. Hard to see how new talent gets a foot in at all. All had their time in the sun but there comes a time when they need to leave. I’m sure I’ll be accused of ageism.

MOTD NOW

Andy Gray got the best out of him because he was just so enthusiastic as the colour man beside him.

Smith, Neville & Carra are horrible colour men and Tyler is to old for the modern day Neville, Carra social media banter.

Andy Gray in his prime as a colour man was reason enough to watch a game there really isn't anyone as good as him since then.

There are lots of good play by play guys that really show up how weak Tyler is however none of them work for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

nazmoalex wrote: »
    I'm not bothered who starts today, or how we play even, all that matters are the 3 points.

Still hard to believe we can still do it. A lovely shiny cherry, on a turd of season.

Not the worst first post on the soccer thread :P

Tyler drives me up the wall, Sky should have moved him on shortly after they sacked Andy Gray and the hairy fella. To be fair to him it must be odd commentating on the games with no fans there, surely that must effect his reactions in the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

In keeping with his show of emotion after scoring Thursday night, the celebration from Salah after Alisson scored the winner was a joy to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

The whining from Allardyce makes it even sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I think it's safe to say,regardless of how the last two games go that Klopp hasn't lost the dressing room and he doesn't need to be sacked. There are players out of form and playing badly but you certainly can't fault them for not trying and would do anything to try secure top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Please no Shaq as sub. He adds nothing. There's a very outside chance he might unlock the defense, but give me Gini all day long as a sub.

Shaq does things others dont think of. Like the high ball that was dropping to him in the box. If it dropped to anyone else it ends up like the dozens of other efforts today, over the bar or off target. Everyone on both teams was expecting a panicked snatched shot. Shaq layed it off to a teammate to his right that was in a better position. He does these things all the time, especially when others are hitting opposition defenders with hit and hope shots from distance because they are out of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think it's safe to say,regardless of how the last two games go that Klopp hasn't lost the dressing room and he doesn't need to be sacked. There are players out of form and playing badly but you certainly can't fault them for not trying and would do anything to try secure top 4

Lol, who's asking for him to be sacked? That's crazy talk.

He has the safest job in the league bar Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol wat a day my birthday. baby cretin at 6am says dadda for first time.
    my mother had a bad fall in her 80s nothing bad a sling for a few weeks
    my dads brother died thursday. i had to go up and tell my parents..
    fat sam de utter cnt he desreves to be in 4th league.
    see alluson bit pillow baby c asleep.
    finally beer in hand put on redmen tv roaring wakes baby c up. bobo then alseep.
    wat a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I think it's safe to say,regardless of how the last two games go that Klopp hasn't lost the dressing room and he doesn't need to be sacked.

did anyone actually think this was the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lol, who's asking for him to be sacked? That's crazy talk.

He has the safest job in the league bar Pep.

There was a few here a couple of months ago saying he had lost the dressing room and questioning klopp

There was a few here a couple of months ago saying he had lost the dressing room and questioning klopp

Was there? Ah jaysus, that's ridiculous :pac::pac:

The Mentality Monsters are returning.

Lets be honest here, needing a 93rd minute goal from the keeper, in a game theyve had 75% possession in against a relegated side that they've already drawn against this season , is not one to be holding up as a sign of anything. The game should have been dead and buried long before that.

and only a couple of weeks after conceding late goals to draw games against Leeds and Newcastle.

Shaq does things others dont think of. Like the high ball that was dropping to him in the box. If it dropped to anyone else it ends up like the dozens of other efforts today, over the bar or off target. Everyone on both teams was expecting a panicked snatched shot. Shaq layed it off to a teammate to his right that was in a better position. He does these things all the time, especially when others are hitting opposition defenders with hit and hope shots from distance because they are out of ideas.

That was a lovely touch. But it was literally the only input of any consequence today. Increasingly he offers himself to push the ball sideways. If he did it all the time I'd be delighted, but he doesn't. Nor does he move enough to drop into pockets of space or create as many problems as he might. He's just not as impactful as he needs to be. He's meant to be an impact sub. He's just not.

I must auto-block those posts with my eyes; absolute brain dead talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

After winning the title last year ? Klopp could have ended this season mid table with the goodwill he has from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Wijnaldum getting panned online for his reaction to the goal. Literally just walked back to halfway line with his head down.

That was a lovely touch. But it was literally the only input of any consequence today. Increasingly he offers himself to push the ball sideways. If he did it all the time I'd be delighted, but he doesn't. Nor does he move enough to drop into pockets of space or create as many problems as he might. He's just not as impactful as he needs to be. He's meant to be an impact sub. He's just not.

Look at what else was going on. Hopeless shots from others. Getting balls 25 yards out and hoping one flys in .How many games do teams do that in the last few minutes and it comes to nothing? He tried a couple of his probing balls in to the box with players making runs, that have come off this season. Theres a reason Klopp puts him on.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs........."

Mohamed Bouhafsi who is considered the top reliable journo in France say Liverpool still remain highly interested in signing Mbappe

• Advertisement

Was the goal the first corner that a Liverpool player was first too btw?

A few mins earlier when a West Brom player fought to keep a ball from going out for a corner I was thinking to myself that he shouldn't have bothered. They'd been dealing with all the corners well through the match and the ball was back in play quicker from the throw,

Mohamed Bouhafsi who is considered the top reliable journo in France say Liverpool still remain highly interested in signing Mbappe

I just cant see it. Surely hed be looking for at least what hes already on (330 grand a week ish from googling) . That alone would price him out I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Wijnaldum getting panned online for his reaction to the goal. Literally just walked back to halfway line with his head down.

People are absolute morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Augme

Bit harsh. He might not have been sprinting around but he went over to the group and congratulated Alisson.

Look at what else was going on. Hopeless shots from others. Getting balls 25 yards out and hoping one flys in .How many games do teams do that in the last few minutes and it comes to nothing? He tried a couple of his probing balls in to the box with players making runs, that have come off this season. Theres a reason Klopp puts him on.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs........."

I didn't think there were that many shots, maybe I'm wrong.

I also thought that we had too many people dropping out looking to pick up the ball in the same sort of area. Among them Bobby, Mane, Thiago, Salah, Trent too. Shaq became one more.

I think Gini, with his clever runs unto the box, dragging defenders out of position, creating space for others, would have been the better call. I know what we hope Shaq will do, I just don't think it happens much. And I know it only needs to work once. Anyway, we might agree to differ. Still buzzing from the game. Great we're still in the hunt for top 4. And that Big Sam wasn't able to self promote afterwards. Sweet!

This Wijnaldum ?

giphy.gif

Ah here, stop. Just stop. Gini is an unbelievable player and has given so much to our club, please dont let yourself down with that type of post.

On that note, and with equal chance of it happening, Im highly interested in Rachel Weisz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Would that be the first corner we have scored directly from all season? Or at least one of the very few compared to last few years

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    This Wijnaldum ?

giphy.gif

I don't get why he's getting grief.

Hes literally over with him in the pics taken.

https://twitter.com/GWijnaldum/status/1394011934970744835?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

E1iIjXuWEAM6HE0?format=jpg&name=small

They must have moved the halfway line so or he ran back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Love wijnaldum to bits but there is a stark contrast between his celebrations and the rest of the team/squad.
    I'm not gonna lambast him not celebrating a goal or running over jumping in with the rest of them, he can do what he wants, but I found it strange with the season on the line he barely even reacts to his keeper scoring a 94th minute winner in game we had to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That's just not true, as can be seen from multiple angles here

If anything it’s Robbo who runs to sideline who didn’t celebrate with the rest of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jota out for the last two will make things tougher, he's a real difference maker. Could be relying on Shaq and Origi off the bench in those two games if it's not going our way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm glad the last game of the season is at Anfield and there will be some fans to give the Gini the send off he deserves. He's been a good servant to the club, vital player for a few seasons now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Burnley will have fans back on Wednesday as well which might give them a bit of extra motivation to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

So which goal is people’s favourite last minute winner? Origi vs Everton or Ali vs West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

So which goal is people’s favourite last minute winner? Origi vs Everton or Ali vs West Brom

It's a close one. Origi's, based on the fact that it was against Everton, was obviously a huge one.

However, if we actually finish the season in the top 4, Allison's goal becomes more significant, added to the mentalness of the fact that he's a goalie.

We're due a walk in the park game, hopefully Burnley game is like that, 3 up after 30 minutes. Can't all be nail biters like today Shirley ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement