Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would take Klopp signing a contract extension over Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I wonder are they linked in some way, Salah more likely to sign if Klopp stays, Klopp more likely to sign if Salah stays. Probably doesn’t mean a lot, but both may see it as a sign of standards being maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pep is definitely in the running alright, but some coaches are always going to be better as just that, a coach. Pep already tried to make a go of a managerial career in the Netherlands but he only lasted 6 months at NEC. Now that wasn’t entirely his fault, there were of course factors outside of his control but Liverpool welcomed him back with open arms and he’s arguably been the best assistant manager one could wish for since.

He might not have the leadership qualities or people skills required for the job of Liverpool manager, I could be very wrong of course but footballing knowledge is only half the job when you manage a club, especially a massive one like Liverpool. One of the most important things is having the leadership skills and charisma to get your players to buy into your footballing philosophy. Guardiola, Klopp and Conte are probably the very best at that and it’s no coincidence that they’re regarded as three of (if not the outright) best managers in the world.

Things could change massively by 2024 and there might be some very surprising names in the mix to take over, but Amorim is certainly one I’d expect to be at a top club sooner rather than later, but I’m not ruling out Pep Lijnders by any means. I’m also very eager to see how Xabi Alonso gets on between now and then, I could definitely see him managing the club one day but he’s more likely to be the next one to after Klopp’s successor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think your on the money here,

Ljinders is extremely smart and absolutely brilliant at what he does ,but to be the main man at a club like Liverpool u need an AURA, u need that X factor,

I think Rafa had it when he arrived , he was more stand offish and more of a stern leader but he certainly had air of special to him , Klopp obviously has it in spades,

You need to be a guy that the opposition think about as much as they do your players,

We have some world class footballers the very best in the world but none of them come near to the manger in personality or Aura none of them dare step out of turn on or off the pitch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one wants Abramovich to win on Sunday. His silence is very telling of where his loyalty lies. I'd not even play them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think Jota will start,

Why would Pep & Klopp let Chelsea know best off saying nothing ,

Has there been any training pics posted this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I know everyone are not fans of FSG but in times likes this I'm happy to have them as owners than Russian oligarchs or petrostate rulers. I can't be justifying actions of others just to support my team, it's not worth it.

• Advertisement

Ye because Americans don't commit atrocities ,

I'm afraid if your rich enough to own a massive football club . if people dig they'll eventually find dirt ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hope it give the lads extra motivation to hammer a nail through Chelski on Sunday... 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

To be fair to Abromovic, apart from firing Ancelotti a bit prematurely, it is hard to criticise him as a club owner. He put a heck of a lot of his own money into the club and they have had more success during his ownership than at any other comparable period during their history. Whatever anyone thinks of him as a person, he’s been a good owner.

He just got in first and sold state owned assets after the fall of the Soviet Union. Not sure it's his own money, is now of course, but they way he made it was shady.

''in the early Nineties he was arrested for stealing government property – having used false documents to steal a train full of 55 tankers of diesel. But despite this, the charges were shortly dropped, becoming the right-hand man to Boris Berezovsky,Within a year of their meeting, Abramovich had moved into an apartment inside the Kremlin.

Thanks to Russia’s controversial loans-for-shares program and the fact that president Yeltsin privatised Sibneft, both Berezovsky and Abramovich were able to buy out the business for just $100m, despite its market value of $600m. This created the foundation for Abramovich’s vast wealth that we know about today, when he first sold his Sibneft stakes 14 years ago, he reeled in an estimated £1.8 billion. ''

More of a crimes to riches story, than a rags to riches story.

United ended their dealings with Aeroflot, fair play, Abramovich used to own that too!

At least our owners have no direct ties to such things. Abram got his wealth through pillaging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The yanks and Brits have short memories slating Russia for killing innocents.. hypocrisy of the highest order given their recent history... nevermind past.

As for Sunday,I've a feeling ,as it's the least prestigious cup,we will see the fringe and in n coming players start,i.e, Kostas,konate,Elliott,div,ox,Jones,as well as kellegher of course, mo and mane start too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Kelleher will be the only non nailed first teamer playing in my opinion. FA Cup follows, rotation can happen then.

Kelleher

TAA - Matip/Konate - VVD - Robertson

Henderson - Fabinho - Thiago

Salah - Mane - Diaz

Anything significantly weaker than that and I will be annoyed. There is a cup to be won, go and win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've a feeling that Konate might start. He's gonna be a long term club CB, he has to start some big matches. And this is a great final for him to get under his belt.

I think we'll go with this;

Hendo Fabinho Thiago

Salah Mane Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sometime, read about the Aluminum Wars in Russia after the fall of the Commie regime...

Now it's the Ukrainians who are being routed and pillaged, but 30 years ago it was Russia itself that was pillaged, ravaged, and carved up by a like of crooks.... It's these gangsters that stand to gain from any land grab that results from the invasion, Ukraine being a hugely rich country resource wise.

Comparing FSG to these mobsters and the regimes in the UAE and Saudi is disingenuous to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So you reckon we'll field a weaker team in the final than we did in the semi final?

Like, it makes sense to have fringe players in the first few rounds of the 'least prestigious cup', but this is the final! And a chance to put an immediate stamp on the season with silverware. I'd be astonished if anything other than a very strong team is put out, with Kelleher likely the only starter who's not arguably in our first 11 available. Personally I'd be starting Allison every day of the week too - last thing you want after a final is to be looking at a purposefully weak selection, and wondering if that's what cost you. That situation does Kelleher no favours either... anything other than a win, and it's likely his inclusion will be a big part of the discussion afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

My feelings on Kelleher starting the final is mixed, on one hand it be terrible for him not to start because he played the majority of the games but on the other side if we were to lose the final because of an incident that a more experienced keeper would've probably done better, then that could really put a dent in his confidence. It's a tricky one but I'm sure Klopp knows best so que sera sera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Klopp said something along the lines of 'if starting him works out, it's because of Kelleher, if it doesn't then it's his own fault'. Nice way of removing some pressure from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolutely no need to be rushing Jota back for Sunday. He hasn't trained all week

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Nobody is saying they don’t but FSG are far more removed from the American government and leadership than Ambromovich is from Russian leadership and City, etc are from Saudi leadership etc.

but don’t let that get in the way of your “edgy” views on the world

I think Klopp pivoting to taking the league Cup serioysly is about building his legacy as 2024 hoves into view... and departure. He's done with the building phase and now wants trophies. It could be a great few years, but sadly the Klopp era WILL come to an end in '24. 😞

Be optimistic, FSG hopefully will persuade him to stay longer, if Pep leaves, Liverpool could be primed for a golden era in the next 5 yrs, I don’t care as much for cups, I want to go ahead of MU in league titles.

Are we the home or away team tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I feel an epic Divock cameo coming anyway. Be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Edit: RE Pep L becoming manager. reply button doesnt show link.

It's hard to know. The pattern of the coach to manager failing is definitely a possibility. It worked at Liverpool for 3 successive managers though. There's also a perspective of some managers being great at dealing with great players but no good with less good players.

There's pros and cons with going with Pep. He'll either get the job or not based on that list. It would be fantastic if we didnt have to make that decision for a while yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The extra strength in the squad helps, realistically the cups have given us injuries before with no replacements available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

For a competition that nobody has given 2 steaming sh1ts about for manys a year, a competition we use to give our seldom spotted extras a run out and a taste of glory, suddenly there will be a huge spotlight on one of them if we don't win the final? Nope. Dial down that horse manure for 1 minute lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Starting off this season the league cup would be certainly lower down the list of objectives but when the team booked a slot in Wembley, then it became more than just the league cup. It's a final, it's against a big rival and there will be pressure on every player to deliver.

Believe it or not but players are in the business for winning trophies so tomorrows final gives them a massive opportunity of achieving some silverware.

Not one Liverpool player has made the team of the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A real David v Goliath clash on TV, the Red Army regime with massive resources and hated by millions the world over pummelling an underresourced defence but defiantly keeping their predominantly yellow flag flying....

Anyway, half time in the United/Watford game, I'm going to see how the poor Ukrainians re getting on

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Couldn't agree more, even if Kelleher is man of the match and we lose, the fact is with Kelleher in goal, it's a weakened team. It also sends out the subconscious message that the match isn't important otherwise Allison would be playing. If we win, it'll be forgotten about, but, lose and Kelleher's inclusion will definitely be pointed at as one of the reasons. It's a cup final and at the moment our best chance of silverware, why not play our best team? Allison should be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Because Kelleher got us to the final, he was good enough to achieve that so he's good enough to play in it. If we lose because of something he does no fan or player will be pointing the finger at him. Well some fans will no doubt😏.Neither keeper are a guarantee of success but if our ten outfield players turn up and play their best games, what our keeper does will be an irrelevance. He already played Chelsea and concede two and neither of them were his fault.

Burley, Newcastle, Watford, all gather points, Everton now 1 point outside the relegation zone. They need something later, looks like they'll finally go down if they don't pick up points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not being your fault, and someone else maybe still doing better are two different things though.

It’s also not like Kelleher played every game so far, he played every second one. In playing tomorrow, it’ll be the first time he’s played back to back EFL cup games this season.

Regardless who plays in goal, Kelleher will have earned his medal either way. It’s a team sport, and imo the good of the team should come before sentiment in a final (as seems to be the case in every other position where the fringe players will be left out).

I’m happy for him, if we win it’s great for his career. But if we lose, it’ll have been a mistake from Klopp. Hopefully it won’t matter one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I had a dream last night that Everton managed to draw with City.....

I guess it's time for me to cut back on taking peyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Newsflash. Klopp knows what he's doing.

He definitely knows more than posters on boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Course he knows better than us. But playing kelleher is wrong because he is not as good. It's just a fact. Hopefully it won't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am not doubting he is not as good as Alison, but the reason why players want to play for Klopp is because of decisions like this. He doesn't always get it right, but you cannot doubt his commitment to the players and therefor the players will not stop playing for him. If he were to turn on his decision to play Kelleher it could upset the dynamic in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Richarlison really is dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Top 3 in goal scorers and assists

That Salah lad is proving to be a decent buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus, he must have been bricking it that he was going to lose it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement