Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They do always struggle to get back up to full intensity again -- but, I think this bit of time off will stand to the team come the final months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We have seen that in almost every season under Klopp struggle every January when he rests the first team players for the cup games and they then lose momentum and struggle to get back up to speed only to then have a great close to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Regarding refreshing this squad, genuinely think we are too late. Holes needed to be plugged in 2019 and in every window since.

Unless some youth really steps up, then we have far too much to do in a single window, and seemingly no money to do it anyway.

What do we realistically need to keep up with City and Chelsea? Two very good midfielders and two forwards? No chance of that coming in a single window. By the time we've got good depth there, the defence will need looking at again.

Fsg love the Wenger and David Dein approach at Arsenal, guaranteed champions League revenue whilst spending feck all, I think history (CL win aside) will show there are alot of similarities with Arsenal in their period of success and the years that followed.

When our rivals got their **** together we were never really interested in spending to contest for titles, but we would celebrate them if things fell our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At the same time, i think it's fairly safe to say we'd have spent a bit more in the past few years if not for the absolute catastrophe of a Pandemic occurring, turning us from a position of expecting healthy profits to suffering hefty losses.

I read a good quote recently in a paper, the journo was predicting what would be written when Klopp leaves, the club overachieved to reach the top, then underachieved once they got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Don't blame the players,blame fsg,our squad is and has been woefully inept for years now,they're only interest is to improve the clubs infrastructure so they can make more money when they sell,which for our sake better be quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

When your cb(matip) is your most threatening attacking player then you've got serious problems

• Advertisement

Yikes.

Would hate to have seen your thoughts when things were actually bad 😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Statistically Klopp since his take over has had abysmal months of January

''In total, Klopp has overseen 44 matches across all competitions in January since arriving at Liverpool and has won just 19. They have drawn 11 and lost 14, meaning the Reds have failed to win almost 57 per cent of their January games under the German''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Id imagine the stats for February aren't much better...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I fell asleep before the game, but checked the stats online. How the hell did pool not hammer those fcukers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

One shot on target (in the 90th minute, I think)...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://youtu.be/W3zdTEAjkAU

TIFO has some suggestions on possible transfers for us up top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Curtis Jones was our MOM in the IMO which says it all. Closely followed by Neco Williams.

Once Arsenal went to 10 men Klopp should have taken off Milner and put Jones on.

Fabinho, Henderson and Milner offer the same thing when in possession of the ball in regards to their passing ability.

We aren't signing anyone this window but serious questions will need to be asked if significant investment doesn't happen during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The club knew last summer both Salah and Mane ( also Kieta ) would be out for January due to Afcon, yet didn't bring anyone in despite knowing the likely backup of Origi ( he won't be back until early February btw) and Minamino aren't good enough - both should probably have been let go and bring in a decent replacement. It's the same pattern as before, we saw it last season with the defence and also Gini not being replaced. There's only so long you can go and still stay at the top without proper investment. Unfortunately we are reverting back to a top 4 team who are unlikely to seriously challenge for the league and CL in the coming seasons.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Salah, personally think we should do all we can to hold onto him, as it'll cost an absolute fortune to replace him, also the fee we would get for him wouldn't be enough to buy his replacement never mind rebuild the team as some on here seem to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We were always going to struggle with Salah and Mane out. Add in Keita as well and then the disruption we have had the past 4 weeks with Covid, is it a surprise that we lacked cohesion? Yes, I am looking for the silver lining here, hopefully the players will be better for tonight so the weekend will be better. Then the next semi will be better as well.

Hopefully with more training together the players will perform better on the field.

Most of players on the pitch last night have been together a long time.

For our front 3? How many minutes have those players had with the others, never mind as a 3 together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I fell asleep during the game...that might give you an indication of why we didn't hammer them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Why would they sell and who is going to buy? Liverpool is a very healthy asset for FSG, remember they're business people first and people in these situations don't tend to offload increasing assets. We are worth well over a billion dollars at this stage and I fully expect that to climb expeditiously over the next decade so I cannot see FSG selling in that time. Also as we grow buyers at that end of the market are very few and far between and it can take years to procure a deal with figures like that involved.

Yeah, they will have been training together with the squad but will now get to train as a 3 more because they will be playing together. I assume the team works together before a match with the intended 11 and last nights front 3 would have had very little time together on either the training pitch or on the field.

Nobody with any sense will buy Liverpool now. It would cost way more than £1billion and anyone willing to spend that much on a football club, well you would have to question where and how they got their money. Those that have the cash to buy Liverpool would not spend it on a football club as they know there is no real option to make money from the club and will only cost money if you want to keep the fans happy.

FSG bought the club at the best time, with the club worth a fraction of what it is now. Look at the spending of City and Chelsea, they have both spent more than £1b of their owners money. You have to question any owner willing to part with that much of their own money. We are however on the way to building ourselves to be in United's position, but it will take a little more time to get there. Fan impatience though will make it tough before we reach this.

Yes people who throw out these statements like FSG must go and the likes are not really grasping what is happening at that end. You see it year in year out with UTD and the Glazers. No shareholder is going to agree to the sale of an asset if it showing such growth and there is no end in sight to that growth for the foreseeable future.

And if they did sell, who would buy us at that cost? Corrupt Saudis or the Chinese? A big no thank you there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How could Klopp watch that from minute 24 to minute 61 before making a change ?

Any other top manger would have changed it at half time , a couple of things stood out a mile ,

The midfield 3 had to changed ,Jota did not work well playing form the right the right,

Robbo although brilliant does not suit playing against when you Tsimakas who is far more controlled on the ball on the bench

At half time , Milner & Robbo should have been off, for OX x7 Tsimakas,

We should have gone 2 holding in midfield , Ox wide right for width ( to be fair Neco done it brilliantly but to late ) , Bobby in the hole, Taki left & Jota up front,

Our value won't rise if we are not successful, klopp won't be around much longer,we have already wasted his managerial tenure,fsg won't strengthen the squad,and unless they invest significantly in the squad there's only one way we will go and it's not up

The commercial profile FSG has built for the club over the last number of years will mean that its value will continue to rise for the foreseeable regardless of on field success. These investors don't take on these projects if profitability and growth is based off on field success, it would be a huge risk to do that. They buy clubs like Liverpool because of the marketability and they can make money from the brand. Look at Arsenal for example, they haven't won anything of note in going on 20 years but it doesn't stop the value of the asset increasing year on year.

After last night im starting to think we might be best off playing a front 3 of Jota (L) BOBBY(cf) Neco (R)

I think Neco might be a better option than Taki in attack or is Taki miss just blinding me,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yesterday was a tough watch, but on reflection, I honestly believe that a lot of that was down to lack of rhythm.

At this stage we are infamous for needing to keep playing in order to keep the rhythm.

Neco and Ox did well when on last night, but I think it also took the team that long to get back into the rhythm of what they do, and doing it at speed.

it was obvious that Trent was out of sync. he didn't look himself at all.

there is no doubt we missed Salah and Mane, but I think even they would've struggled with how slow our buildup was, and how slow our counter-press was.

We'll be fine. I expect to beat Arsenal next week once we get the weekend's game under our belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm not joking here, but I honestly think the breaks for the cups in January fúck us.

His style is all about rhythm and timing. You only get that with repetition. Any breaks always mess us up.

Origi back running outside,

Hopefully at least on the bench for the second leg next Thursday , Thiago was a HUGE miss last night ,

I reckon Cardiff at home we will see Elliot on the bench ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Serious investment is needed in the summer, fears of the pandemic hitting revenues have passed, their should be no excuses. 2 forwards and 2 midfielders will make us a force again, we still have a world class spine.

Our problem is it'll take two summer windows for that and by that time other lads will be gone or old ,

We had our two golden season's under Klopp , We will be fighting for top 4 for the foreseeable future,

Time to dampen expectations again I'm afraid ,

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

whatever about Salah but have people forgotten just how bad Mane has been the past 12 months? Dunno if he would have made much of a difference last night considering he can barely control a ball the majority of the time recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't agree with this at all, I thought Mane was exactly what we were missing last night, I know he goes through purple patches of not scoring goals, which is obviously a pain, but he tends to stretch opposition defences with his strength and ability to hold onto the ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any update on Thiago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

I can appreciate the club have a transfer/wage structure that doesn't damage the finances and stock market value of the club - BUT i want to believe that Klopp and his people are knocking on the door of the owner saying that the squad is light on its feet regarding having players with enough quality to compete for more trophies. And im sure many of us fans dont see the quality there at the moment to win week in week out like we did in recent seasons

At first when Pep played one defensive, and two out and out forward thinking players in midfield it didn't work, but all great managers never drift from their beliefs and he persisted until it did work. It only took him his first season in Premier League to get his team sorted. Now whether he goes 3 in midfield, or 5 with one up, they are all attack minded goal scoring players, with only one defensive

Henderson went fit tends to play, but Fabinho must also play, straight away there is a conflict, as ideally you'd only want one of them in midfield

Ideally we'd go

_________Alisson___

Trent___Konate_VVD_Roberston

____Fabihno___Thiago__

Salah____Firmino_______Mane_

_________Haaland_____

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'd hate to see Haaland in the Liverpool team.

The lad is a goal scoring machine but is all about the money. His father and agent happily make it public that they'll fly around Europe looking for his next move and pay rise.

He has the talent to be one of the best but the greed and people around him will have him moving every few years. Hell eventually end up somewhere on a contract that can't be bought out for due to the buying cost so will let it run down all while looking for the next move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It shouldn't take that long to bring in 3 or 4 players. We aren't going spend ridiculous money but we need a starting midfielder, one to challenge Henderson spot. We need a CF and a winger to challenge Salah and Mane. GK, full back and centre back are sound for another couple years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely, this. I posted this during the game last night, Mane is a pain for opposition defences, stretches the pitch harries and hastles continuously, creates space for the rest of the team as well as being a threat himself. All the lads playing last night kept coming to the ball and compressing the play, Mane adds pace and a threat in behind that nobody apart from Mo provides us.

His goals come and go, his finishing isn't 100% or anything like it, but he's pivotal to how we play.

January and February are strange months for us, we rely on rhythm and flow in our game, and it's disappointing that Klopp and his backroom team haven't learned how to manage the broken schedule that occurs this time every year. It's a small enough black mark on his tenure but it's there.

Last night was like a lot of games last season without crowds, we struggled then to break down disciplined massed defences, and it happened again last night. Indeed, we've faced 10 men a few times this season and we've struggled on every occasion.

I think we'll still beat Arsenal next week BTW.

The whole ' first million a week player'' is a dream. I don't see how any club could do that. Ideally at 21 he'd end up at somewhere like Liverpool, before going to Madrid at 26. If he goes there straight away Real will have a 900m buyout clause, and he'll be stuck there for better or worse, good time and bad.We should be going all out for him, as an investment, even if it only turns a profit of 1 pound in 4 years.

• Advertisement

It shouldn't but it will, we won't sign four players in one window, & we don't sign players in January so it'll be two summers , & that if we are lucky ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane & Naby Lad going head to head 0-0 with 10 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Arsenal looking to have a game postponed? Long road without a turn, isn't it?

Another MOM for Naby lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What odds. He doesn't have enough of them for us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement