Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That does look tough alright, but Klopp’s record in April and May has been outstanding since his very first season with us. He knows how to manage a high volume of games like that and seems to always be able to get the team to peak in that spell each season.

I’m not saying we’ll sail through it by any means, but that type of schedule is one Klopp would absolutely relish. With him in charge and the squad depth looking as strong as ever, I’m hugely confident of at least one more trophy. The bar is being set crazily high by some fans speaking of the quadruple (I’ve been guilty myself but more in jest than anything), so hypothetically, if we finish the season with a League Cup and FA Cup, 2nd place in the league to the best team in the world and knocked out of the Champions League by Bayern or lose in the final, you’ll have some people calling this season a failure.

Those people are best ignored, obviously, but this really is a golden opportunity for this squad to do something special and with the talent and character in that team, there really is every chance of winning more silverware. All of it? A step too far for clubs not owned by oil-rich states, I think.

Don’t think anyone has said the season would be a failure if we end it with two cups, but I think those two cups are less coveted than the other two. Do you not think this team would at least get the recognition it deserves by succeeding in the league or CL this year, and that it would be disappointing to not land at least one of them? I saw an interview with Klopp where he spoke about the season Pool lost by a point, he said that both teams were fantastic, the standard so high, but only one team won and that is what is important. So look, I know what you mean, Liverpool are great to watch, great team, great players, great owners, great stadium, great tea lady blah blah blah, but so what if the bar is set crazily high, great teams strive for great success, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t add to the Caraboa Cup because this team deserves more, and I’m sure the insane competitors in that squad will consider it failure if they don’t add at least one of the League/CL considering they are in charge of their own destiny.

I also think it’s bordering on an inferiority complex to think we can’t compete with likes of MC just because they are State owned, ok we may not have as much money, but Liverpool are by no means poor and seem to be smarter with recruitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I've also mentioned the quadruple once or twice but never in a way that we are gonna win it and let's be honest I'd be willing to bet that nearly all of us heard someone else (non liverpool fan) talking about the quad first cos they are terrified of it happening, mostly utd fans I would have thought. Its the usual set up, talk about us winning the quad so anything short of that can be seen as a failure when in reality it is pretty much every other team in the league that are are having seasons of failure, not us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The qualities of Kelleher for LFC may not transfer to Ireland team. Not sure we will be playing out from the back as much, and we don't have as much protection for Kelleher at set pieces as he is used to.

Neco is looking good with plenty of game time. If he can play either side then he may yet get some game time with us, though I suspect he has found his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Yeah - there's a few Man Utd heads that I know who are prone to talking up how the quadruple is Liverpool's to lose. 🤣

I call them the 2014 gang - 8 games to go in the 2013/14 season it was Liverpool's title to lose because we beat Man Utd. The week before they had been adamant that they were going to be the club to derail our charge up the table. It's all bluster to hide their fear being realized.

It's best not to engage with the nonsense as there's less fallout to deal with afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Yeah it's been really fun to watch first hand the demise of the common Utd fan into a weird sort of iteration of myself as a child and teenager, always believing the next manager would be the guy to turn it around etc. At least I had the excuse of childish naivety to hide behind.

Anyway of course the quad is possible just like it is at the beginning of the season for every club that enters all 4 comps, course it's not likely. Saying the quad is liverpool's to lose is actually hilarious and just shows how terrified they are. Just like alot on here were saying weeks/months ago when we were 10-12 points behind city we will hit a rough patch ourselves before the season is out, what we win will depend on how we navigate those patches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I adore this man, always will...

If I'm around tomorrow I'll watch the match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Some great names involved... Gerrard, Dudek, McManaman, Kuyt, Luis Garcia, Sami Hyypia, Maxi Rodriguez, Dan Agger, Carra, and Baros all signed up for pool, and Mendieta, Belletti, Saviola, Davids, Giuly and Rivaldo there for Barca. Presume Luis Garcia will play a half for each or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭No Bills

Legends game (Sat at 3pm) is available to watch live through Facebook for €2.29:

https://fb.me/e/2psdJk1y1

I don't even have a Facebook account anymore, can it be done via Instagram or the LFC site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

how are salah and mane doing in the rematch? i see egypt are winning 1-0 after bout 50 mins.

Just facebook for anyone outside spain (where it's on Barca TV), but looks like you don't need a facebook account to pay/watch.

https://www.facebook.com/events/491385972610253

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When is the second leg of the play off between Mane & Salah due to be played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I kinda hope that whatever happens in that game, neither of the lads are involved in the goals.

Grand...

I have Barca TV on the IPTV, need to brush up on my Catalan anyway 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well that's a bit pants, I was expecting to see it on the Lfctv station on my IPTV app. I'd nearly pay the 3 quid to watch it legitimately

Full team against Watford. Anything else bar a win here is inconceivable, and would be disastrous for the run in.

Rotate against Benfica (as crazy as that sounds for a CL QF 1st leg).

Full team against City.

Kill 'em that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd agree - while the League is in our hands it has to be the No. 1 priority by some distance - rotate for the cups.

• Advertisement

So about four thousand Liverpool fans and four thousand City fans get to pay the FA for bus travel to London for the semi final in wembley stadium with a capacity of 90k.

That is very kind of the the FA.

It won't happen however I'd love to see both sets of fans boycott the semi final and leave the stadium empty.

They don't have to pay for it to be fair to the FA but it's some jaunt on a bus going from Liverpool to London, wouldn't fancy that but if Liverpool were playing I would force myself, I've travelled further to see them 😂

Not sure if it's been posted already but a good, thorough article here from the Athletic on Liverpool's NFT venture:

I'll be staying well clear personally, but at fairly reasonable prices (comared to those utterly daft ape cartoons at least) and clearly being geared towards fans as digital collectibles rather than investments (although they still are just that), it's not the most unethical NFT campaign I've seen and I could understand some fans wanting to get in on it, even if I don't agree with the principle.

This NFT market doesn't seem to be going away, which is a real pity for the environment, so it looks like it'll be a thing we can only ignore if we choose to.

If it pays for Salah's contract though....let the fools and their money be parted. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Its bad imo , just makes us look very money hungry. Half agree with the salah contract thing though haha!

Oh it’s definitely money hungry alright, the whole NFT market is money hungry by nature. It’s a slightly lesser evil than some other campaigns, but it’s a bit like choosing your favourite Nazi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Haha Goring was a great lad! As ya say at least they arent mental prices

• Advertisement

NFTs are a slippery slope, really not happy about it, if Salah renewed it may change my mind also though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

All about the Dirk fella being back in a Liva jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The good thing about the league game against City, is that it comes early enough in our remaining fixtures that if we lose, we can concentrate on the cups as the gap in the league would be too much with the amount of games left. The City league game is really a must not lose game (ideallywe win it), as even a draw will give us a chance to win the league, but, it would be totally in City's control. Ther is no easy route to picking up any more silverware for the remainder of the season, as we will have to beat some of the best teams in the world to win any of the trophies on offer. I remember Bayer Leverkusen going for a trible and ending up with nothing, hopefully that doesn't happen us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stevie left the club far too early.

• Advertisement

At 35 and after a poor season, he left for the sunshine of California at the right time.

Mignolet in goal for Belgium and Caomhin in goal for us, bless...

*Shudder*

I don't miss Mignolet between the sticks, great servant etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

In fairness to Mig, he was a great shot stopper. If our goal was pummelled, you'd fancy him for a cleanie. However, after he joined we improved and we usually dominated possession and he switched off so the one opposition chance usually went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

He was brutal at times under Klopp, an expert at making himself look small

I think he saved a penalty in his debut or one of his first matches for us, I think I had in my head he would be great from there but he never really lived up to it for me....

He saved a penalty in the 89/90th minute on his league debut against Stoke. It was a bizarre signing because he was never anything more than a shot stopper when under pressure. He looked good at Sunderland because their team was woeful and his goal was regularly under siege. Marc Wilmots, the former Belgium manager, said that Mignolet was a nice guy but he lacked the drive to push himself to be a top athlete, he took criticism personally rather than in the spirit of seeing it as an opportunity to improve his game which is why he would only be a #2 or #3 keeper for Belgium - that was following Mignolet's reaction to being displaced as the first choice keeper for the national team.

In the same transfer window Gulasci went to RB Salzburg and Pepe Reina was shipped off to Napoli. Letting Reina go was understandable, he had suffered a back injury the previous season and it was affecting him, but Gulasci had been called up to the Hungarian senior squad and looked like he was a decent keeper.

Gulasci said in an interview a few years ago that Brendan Rodgers had told his agent that he had no future at the club and the contract extension talks ended there. Prior to that there had been an option of a three year extension with Gulasci going out on loan for the first two.

In hindsight, the £10M spent on Mignolet would have been better invested elsewhere in the squad and the keeper that Rodgers should have got rid of was Brad Jones. Danny Ward and Peter Gulasci have shown themselves to be more than decent keepers that could have filled the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

That's interesting about Gulasci - didn't know that.

Mignolet was a good shot-stopper at Sunderland but rarely made the sort of saves etc that Allison does on a regular basis.

The upgrade to Allison was huge - if we had Mingolet in goals for the Arsenal game for example there's no way he makes the save Allison makes.

Love the pose from the kid at the very end... like a pro

As the comments say, smart kid with his Liverpool jersey waiting for VVD signature... 👍

• Advertisement

I know it's popular to bash Brendan Rogers here, but, tbf to Rogers, Gulasci had never played a senior competitive match for Liverpool, he had around 50 senior appearances all for lower league clubs and his contract was up. Brad Jones (terrible goalkeeper btw) had a few senior appearances for liverpool at that stage and also qualified as a "home grown " which I think Gulasci did not, the decision could have came down to that. In hindsight Gulasci should have been kept instead of Brad Jones, but, he would still have likely been second choice to Mignolet.

At the time Mignolet was probably the best keeper in the league outside the top clubs, and we were still recovering from H&G and the Hodgson disaster. Mignolet was as good a goalkeeper as we could attract at the time, we were a long way behind Chelsea, City, United and even Arsenal. We were struggling to stay top 6, (think we finished 7 or 8 the previous season). Before the season absolutely no one expected the season we were about to have in 2013/14.

The Barca media tapping up machine is back up and running..

Salah is fixated with Xavi and playing under him at Barca and will push hard to get a move there this summer

Where are Barca suddenly getting all this money, aren't they supposed to be bankrupt, yet, they seem to be getting linked to everyone lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very typical Caomhin performance he looked assured and full of confidence but lets in a goal where you think could he have done better but aren't to sure,

Shot stopping is without doubt the weakest part of his game

They are taking out more loan and just digging themselves deeper in debt

Gulasci was signed as a very promising prospect in 2008 and was certainly qualified as a homegrown player by the time Rodgers became manager at the club in 2012. It wasn't my intention 'to bash' Rodgers, there is no getting away from the facts though - he was responsible for the contract extension not being an option for the player and also blocking him from going out on loan. Those decisions were made shortly after Rodgers became the manager and before the 2012/13 season began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Buzzing just got tickets for the watford and everton games, haven't been since the start of the season and that was away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Damien360

Goldman Sachs owns the debt. The loan is supposed to cover the stadium renovation also.

“Too big to fail” comes to mind. I reckon they will need a bailout if €100m is being used just to cover contracts and wages for this year alone.

https://insidersport.com/2021/05/19/fc-barcelona-secures-e500-million-goldman-sachs-loan/?amp

At that stage Mignolet would still have been No 1, Gulasci is a decent keeper, certainly better than Brad Jones, but, he wasn't ready to challenge to be No. 1 at Liverpool at that time, he went to Austria ( not exactly a top tier league)to gain experience. In hindsight it looks a poor decision by Rodgers, but, at the time no one probably even batted an eyelid at the decision. It's not the first and won't be the last time a player left Liverpool and went on to have a decent career. Look Klopp signed Karius and we all know how that turned out, just because Gulasci has gone on to have a decent career elsewhere doesn't mean he would have succeeded at Liverpool, sometimes players need to move to better their career. It worked for Gulasci, Karius should have followed his example.

• Advertisement

SOS statement on NFTs...

"If you want to spend your hard earned on digital jpegs, off ya pop basically..."

Advertisement