Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I think everyone knows we can't compete financially with city, utd and Chelsea. The problem with Liverpool is they didn't invest *at all* after peaking with champions League and league wins. We've gone backwards and all rivals have strengthened. Mid table teams are outspending Liverpool at the moment. I'm all for running the club properly and not blowing 100mil on squad players but we need investment to compete.

Ps give Salah whatever he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

But look at the amount of money utd have squandered since post Fergie. I could be wrong but weren't liverpool the biggest spenders in the 90's. Now don't get me wrong I am as frustrated as you that the squad isn't being refreshed enough but unless there is a good manager and strategy in place then throwing money at the problem doesn't necessarily solve the issues the whole time

The lesson to be learned is not to squander the money. Liverpool have a famed unit for identifying players. I am not advocating spending a vault full of money, but failing to add to this team since we won the league has led to an obvious decline and the realisation that major changes are needed instead of gradual renewal, all at a time over the next two years when Klopp has told us he is leaving in 2024.

Occasional great performances get pointed to as evidence that this is still a great team, but performances like the one against Arsenal are coming with more regularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

If by investing nothing you mean Jota, Tsimikas, Thiago and Konate at almost 120m euro and signing most of our players to longer contracts is nothing, then sure we have invested nothing. This is the problem with not looking at the reality of the situation, you can create your own reality on what happened in the past.

Were Ox, Milner, Keita, Mane, Firmino, Taki, Matip, Origi signed to longer contracts recently? All contracts coming to an end by 2024 when Klopp leaves, all will probably need to be replaced in the next couple of windows. On top of that list, Jordan Henderson will be 34, Thiago 33 by 2024, Thiago has missed a lot of games since he signed, Jordan isn’t the player he was and has also picked up niggly injuries that take longer to recover from the older he gets. That is 9 players with relatively short terms remaining on contracts and unlikely to be given new long term contracts, and Hendo whose contract expires in 2025.

With Nat and Nico looking to move, nearly half the current first team squad excluding keepers will need to be replaced by the start of the 24/25 season. That is the reality of delaying refreshment of the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We on the telly box or are we being shafted again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A clear out? lol

Liverpool need signings, not trimming the fat.

Who are all the senior players that are going to get sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

• Advertisement

Team vs Brentford:

Alisson

TAA Matip VVD Robbo

Fabinho Hendo Jones

Jota Ox Bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Starting XI

Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jota, Firmino, Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would have liked Konate in the rear and Tsimikas. But at least they are on bench

Wonder if it's a diamond?

Probably 4-3-3 with Ox in midfield, Jones LW & Jota RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am happy with that team on the face of it.

Alot on Curtis to be the more forward looking of the three Midfielders tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

That is a different argument to what I replying to. Yes we will have a decisions to make on players in the next few years and that will be for the future. The poster was talking about past investment after we won the league and Champions League. I think I have shown we have signed new players and others to new contracts and that the line that our owners have "not invested at all" is false.

• Advertisement

That will be for the future? All those contracts except for Hendo’s are up by the time two more summer and January windows pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Or 4 2 3 1

Ox right, Jones left, Bobby 10 and Jota up front,

Or

Ox right, Jota left, Jones 10, Booby up front

Lots of flexibility with this 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, Salah aside, they’ve extended all the ones they wanted to extend, which was a lot of key players. You seem to be suggesting they should’ve extended all those other ones you list too, despite also commenting on the aging profile of the squad… you can’t have both. The un-extended ones would look to be the ones who will make way over the next year or two for younger additions.

i know we’re all a bit frustrated that we couldn’t build on the success more, but again, fckin massive pandemic losses and future uncertainty! That really can’t be stressed enough. It just is what it is.

I did not say they should be extended, I said they are going to need to be replaced over a short timeframe. All bar Hendo end on/before June 24, none are candidates for long term renewals.

• Advertisement

Good thing that’s 2 and a half seasons away I guess… Honestly, I’m not too worried about any of those exits except for up front. Good forwards are tougher to find. But the club has 2 and a half seasons to find 2 new good quality forwards… that’s ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Be nice if they take advantage of the sun in this first half, it looks to be a problem for their defenders and goalie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

All over them. Can't score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It will need to be a near perfect cross for Jota to beat Jansson in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

VVD really needs to be scoring more from set pieces, seems he wins every header in his own box, and not a single one in the oppositions box, maybe he should set up as a defender for the opposition when we have a set piece, not an attacker 😅

Off the line, from VVD ironically, should have scored !

All very pass pass pass, need individuals to be the difference in games like this, work the keeper, step up, so many touches in the box, no one wants to pull the trigger.

Would like to see Fab shoot more when the ball drops to him on the edge off the box with a little space. Has such a lovely strike, and keeps it down, so even if it hits bodies it’d create a bit of chaos that might drop for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Full disclosure, I backed nil nil at 11/1 at around 25mins. Feels very like recent games where we could be there for a week and create flip all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just looks like a repeat of Thursday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've switched to the other game, just in time to see Bowen score again. Its a shame we didn't go for him in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The vast majority on here said he wasn't good enough for us when we were linked.

He always seemed to do the right thing and pick up good positions but the end product was spotty. He's improved Thar though over the last little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

More of the same of Thursday. Firmino is dreadful.

We're a team of Best Supporting Actors, no one wants to be the Leading Man, the Hero.

Lovely turn and run from Ox there… maybe Bobby was the better passing option after though.

ha, I like the scouse shout there - “Pass it forward!!”

These look like they are more likely to score now. Depressing.

Or Ox needed to go it alone, work the keeper, bring a save, and a corner. But he looked for a pass within shooting distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Matip needs some shooting practice not how to shoot but when

This is painful to watch. Again.

• Advertisement

Go'wan Matip, showed some individualism , his shot was blocked, that was going in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Konate on for Firmino, play Matip as number 9. If it's obvious to all of us on here then how come Klopp can't see it?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fab is the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Goalllllllllllll

FABINHO !!!!!!!!!

Simple as that. Goal

• Advertisement

Such a simple goal, after all the huff and puff

Fab the man.

Deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Matip is going to bang one in some day. It'll probably happen when we are 3 nil up rather than struggling to score.

Brentford are going to score here..we are going to need more than one...and that is a problem

Thank Christ for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement