Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

E1hvx5CXEAQhWAm?format=jpgE1hvx48WUAEnIJG?format=jpg

Trent corner to Allison, shamelessly stolen off Twitter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fitz* wrote: »
    Robbo & Gini looking really really tired these days.

I think Robbo was quiet, bordering on poor yesterday. Which is rare. But understandable given he has been the only constant in the defence this season. I'd worry about what sort of break he'll get this summer but at the same time, Scotland probably won't get past the group stage. As Scotland captain, you can be sure he will want to play every minute of every game in that competition too, as it is rare for them to qualify.

Gini won't really be our problem, but next season could be tough for him. He's wrecked. Came off on 70 mins Thursday night and still needed to be rested on Sunday. The long condensed season has taken it's toll for sure. He's sure to be playing 90 mins in all Holland's games, including the warm up games.

Thought Salah actually looked tired too towards the end, but at least he will have the summer off. It's the autumn we have to worry about Salah, with a couple tournaments he could play in, along with the January AFCON.

Mane will really do with the rest, and potentially a holiday back in Africa too.

On Robbo, I lost track how many times he provided the forward width yesterday when we were chasing.

His crossing was just ok and like others we have a tendency to overplay at the edge of the box but I think he deserves credit for the ground covered. Haven't checked the stats but say he'd be right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Thiago was like a conductor yesterday. Brilliant performance and I think a sign of things to come. Alongside Hendo and Fab, could be absolute quality.

As for Allison, one of the great moments in Liverpool's history. His interview was incredible. What a guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

We are the new Kings of Fergie Time.

Yet you will have some say late goals are luck and lucky.

38 winners at 90minutes or later some some amount of luck.

https://twitter.com/goal/status/1394133071281070083?s=20

We can kitchen sink it to crowbar teams open; that's what it shows. What's baffling is how we can be so insipid (of late) for the vast majority of the game, creating very little of worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

noodler wrote: »
    On Robbo, I lost track how many times he provided the forward width yesterday when we were chasing.

His crossing was just ok and like others we have a tendency to overplay at the edge of the box but I think he deserves credit for the ground covered. Haven't checked the stats but say he'd be right up there.

Oh for sure he will also be there and committed, making those runs etc. Being the man to stay left and stretch the pitch.

Maybe it's just the slower style of football as of late, that his swashbuckling style is not as evident and thus makes it look like he is not as heavily involved. Maybe it's oppositions not giving him as much space to get crosses away. I feel that he seems to get turned back inside a bit. That could be down to fatigue where it is easier to retain possession, rather than trying to go around the outside and get a cross in. He might not have the energy to do that.

It's been a while since we saw those Trent-Robbo passes to each other in space.

I still have every faith in Robbo to get back to top form next season after a break in the summer. Tsmikas needs to get used more often next season, but having a settled CB partnership will allow that rotation in the full back areas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,295 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That unreal Trent's been amazing the last month the kid has it all ,
    He had a dip like all young lads do ,

Our back 4 of Trent , Robbo & whoever is fit on the day usual a kid & a CM have let in the same amount of goals as United , who have two team of the season players in Shaw & Maguire with ,Lindelöf & AWB who is suppose d to be amazing at defending ,

Trent is one of the most naturally gifted players england have produced in the past 30 years.

If they cant figure out how to use him then it tells you all you need to know.

that team should be built around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Trent missing out says more about Southgate than Trent if it happens.

Southgate has been very lucky bordering on the luckiest manager out there.

He was very poor as a club manager. Got in the England set up based on who he was as a player not as a manager. Got lucky to be in the right place at the right time with the Big Sam fiasco to get the main job. Also took over an England squad with tonnes of potential and no expectations (first time in decades). Overachieved at world cup and now has a serious crop to chose from.

No knock on Walker, Trippier or Reece James. All three are top notch players. But realistically none of them can offer what Trent does. You could argue "Trent doesn't defend as well as all 3" and that probably is right, but to not give yourself that option of pure quality for when you need it in place of defensive solidity shows a manager without confidence in his own ability.

I'm assuming the article is click bait until proven otherwise. But if it isn't its only a good thing for Liverpool. Our squad as a whole needs a good rest and refresh, and giving Trent a summer off could give us the perfect start to the 2021/22 season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

That's nuts if correct, who is in instead of him?

If Ingerland have 2 or 3 better right backs than him, then lump on them for the Euros, they are bound to win it.

Feel for the lad himself though, even if the rest will do him good.

Southgate doesn't want his RBs to be the creative outlet. So if he only wants his right back to defend and overlap, then bringing Trent will likely seem pointless to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Looks like only Milner and Ox will be back from injury for the last 2 games, so, we're really down to the bare bones in some positions, was hoping Kabak would be back as Williams is a liability.
    Burnley will be a hard nut to crack especially after the heavy defeat they had against Leeds on Saturday, you know Dyche will have them drilled to keep a clean sheet, if we get the 3 points there, I think we should take care of Palace. I think we'll be hanging on to ours seats right up until the last few minutes of both games, we never seem to win any game comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not a fan of putting Fab in at CB. But if I had to for one of the 2 remaining games, I'd chose Palace every day. They are more dangerous and attacking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

If you missed MotD2 last night, here it is again. Liverpool are up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

After been useless the last 18 months "or more" Benteke of all people did have to be in some form didn't he.... Palace last day of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

Brendan is amongst us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We win our two then that's top 4 after that I'd like to see it go like this.

Leicester win at Chelsea and lose at Spurs.

Chelsea lose to Leicester and Villa.

Spurs win at Wolves and Leicester to finish 5th.

Chelsea lose the Champions league final and a top 4 place and the FA Cup Final all in the space of two weeks.

I do think if City win the Champions League Pep might walk after completing the job he was hired to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Going by this model, a Leicester win would be the best scenario for Liverpool. This would mean that the Liverpool-Chelsea battle for 4th would be decided on points, rather than GD.

The GW38 fixtures of Villa-Chelsea & Leicester-Spurs are tough too. At the moment, Spurs can still get top 4.

E1kcQgTWYAAB0WZ?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

SlickRic wrote: »
    Southgate doesn't want his RBs to be the creative outlet. So if he only wants his right back to defend and overlap, then bringing Trent will likely seem pointless to him.

I really do understand that take and its fair enough but what if England are struggling to break down a side or chasing a goal to get back in the game ?

How many side's in Europe are used to a right back who can conduct things and create so much , its seem so silly not to bring a weapon that any other side have or will come up against , Trent is very hard to plan for as he's something completely different ,

To me it makes no sense to leave a weapon like him at home & instead having like for likes on your bench,

Like back in the day you'd have Crouch on the bench just to offer something different ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We win our two then that's top 4 after that I'd like to see it go like this.

Leicester win at Chelsea and lose at Spurs.

Chelsea lose to Leicester and Villa.

Spurs win at Wolves and Leicester to finish 5th.

Chelsea lose the Champions league final and a top 4 place and the FA Cup Final all in the space of two weeks.

I do think if City win the Champions League Pep might walk after completing the job he was hired to do.

I think Pep will take a break after City and then go to Juventus or PSG.

He follows the money to buy the players that will play his system. :)

Our game against Palace will probably be Hodgson's last game every as a manager.

Roy to come back to Anfield and have the last laugh :(

I wonder is there any lads for Burnley who could be possibly playing there last home game against us ?
    What I'm getting at is there anyone who'll get a game that normally doesn't or shouldn't

I just goggled it and lads out of contract are m Gudmuddson , Lowton,Brady, Pieters ,Long, Bardsley ,

Wonder will nay of them start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fitz* wrote: »
    Going by this model, a Leicester win would be the best scenario for Liverpool. This would mean that the Liverpool-Chelsea battle for 4th would be decided on points, rather than GD.

The GW38 fixtures of Villa-Chelsea & Leicester-Spurs are tough too. At the moment, Spurs can still get top 4.

E1kcQgTWYAAB0WZ?format=png&name=small

And even on top of that, if Leicester beat Chelsea, it means their max points is 67, which we could achieve with a win and a draw. So it’s a little extra lifeline in case one of these last 2 games goes wrong - as long as we score a few in the other game to beef up goal difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd rather Chelsea won the champions league. For all the money City have spent, Ol Big Ears the one thing that they haven't been able to win/buy. It's also the one thing they crave so much. Winning it will put them onto another level in European and World standings.
    Chelsea are just as horrible, but have won it already so winning it a second time will make no major difference to the club itself.

As for the Trent thing. Every other national side in Europe would give anything to have him in their starting 11, let alone the squad. If he's not in, it says an awful lot about the England camp.

I really do understand that take and its fair enough but what if England are struggling to break down a side or chasing a goal to get back in the game ?

How many side's in Europe are used to a right back who can conduct things and create so much , its seem so silly not to bring a weapon that any other side have or will come up against , Trent is very hard to plan for as he's something completely different ,

To me it makes no sense to leave a weapon like him at home & instead having like for likes on your bench,

Like back in the day you'd have Crouch on the bench just to offer something different ,

for the record, I think Southgate is insane if he doesn't bring him.

i'm just saying, i can see where he is coming from.

Kyle Walker has to go, as he's a very good RB, and he can cover in a 3 man defence.
    Trippier will go because Southgate is loyal, Trippier has played well for him, and he will argue he has a similar set pieces standard to Trent.
    AWB could well be brought if Southgate is really concerned with games where England's back is against the wall, as he's a great recovery defender.

but as someone else said, it says way more about how Southgate wants to set his team up. I actually respect it in a weird way. too many coaches pick 'the best players' and try to shoehorn it. he's a way he wants to play, and he'll pick players he thinks suit it. i think he's wrong, but meh.

SlickRic wrote: »
    for the record, I think Southgate is insane if he doesn't bring him.

i'm just saying, i can see where he is coming from.

Kyle Walker has to go, as he's a very good RB, and he can cover in a 3 man defence.
    Trippier will go because Southgate is loyal, Trippier has played well for him, and he will argue he has a similar set pieces standard to Trent.
    AWB could well be brought if Southgate is really concerned with games where England's back is against the wall, as he's a great recovery defender.

but as someone else said, it says way more about how Southgate wants to set his team up. I actually respect it in a weird way. too many coaches pick 'the best players' and try to shoehorn it. he's a way he wants to play, and he'll pick players he thinks suit it. i think he's wrong, but meh.

AWB has never been picked for a single squad,
    Reece James of Chelsea will go ,

Trent should go ahead of Trippier .

AWB has never been picked for a single squad,
    Reece James of Chelsea will go ,

Trent should go ahead of Trippier .

good point on James. totally slipped my mind. he'll go for a similar reason, plus he's a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There will be no favours from Burnley of Palace.
    Great to see Mane and Salah linking up a lot in recent games, another yesterday they were at it full time. Mane to Salah for the goal, and Salah straight away pointing to Mane '' you you you''!!
    Good to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Trent to miss out on England call up.

Great news for Liverpool! Gets a good rest before pre-season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9587097/Trent-Alexander-Arnold-set-MISS-England-squad-Euro-2020.html

I genuinely have always thought Gareth Southgate to be a fairly incompetent manager, well before his England days. Having him at the helm with the current generation of talent is an utter waste, and this, if true, will be just another reason as to why.

Trent is one of a handful of players who can win you a game on his own. Play him midfield if you don't want to play him RB. Or at least have him on the bench to bring on, but not bringing him because you don't know how or where to play him is a damning inditement of his managerial skills.

Hard on Trent, but I'll be delighted if he doesn't go tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No fan of big Sam and no sympathy for West Brom generally but that pic is a reminder of Gallagher’s performance. Warrior like performance, throwing himself into tackles all day. Looks gutted to get beat.

You get nothing easy - last two games will be extremely difficult also.

We get nothing easy, Leicester were gift wrapped 3 points at Old Trafford courtesy of their fans and the FA.

mormank wrote: »
    We get nothing easy, Leicester were gift wrapped 3 points at Old Trafford courtesy of their fans and the FA.

Leicester win at United & Chelsea's one at City are really annoying me ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Trent not making an expanded Euro squad is lunatic running the asylum stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,295 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

robwen wrote: »
    Trent not making an expanded Euro squad is lunatic running the asylum stuff

if southgate is that wedded to his style of play that trippier travels and TAA doesnt then england will go nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭mormank

Me too. The Leicester one in paticular I'm fuming about because it simply unlevels the playing field in Leicester's favour and nobody seems to give a damn about it. As though Leicester getting to play a second string utd at Old Trafford is just par for the course. Well it's not, its an absolute disgrace imo. Mick Mc Carthy was fined by the FA for doing the exact same thing that the FA encouraged Utd to do. It's mind boggling to me how no one even cares tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's funny cos everytime I watch that goal, I'm not expecting it to go in, and then it does.

Better than heroin.

Anyway here it is with the Baywatch music.

https://twitter.com/rossic89/status/1394024381316321280?s=19

I see Kane linked wit a move away from Spurs again
    We should 100% try for him
    He'd be sensational in the Firmino roll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

When we win the CL next year, I'll frame this.

E1mi9_dWYAYirHm?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I see Kane linked wit a move away from Spurs again
    We should 100% try for him
    He'd be sensational in the Firmino roll

Daniel Levy would empty Liverpool’s bank account if we even sniffed at him. What would he cost ? 150m. I think even Utd would balk at that price. His wages are currently 200k per week. I’d take Son before Kane but he would be expensive also. French league is taking a hammering financially, as is the Italian league. Surely there is bargains to be had there instead of in PL. Cavani for Utd should be an example of good business for short term gain if stuck.

Mbappe would work out cheaper than Kane just for his resale value alone in 5 seasons.

If Man U go for Kane it might leave Sancho open to join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can see him having to stay with no-one able to fork over what Levy would want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Anybody get a pic of Sam as Ali scored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Anybody get a pic of Sam as Ali scored

03666197-392787.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

noodler wrote: »
    I can see him having to stay with no-one able to fork over what Levy would want

Kanes last contract screwed him. He's gonna be about 30 at the end of it. He's good enough to command a record for a British player. Bale and Maguire are currently about 80/85m pounds as the most expensive.
    Kane is surely worth that, probably more even in covid times. He has 3 years left on his contract so Levy can name a price and stick to it.
    He's as good as Edwards at getting the fees he wants.

If Man U go for Kane it might leave Sancho open to join us.

If we make champions league Sancho would be a nice way for FSG to start making amends to Klopp, Jürgen seems to be a big fan of his, any idea what the fee he can reportedly leave for this summer is

robwen wrote: »
    If we make champions league Sancho would be a nice way for FSG to start making amends to Klopp, Jürgen seems to be a big fan of his, any idea what the fee he can reportedly leave for this summer is

I think £85m/€100m is being said.

Edit, Even offering Elliott on loan for a season as part of a deal might be an idea.

It would be a good test for Elliott and BVB are great at getting the best out of young talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I think £85m/€100m is being said.

Konate for £30ish million & the centre mids we are being linked with seem to be around the £30 mill mark aswell (Bissouma, Neuhaus etc.) Sancho wouldn't seem out of the question if we make champs league.
    Origi, Shaqiri, Wilson, Grujic & I see Keita linked with Leicester Palace & Atletico today would raise a decent chunk even in the covid market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You should be far more annoyed by the Leeds and Newcastle games a couple of weeks back. Points thrown away (along with plenty of others during the season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The Leicester away game sticks out, dominated them, 0-1 up with 15 minutes to play and we collapse to a 3-1 defeat. That was a huge result but this season is littered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Why aren't we one of the clubs mentioned as a possible destination for Harry Kane?, we should be doing everything we can to bring him in

• Advertisement
Advertisement