Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭d1980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There is,get knocked out of the cup competitions at an earlier date!!! Bring it on is what I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Just to put our schedule into perspective, city have pretty much an identical one obviously playing different teams but also 8 games. Going to be tough but that is what winning brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Hopefully Atletico run city into the ground before both of our games with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It’s so good having all these big games. It’s what the club exists for. Been brilliant since Klopp took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

8 games but we can meet our goals without needing to win them all.

Watford win

Benfica lose

Man City Draw ( as I think they'll draw with Burnley when we play Watford) So it will be 72 Us, 71 City going into the game

Benfica win well, go through

Man City fa cup, draw, win on penalties

Man U win

Everton win

Newcastle win

We might need to add in a Semi Final CL game also, April 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Trent Alexander-Arnold’s hamstring injury isn’t serious and there’s cautious optimism inside the club that if he continues to respond well to treatment then he should be fit for most of that April schedule. - James Pearce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

That's the best possible news. Regarding our schedule, as another poster said the congestion is easily solved by getting knocked out of competitions earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This quadruple talk is nauseating. City have a better chance of winning the treble, yet no talk of it. High chances we still end up with just a league cup

This is so exciting though, every game is a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So a hectic end of the season coming up. With us in the QF and SF of the Champions League and FA Cup it means less open weekdays for our fixtures that needs to be postponed. This is what April looks like at the moment,

There is the Villa match that will need to be played. The open week between Everton and Newcastle is CL SF week. So if we get past Benfica then the Villa match will need to be played in May. If we get past City as well in the FA Cup then the Southampton match will need to be moved as well in May. So all looks good for 2 games a week until the end of the season, if we keep progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Genuine question - when was our last top-quality performance? It feels like we haven't hit fifth gear in quite a while. I'm not complaining - we keep finding ways to win. But I suspect we will need to rediscover that fifth gear in April if we are going to win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To counter this, I would suggest that maybe that is be default. There is no need to go at 100 mph, as long as the game gets won. This season is a marathon now, not a sprint, as there is still 3 more trophies to win.

Winning 1-0 while keeping players fit and ticking over is more important than winning 4-0. No point exerting yourself to get extra goals and being tired 3 days later.

I would expect to see a good bit of rotation now in April & May to keep some freshness. Keeping players like Tsimikas, Gomez, Konate, Keita, Diaz, Firmino fit and in rhythm will be important IMO as these are the players that will come in the most to rotate, and give the likes of Robbo, Trent, Matip, Hendo, Thiago, Salah etc some bit of rest too. Salah might not be happy with it but he has to start playing some 70 mins games if the game is won early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it's going to be a tall order to be at top gear given the month that is in it and all the games

Maybe I worded it badly. By top gear I don't necessarily mean running ourselves into the ground. I just mean a quality performance. We have been winning lots of games despite playing poorly - by our standards - of late. That is unlikely to work against City, Bayern, Real, Chelsea etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We are a much more mature side now,

We seem to be starting off games slow but steady lately and once we get our goal take the foot back of the pedal , I reckon its by design rather than not being able to reach top gear,

I reckon the City game you will see us really go after them ,

Be interesting to see what 11's Kloop use's in the Benfica & City games,

Don't like seeing us play United in that run but they might see our game as one they can lose, They have Norwich before & Arsenal after two absolute must win games for them,

I would say full strength but Matip/Konate and Diaz/Jota/Mane/Firmino will rotate.

Key thing for me would be putting the the Benfica tie to bed in the 1st leg if possible.

Some run Benfica, City, Benfica, City, United, Everton , Possible Champions leg semi final ,

7 games in 21 days

• Advertisement

City and Liverpool are so good, the probability of treble or quadruple is fairly low. On top of that you have another really good side in Chelsea in the cup mix. Give me the league now and I'll be over the moon

Id take the League first and foremost to, but why note take it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After last years disappointment we should go for the lot , time for Klopp's hard work to finally pay off ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'll take the league now and a hammering in the cups if need be 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That's a really tough fixture list we have for the remainder of the season. It's a tall order to expect us to win the Quadruple, but, probably never be in this position again, so might as well go for it and see what happens, hopefully we do add at least one more trophy. If we are to only win one, then personally I'd take the league over anything else, it's the most difficult to win, whereas there's always a chance in CL or FA cup.

Naby injured out of internationals , Knee issue,

A real black mark on otherwise flawless recruitment. Considering we even signed him a season before he was allowed live RBL he's been a big disappointment. I think West Ham at home was his first league game and I remember thinking "wow, the missing piece to the midfield he's like no other midfielder".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Generally speaking I know what you mean, just when it looks like he is building up a bit of rhythm an injury always comes along. But in this instance I would be stunned if he not back available for the Watford game. Guinea have 2 friendly games, not important ones, so I think the timing of it is "favourable" for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's just the hysteria Liverpool create when they do well

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Typical British media hype, build something up only to delight in the inevitable downfall, not much hype about the City Treble or the Chelsea Double but I suppose those stories are just not big enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

To be the fair in the last few years Pep would get asked about the quadruple every press conference when they had won the League Cup and were still in contention in all of the others competitions. And it would do his head in when asked about it and I expect it do the same to Klopp the longer we stay in contention in all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Naby out, Trent out, Robbo sick, all missing this round of games.

I wonder, I wonder.....

Have we gotten a bit cute in relation to meaningless international games? I'd love to think so, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Robbo has COVID, Milner too.

Some of the injuries (Trent & Keita) are timed nicely alright, if you could time them for any time, it would be during an international break full of friendly games.

You'd hope that Henderson might get away with only playing one game too. Hopefully Fabinho can play Brazil's first game and leave it at that. Stay in rhythm but also get some rest. VVD will probably play a lot of minutes for Holland alright, given the level of opposition, which is a bit of a worry.

Thiago & Firmino weren't called up for their countries iirc.

Salah, Mane, Diaz & Jota all have important games so they'll probably play a lot too. Pity that it's all the forwards that will okay the most games during the break.

But then players like Tsimikas, Origi, Kelleher, Elliot, Jones, Minamino can do with the international break and get games under the belt.

Why don’t fans want to get excited about winning? Liverpool are:

1. Carabao cup winners.
    2. One point behind MC with the possibility of winning the league in our own hands.
    3. CL quarter final against the weakest team remaining in the comp.
    4. FA cup semi final.

Why would anyone be nauseated by talk of winning them all? Sure the odds are against it, but if you take each comp in isolation and ask yourself can Liverpool win?, the answer is yes, so why not think about them all?

City are favourites to win the three comps they remain in, there is talk of them doing the treble, but here’s the thing, they have a tendency to blow it in the CL, so though they may be the bookies favourites, even their own fans aren’t overly confident they can win it, whereas we have shown that we have what it takes to win both the league and the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Yep it's a great feeling to have. The butterflies before each match..

The feeling of " this could actually happen "

The lads look so focused for it so bring it on and enjoy where it takes us...would settle for the league though 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'm going to try and enjoy this run in, 6 years ago every one of us would have chewed our arm off at the butt to be in the position we are in now.

This is the best Liverpool team in my lifetime, i was too young to appreciate the great teams of the early 80's, this team has world class talent throughout, no matter what we win this year Klopp has build his team on a pittance compared to others spending, and that makes it even sweeter.

ENJOY IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Absolutely. Better than scrapping it out for 6th or 7th and debating whetter we should go got the Europas League or just miss out altogether and rest the aplers a bit during Euro clubs midweek.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Enjoy game by game, don't get built up with impossible rubbish that means that even a Premier league win or champions league win will be seen as a failure, turning a fantastic season into a negative for the media and the knockers.

Don’t dare to hope in case you are disappointed? Sorry, no, I hope we win them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What will make a successful season for you?, sure we all hope to win everything but if your expectations are too high then you can never have a season you are happy with, i hate this nonsense of quadruples etc adding pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Dreaming for the best outcome is what fans are in it for Imo. For most of us that dream is over after the first couple of months of a season. Very few clubs even get to this time of the season with any chance of winning either of the big two. Not aimed at anyone but I've seen it before, too many fans don't allow themselves to get giddy at the prospects as a season unfolds and miss out on a fundamental part of supporting a team when they don't Imo. This is our escape from the realities of everyday life, It's about joy at the end of the day.

I don't think we'll win all four, don't even think we're favourites for the league or the FA Cup given how the draw has panned out but we definitely can win all four therefore I've got everything crossed that we do and dream of the possibility on the regular.

If we end up with just the league Cup it'll have been disappointing end to be honest given the position we find ourselves in. Both domestic cups would be a good but not great season. Imo from here we need to be winning one of the big ones for it to have been an unqualified success of a season but even that sounds weird given most of my adult life I'd have given anything just to win one trophy, any trophy but these lads are probably the best team I've ever witnessed and they deserve the big ones.

They themselves have a clear focus on trying to win them all I don't see why Fans dreaming of it adds any pressure, they put that pressure on themselves and seem happy enough to do so. Winning all four would set them apart from every other club in England, that's how difficult that is to achieve. But it's possible so I'm all in.

• Advertisement

Before the season started, I was hoping for a title challenge, and to go deep in the CL. Both are achieved. The league Cup was a nice bonus.

Fantastic chance to pick up major silverware now. The CL more likely imo, as I think City will probably win the league.

The FA cup will be a nice fall back comp to be still in if the other two go pear shaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I loved 2014 and 2018 and we didn't win anything. The losses were pretty bad but the journeys were savage. Dream and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Given the transfer and wage bills of the PL clubs, a good season would be pipping Arsenal for the last Champions League place. Man Utd should be be a tiny speck in the distance - which ironically they are, just in the other direction.

What Klopp has achieved and has the fans dreaming of, is nothing short of a miracle.

I’ve read in various sources that base pay at Liverpool is relatively low compared to MU/MC/Chelsea, but contracts are heavily incentivised with large play/win/score bonuses which are not always reported on wage tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We probably need to beat city on all three comps to progress/win them!

I'd love to see us have a real go in the league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It's great enjoy and if the stress gets to you in the run in remember to read the Everton and United threads for a great pick me up 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

"We are also continuing to work with both Network Rail and National Express"

In other words, we're not moving it but we'll put on a few coaches and claim that we care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So in the final stretch of the season the PL is Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, the FA Cup semi-final is Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea and the CL semi-final could be Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

One are the current CL holders, one are the current PL holders.

To win the 3 competitions we are in we have to beat the two best teams from last season. That would make this season something spectacular.

And then Everton get relegated as Liverpool get ready for the parade through the city!!! :)

Advertisement