Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Slow clap for Chelsea fans again -

And that is why States with questionable reputations will buy a football club. You buy the loyalty of a fanbase. I bet if you give those Chelsea fans the out of Abramovich coming back and splurging his money away on them if Russia wins the war, they will be there in their pro-Russia chants to keep themselves at the top of the sport.

Even after it came out that the denials of Abramovich being close to Putin being a lie. Even after it coming out that he is the majority shareholder of a steel company supplying steel to make hardware being used to kill civilians. Even with Roman not coming out to speak out against what is happening, they still chant his name. Money well spent.

We dodged a bullet with DIC. We could have been in the position to try and defend horrible human rights records, had things worked out differently. We got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Didn't he "mourinho shush" us after scoring his penalty at Wembley? I'm petty enough to hold that against him for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Has Gerrard done enough yet to prove a point at least, Villa in a relegation battle when he took over, now 9th, they could finish best of the rest yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That Coutinho lad for Villa looks alright... 👀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

3 wins, 5 defeats in the last 10. I think it's too early to be saying he's proved anything. It's only been a few months though, let's be patient 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Not yet. On the right path though.

He should be consistent over 2-3 years..

Show some ability in Europe. A Europa League final would be impressive

Make players play above their grade over a prolonged period.

Show a good eye buying players.

Yea, but it was a Villa side in free fall, it's why they had to sack someone they didn't want to. Villa safe now, will be in the league next season. I think they'll be the WH of next season, in and around 4th, 5th, 6th throughout the season. Looking like he knows what he's doing, compared to Lampard for example.

Coutinho with 4 goals and 3 assists in 8 games was shrew business, players there with 26 games played with worst stats

• Yep, Countino was some business. No doubt whatsoever he'll be in for some Liverpool players in summer, Firmino to Villa? Jones, Origi, Ox, Gomez ,Balagizi, Minamino ,Gordon. Some sales, some loans. They all need a club.

I hope you're right! I just don't think we're there yet. And I don't like the media drive to assume he's our manager in waiting, he's got work to do first

• Advertisement

That's the thing about football progression always seems so clear and obvious until it stops. I'm more interested in how he gets it going after it stops next time and how he gets them more and more consistent. Arteta has restarted arsenal a few times now. SG would do well to take that next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm delighted for him that between the brilliant job he did at Rangers, and the decent job he's doing with Villa, that he's proven he's a good enough manager to have a proper career out of it. Would need to see more before he's ready for the Liverpool job of course, but I'm at least open to the possibility of it, where I wasn't in the past. He's doing the right things, and making smart choices.

Have to say, listening to his interview on Carra's podcast a year or so ago really turned around my opinion of him as a manager. Just came across so well, and I really liked the way he talked about his ambitions - that Liverpool would be the dream, but that he can't fixate on that because things like that require lots to go right... that he just wants to focus on being the best manager he can, and take the right opportunities to progress as they come along. He seems a lot more level-headed and grounded these days, with a better sense of perspective, than the way he was when he was younger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see the Premier League are allowing Chelsea to wear that badge for winning the World Club Cup but only let Liverpool wear it for one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I'd still rather be in our position than theirs, they probably wont be allowed have 3 on their jerseys by the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,098 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This might explain why Konate has been missing from training lately, and the Inter game.

• Advertisement

Gomez could start tomorrow then if Konate is out & the games coming thick & fast

VVD and Thiago missed training, as well as Konate... 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I mean it's clearly sh!te if we can't get a deal done but if it's not done by summer it's not getting done at all imo and I've made my peace with that. I'd be ecstatic if he signs but it doesn't look good.

Main thing is the club will always endure, we've lost star players before and been fine after it, Keegan to Dalglish, Rush to Barnes Beardsley and Aldridge, Torres to Suarez. Suarez himself was the most recent example of not replacing adequately and paying the price but lfc was a very different football club then to what it is now.

I'm sure Klopp and the recruitment team are planning for all eventualities. We've already seen our forward line begin to evolve away from the three amigos. It might have to evolve on the right hand side too unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thiago needs to be moved on this summer the chap is never available and its always something new,

The Wages he is on to be available every now & then just isn't good enough ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp says no new injuries, so isn't that like the 3rd time Thiago has got Covid?

Will they miss the Arsenal game ?

So Thiago has manged to miss miss, City,United,Westham x2,Chelsea x 3 ,Leicester now Arsenal ,

Loves a big game....spoof

Konate, Thiago & VVD all missed training the day after the Inter game.

Konate missed the game completely.

It could have been a recovery day for both Thiago & VVD for all we know. Nobody has said that they are injured.

A few more players could have done with the day off and a recovery day IMO.

Honestly his agent is the problem here, he seems a tool to put it mildly, I would have thought if anything was to be done contract wise it would be done during the summer anyway, as they will also save a few quid doing it...

At this stage, as much as I adore the man, we have been here before many times, and we will survive if he goes elsewhere....

Always swore to myself after Torres I wouldn't get attached to any star player again and it's served me well so far...

Thanks for the memories Mo but the club is more important...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

His agent is going to do what he can to get the absolute most from Liverpool, if he wasn't doing that Salah should sack him. And he's not doing it under his own will, if Salah didn't like him posting online he wouldn't. It's a game and you use whatever leverage you have. The guys leading the negotiations from Liverpool's side are likely not playing straight either. When figures pop up in the media it's likely leaked from one side as part of the negotiations. 

I still think it gets done sometime in the summer.

Its in Mo's interest to hold out a few months,

He will back himself to rediscover that unreal form of pre Afcon, and if it pushes us to another title he will use that as leverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the bigger loser if salah goes will be mo imo,he would get more money elsewhere,but im absolutely positive he will not be as effective anywhere else,under a different manager,if he goes we get haaland imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The only realistic landing spot I can see is PSG. 

Real - apparently getting Mbappe. Is Mo going to play second fiddle to him? Do they have the cash for him too?

Barca - no money but still make noise, is he interested in a rebuild?

Bayern - not paying the money

City - I really doubt he'd go there. Maybe he would but I doubt it.

PSG - losing Mbappe and may want to splash some cash but does he want to go to that **** show. Just show him a picture of smiling Liverpool Gini vs current Gini. The man spends his time liking Liverpool related posts on twitter. 

There's very few locations so the club are going to play hard ball all the way to the line and Salah rightfully is doing the same. And one of the above clubs will likely be getting Haaland too so likely not in the race for a 30 year old attacker.

He'll just wait a season and go for free. His options are much more plentiful if there's no transfer fee involved. I love him and I don't want him to go but as fieldog said we've been here before and the sky didn't fall in. I'm the same, I changed my attachment to these fellas after Torres. It'll be thanks for the memories and good luck. Also agree the grass may not be greener for him elsewhere, we setup to get the best out of him anywhere else he'll just be another player. He deserves to be our best paid player but I'm not sure there's a viable argument to be made that he should be paid way way more than Virg for example. Those two should be pretty close wages wise.

His agent is a twat though, its hardly a professional response to post a load of laughing emojis basically ridiculing what the most important man at our club just said at his press conference.

Also, can't be arsed worrying about what if's. This is the greatest Liverpool side I've ever seen and I'm going to savour every second they're together and celebrate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sounds like he's gone. Hopefully we get a decent wedge for him.

Diaz looking like a very smart signing. Add another attacker and we'll be in decent shape.

The last thing we want is a player or agent holding the club ransom.

Newcastle would pay him 500k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We have given Salah a contract renewal. It is up to him to sign it. He is free to look for more money somewhere else. If he really wanted to stay at Liverpool he would sign the new deal. He is not likely to be on low wages. He would be a big miss, undoubtedly, but we already have 2 very good younger players to replace the front 3.

He would do well to see how players have gone when they have moved from Liverpool. There has been more failures than successes and he would be expected to score loads of goals wherever he goes. If he moves for big money and he has a barren patch, how will his confidence go? Maybe that's just me hoping he will u-turn and sign for us at reasonable terms.

"Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says it is up to Mohamed Salah over whether the forward signs a new deal with the club.

Salah's current deal runs until the end of next season.

The 29-year-old has previously said he wants to stay but that his future is in Liverpool's hands and he is not asking for "crazy stuff".

"Mo definitely expects this club to be ambitious and we are. It's Mo's decision. The club did what it can do, that's how it is," said Klopp."

I wonder what options he has realistically. As posted upthread, maybe PSG can pay him more, but will they be able to satisfy him professionally? Ask Messi how much he is enjoying playing for PSG.

His agent putting it out there that he'd be happy to play for another Premier league team is surprising, didn't expect that from Mo but if that's what he's about all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Salah won't sign then he needs to be sold this summer. I'd gladly take Bellingham and Raphina as replacements.

Yes Raphina won't replace Salahs goals and he'd be a drop in quality but you could have Bobby and Mane as the old heads and then Raphina, Jota and Diaz as the new lads. That's still an excellent front five.

An added bonus would be David I think or maybe Saka even to fill Origi spot.

Someone needs to have a word with Salah, can't be letting the agent talk like that about being open to other PL clubs. If that was Pogba's agent etc talking in the media like that, we'd be laughing at them because of the way it is playing out. I know the agent is only trying to get the best deal for his client, but he is being an arse about it.

Salah has said he wants to stay at the club, and I believe it. Maybe the club are using this as their own bargaining chip.

Either way, they just need to agree to stop it playing out in public until the end of the season. Too much of a distraction. There is still a title race and European Cup quarter final to come. Can't be dealing with this every week instead. Go and win some more silverware and then talk.

Whether it’s true or not, 2 (3 depending on what happens with Chelsea) of the very few clubs in the world who could offer big money are English. If you rule them out, they’re backing themselves into basically PSG or nothing. Real are getting Mbappe and already confirmed they’re not going for Haaland, so would seem they’re blowing their load on Kylian. Barca in no shape to bring in that sort of expenditure right now unless their wage cap increases dramatically. Newcastle meanwhile would pay whatever is asked in a second, so makes sense for the agent to try to keep them on the table.

• Advertisement

Salah is a winner. Loves winning silverware. Newcastle would be a money transfer only. There'll be no major trophies there anytime soon.

Few mentioning Torres reminded me I watched this recently on YouTube from his documentary on why he left

The club was a mess when he left. Gillette and Hicks as owners with Hodgson as manager. Calamity stuff.

In hindsight, Torres was past his peak when he left. Those injuries caught up with him. Suarez came in and Torres was soon forgotten about tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement

It's from the Fabrizio video posted earlier. I don't usually listen to fellas like him but he's quite friendly with Salahs agent. Could just be his English and the way he says it but he seems to suggest that it's not certain he goes to another country of we don't play ball on the contract.

FSG (or NESV as they were at the time) and King Kenny had come in by that stage already, but you're right that it was still a mess. We were at the very beginning of a long road to recovery, and I can't imagine that was an appealing prospect for a lad who was already just after tipping past his peak.

Didn’t Carragher say in an interview that the players couldn’t believe Chelsea were paying 50m for him at the time because he was no longer the player he was due to injury.

Edit:

https://talksport.com/football/699188/liverpool-chelsea-fernando-torres-transfer/amp/

• Advertisement
Advertisement