Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Ikozma wrote: »
    Why aren't we one of the clubs mentioned as a possible destination for Harry Kane?, we should be doing everything we can to bring him in

1. Too expensive
    2. Wages too high
    3. Wrong age profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

You should be far more annoyed by the Leeds and Newcastle games a couple of weeks back. Points thrown away (along with plenty of others during the season)

Exactly,plus if Chelsea hadn't beaten city then they don't take their eye off the ball against Arsenal and would of beaten them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Would it be a good idea to sell Kane from Spurs POV?

They're going nowhere with him (no real fault of his) and EVERYTHING had to go through him, often at the cost of other players like Son, Moura etc who can do extraordinary things when Kane isn't there, but are often in the background when he's there.

Liverpool sold their main man Coutinho a few years ago, reinvested the money we'll and won the league and European Cup.

If Spurs did the same, say 120/140 million, and spent it well, maybe they can kick on. As it is, with Kane for 3 more years, it's perpetual 5th /7th place for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sure if we did sign Kane his ankles would finally give out.

Would it be a good idea to sell Kane from Spurs POV?

They're going nowhere with him (no real fault of his) and EVERYTHING had to go through him, often at the cost of other players like Son, Moura etc who can do extraordinary things when Kane isn't there, but are often in the background when he's there.

Liverpool sold their main man Coutinho a few years ago, reinvested the money we'll and won the league and European Cup.

If Spurs did the same, say 120/140 million, and spent it well, maybe they can kick on. As it is, with Kane for 3 more years, it's perpetual 5th /7th place for them.

Spurs sold there last main man Bale and blew the €100m on terrible signings.

The Echo reporting that Liverpool are only going to sign one defender this summer and are eager to keep Phillps and Williams around next season.

So I'm guessing that's not good news for Kabak then as it looks like Konate will be the signing.

Delighted for Nat if true he deserves another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I love how he has to verbalise how gutted he is on 2.30. He is so disgusted to have lost. Gives me so much pleasure. "It happens....goalkeeper comes up....quality ball....". Eh, no Sam, it doesn't happen very much to be honest. But it did to you. And you didn't get to ring the red nosed one like a dutiful boy asking for praise. He'd have loved that. Still so pleased with this result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

1. Too expensive
    2. Wages too high
    3. Wrong age profile

100-120 Mill should get him, is that too expensive when tbh with mo they get 50 goals between them
    He's currently on 200,000 a wk same as salah, offer him 250
    Theres a good 4/5 seasons in him, pace isnt his strong point so he won't be losing that over time

I just think it's a no brainer, we win the league 3-4 times with him as striker, maybe even a cl or 2,be the best money we ever spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Echo reporting that Liverpool are only going to sign one defender this summer and are eager to keep Phillps and Williams around next season.

So I'm guessing that's not good news for Kabak then as it looks like Konate will be the signing.

Delighted for Nat if true he deserves another season.

It would also suggest they're sticking with Matip.

I don't have a huge problem with it. It's still another body at CB than what we started with.

Over the subsequent 2 or 3 windows we should be looking to cycle one or two out and one or two in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder was Kabak told he was not going to be signed permanently and he had a hissy fit, hence why he is not included in the squad these days? The injury is a convenient cover up.

Maybe I'm being too cynical. He did seem to be playing with an injury around the time of Arsenal and Real Madrid games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Fitz* wrote: »
    I wonder was Kabak told he was not going to be signed permanently and he had a hissy fit, hence why he is not included in the squad these days? The injury is a convenient cover up.

Maybe I'm being too cynical. He did seem to be playing with an injury around the time of Arsenal and Real Madrid games.

In fairness its pretty ****ty if it did work out like that. He came in and did a fairly decent job and then to be told he wasn't wanted.i wouldn't blame him if he was pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think signing Kabak is almost risk free, if he doesn't work out he will still hold his market value and if he does we get a cheap CB who we could get a decade out of. I suppose they have had long enough to look at him up close, both on and off the pitch so should know at this stage if he's likely to work out long term.

In fairness its pretty ****ty if it did work out like that. He came in and did a fairly decent job and then to be told he wasn't wanted.i wouldn't blame him if he was pissed off

Yeah I thought he did well to be fair and would have liked to see him kept on.

Another train of thought I had is maybe the club did some tests on VVD/Gomez/Matip recently and they have received results confirming that the 3 should return to play in the summer. Kabak could have been a fall back option if any of those were going to be out for any longer period of time with set backs etc. Especially Gomez who had the worst case injury of the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm one of the few glad we aren't throwing 18m on him.

He might come good one day but not worth anything like that based on his performances for us.

Yeah, he did ok, sometimes but that's not 18m when you have three other CBs to come back and he is an upgrade on none of them.

Much better to put the money on the Konate lad if he stands a chance of starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Kabak should be kept along with Nat. Both will learn a lot more with VVD or Matip to guide them.

Play Matip as often as possible, when he has his inevitable injury break then stick in one of the others. Rotate VVD out for Cup matches and the odd PL match, using Gomez and Matip instead, or Kabak and Nat instead of one of Gomez or Matip.

Robertson needs cover too, he's played almost every minute of this season, missed one match and rarely subbed off. Played 36 matches last season. He needs a break and we can't afford to have him picking up niggly injuries.

No idea what the story with Tsimkas or Davies is. I don't think Rhys is fast enough for our style of play, especially when the full team is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I wouldn’t be expecting us to sign any more cover for Robertson this summer. I think it’s more likely that Klopp will try something mad like converting Shaqiri or Wilson to a left wing back than actually signing another left back that’ll never play because Robbo is just so good and consistently available.

Just to be clear, I’m using a lot of hyperbole in those examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The reason I don't like big sam is he used to fawn over Ferguson. He seemed to have a thing for us too, maybe because of his love for Utd. he's consistently annoyed me over the years, he's no Mourinho but I don't like him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

KevRossi wrote: »
    Kabak should be kept along with Nat. Both will learn a lot more with VVD or Matip to guide them.

Play Matip as often as possible, when he has his inevitable injury break then stick in one of the others. Rotate VVD out for Cup matches and the odd PL match, using Gomez and Matip instead, or Kabak and Nat instead of one of Gomez or Matip.

Robertson needs cover too, he's played almost every minute of this season, missed one match and rarely subbed off. Played 36 matches last season. He needs a break and we can't afford to have him picking up niggly injuries.

No idea what the story with Tsimkas or Davies is. I don't think Rhys is fast enough for our style of play, especially when the full team is back.

It's still insane to me that we weren't doing this previously. We played him a ridiculous amount, even in cup games when most of the starting XI was rested. Obviously hindsight and all but we were asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The reason I don't like big sam is he used to fawn over Ferguson. He seemed to have a thing for us too, maybe because of his love for Utd. he's consistently annoyed me over the years, he's no Mourinho but I don't like him

Yeah I remember the whole thing 09 when he whinged about Rafa showing him disrespect with a hand gesture and Ferguson weighing in to saying it was "beyond the pale". :rolleyes:

Rafa made the gesture after his instructions weren't followed but Torres scored anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I saw that RB could sign Kabak to replace Konate so maybe that's the reason we are not going to hold on to him.

I think Nat's performances may have convinced Klopp to keep him for cover for free instead of paying another 18 million for Kabak who will be 3rd or 4th choice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's still insane to me that we weren't doing this previously. We played him a ridiculous amount, even in cup games when most of the starting XI was rested. Obviously hindsight and all but we were asking for trouble.

I'm not sure how playing VVD in cup games had anything to do with the Pickford assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I'm not sure how playing VVD in cup games had anything to do with the Pickford assault.

Isn't it obvious? Just like Gomez, Matip and Thiago injuries being the fault of our new physio who has a history of injuries wherever he works.;):rolleyes:

just watching MOTD and the commentary for Alisson's goal is fantastic in comparison to Sky Tyler's bland depiction. Between that and no crowd football has no atmosphere on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

just watching MOTD and the commentary for Alisson's goal is fantastic in comparison to Sky Tyler's bland depiction. Between that and no crowd football has no atmosphere on Sky.

Don't MOTD fill in the commentary after the fact?

noodler wrote: »
    Don't MOTD fill in the commentary after the fact?

No they use the commentary from the world feeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just a pity Peter Drury wasn't commentating on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just a pity Peter Drury wasn't commentating on the game.

Someone posted a video with his commentary a few pages back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

2 days on, still have this going around my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Two days later and I’m still watching the video of the goal.

Mainly to see Mo’s reaction....it’s pure class.

• Advertisement

Just seen Roy Hodgson's last day at Palace is against us at Anfield. I now wish to Christ we'd let him sit in the directors box that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Just seen Roy Hodgson's last day at Palace is against us at Anfield. I now wish to Christ we'd let him sit in the directors box that time.

Yea, this is a bit of a balls. Palace will be well up for it. I suppose it might play to our advantage too. Hard to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Palace have prior in upsetting last day celebrations too....remember Gerrard's final home game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

We will smash Palace.

Oddly enough, I'm calm in this moment about Burnley with Nat being there. If it was Fab/Rhys there, I would not be.

Could also be the case that we are not going to sign Kabak as part of the Konate deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Trent to miss out on England call up.

Great news for Liverpool! Gets a good rest before pre-season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9587097/Trent-Alexander-Arnold-set-MISS-England-squad-Euro-2020.html

Crazy decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

If you were to pick a World 11, the closest English player to it would be Trent - he would be in it if in form. Honestly would be a head scratcher not to bring him. If Southgate is worried about him defensively, I’d want to see what he’s like in a midfield 3 with Henderson & Rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If you were to pick a World 11, the closest English player to it would be Trent - he would be in it if in form. Honestly would be a head scratcher not to bring him. If Southgate is worried about him defensively, I’d want to see what he’s like in a midfield 3 with Henderson & Rice.

The defensive argument is fair enough but it makes no sense if he bring Tripper ,Walker & James . if he was bringing 2 Rb's then fair enough but not when he will bring 3

The 3rd one should be attacking who better than one that creates and dictates games the one who has abilities none of the other 3 have,

If your chasing a game there are only so many forwards you can put on without losing control of the game, Trent allows you to keep control while adding another attacking option & a weapon like no one else in the tournament has or will come up against

Its actually criminal for him not to go ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Klopp just said there is a tiny, tiny chance for Diogo to play at the weekend.

jebidiah wrote: »
    Klopp just said there is a tiny, tiny chance for Diogo to play at the weekend.

Got completely confused with the days and when the games are. Be nice to have him as an option against Palace alright.

• Advertisement

If Chelsea go in for Kane and get him, I'd offer them £40m for Werner.

I think a season under his belt in the Premier League now he will kick on and start putting away the chances he is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

noodler wrote: »
    I'm one of the few glad we aren't throwing 18m on him.

He might come good one day but not worth anything like that based on his performances for us.

Yeah, he did ok, sometimes but that's not 18m when you have three other CBs to come back and he is an upgrade on none of them.

Much better to put the money on the Konate lad if he stands a chance of starting.

Totally agree. There's hardly a queue of top-level teams lining up to sign him if Liverpool pass on him. He'd be warming the bench if the other CBs are ever all fully fit again. He's done ok but ok isn't enough.

dmigsy wrote: »
    Totally agree. There's hardly a queue of top-level teams lining up to sign him if Liverpool pass on him. He'd be warming the bench if the other CBs are ever all fully fit again. He's done ok but ok isn't enough.

I can't understand why people are surprised,
    He's only been marginally better than Rhys Williams & probably the same as Nat Phillips ,
    This isn't Liverpool under Roy Hodgson we have moved on from players like that being brought in full time ,

Also how have people forgot in January we tried other CB;s before him and for numerous reason failed & Kabak was literally brought in on the last day when we couldn't get anyone else,

The lad done his best for us so fair play and he will get a move to another decent club, So it'll have worked out for everyone ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chelsea win tonight, Leicester were at the Cherry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Top 4 is not what we aim for and I doubt a winner like Klopp does either but given the season has went it would be a massive achievement to qualify for CL football next season. We have dealt with a defence for most the season of Philips, Williams, Kabak and Fabinho - it wouldn't look out of place in the championship.
    The financial implications of not qualifying would only cut us further adrift of City and risk our long term place in the Top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Football would be more exciting if the manager where allowed play in the added time at end of game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That's why Hodgson is retiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If Chelsea go in for Kane and get him, I'd offer them £40m for Werner.

I think a season under his belt in the Premier League now he will kick on and start putting away the chances he is getting.

imagine if we had gave him the salah wages he wanted to join,and he had a season like he has had.. squad morale would be fcuked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

You'd pick a player for the Euros in a position he never plays in?

This is a good point but surely he is worth having if you need to chance a game no need to have 3 lads who are the same type of player in James, Walker & Tripper

To be honest RWB probably suits him more than RB ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’m saying if I’m Southgate and I’m worried about his defensive capabilities well then I would look at the option of playing him on the right side of a midfield 3. There’s always been talk of him moving there eventually as that’s where he grew up playing but he’s not needed there at Liverpool because our attack is set up for him as a RB where as England’s isn’t. I think Trent in midfield would provide you with just as much if not more than Ward-Prowse or Mount who will probably play that role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement