Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mo knows what's up. One down and I'm confident we get at least one more.

Also how good is our defensive line, impeccable game after game. Maybe the narrative will change around it being 'risky' but I won't hold my breath. Is it going to stop every goal? No but it's unbelievable at catching the opposition offside. It must be so frustrating for other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If this is the only trophy we win this year, I could see a million+ people out on the streets for the parade at seasons end, just as catharsis for not getting to do it after winning the league!

Also, I just bloody love Hendo's little trophy shuffle. Iconic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

This season so far in league games we've caught opposition players offside significantly more times than anyone else.

Here's the top 5 teams and the number of times they've caught someone offside:

1. Liverpool - 112

2. Man City - 68

3. Man United - 53

4. Brentford - 52

5. Southampton - 51

We are elite at doing it, it's no accident. 112 times in 26 games is 4.3 times per game

Worst in the league is Everton with 25 total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It would be interesting to know if there had been a discussion within the club about denying Man City the opportunity of surpassing Liverpool's number of titles. I remember Klopp's disbelief in 2015 when he learned that the semi-final was a two legged affair and his reaction was along the lines that it was another tv money decision. The club didn't take the competition seriously for subsequent seasons and Man City claimed 5 of their titles during that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

maybe, but i would say it was taken more seriously this year because the squad has sufficient depth now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, its definitely this and that they've won their primary target so now winning anything and everything is the next stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wonder how bad @Fitz* hangover is this morning🤣🤣

I don't think the squad depth argument works. We had a similar squad last season but chose to field a very weakened team against Arsenal in the fourth round - Adrian, Milner, Rhys Williams, van Dijk (Gomez), Nico Williams, Grujic, Jones, Wilson, Jota (Wijnaldum), Minamino, Salah (Origi).

The starting lineup and the three substitutions on 60 minutes were suggestive of a team fulfilling a fixture requirement rather than trying to win the game against a team they had blown away in a league fixture just days before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reports that Thiago had a tight hamstring which will be assessed fully today.

Better safe than sorry with Thiago he is needed more for the league and champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Which goes to show how much these finals mean to players. Nonsense that it's a mickey mouse cup etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Amazing game, best 0-0 I've seen probably. We are the absolute masters of the high defensive line, its so frustrating for other teams and adds lots of drama. Kelleher was a rock throughout, 23 years old he is going to be a real top keeper and is very unlucky he has a keeper like Ali ahead of him. The final was a tale of 2 keepers, the narrative before the game was how could Klopp leave Ali on the bench but his faith was repaid, while Tuchel subbed his world class keeper for a prima donna that loses the final for him.

Diaz is some player, reminds me of when Mane could torment a defender for 90 mins, whether he can match his goal scoring is another thing though.

Ya know what that's a trophy we should be getting to the final over every season, its a short tournament and a trip to wembley is a trip to wembley. I'm generally not bothered with it but winning feeling will give the players the lift to get over the line again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

At least Liverpool have qualified so far for the 2022-23 UEFA Europa Conference League 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I actually think winning this trophy is huge for the club. I know people play down the league cup, but it would have been awful to go two seasons without a trophy after the graft that went into last season and how good we've been this season. It will give the team huge confidence to fight for the other three, especially if we end up in another penalty shootout. The whole team scored!

Yes. It very much goes against the narrative that his heart wasn't in it at Liverpool and that he would be off to Barcelona. The team spirit at the club is unreal, and Klopp is to thank for that. He only signs good-eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Imagine if the club hadn't liberated Diaz from the clutches of Tottenham, he'd have been sat at home instead of winning a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Cheers Levy, he was the best forward yesterday and will have a big say in winning more trophies this season possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

He was excellent, he was very direct in a way that Mane just hasn't been as much this season.

Poor Reece James, first game back and he was run ragged. He's a Klopp player, works hard off the ball and transitions into attack quickly, just exciting to watch.

FSG in the house contract please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fair play to Kelliher but for the 3 disallowed Chelsea goals he was pretty awful,

Shot stopping is defo his weakness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

She still hasn’t aged a day since FSG bought the club, our Linda.

A clean sheet in a cup final too, JWH surely had his hands full last night!

Two good reaction saves,

The one very early and the Lakaku one late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

luis diaz ...timo werner...what a dodged bullet..holy crap

What team should play Norwich

---------------------------Kelleher-------------------------

?--------------Gomez---------------Konate------Tsimikas

--------Ox--------------Hendo--------------Jones--------

Minamino---------------Origi-------------------Jota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Elliot....i just picked it up to remove it so the pitch wouldn't get damaged.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Then I was worried about throwing it back towards the stands as someone may suffer from asthma and get a reaction from the smoke so I decided to keep it with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I waved it around to get a stewards attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kelleher

Gomez

Konate

Williams

Tsimikas

Milner

Elliott

Jones

Ox

Origi

Minamino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Cant believe he still gets away with what is basically cheating while taking a pen. The stutter pen was made illegal wasnt it? The idea was that forward momentum had to be maintained, well if you jump in the air you do not maintain that forward momentum. Seems so bloody obvious to me but as I literally never hear anyone else discuss it there must be something I am not seeing. Can someone enlighten me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Oh my lordy lord. That moment that decides a cup and it boils down to a contest between an ex-striker and Kepa. Karma has a lovely way to flash 2 fingers at you in crucial moments, and so it came to pass that Kepa Karma bit Chelsea in the arse, and sticking by your word/players won the day for us. When all other things were equal, a steadfast outlook and consistent leadership gave Liverpool the advantage yesterday. Thats what I love about this era, its seeing a collective effort which delivers more than the sum of its parts, through people & convictions rather than "pay-for-it-off-the-shelf,give-it-ere" crap of some teams.

If Chelsea had bought any other 100m striker they would have one that yesterday, but lets be honest that an example of inconsistent leadership (not using the data / input of people before selecting targets / lack of governance and strategy about the transfer) which we dont have to suffer with Klopp around. We may not spend like others, but in contrast we spend wiser. And we dont even need to wear last year's fashions. These lads are in prime form and now is when these types of buggers come to life, raging little winners with a taste of blood already on the tongue. I just pray for the safe keeping of our opponents in most cases. Not yesterday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

I think the stats say that Chelsea has 2 shots on target that were both saved by CK. As for the others they didn't technically happen as they were offsides so no need to save them, perhaps one of the reasons why VVD got the MOM award for only allowing 2 shots on target and numerous controlled offside lines to catch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't know why they don't change the rules that once you start your runup then there is no stopping. The keeper has to keep his foot behind the line now, with VAR checking it, so why should they have more of an advantage of being able to stop or pause taking the penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great win yesterday and always good to win a trophy. Great to have something to show for the season already and hopefully gives them confidence and keeps the momentum and feel good atmosphere of the last few weeks going. Delighted how it worked out for Kelleher in the end, still think Allison should have started, but, it doesn't matter now. Hopefully more silverware to follow this season.

Thought that Tuchel was trying to be too smart replacing Mendy with Kepa, looks great if it works out, but dump when it doesn't, especially as Mendy was playing well, is a rock solid keeper and has recently won a shootout, also ironic that Kepa was happy to come on, but, when the roles were reversed a few years ago he wouldn't come off - Chelsea still lost both shoot-outs.

The league cup might not be the most prestigious cup, but, it's always better to be winning trophies than not, takes a bit of pressure off for the rest of the season too and a reward for the effort so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

A more pressing change would be to insist that Goalkeepers must walk straight to the goalline when it’s their turn to face a penaly. Absolutely no reason whatsoever for the carry on of Kepa yesterday and Schmeichel in the earlier round. It’s for the ref to decide that the ball has been placed correctly by the taker, nobody else. Should be an immediate yellow card and if they get another yellow for doing it again, then an outfield player has to face the remaining penalties. So glad Kelleher didn’t start with that crap in both games.

Inside Wembly debuts on the offical Youtube channel at 8pm if you want to watch it on your big screens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fair play to Kelleher but.....

I was expecting a post like that to be fair. You commented again and again about Kelleher over the last few weeks, on how Ali should start etc.

On one hand I understand - play your best players but in the long run, Klopps decision was the correct one. Everyone at the club can see the trust he gives the players, all the players. The fact that he played so well and scored the 'winning' pen is a real cherry on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just spotted a nice little easter egg... if you google Liverpool, or Liverpool fixtures (what i did), you get a little fireworks display on screen!

VVD having a laugh with Fab saying no respect with panenka :)

He done his job and was a massive part of the win but like all players he still has room for improvement, lets not forget he is stul lat the very early stages of development,

Its ok to say even during a massive win his weakness was there to be seen

Delighted for him to be honest when calls luke that work it also gives the rest of the squad massive confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

😂😂😂 Surprisingly not bad today! The joy from winning a cup final still overriding! 2 visits to Wembley and 2 trophies now.

Brilliant day out though, Wembley is a brilliant stadium and they know how to put on a good show. I've a feeling the in the stadium was a Liverpool fan with his song selection too. The dance song to the tune of 'F**k the Tories' got a good airing too around Extra Time and gave the fans a bit of a lift, and it was needed as everyone was tiring then!

Didn't think Liverpool played at their best, but still got over the line. Which is the most important thing in a final. Delighted for Kelleher. He definitely justified the decision to get the start ahead of Allison, in normal time. Let alone scoring the winning penalty! One thing I thought though is that the players seemed calm for the most part. None more than Kelleher! Cook as a breeze. Even when he scored his penalty, it was just like 'yeah, whatever' type thing. He didn't even bother trying to get inside the heads of Chelsea players taking the penalties, whereas Kepa was trying everything he could. Also, every time Kelleher got the ball, he passed it short. Goal kicks or pass backs all went short. There must have been a reason for that. Be interesting to know why.

Diaz is electric. There was such a sense of excitement every time he got the ball. He has such a brilliant first touch and that burst of pace to get around a player. Very exciting player to have going forward.

Kelleher gets better each time I see him, thought he had a great game yesterday. I wouldn’t think any less of him for not saving penalties, for most keepers it’s luck when the takers kicks the same side they guess.

I think we should appreciate the times we see him, the reality is that Ali is 29 and probably has another decade at the top so it’s unlikely Kelleher will hang around in his shadow. Liverpool apparently have another young keeper, a Polish fella who is also being spoken of as a future star. I just hope Kelleher makes the right move at the right time and doesn’t end up where Henderson is at United.

Kelleher is now the most successful penalty shootout keeper in the history of Liverpool.

That is his 3rd penalty shootout victory as a Liverpool senior keeper.

Yesterday was only his 17th senior appearnace for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

If you're moving forward and jump in the air you still maintain forward momentum. Similar to how in rugby a backwards pass thrown by a player running at full pelt can look like a forward pass.

Advertisement